Survival in post-coronavirus world (prepping, supplies, protection, money)

RWIsrael

Woodpecker
RE: Survival in post-coronavirus world (prepping / supplies / protection / money)

So when is actually the right time to take your go-bag and E&E out to the mountains to live off the land?

It would be awkward if I put my zombie apocalypse disaster contingency plan into action and gone all "Lord of the Flies" mountain bum survivalist mode, while everyone else just stayed home for a few days and then went back to normal...

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
RE: Survival in post-coronavirus world (prepping / supplies / protection / money)

RWIsrael said:
So when is actually the right time to take your go-bag and E&E out to the mountains to live off the land?
Never. You need to have a destination where you have supplies. Preferably at a family member's rural home. People planning to live off the land are planning to die.

It would be awkward if I put my zombie apocalypse disaster contingency plan into action and gone all "Lord of the Flies" mountain bum survivalist mode, while everyone else just stayed home for a few days and then went back to normal...
Very true. You need to be able to establish a prolonged downward social spiral from which there is little to no chance of escape. Alternately it will be blatantly apparent from the word go. An EMP or a civilisation-ending solar flare for example. Don't forget that people are sometimes forced from their homes by other events like war or serious riots. The whole point of a go-bag is that it's ready for the stuff you don't see coming a mile away.

Dallas Winston

Ostrich
Gold Member

Sargon2112 said:
Regarding the apparent ammo shortage I'm hearing about, I've got plenty but it's not excessive. No stash can last forever, especially if, God forbid, you had to start using it for what it's intended for. I never learned to reload ammo. I will be learning and buying the required equipment.

Luckily, I have a buddy who reloads, so I can learn from him.

To second what someone else already has said, you need to target practice to stay sharp. Use cheap, small caliber ammo for that and for shooting varmints.
You can also kill a lot of food / small game with a 22 if SHTF. Don't use your high end expensive stuff unless it is necessary. It will become scarce if SHTF. Save it.

I see too many guys with expensive, large caliber weapons just wasting ammo ($$$) at the range to show off for other people. I know it's fun to shoot big guns, but think about what it costs you with each pull of the trigger and think about who you are showing your hand to.
FWIW you can buy "practice lasers" for the popular 9 mm round. You insert these into the breach, and every time the hammer clicks the laser, a dot shows up on the wall right where you're aiming. It helped me with accuracy at the range with real ammo.

https://www.amazon.com/G-Sight-Luge...ld=1&keywords=9mm+laser&qid=1585325414&sr=8-3

I used these to practice for a few shooting tourneys I did. Just went in my garage and, at about 7 yards, practiced on sillouette targets taped to the back wall.

Yeah, it's not shooting real ammo for which there is no substitute, but it's better than nothing and you don't have to buy ammo to "practice" Like I said, I saw improvements.

You can couple that with the the "Splits" app or some other shooting timing app on your phone. you press a button and a buzzer goes off a few seconds later that indicates when you draw and shoot ( from concealed carry or a holster) It helps with speed. That's what shooting's all about - accuracy AND speed.

They may have these breach lasers for other calibers too. I haven't checked.

Laner

Hummingbird
Gold Member

For you Canadians on here, having a bucket or two of .22 rounds is handy. They are quiet, light, last forever, and can be loaded into larger mags. They can also blast out the lungs and shatter ribs of a human at 10m no problem.

Right now though its more of a 'know your neighbors' scenario.

Keep off the streets.

Have food for at least two weeks.

HAVE A PLAN.

No one in Canada is gonna be able to bug out with a bag and head into the woods for more than a couple months before they die of exposure. Probably less.

Now if you want to Road War, that is a different story.

Matsufubu

Pelican

UK folks: if you're hitting up the supermarkets for toilet paper, pasta, meat etc then good bloody luck because that's what everybody else does. I tried Poundstretchers at a retail park yesterday and was the only person in there. No shortage of toilet paper or anything else, really. Also try The Range, B&M, Home Bargains etc.

Also try your Polish shops. The ones near me have shedloads of pasta, butter, canned goods etc. Oh, and loads of booze.

Foolsgo1d

Peacock

Matsufubu said:
Also try your Polish shops. The ones near me have shedloads of pasta, butter, canned goods etc. Oh, and loads of booze.
shhhh, we dont want to tell the plebs.

mbare

Woodpecker
Gold Member

Maybe someone mentioned it, but just as important, if not more important than having survival gear is knowledge. Shows like Survivor Man, channels like Canadian Prepper, Full Spectrum Survival, Brent0331 and many others are good.

