Survival in post-coronavirus world (prepping, supplies, protection, money)

aynrus

Pelican
I'm not stockpiling anything...in fact got rid of tons of stuff recently, and I'm still nomadic so didn't have much to begin with. Trying to get back to ultralight state I was in 10 years ago, but got too used to comforts.
US supply chains are so full of stuff, it's unbelievable... Even in the middle of the worst time in spring of 2020 there was just way too much stuff in US stores, no wonder everyone is so big, it's an incentive to eat and eat.
I always have antibiotics supply in case a tick bites me, just feel too much disgust of "doctors" to go ask for prescription.
My suggestion is to get rid of stuff to severe the dependency on material possessions.

SlickyBoy

Hummingbird
Bumping this thread. With corn and wheat prices soaring, along with supply chain shocks and chip shortages it looks like there is going to be some major pain in consumer goods in the near future. What are the key goods to start stockpiling now to prepare? Antibiotics was one good suggestion. What about for food and everyday goods, tools, parts, household items, etc?
The key for stockpiling is to never make the stockpile so large that you would be so psychologically attached to the stockpile that you remain in a dangerous area far beyond the point where it became sensible for you to leave.

A good book that touches on that and other aspects of economic distress is this - one of the best I've found:

https://johntreed.com/products/how-to-protect-your-life-savings-from-hyperinflation-and-depression

The items he suggests might surprise you. Not all about gold & guns buried in the back yard. Think more like non-perishable every day items you use that you may find hard to get with a supply shock.

SlickyBoy

Hummingbird
Antibiotics. In the US, for example, one can't buy them without doctor's prescription and I have zero trust in any "doctors" at this point or that I'd be able to see one without the vaxx requirement. I previously was ordering antibiotics from India through online pharmacy.
You kind of can - but not for humans. You can get things like Agri-cillin from veterinary suppliers, which is penicillin for animals. Ditto for lactated ringers injection - an IV fluid bag we used to use in the Army a lot for emergency rehydration. But I really wouldn't go too hard on stocking meds since they expire and without proper training you might do more harm than good.

aynrus

Pelican
You kind of can - but not for humans. You can get things like Agri-cillin from veterinary suppliers, which is penicillin for animals. Ditto for lactated ringers injection - an IV fluid bag we used to use in the Army a lot for emergency rehydration. But I really wouldn't go too hard on stocking meds since they expire and without proper training you might do more harm than good.
Oh well my antibiotics stockpile is way past expiration point, but it still works/tested, though it does lose some potency gradually. Main thing is not to expose it to heat, which is hard being nomadic in the US, hot summers :D I have wide variety of antibiotics I got from overseas pharmacy, but yes animal antibiotics is another route. I'd multiply normal expiration time by 2 at least, unless stored in a hot place.

Anyway, I lived through real collapse, starvation after USSR went lights out, and all these food and stuff stockpiling in the West makes me raise my eyebrows. Food and other supply chains in the States are superb and glorious (I've been just marveling at huge selection of foods, including organic, in deeply rural Tennessee), home improvement stores are exploding with merchandise, and I'd be perfectly fine if 99.99% of stuff disappeared, it's something I grew up in anyway, wouldn't bother me. But if there is 1% reduction in the goods available, this will mean "severe shortages" and big first world problems, smeone isn't going to get that exact fave chocolate cake.

Last edited:

Easy_C

Peacock
Kinda. One thing you need to keep in mind is that most stores operate trying to minimize the amount of inventory on the books, so all the food it looks like we have is only enough for about 48 hours or so. Most households in urban areas only have enough food on hand at any given time for 72 or less hours, so all it will take is about a 5 day supply chain disruption before that abundance dries up. I lived in an area last year where there was literally zero food on store shelves after COVID hit initially, and I've seen others where ice storms, Hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. have caused significant disruptions that prevented people from being able to run out and buy food for periods as long as two weeks.

Massive stockpiling is a bit silly. After you have that "two weeks supply" the next thing you need to be worried about is figuring out a water source, hygiene, and how you're going to avoid freezing/roasting. After that then you can start worrying more about long term food and security.

lskdfjldsf

Pelican
Gold Member
I'm glad I stockpiled ammunition for so long. What I paid $200 per case for in 2017 has been selling for $600 or more over the past year. I sold a lot of it and put the money towards a house in the country where we can raise chickens and other animals for food independence. We're now looking at adding a well, so there's a source of water without Shanequa's birth control remnants adding any flavor.

