Supply chain disruptions thread

Nordwand

Kingfisher
Absolutely excellent comment. You confirmed what I thought about stagnant demand and that site is very helpful.

It's a global world, baby! Most people are unaware that half their food they buy at the grocery store is actually from outside the US. China is just the sweatshop of the world but that does appear to be changing as we came close to the new decade.
I do my best to buy my fruit and vegetables from British suppliers, but it's far from easy, especially when produce that you would think is local comes from somewhere like Costa Rica. I doubt if many people read the country of origin, even though it's on the main label.

Grow Bag

Pelican
Since I have no worries about my ability to survive austere conditions from my life experiences... The "prepping" I am doing is strengthening my relationship with my Church family and making sure I've explored all the relationships there.

There's a level of common sense physical preparation and Maslow's hierarchy ect... But after a certain point, no amount of bullets, beans and bandaids can replace community and connection.
Maslow's heirarchy is Masonic, humanist creed. It's the lie of progress and an inversion of Christianity that if man has his material and emotional needs met he will achieve transcendence. Fallen man does not ascend as his needs are met, spiritually he is most often even more estranged from God. Christ and the Saints tell us that denying our needs, our material concerns, brings us closer to God. That is true transcendence. For most lay people that means frequent fasting, thinking of others and their needs and, most importantly, constant prayer. We are called to transcend our fallen nature, not to indulge it. The Lords Prayer and the Beatitudes tell us that it's by faith our needs are met for that day.

This is a bugbear of mine as it was force fed to me at university. Even then, before I had turned to Christ, I knew it was untrue, but it's become enshrined and to critique it, sacrilege. Sorry to contradict you, but it needs to said.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
Maslow's heirarchy is Masonic, humanist creed. It's the lie of progress and an inversion of Christianity that if man has his material and emotional needs met he will achieve transcendence. Fallen man does not ascend as his needs are met, spiritually he is most often even more estranged from God. Christ and the Saints tell us that denying our needs, our material concerns, brings us closer to God. That is true transcendence. For most lay people that means frequent fasting, thinking of others and their needs and, most importantly, constant prayer. We are called to transcend our fallen nature, not to indulge it. The Lords Prayer and the Beatitudes tell us that it's by faith our needs are met for that day.

This is a bugbear of mine as it was force fed to me at university. Even then, before I had turned to Christ, I knew it was untrue, but it's become enshrined and to critique it, sacrilege. Sorry to contradict you, but it needs to said.
I understand the overarching point and appreciate the notion of being against merely worldly concerns... But I would point out that fasting by choice out of piety and starvation via lack of ability to acquire food are two different things.

Becoming destitute by choice vs having no ability to provide shelter for your family are two different things.

Of course we should be focusing on God... But it would be equally irresponsible to not acknowledge basic survival needs... Especially when you are responsible for many children.

I know God will provide for me. Doesn't mean I'm not going to spend some effort fortifying my provisions be it material, or immaterial via building relationships in Church/life ECT.

To dismiss the point I am making is a bit naive if you're responsible for anyone other than yourself as a Man.

Grow Bag

Pelican
I understand the overarching point and appreciate the notion of being against merely worldly concerns... But I would point out that fasting by choice out of piety and starvation via lack of ability to acquire food are two different things.

Becoming destitute by choice vs having no ability to provide shelter for your family are two different things.

Of course we should be focusing on God... But it would be equally irresponsible to not acknowledge basic survival needs... Especially when you are responsible for many children.

I know God will provide for me. Doesn't mean I'm not going to spend some effort fortifying my provisions be it material, or immaterial via building relationships in Church/life ECT.

To dismiss the point I am making is a bit naive if you're responsible for anyone other than yourself as a Man.
My comment didn't address you point, which is sound by the way, so don't take it personally. The whole of my comment (as I did explain), was about the referencing of Maslow's hierarchy of needs (lower case is all it deserves). It's a strong meme, in the truest sense of the word, and is used everywhere. At some point most people have heard about in training days, university courses, schools, etc. I come across it all the time. All I did was offer a brief critique and I'd do the same for any Christian using it. I detest it. It's a lie.

It was suggested in the coronavirus lounge that somebody start a thread on the breaking down of the supply chain, so here it is.