There are other good prepper websites like Survival Pulse and Preppers Daily News to that give good updates and info.

However we can't always expect internet, electricity or sites like Youtube to house info. Make sure you have books or start a binder with knowledge/info.

SAS Survival Guide is a good one to start with. I also have The Self Sufficient Life and How to Live It by John Seymour. A book or two on basic crude medicine is good to. I live in the city, so one of the big downfalls is not being able to practice gardening like I'd want, plus having a lack of tools. I suppose though if things got really bad, I'd manage to come by them fairly easily nonetheless.

Stay well everyone.

Oberrheiner

Pelican

Books and shows won't help you much.
Go live a week in the forest, and pay great attention to how much you lack in terms of pretty much anything.
Then go back home, and make more realistic plans - no more hollywood fantasy crap.

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member

The only forest-based bug-out plan I credit is one where you have already stashed literally months worth of food and medicine in the location you plan to escape to.

Laner is correct about the 22lr ammo. 12 gauge is also good. Even the most basic rimfire rifles and break action shotuns are cheap and reliable these days. It baffles me why any man in times like these wouldn't own at least one gun. In the CONUS region you can get a break action single barrel for <$100, a pump for <$200 and a semi for <$300. For $30 more you've got 100 rounds of basic trap ammunition. Toss in another ten bucks for some serious buckshot and you've elevated yourself from victim to survivor for all conflicts against men armed only with the primitive weapons junkies and man-cattle are likely to be wielding.

Dudes pay considerably more for the rims on their car. I'll never understand it.

Foolsgo1d

Peacock

Bugging out to a location where you dont have 4 walls and a roof over your head is madness and a pipe dream. Very few scenarios would call for such measures.

H H

Pigeon

Easy_C said:
To expand on the go-bag....

As a former combat arms person (both enlisted and officer), I'll add that the single most important piece of gear you can carry is having extra pairs of underwear and socks.
You may have been a former combat arms person but you were probably not a commando. In all seriousness, I carry 3-4 and roll them up like a sock and stuff them into small spaces in my backpack.

H H

Pigeon

Do you guys think a fully functioning police force can keep the peace & order? Or can criminal gangs or cartels (easily) throw a monkey wrench into their 'orderly management' of the situation and send things spinning out of control? If so, what would the scenario be like or unfold? For example, if gasoline gets scarce then they can't get around in their police cars to do what they do.

H H

Pigeon

robreke said:
Sargon2112 said:
Regarding the apparent ammo shortage I'm hearing about, I've got plenty but it's not excessive. No stash can last forever, especially if, God forbid, you had to start using it for what it's intended for. I never learned to reload ammo. I will be learning and buying the required equipment.

Luckily, I have a buddy who reloads, so I can learn from him.

To second what someone else already has said, you need to target practice to stay sharp. Use cheap, small caliber ammo for that and for shooting varmints.
You can also kill a lot of food / small game with a 22 if SHTF. Don't use your high end expensive stuff unless it is necessary. It will become scarce if SHTF. Save it.

I see too many guys with expensive, large caliber weapons just wasting ammo ($$$) at the range to show off for other people. I know it's fun to shoot big guns, but think about what it costs you with each pull of the trigger and think about who you are showing your hand to.
FWIW you can buy "practice lasers" for the popular 9 mm round. You insert these into the breach, and every time the hammer clicks the laser, a dot shows up on the wall right where you're aiming. It helped me with accuracy at the range with real ammo.

https://www.amazon.com/G-Sight-Luge...ld=1&keywords=9mm+laser&qid=1585325414&sr=8-3

I used these to practice for a few shooting tourneys I did. Just went in my garage and, at about 7 yards, practiced on sillouette targets taped to the back wall.

Yeah, it's not shooting real ammo for which there is no substitute, but it's better than nothing and you don't have to buy ammo to "practice" Like I said, I saw improvements.

You can couple that with the the "Splits" app or some other shooting timing app on your phone. you press a button and a buzzer goes off a few seconds later that indicates when you draw and shoot ( from concealed carry or a holster) It helps with speed. That's what shooting's all about - accuracy AND speed.

They may have these breach lasers for other calibers too. I haven't checked.
This sounds like a great product if it works as you say and doesn't have any problems. I checked out the amazon page and the first review says this:

I watched my friend try this out and needless to say, we are never playing with laser cartridges again. He lost his sight by staring at the beam as it shot out of the barrel. The recoil, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT. The slide flew back so hard it came right off the frame and into his mouth, knocking out a tooth in the process (luckily he does a lot of meth so he only had that one tooth). Since he used a polymer gun (Glock 69), the whole freaking frame melted onto his hand, now he can't even masturbate without going to the E.R. afterwards. And to add insult to injury, every time people see his hand, they get offended they think my friend is doing the black face but on his hand. Beware of this product.

