Texas devastated by extreme cold spell

Hell_Is_Like_Newark

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Part of the problem is the power companies. Where I am at, Excel Energy sent a letter a while back bragging about a solar array in New Mexico they just finished. So how did that do under snow? And is there a sure gas supply for nighttime, when gas turbines have to make up the difference. My parents in New Mexico got past their outage by burning wood in their wood burning stove. All goes towards the idiot New Mexico governor pledging to use only renewables by some date.
I am in energy on the non-utility end (services and engineering related). A lot of things we pursue on behalf of our clients is because:
  • It's subsidized (Green Power).
  • It's what popular / trending and makes a good press release.
  • It's mandated by some government entity and it is easier to go with the flow, even it eventually leads to Hell, than to try to thwart it.
I am one of the few that tries to push back, as I see it causing serious financial and energy reliability issues for our clients in the near future.

Elipe

Pelican
Lol. Now the former leader of the "axis of evil" cares more about Heritage Americans that our President, Kamala Xiden.

We can't get all the clowns into the clown car...we need to call for backup.
I mean, our president was the one that didn't want to bomb Iran into the stone age. America as ruled by Heritage America would be less inclined to get into Ahmadinejad's backyard than the other America. I don't think most warhawk conservatives were hawks by their own nature, they were just conned into being hawks because that was what the party did. If Trump was the default blueprint of conservativism, I doubt that conservatives would have been that interested in invading Iraq or Afghanistan to begin with. Hell, they wouldn't even have known those countries even existed.

And I'm also continually reminded every time that I see Ahmadinejad's name, that the one time he was invited to visit America, it was to give a talk at Columbia University in New York City. It was such a disaster, especially from a hospitality point of view, and Middle-Eastern culture absolutely holds to hospitality as a cherished belief. You could be a Middle Easterner's worst nightmare come true, but if he invites you to be his houseguest, he's going to treat you like a prince. They really prize themselves on that.

But at that university, not only did the students shout him down, the faculty did too, including the president who introduced him to the audience on-stage as petty, cruel, and ridiculous. The president. The very person that invited him in the first place.

Honestly, if he realized that NYC was a leftist haven, then it's easy to see why he prefers the right-wing version of America that elected the man that made it a point of his presidency to not give in to the hawks.

Last edited:

PillBoxer

Sparrow

Thoughts?
Putting the initial steps of the Green New Deal ahead of momentary energy concerns. I suppose the administration doesn't care about Texans if it would be a short pit stop on the road to their energy panacea.

I've carried the same opinion on this all the way through. The Feds and Biden's administration didn't care that this was happening to Texas because it was politically advantageous not to.

Trader4

Chicken
I'm surprised that Texas has snow. When was the last time this happened?

Everything aside I think this crisis is engineered to a degree. It wouldn't surprise me if this wave of cold was synthetic. We have no idea what kind of technology these devils posses.

That's not what I'm talking about.
I've lived in west Texas for 10 years, its snowed 1 to 4 times every winter since I've been here. But this is the longest and deepest hard freeze I've seen

Pelern

Sparrow
See, this is how shit gets started, I see people on the right doing it a lot....................false or exaggerated headlines that anger people in order to get views and attention. This is fake news too ya know
True. Rushing to post something can hurt more than helps. If you are going to post something you have to be willing to read the whole thing and not trust the person who posts it or what the headline says.

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. My dad has friends from the church (all older ladies). They repeat a lot of stuff that is hard to prove and probably false, like nanobots in the vaccine.

Even if this was true, leading with this when talking to people that aren't like minded is going to have people think you aren't a very credible source unless you have irrefutable evidence.

I wonder if this is how disinformation is designed. You can be talking about a controversial subject and things can be going along well, then someone who is in a rush to feel included and add to the discussion blurts out something like "There are nanobots in the vaccine too!" All of a sudden people who might have been receptive start to think "Wait a second, this is crazy talk, these people don't know what they are talking about."

I'm calling it, saboteurs. Texas' power grid is independent from the rest of the 47 mainland states. The weather dipped in most major cities on the eastern part of Texas minus Houston around valentine's day. Not long enough to cause these "blackout" conditions, only meddling at the power-grid level is causing it. Globohomo operatives are trying to put the boot down on them before they get too far along in their return to their own republic like they were 200 years ago.

This has been going on for a few days now. Over 30 people have died and millions are without power.
Related to this, gas prices will rise and also food. The entire country will be impacted.
I'm here in the Hill Country, still going though this mess. Lost three kid goats. Both of my aquariums all of my fish were killed. My entire water system (well water and outside well house) gonna have to be redone at the cost of several thousand dollars. Have not had water for a week now. Starting to smell like my goats....

