Thanksgiving 2021

PineTreeFarmer

Kingfisher
Woman
Protestant
What are you Thankful for this Thanksgiving?

I'm Thankful for the health of my family and friends, all the new babies that God brought healthy into this world this year, my own amazing children, and that God continues to provide for our family.
And each and every one of you!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Luna Novem

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
What are you Thankful for this Thanksgiving?

I'm Thankful for the health of my family and friends, all the new babies that God brought healthy into this world this year, my own amazing children, and that God continues to provide for our family.
And each and every one of you!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Definitely all of these same things!

This is a strange Thanksgiving. I am actually going to spend it alone... but that's not a bad thing. You may remember that my dad passed away one month ago today. Since then, I have had virtually zero alone time.... only twice have I been alone for more than two or three hours. I am a deeply introverted individual who craves alone time even when things are going well. In this time of grief, I have been desperately needing a significant block of time in which to process and mourn.

That's where Thanksgiving is coming in. We live 300 miles from any family. My siblings are out of state, and Mom is spending the time with her sister. When my husband asked if I was feeling up to driving to his family and staying the four-day weekend, I immediately asked if he would be okay with taking the kids and leaving me home. He was willing to bless me in this way. It might sound weird to more extroverted types, but this solitary time is EXACTLY what I am needing right now. No pressure; no small talk; just time to begin healing. I'm very thankful for that.

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well :)

PineTreeFarmer

Kingfisher
Woman
Protestant
Definitely all of these same things!

This is a strange Thanksgiving. I am actually going to spend it alone... but that's not a bad thing. You may remember that my dad passed away one month ago today. Since then, I have had virtually zero alone time.... only twice have I been alone for more than two or three hours. I am a deeply introverted individual who craves alone time even when things are going well. In this time of grief, I have been desperately needing a significant block of time in which to process and mourn.

That's where Thanksgiving is coming in. We live 300 miles from any family. My siblings are out of state, and Mom is spending the time with her sister. When my husband asked if I was feeling up to driving to his family and staying the four-day weekend, I immediately asked if he would be okay with taking the kids and leaving me home. He was willing to bless me in this way. It might sound weird to more extroverted types, but this solitary time is EXACTLY what I am needing right now. No pressure; no small talk; just time to begin healing. I'm very thankful for that.

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well :)
I hope you're enjoying your time

PineTreeFarmer

Kingfisher
Woman
Protestant
Thank you! I am. Some crying; some facing of hard things; but also some nice relaxation and the ability to get some extras done. :)
My parents got divorced when I had my second child, 10 years ago, and my father who was always very close moved across the country and I don't even see him once a year. It's not a death, but it definitely feels like something vital was wrenched away from me.

Luna Novem

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
My parents got divorced when I had my second child, 10 years ago, and my father who was always very close moved across the country and I don't even see him once a year. It's not a death, but it definitely feels like something vital was wrenched away from me.
I understand. I have thought often about children of divorce during this time, actually. I was fortunate to have my folks married for 50 years... but so many of my generation are not that fortunate, and the fact that they needed to learn to live with not having both parents together has become a pain that I feel like I can relate to more now. :(

PineTreeFarmer

Kingfisher
Woman
Protestant
Hey Y'all! Wanted to pop in and ask what you're thankful for this Thanksgiving. If you're not an American, it's a holiday where we bring our most obnoxious family members to the table and talk about uncomfortable things. At least, that's what we do at my house.
This year my mom's military friend who experiences mental illness is here. She won't let anyone help her clean her very dirty house, and is so far outside of reality that she told me Dubai was buying the town of Augusta and digging tunnels beneath it during the drive here yesterday. She needs to be committed, at least long enough to clean up her house that's legitimately only got a small path between the floor-to ceiling clutter to guide her to her seat, bath and bed. It's not even that she needs to be committed though. She just needs to be occupied long enough to clean up. Not even declutter, just make it safe for a human to occupy the space.
She's mean because I think she feels like people only like her because she has money? Maybe? And entitled like a child. She complained all day that she'd been in the car for four hours yesterday on our 90 minute drive.
She is insists she's going home today, but I can't take her back there, and frankly my hip hurts from sitting in a car and I don't want to. My mother has her power of attorney for all matters, but is herself experiencing mild dementia and mania.

So, I guess this Thanksgiving I'm thankful for my family, the military mental health friends they've had and cared for since I was a child, my kids who are respectful and patient and generally untitled and healthy, for the Love and Grace God grants me, my healthy pets, for a vehicle that runs, peace in my daily life, my growing faith and the structure learning about Orthodoxy provides for me, and miracles.

