Supply chain & energy/food/commodity disruptions Megathread [USA]

Ozzymandius

Robin
Non-Christian
Forgot to mention this has happened before. 1995 in Nebraska and Iowa

Okay, I did some deeper digging and it appears you are CORRECT and that losing 10,000 cattle to weather has indeed happened before.

So the mass cattle deaths a couple of weeks back in Kansas has other explanations other than sabotage.

But I think we can all agree that the burning of food processing plants in the past 18 months does appear to be sabotage.

For anyone interested, here is a 1996 report detailing cattle losses (all causes) across the USA, 1991-1995:

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahms/general/downloads/cattle_calves_deathloss_1995.pdf

Easy_C

Peacock
yeah, that one I've thought is weird. Initially the explanation that we were seeing more accidents due to over-capacity schedules and maintenance neglect (pandemic caused) made sense, but the odds against two separate small planes would both crash directly into food planets are....massive. It's extremely rare for them to hit buildings at all because most of the time the pilots are aiming for a road or open space when something malfunctions.

FrancisK

Pelican
Catholic
Gold Member
As a person who lives in the midwest, I can say it was a drastic change in weather from the extremely and unseasonably cold and wet April and May, into all of a sudden 90's and hot sunny days. It was a shock to the system for everyone.

Yea we didn't really have spring this year, it was freezing all spring then just went to instant 90 degree summer.

Max Roscoe

Ostrich
Orthodox Inquirer

Big if true: Diesel shortage along the east coast.
This would absolutely paralyze modern fragile America.

I've posted here about how we couldn't get Shout! brand stain remover for 2 years.... imagine the same shortage and lack of reaction for everything you buy at the store (of course there would be some mobilization to get food distributed but... they have not planned for the fertilizer shortage caused by their anti-Russian hysteria).

get2choppaaa

Hummingbird
Orthodox
If you want to have your mind blown....go to the EIA . Gov website and look at the diesel gas index. You can look at the historical data by region or nationwide.

Diesliel is going up between 5 and 10 cents a week since January. 62 percent increase from Jan to March.

I check this weekly as it's part of my job as a logistics manager for an oil and gas company.

People are not ready for what's coming and we haven't seen the peak with harvest season yet either.

Garuda

Pelican
Protestant
The CEO of Pilot Flying J just testified on diesel related shortages and stated that that Union Pacific wants to reduce shipments of diesel exhaust fluid by 50%. DEF is required on all newer diesel trucks in the US. It's sprayed through the exhaust system and turned into ammonia by a catalyst to break down emissions into nitrogen and water. If the company does not go along with Union Pacific, they could be embargoed and that would lead to bankruptcy.

budoslavic

Eagle
Orthodox
Gold Member

East Tennessee food processing plant closing, 200 jobs lost​

Officials with George’s Prepared Foods announced they were closing their plant in Caryville, according to Campbell County Mayor, E.L. Morton.

Officials with a food processing plant, George’s Prepared Foods, announced they were closing their Caryville location, leaving nearly 200 people jobless.

Campbell County Mayor E.L. Morton told WVLT News that he was trying to keep the plant open.

“I have contacted the Tennessee Economic and Community Development staff to request assistance in keeping the plant open or facilitating a sale to another operator,” Morton said. “I have requested Governor Lee’s assistance as well. My primary concern is for the welfare of the dedicated workers who have been the backbone of this operation. Our prayers go out to them as well as our very best efforts to keep them employed in Campbell County.”

Senior Vice President of George’s Food, Robert George, released the following statement about the decision to close the plant:

“Assuring the long-term strength of George’s requires us to carefully consider how our individual business units are performing and to understand their growth potential. It is a challenging time to be in the prepared foods business, and we have been carefully evaluating how we navigate the volatility in beef and pork markets.

We have made the difficult, but necessary, decision to discontinue production at the Campos Foods plant in Caryville, Tennessee, effective September 2, 2022. We have notified the plant community, our customers and team members who are affected by this change.

Caring for our team is a value we firmly hold, and we will work closely with our impacted team members in Caryville to support them as we transition. It is important to know we considered all possible options before coming to this conclusion, and while it is disappointing, it is the appropriate long-term path for our business.

George’s will continue to focus on producing high-quality poultry products and creating a strong and stable future for our business and for those we serve.”

Max Roscoe

Ostrich
Orthodox Inquirer
^^ I wonder what the real story is there.
Chicken is probably the cheapest protein there is, and surely with the economic problems we have now, demand is up. So if they are not cutting the supply of chicken, where are they getting it from? Shipping it in, pre-processed from overseas?

Or maybe they are cutting the supply and we're supposed to start the eating insects thing already.

Garuda

Pelican
Protestant
They're resuming federal drilling.

You want the latest gas prices? Sorry. We're having a computer failure.

FWRJ77GWQAE1wKs.jpg

Samseau

Eagle
Orthodox
Gold Member
They're resuming federal drilling.

Too little, too late. Won't make a dent for November. Any land they start drilling on now won't hit the markets till post January almost guaranteed. Markets are NOT forward looking with inelastic goods. Once you've killed the Golden Goose, the sky is the limit for the price (or shortages).

On top of that, the main problem isn't a lack of oil, it's a lack of refining capacity. The last refinery built in the USA was in 1977. Building new refineries take 10+ years to build. The Keystone pipeline had some refineries attached to it, which is why 30K workers were laid off when the project was canceled, but still this administration refuses to budge on bringing more refineries online. $10 gas and $17 diesel, here we come!

Last edited:

get2choppaaa

Hummingbird
Orthodox
Too little, too late. Won't make a dent for November. Any land they start drilling on now won't hit the markets till post January almost guaranteed. Markets are NOT forward looking with inelastic goods. Once you've killed the Golden Goose, the sky is the limit for the price (or shortages).

On top of that, the main problem isn't a lack of oil, it's a lack of refining capacity. The last refinery built in the USA was in 1977. Building new refineries take 10+ years to build. The Keystone pipeline had some refinaries attached to it, which is why 30K workers were laid off when the project was canceled, but still this administration refuses to budge on bringing more refiners online. $10 gas and $17 diesel, here we come!
Correct.

They've killed any investment incentive for refinery expansion. Refineries are already operating in the mid to high 90 percent.

Samseau

Eagle
Orthodox
Gold Member
Correct.

They've killed any investment incentive for refinery expansion. Refineries are already operating in the mid to high 90 percent.

96% last I checked, and they are old clunkers that continue to rust and fall apart each year. Last year our refineries lost the ability to make about 500K barrels of gas, and it's been shrinking this year too. Imagine if a massive hurricane knocks out a refinery this summer/fall... the devastation on the economy will be depression inducing.