Turns out that all of our power generation plants were only running at 60% capacity for "greenhouse gas reduction" thanks to Biden's DOE & EPA. They refused a plea from Gov. Abbot to increase to 100% capacity days before the polar vortex even hit. They demanded ERCOT buy power from outside sources or charge $1500 a kW hour which is like paying $1500 a gallon of gas. Would love to put a link here to spread this information, but I have been a lurker for years and only recently joined. You cannot find this information on the left leaning mockingbird media.

Hell_Is_Like_Newark

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I was going to post something detailed on the issue with intermittent power sources (wind & solar) and the terrible effects on grid reliability. Tony Heller put together a video that succinctly covers most of what I was going to put together.. and does a better job of explaining than I would have done:

I have a vacation rental home in Vermont which I in the process of putting renovation plans together. Backup power (propane) is part of the plan as the grid in New England was on the cusp of a Texas style collapse twice in the past 5 years. The situation will get worse as the offshore wind turbine projects come on-line.

I was going to post something detailed on the issue with intermittent power sources (wind & solar) and the terrible effects on grid reliability. Tony Heller put together a video that succinctly covers most of what I was going to put together.. and does a better job of explaining than I would have done:

I have a vacation rental home in Vermont which I in the process of putting renovation plans together. Backup power (propane) is part of the plan as the grid in New England was on the cusp of a Texas style collapse twice in the past 5 years. The situation will get worse as the offshore wind turbine projects come on-line.
I do not know how to like a post, wanted badly to give your post many thumbs up, I guess they expect me to post more before I can even like a post.

Sigh....treated like a newbie when I actually even went to Roosh's speech in Austin.

Peacock
Gold Member

For a new house, passive solar + solar water heater + wood stove or fireplace with thermal mass takes care of the heating, with solar panels providing minimal electric backup. Not sure if you can sell your power generated back to the grid in VT, in which case it would amortize some of that expenditure.

Could wood chips be used for that generator instead of propane? That would really give you a relatively cheap and reliable backup in a place like VT...

Hell_Is_Like_Newark

Kingfisher
Gold Member
For a new house, passive solar + solar water heater + wood stove or fireplace with thermal mass takes care of the heating, with solar panels providing minimal electric backup. Not sure if you can sell your power generated back to the grid in VT, in which case it would amortize some of that expenditure.

Could wood chips be used for that generator instead of propane? That would really give you a relatively cheap and reliable backup in a place like VT...

Have to see if there is an alt-energy / home energy related thread to move further discussion to....

Vermont allows for net metering for solar. I was hoping it would be so for micro combined heat & power (like in NJ), but this was not so. So I dropped using one of these to possible offset for the very high electric costs up here in VT, running it off of propane.

Solar water heating works if you live some place warm all year. My roof in Vermont has been covered in snow for three months now. Plus, in temperate climates, the extra cost of freeze protection, and reduced usage makes passive solar (at least on a residential scale) not economic.

Wood chips? You are talking building steam generators. Not practical on a residential home basis. Even the Navy got away from steam, going to gas turbines. The closest practical way of doing that could have been a boiler running a Cyclone Steam Engine. Cyclone however, never seemed to completely fix their valve burnout issues.

To reduce dependency on expensive heating oil my plan is as follows:

I am looking at retrofitting the fireplace with a sealed combustion (uses outside air) insert and adding a sealed combustion stove in another part of the house.

Installing a Keystoker hot water coal boiler in parallel with the oil boiler. When I am using the house, the primary heating will be anthracite coal.

Renzy

Pelican
Sounds like some Texans got hit with some astronomic bills as a result of the power crisis.

The state’s deregulated electricity market was thrown into turmoil last month as 48% of its generating plants went offline, fueling up to $9,000 per megawatt hour (mwh) spot rates and $25,000 per mwh service fees. Those charges drove one provider into bankruptcy on Monday.

In all, electricity prices on the state’s wholesale market soared by $47 billion for the about five-day period when cold weather drove up demand and generating plants failed, estimated Carrie Bivens, a vice president at Potomac Economics, which monitors the Texas power market.

On Monday, electricity provider Brazos Electric Power Cooperative Inc., the state’s largest and oldest power wholesale firm, filed for bankruptcy citing an $1.8 billion debt due to ERCOT. The filing underscored the financial stress on power marketers and utilities from the pricing turmoil.

A spokeswoman for Governor Greg Abbott declined to comment on Monday’s bankruptcy filing or on proposals that the state’s Public Utility Commission roll back fees that skyrocketed during the blackout.

Our white death is already gone and other than a weekend flood alert West Virginia his still standing I think the problem lies in not knowing what to do since Texas rarely has to deal with it.