I hope everyone has a blessed day! <3

Thomas More

Crow
Protestant
I'm thankful I'm not lying in a ditch, freezing, starving, and beaten up.

It sounds a little gloomy, but it's a glass half full attitude. I have not been feeling thankful until recently, because I was focused on things like my wife dying, or the covid situation, etc. I felt my life is full of problems, and not like it should be. This is the glass half empty point of view.

To the extent that I am not in that ditch, it's because God has provided for me, and I am thankful for it. Everything in my life that is better than being in that ditch is a blessing. I think the ditch is the default base level of human existence without God providing for us.

Kitty Tantrum

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
I have a lot to be thankful for. Always do.

That being said... Oh, how I despise Thanksgiving and all of its trappings.

There is literally nothing about it that I like. No matter which group of people I've celebrated with (my parents, in-laws, friends, etc.), it's always the same with everyone stressing out about checking all the Thanksgiving checklist boxes, because Heaven Forbid if we should get the Thanksgiving Formula wrong.

It's extra absurd because I grew up vegetarian but my own family still does this, with substitutes and vegetarian versions of whatever.

I find this popular psychological attachment to the "TRADITIONAL THANKSGIVING DINNER" to be kinda creepy.

It's never actually been about thankfulness in any of my circles, or just gathering as family. It's about doing what is expected because it is expected. Like everyone thinks they're being graded on their compliance with Thanksgiving norms or something.

They don't even care about having GOOD food.

Everyone I know does the same Thanksgiving in the same way girls all take the same exact kinds of selfies, for the same reasons. It is basically the epitome of mindless consumer conformity, and everyone is forced to play along or get piled on for being "negative."

Every year I've been telling myself that THIS IS THE YEAR when I finally tell everyone I'm done and will never participate in another Thanksgiving again as long as I live. God give me strength to follow through...

There. Nobody has to feel bad about being a Thanksgiving Day Grump because I'm here to out-grump everyone. :blush:

rainy

Pelican
Other Christian
I am thankful for my wife and children. Over the last year due to various challenges I have realized more than ever, they are the most important things in my life and I trust few others outside of them, family included.

As an aside, I find Thanksgiving to be gluttonous. I say that acknowledging I am guilty of participating. I no longer enjoy the intent to buy and cook all these dishes, well more than people need to eat. I don't enjoy the idea of, celebrate by stuffing your face until you can't walk. I don't enjoy family members who have little to say during most of the year, putting on a fake facade around the holidays. It in insincere.

PineTreeFarmer

Kingfisher
Woman
Protestant
I have a lot to be thankful for. Always do.

That being said... Oh, how I despise Thanksgiving and all of its trappings.

There is literally nothing about it that I like. No matter which group of people I've celebrated with (my parents, in-laws, friends, etc.), it's always the same with everyone stressing out about checking all the Thanksgiving checklist boxes, because Heaven Forbid if we should get the Thanksgiving Formula wrong.

It's extra absurd because I grew up vegetarian but my own family still does this, with substitutes and vegetarian versions of whatever.

I find this popular psychological attachment to the "TRADITIONAL THANKSGIVING DINNER" to be kinda creepy.

It's never actually been about thankfulness in any of my circles, or just gathering as family. It's about doing what is expected because it is expected. Like everyone thinks they're being graded on their compliance with Thanksgiving norms or something.

They don't even care about having GOOD food.

Everyone I know does the same Thanksgiving in the same way girls all take the same exact kinds of selfies, for the same reasons. It is basically the epitome of mindless consumer conformity, and everyone is forced to play along or get piled on for being "negative."

Every year I've been telling myself that THIS IS THE YEAR when I finally tell everyone I'm done and will never participate in another Thanksgiving again as long as I live. God give me strength to follow through...

There. Nobody has to feel bad about being a Thanksgiving Day Grump because I'm here to out-grump everyone. :blush:
lol I'm sorry you feel that way!!

I always feel that way until it's time to pull an extra chair up to the table myself, but there aren't any more, and I have to go drink wine on the porch with the dogs!

EntWife

Woodpecker
Woman
Orthodox
I'm thankful for my husband and children, and that so far my children seem to be good people.

I'm also thankful that both my parents are still alive. Both of my husband's parents are dead, and a couple of my in-laws lost parents in the past year.

I'm thankful that we still have plenty of food, running water and indoor plumbing (my mom grew up without it), central air, and decent health.

Above all, I'm thankful that when we no longer have some of these people or things in our life, we will still have God.