The #1 easiest thing you can do to take back your life: yes, Virginia, it's the home schooling thread

Luna Novem

Woodpecker
Woman
This sounds fantastic! Would you mind sharing some of the resources you use? This is my first year homeschooling and I'm using The Good and The Beautiful, which is a traditional curriculum. I like the fact that it's open-and-go and totally fool-proof, which is essential for a newbie like me! I also started using Beautiful Feet for geography and love it. I'm interested in the Charlotte Mason and Classical methods, but I don't know where to start looking.
I highly recommend reading the book "A Charlotte Mason Companion" by Karen Andreola. It's not a curriculum; it's more like a mother's personal journal about how she uses the method.

For classical curriculum, you can't beat (in my opinion) Memoria Press. Their website shows all their curriculum, and if you click "articles", you can read fantastic posts about the method and why it's amazing.

Hypno

Crow
When you are getting startted, there are 2 things you should do. Join a local support group for Christian homeschoolers, and attend home school shows. Not sure if they are still having them because of Covid, but its just a show where they have vendors come and some guest speakers.

We were very eclectic and untilized unschooling. So we practiced counting going up the stairs. Practiced colors and math at the grocery store. Neither of us prefer canned curriculums, that sort of defeats half of the purpose of homeschooling for us. So you have to ask yourself why you are homeschooling and develop your curriculum acccordingly. Is your child gifted? Learning disabled?

In the early years, just reading to your child, even nonfiction, is beneficial. Usborne is a good brand of books like this, not curriculum per se.

Also, you have to weight the cost and effort as a family. Tuition at a good Christian school might be $6-$30,000 and meet most of your goals, maybe even more of your goal when you consider things like music, art, sports, social network. A parent making just $20 hour working 40 hours earns $40,000; a handyman or housecleaner charging $35/hour makes $70,000. So you have to ask yourself are your deluding your family about the benefits of homeschooling just so you don't have to go to a job every day?

Camellia

Pigeon
Woman
I highly recommend reading the book "A Charlotte Mason Companion" by Karen Andreola. It's not a curriculum; it's more like a mother's personal journal about how she uses the method.

For classical curriculum, you can't beat (in my opinion) Memoria Press. Their website shows all their curriculum, and if you click "articles", you can read fantastic posts about the method and why it's amazing.
I'm reading that book! :) I had seen the Memoria Press website before, but I will look into it more closely now. Thank you!

messaggera

Woodpecker
Woman
Your kids won't be socialized and they'll end up weird - Our children go to a lot of activities where they interact with kids of every age. Some of the time is structured and some isn't. If anything they learned how to socialize better and faster by having these mixed groups. In clownworld it's plain stupidity to say that children are being socialized at any public or private school, imho.

This is a solid statement.

This is the first comment always made when stating we are homeschooling now - not from our family of course because they get it - and know our devotion to our child's well being and education.

Here is the reality if you look at the research it is the children in the public schools who have issues with socialization.

A child in the care of a confident and competent adult will develop social skills exceeding a child in the care of a public and private school setting. Socialization is more than having a child interact with individuals of his or her own age in a public environment. Building a child's confidence up, teaching self respect, and taking the role of an educator will go farther than a teacher student ratio of 1:22 in a classroom.

The public school environment is part of the deterioration of society.

dragonfire00

Sparrow
Woman
I'm looking at curriculum now- with a Christian world view obviously. I have found several awesome looking ones. If anyone has any suggestions let me know or feel free to PM/DM me as I know we're all careful not to deal with doxxing : )