Fish antibiotics are good to have (amoxicilan is identical to what doctors prescribe) and can be ordered from pet or veterinary websites, along with sanitary items, lighters, canned goods, and even alcohol or cigarettes. Anything that adds value in a barter economy. Medical textbooks are a must have (how do you pull a tooth with no dentists around?) for any library.

Last edited:

aynrus

Pelican
I traveled around the States during the worst panic last year too, there were plenty of groceries, enormous piles of all kinds of food, luxury of supplies, anything you want in stores all over, and I only go to rural areas which are usually less supplied.
In the middle of rural nowhere I faced excruciating choices such as between meager 3 brands of organic peanut butter.
The only emptied shelves were TP and beans, sometimes flour (oh my): there'll be big business for weight loss programs.
There's no need to stockpile in Western countries, there's no collapse coming, not even close, I've seen what real collapse looks like and lived off a small stockpile and humanitarian aid, to get there it's a whole long road from here...

People stockpile for a short time in rural areas where roads might be cut off by snow, flood, other natural disaster, car breaking down. Unless one wants to do whole winter snowed in, then a big stockpile.

Last edited:

lskdfjldsf

Pelican
Gold Member
Abundance doesn't necessarily mean stability; our supply chains keep the shelves stocked with a million meaningless items in good times, but they're also highly fragile with many bottlenecks. A few blocked highways would grind the country to a halt. I remember truck drivers holding the country by the nuts during the early part of covid.

Better to have and not need than find yourself at the mercy of predators in an emergency.

aynrus

Pelican
Abundance doesn't necessarily mean stability; our supply chains keep the shelves stocked with a million meaningless items in good times, but they're also highly fragile with many bottlenecks. A few blocked highways would grind the country to a halt. I remember truck drivers holding the country by the nuts during the early part of covid.

Better to have and not need than find yourself at the mercy of predators in an emergency.
What if aliens land and starve all of us.... what if crazy Putin pushes nuclear button after having too much vodka, then might survive for a couple of extra weeks off that stockpile of expired dog food.

I never been at the mercy of predators, and I've seen some stuff people in Western countries can't imagine.

To me, stockpiling is right from hoax-fear department.

aynrus

Pelican
My grandma grew up in Ukraine, moved to Russia later...when she was a kid her biggest fear was to get eaten, it was a very real possibility. She walked to the orphanage where she worked for some food, a long walk through the woods and children were getting kidnapped to eat them back then. Even she hardly stockpiled anything down the road LOL. When it's you time, it's your time.
In the meanwhile, the biggest food problem in the West is probably going to be which organic brand to chose from.
Best to have own livestock and garden, of course.

lskdfjldsf

Pelican
Gold Member
What if aliens land and starve all of us.... what if crazy Putin pushes nuclear button after having too much vodka, then might survive for a couple of extra weeks off that stockpile of expired dog food.

I never been at the mercy of predators, and I've seen some stuff people in Western countries can't imagine.

To me, stockpiling is right from hoax-fear department.

Americans value self-reliance and autonomy, it's embedded in our DNA going back to the frontier days. Our laws and culture (what hasn't been corrupted) are a reflection of that. There are a ton of paranoid schizophrenics who prep, and many who see it as a necessary precaution in an atomized, multicultural, polyglot dystopia where each race is at each other's throat.

Yugoslavia vs. soft Soviet collapse

Last edited:
so all it will take is about a 5 day supply chain disruption before that abundance dries up

Not to quibble too much but I'd put it at less myself. I've seen people panic buy in big emergency situations and it would take two days, imho. I've often wondered how many people have less than 48 hours worth of food in their homes. I'd guess the number is high in any major metro with the way people eat out. When the panic sets in too most things will go fast.