At my job we were unable to get paint to paint curbs with, due to this problem.
I’m a roofing contractor, my biggest problem is aluminum for gutters, most of the colors are unavailable and long waits for the ones you can get.

uncledick

Woodpecker
I'm in healthcare in Canada, we are running out or don't have Normal Saline flushes for wound cleansing, dressings and bandages are getting rarer and of poorer quality, various medications are constantly out of stock. Even basics like toothpaste for our patients is constantly on back order.

It seems everyday we are just getting by with luck and improvisation.

I expect the panic buying to start, making things worse. The supply shortage issue has been floating in the news so normies will go to the supermarket and buy whatever they can afford. Remember just a few months ago on the east coast they were putting gasoline in plastic bags because of a temporary shortage. November could be a challenge. Get used to going to multiple stores on the day you shop for food.
That's what baffles me about the everyday normie NPCs.

They seem never to have eyes to see or ears to hear.

Ray Charles could go to your local supermarket and see something is going on.

He could also drive by a car lot and see there isnt any inventory on the lot.

Yet they do not see nor hear, let CNN or Rachel Maddow say something and they are activated.

Matthewww

Pigeon
I ordered a new hybrid SUV, and there's a several month wait to get it. At least if there's a gas shortage, or gas costs $10/gallon, I'll still be able to afford to drive some. Or if I loose my job due to the injection mandates I can do a drive service app for some income. As soon as I found out my 6 year old car was worth $2k more than it was a year ago I knew inflation was going to wreck us, so I decided to order a new one because it might be the last time I can afford to.

I also had to order an inverter generator and a small trailer, both have waits to get. I'm trying to think ahead and buy/order what I could use next spring for a garden and stuff now because I'm not optimistic it'll be readily available in 6 months or it'll cost 50% more.

I went to Ikea, and it is in shambles. Ton of stuff out of stock, or it's in stock but they say it out of stock, until you get to the warehouse, and it in some random location. I heard a couple of employees complaining in the warehouse about mistagged items so they don't even know what they have.

Beacon

Robin
The unconcern about these supply chain disruptions is all because they will roll out the digital currency and the resulting planned "ration economy". I would say they are confident about its success. The normies will have a tough time and my guess is that in order to get social credit they will do more and more to appease but like the insect drawn to fire will lead to their eventual destruction.

Easy_C

Peacock
Here's one oddity I'm noticing: The impact on consumer goods is negligible to non-existent for heartland retail stores that I've seen. Prices are going up dramatically and every so soften you see a non-core item go temporarily out of stock but it isn't the cataclysmic, ubiquitous shortages I'm seeing everyone reporting elsewhere.

There's a regional component to this which is dramatically understated and I don't understand why this would be the case.

Dilated

Woodpecker
Here's one oddity I'm noticing: The impact on consumer goods is negligible to non-existent for heartland retail stores that I've seen. Prices are going up dramatically and every so soften you see a non-core item go temporarily out of stock but it isn't the cataclysmic, ubiquitous shortages I'm seeing everyone reporting elsewhere.

There's a regional component to this which is dramatically understated and I don't understand why this would be the case.

Good point- seeing zero supply chain disruptions here in S. America. There’s something else going on.

hkhathaj

Woodpecker
In Hungary there is a shortage of AdBlue. Newest diesel engines do not work without this substance. It is consumed by the car to reduce harmful Nitrogen Oxides in the exhaust.

Cars that require AdBlue stop when the AdBlue container is empty. In theory these engines can run without AdBlue if the computer is reprogrammed to run without AdBlue. That is illegal though because that increases environmental harm.

Many trucks of the transport companies run modern diesel engines that require this substance and there is a danger that they will have to shut down.

I have asked it at many petrol stations and they really don't have any. People say the scarcity is temporary and there is some AdBlue delivered to the stations but that is all bought up by neppers at once. They then sell it with a huge profit. (I have bought 10L for 11000HUF (~35USD) instead of 6000HUF.)

It is said that natural gas is used to create this substance and natural gas prices elevated 70% and for that reason the factories stopped producing urea which is the main ingredient of AdBlue. This started the scarcity that was made worse by speculators and panic.

As far as I know urea is also a key component of fertilizers. If there will be a shortage of fertilizer that can be worse than the shortage of AdBlue.

Easy_C

Peacock
I’m a passenger in a vehicle traveling down I70 as I type this.

Normally at this point in time (2250 local) the highway would be crowded with trucks going both directions. Instead it’s eerily dark with clusters of 3-4 semis every 10 minutes or so. Traffic at truck stops is noticeably light and those venues are mostly quiet whereas normally there would be a steady stream of overnight crews stopping for a piss and coffee.