P.S. The app that they want you to download is actually a program that downloads random videos of turkeys walking across cornfields.

Are these guys just knuckleheads or is there a flaw to this product?

SlickyBoy

Ostrich

They are knuckleheads, obviously. Also from the description:

"Works as quickly as you can pull the trigger with double action; Manually cycle the slide after each shot with single action."

And presumably, the device is extracted and ejected like a spent round would be-? But maybe not.

My experience with these is using them as a bore sight device to adjust the zero before actually going to the range to dial it in for good. A better training tool for maintaining aiming and trigger squeeze skills is shooting a real .22LR into a bullet trap.

H H said:
Do you guys think a fully functioning police force can keep the peace & order? Or can criminal gangs or cartels (easily) throw a monkey wrench into their 'orderly management' of the situation and send things spinning out of control? If so, what would the scenario be like or unfold? For example, if gasoline gets scarce then they can't get around in their police cars to do what they do.
I think a more immediate problem is the 700 police officers in NJ already infected by the virus. If that's the kind of threat law enforcement already faces they will be reluctant to do their jobs. About ten days ago on the highway at night (packing up & leaving a major metro area) I couldn't help noticing people were driving way faster than usual, knowing the cops are not interested in speeders lately. Even on the secondary roads, people were either driving like they have nowhere to go (they really don't) or that it's the end of the world already. Getting flaky out there.

Cops don't even have the option of using protection that health care workers do - in fact a good part of their job involves getting close enough to people in order to smell alcohol, weed and other incriminating odors. You think they want to be getting close up now, in the era of social distancing?

Sam Malone

Ostrich
Gold Member

H H said:
This sounds like a great product if it works as you say and doesn't have any problems. I checked out the amazon page and the first review says this:

I watched my friend try this out and needless to say, we are never playing with laser cartridges again. He lost his sight by staring at the beam as it shot out of the barrel. The recoil, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT. The slide flew back so hard it came right off the frame and into his mouth, knocking out a tooth in the process (luckily he does a lot of meth so he only had that one tooth). Since he used a polymer gun (Glock 69), the whole freaking frame melted onto his hand, now he can't even masturbate without going to the E.R. afterwards. And to add insult to injury, every time people see his hand, they get offended they think my friend is doing the black face but on his hand. Beware of this product.

P.S. The app that they want you to download is actually a program that downloads random videos of turkeys walking across cornfields.

Are these guys just knuckleheads or is there a flaw to this product?
Bold for emphasis.

I don't think this particular review was to be taken seriously.

A quick web search for "funny Amazon reviews" will net funnier ones.

RexImperator

Crow
Gold Member

Since he used a polymer gun (Glock 69), the whole freaking frame melted onto his hand, now he can't even masturbate without going to the E.R. afterwards.
Hmmm...Must be made with one of those illegal high powered Chinese lasers from Ebay! This is clearly a joke. (Glock 69 is like the mythical AR-14)

H H

Pigeon

^^Haha, thanks to you all for pointing that out. I only read the first two sentences and stopped reading at 'the slide flew back'. Reading thru the rest of it now, it's pretty funny. Didn't know there are fake or joke reviews on Amazon - at least ones this obvious (if you read it in detail). I thought they have review police who takes those down. When I have some more time, I'll have to do a search for more funny reviews now that they're on my radar.

Btw, why is the AR-14 mythical? With the larger round, I actually prefer it over the 15.

H H

Pigeon

SlickyBoy said:
They are knuckleheads, obviously. Also from the description:

"Works as quickly as you can pull the trigger with double action; Manually cycle the slide after each shot with single action."

And presumably, the device is extracted and ejected like a spent round would be-? But maybe not.

My experience with these is using them as a bore sight device to adjust the zero before actually going to the range to dial it in for good. A better training tool for maintaining aiming and trigger squeeze skills is shooting a real .22LR into a bullet trap.
You're right, it should not eject. No explosion, no recoil, no ejection. I'll check out that bullet trap, thanks.

H H

Pigeon

SlickyBoy said:
I think a more immediate problem is the 700 police officers in NJ already infected by the virus. If that's the kind of threat law enforcement already faces they will be reluctant to do their jobs.
This is definitely more probable on the short term than running low on fuel. In general, nobody wants to wear masks or face shields. Certainly not in their car driving around.