Might want to fill up your tanks this weekend, gents.

r3d

Woodpecker
My grandma grew up in Ukraine, moved to Russia later...when she was a kid her biggest fear was to get eaten, it was a very real possibility. She walked to the orphanage where she worked for some food, a long walk through the woods and children were getting kidnapped to eat them back then. Even she hardly stockpiled anything down the road LOL. When it's you time, it's your time.
In the meanwhile, the biggest food problem in the West is probably going to be which organic brand to chose from.
Best to have own livestock and garden, of course.

It's your prerogative to think that way and you sound very convinced so I won't argue beyond this post.

But I know from my own experience that when death really does knock on your door, everything you ever believed changes in an instant and all that will be left is the instinctive will to survive, no matter the cost.

Countless survivors of tragedies will tell you the same thing.

So while you're right that constantly fearing death is no way to live, preparing yourself for a very, very realistic scenario is not the same as worrying the sky will fall.

If my preparations don't pan out then yeah, that's the way it is. But I'm not gonna put myself in a position where it's likely I'll be the first to beg strangers for food. After 20 or 30 days of starvation everyone does, no matter how hard-ass or zen-like they were before.

My two cents. Maybe there are exceptions out there, but they aren't many.

britguy88

Sparrow
I am already planning to bury food and supplies around various national parks in Europe. Just choosing locations that have good freshwater and preferably fishing opportunities.

I am long distance ultra light hiker so very use to be self sufficient. I will be ready when the SHTF.

aynrus

Pelican
It's your prerogative to think that way and you sound very convinced so I won't argue beyond this post.

But I know from my own experience that when death really does knock on your door, everything you ever believed changes in an instant and all that will be left is the instinctive will to survive, no matter the cost.

Countless survivors of tragedies will tell you the same thing.

So while you're right that constantly fearing death is no way to live, preparing yourself for a very, very realistic scenario is not the same as worrying the sky will fall.

If my preparations don't pan out then yeah, that's the way it is. But I'm not gonna put myself in a position where it's likely I'll be the first to beg strangers for food. After 20 or 30 days of starvation everyone does, no matter how hard-ass or zen-like they were before.

My two cents. Maybe there are exceptions out there, but they aren't many.

Oh death knocked on my door plenty... but stocking up in America is needless paranoia. I have no supplies and lived through war and bad, bad stuff and yep I know what it's like to wake up and head to the woods to find something to eat. I'm fine and will be fine. I dk, don't give a rats tail and if SHTF I'll just hunt and eat your dogs (joking....but there's a point...dogs start looking tasty after prolonged and real food shortage).
If there's real SHTF all those with "supplies and stocks" will just be looted/robbed and may be even killed first.
All the "ammo", "guns" stockpiles...they won't help in SHTF. They'll get you killed first.
Pointless debate, 99.9% of the stockpilers never lived through SHTF, I did. And know of those who did it for much longer time than me.
But SHTF isn't coming to Omerica.
A shortage for a Westerner = abundance for non-Westerner.
One doesn't want to be a wrinkled old stockpiler muttering over expired rusty bean cans in the depths of the moldy bunker, "they're still good, SHTF is coming any time now!"
American shortages in the spring of 2020 were limited to strictly first world problems.
Mostly even these limited shortages like toilet paper were caused by panic stockpiling and no real shortage.

Last edited:

r3d

Woodpecker
Oh death knocked on my door plenty... but stocking up in America is needless paranoia. I have no supplies and lived through war and bad, bad stuff and yep I know what it's like to wake up and head to the woods to find something to eat. I'm fine and will be fine. I dk, don't give a rats tail and if SHTF I'll just hunt and eat your dogs (joking....but there's a point...dogs start looking tasty after prolonged and real food shortage).
If there's real SHTF all those with "supplies and stocks" will just be looted/robbed and may be even killed first.
All the "ammo", "guns" stockpiles...they won't help in SHTF. They'll get you killed first.
Pointless debate, 99.9% of the stockpilers never lived through SHTF, I did. And know of those who did it for much longer time than me.
But SHTF isn't coming to Omerica.
A shortage for a Westerner = abundance for non-Westerner.
One doesn't want to be a wrinkled old stockpiler muttering over expired rusty bean cans in the depths of the moldy bunker, "they're still good, SHTF is coming any time now!"
American shortages in the spring of 2020 were limited to strictly first world problems.
Mostly even these limited shortages like toilet paper were caused by panic stockpiling and no real shortage.

I absolutely respect that.

All things considered I will stick to my plan though. It's an individual decision that depends a lot on who and where you are. Maybe some points of you are valid while others not so much. Time will tell.

In the end, I always go with my gut feeling and own my mistakes and successes alike.

Seadog

Kingfisher
I'm not stockpiling anything...in fact got rid of tons of stuff recently, and I'm still nomadic so didn't have much to begin with. Trying to get back to ultralight state I was in 10 years ago, but got too used to comforts.
US supply chains are so full of stuff, it's unbelievable... Even in the middle of the worst time in spring of 2020 there was just way too much stuff in US stores, no wonder everyone is so big, it's an incentive to eat and eat.
I always have antibiotics supply in case a tick bites me, just feel too much disgust of "doctors" to go ask for prescription.
My suggestion is to get rid of stuff to severe the dependency on material possessions.

As if to drive the point, this current pipeline hack is the perfect example of the fragility of the distribution system. One single pipeline gets shut down, and it was only a matter of days before gas stations are running out, fuel rationing is in place, extended hours for tanker truck drivers are being enacted, and this is across a sizable minority of the country.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...uel-is-running-short-after-colonial-pipe-hack

I remember like 20 years ago I worked for a big 3 auto manufacturer. This is when all that just in time delivery was coming into vogue. Even to my 3rd year university brain this seemed stupid. Basically to me it seemed that they were banking on their 10,000 or so trucks that come annually, all arriving just in time, and never late, and in doing so they could reduce their foot print for storage. Now to me that seemed like a pretty minor one time gain, really scraping at the margins for a tiny improvement. On the other hand, if some of those 10,000 trucks were late, basically at any point going forward, then you were going to have several thousand union workers playing with themselves until it arrives, at a reputed cost of $2k/minute. A tiny one time gain, vs a potential huge loss with a never ending long tail.

That's how I feel about stockpiling, except the opposite. Tiny downside, huge potential upside. It's not exactly a 'hoard' as much as a pantry/full freezer/ammo chest. I buy stuff when it goes on special, and probably have several months worth of food if I needed it. In essence, my purchasing and consumption are completely disjointed from each other. Purchases are what's cheap. Consumption is what I feel like, or what's been sitting around for a while. I guess the only downside is that it takes up a bit of cupboard and freezer space (that would otherwise be empty?) and the time value of a few hundred dollars. Contrasted with the people with 10 years worth of rice in a bunker, it seems separate from their day-to-day food, so if the apocalypse never comes, it's money wasted.

r3d

Woodpecker
Bump for Cyber Polygon https://cyberpolygon.com/about/

I'm fairly convinced shortly after today we will start experiencing more frequent 'cyber attacks' and essential system failures.

Got all my shopping done today. Can survive for 4 months without leaving the house now.

Also bought a 6 volume encyclopedia. In case there is an argument about 12th century European monarchs around the bonfire and there is no wikipedia to settle the debate. You get them dirt cheap now, because nobody needs them anymore (or so they think).

And now that they scrub people like Dr. Malone from the wiki to fit their narrative it's always good to have something at home that they can't touch. In another 10 years time I'm sure the online wiki will claim some wild things about our supposed history and current reality. It will be fun to compare entries on 'colonization', 'vaccines' or 'pandemics'

Last edited:

Viktor Zeegelaar

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
Got all my shopping done today. Can survive for 4 months without leaving the house now.

Also bought a 6 volume encyclopedia. In case there is an argument about 12th century European monarchs around the bonfire and there is no wikipedia to settle the debate. You get them dirt cheap now, because nobody needs them anymore (or so they think).

Also now that they scrub people like Dr. Malone from the wiki to fit their narrative it's always good to have something at home that they can't touch. In another 10 years time I'm sure the online wiki will claim some wild things about our supposed history and current reality. It will be fun to compare entries on 'colonization', 'vaccines' or 'pandemics'
That's a great point. They already changed the definition of herd immunity. They are changing history and definitions. People in 100 years won't even be able to realize that there once were families and men and women. It'll have been moshed together to a non gender identity and with all the propaganda already going on now that'll be just normal then. And of course this is the case for everything, history, culture, tradition, sexuality, good/bad, religion.