The autism thread

dain_bramage

Woodpecker
To illustrate how some of them feel imagine if your daily life is overwhelming day after day. Everything's loud, everything is itchy, everything is too bright, etc,etc. I would say its like a very bad drug experience. That being said they can have some very good times too. Its about extremes for them at times.

Some are very sensitive and it takes a lot of work for them to learn how to cope with overwhelming stimulation. Its a horrible disability. I think some empathy and a bit more of a patient attitude towards them would be well received. Poking fun is okay but treating them like they are sub human or a lulz cow is a bit harsh.

Say you find an autist working on something or having a great time with a game. Just let him do his thing. Or you can ask him if he'd like some company or whatnot. Most autists I've met are pretty pleasant they do like sharing and being social. They don't go out of their way to bother people. They may be a bit boring and annoying at times but from what I've seen they aren't usually malevolent. I think its dishonorable to put them down. Poke fun but don't be an ass. They aren't trying to be horrible. They just have been dealt a bad hand.

I think if they can be taught about the normal in group poking fun stuff between friends and comrades they could appreciate being called weaponized autism or rainman.

Is it just me or has there been a lot of posts on this forum saying *insert person/group* is an autist or acting autistic? Is it like the go to comment now to say?
 

Rob Banks

Pelican
TheWhiteWolf said:
i have the theory on why autistic women can get dates a lot better than autistic men i theorize that men are just nicer to autistic people then females and willing to overlook flaws in people to a greater extent than females. Compassion and empathy are traditionally associated with females but in reality they are male traits

I don't think it's that men are nicer to autistic people. I think it is just that men are more willing to have sex with an autistic female (or any female, for that matter) than women are with an autistic man. Women are more selective.

Also, autistic men are more likely to be affected by the lack of sex.
 

Kurgan

Kingfisher
I was tested for autism before I was in kindergarten because I was not interacting with other children. I haven't gone for a test for Asperger's, but some friends think I have it. I've not been able to read body language well and I get obsessive with certain things and topics. I have to be careful in what I say so I don't get in trouble.

dain_bramage, you bring up some good points on autists.
 

HatTrick

Chicken
I have never been diagnosed with Asperger's but I have come to the conclusion that I am definitely on the spectrum. I have some serious symptoms. The worst of which is "hand flapping." I have managed to hide that since I was about 12 years old and realized how weird it was. I still do it but never in front of anyone. I can also control it through mindfulness and breathing.

Luckily I am not a complete social reject and have always had advanced language skills and a good sense of humor. I do have trouble reading body language and other people's emotions and usually end up offending people by saying something I shouldn't. It causes me to be quiet in social situations.

Acknowledging that I am most certainly on the spectrum has been great because I can take an analytical approach to my behavior. I am a fully functional adult. I just have to approach life differently and keep my emotions in check.
 
I’m concerned about surprising amount of autistic women reproducing in keeping this horrible disease in the gene pool I feel I’d been sent by god to eliminate weaker members of the female sex to ensure that they do not reproduce
 

cascadecombo

Ostrich
TheWhiteWolf said:
I’m concerned about surprising amount of autistic women reproducing in keeping this horrible disease in the gene pool I feel I’d been sent by god to eliminate weaker members of the female sex to ensure that they do not reproduce

be-the-person-you-want-to-meet.jpg
 

wi30

Ostrich
Gold Member
TheWhiteWolf said:
I’m concerned about surprising amount of autistic women reproducing in keeping this horrible disease in the gene pool I feel I’d been sent by god to eliminate weaker members of the female sex to ensure that they do not reproduce

75159763.jpg
 
dain_bramage said:
I think some of the autists are so lost in their obsessions that socialization doesn't get the right amount of attention.

A lot of the hobbies and careers in the modern world are very logical and by-the-book. To program a computer, for instance, you research how a programming language works and then express a procedure as commands in that language. The challenging part is the amount of focused attention that's needed to think through the implications of every branch in the decision tree, and come up with the optimal method, using the available tools. Having an obsessive interest and a comprehensive knowledge of a niche topic comes in handy for a programmer, so autists thrive in that world.

Obscure specialties have multiplied. An inventor has to not be deterred by the fact that no one else cares about, or even understands, his invention till it's brought to market. If you're the Wright brothers, all that matters is the truth of what will or won't fly; the naysayers are irrelevant. Autists tend to be very focused on what's "true" and "right."

The social world, on the other hand, is full of unwritten rules. Often what you're supposed to do, in order to succeed, is the opposite of what you're told is the proper and ethical way. An example from The Right Stuff was "the unscrewable pooch"; if you made some gross error, like causing a spacecraft to sink to the bottom of the sea, you had to falsely claim it was due to mechanical failure, in order to save your career.

The idea of what would happen if you put a highly honest, logical, and literal-minded person in with the rest of society seems to have always fascinated people, to the point that it became a trope. I wonder if there could ever be a social world that didn't require constant lies and hypocrisy in order to get along with others? Perhaps not, because usually the way new cultures emerge is by finding gaps in the way the dominant values and norms of a society are enforced. That typically involves deception. For example, the way you can be red pill in a blue pill culture is by pretending, when necessary, to be blue pill.

There's such a disparity right now between the blue pill lies that everyone has been taught, and the red pill ways that have to be followed in order to succeed in today's mate market, that it's no wonder autists struggle.
 
To be honest, I thought most of the forum users here would be on the spectrum of autistic or aspergers.

It was said earlier in this thread that you can tell if a girl is in the spectrum. I believe that's true. Sleep with enough girls and you'll run across some "odd" ones and I don't mean the "don't stick your dick in crazy" girls. There is a distinct difference.

Most of these girl's social circles are small and they don't get out much because they're homebodies. If you meet one it's probably a co-worker or social circle game. You won't be cold approaching these girls with much luck on street corners or bars/clubs.

As for the conversation of what to do with the guys...

Most of the thread posts only view the negative aspects of the disease. The thing is that there are positives effects too. Take a moment to ask yourself why these genes continue to exists today and weren't snuffed out a millennia ago.

The world needs logical thinkers with unparalleled focus. That would probably make a good hunter who could learn to make traps and predict animal movements. Or it could be used to learn how to grow and maintain farms. Plus, loud noises and large crowds weren't really an issue centuries ago.

Maybe the autistic male is the corner stone of society. The perfect support character. It's too bad that's not rewarded or sought after these days.
 

Mercenary

Hummingbird
Moreless said:
Take a moment to ask yourself why these genes continue to exists today and weren't snuffed out a millennia ago.


You are assuming that autism has existed for a long time.
I think the evidence for autism existing before the 1930s (even under another name) is highly doubtful. Doctors throughout history have always recorded symptoms of illnesses, no matter what they called the illness. The symptoms found in men today don't seem to appear in great numbers before the mid 20th century.
This is most likely a modern disease caused by modern medicines and environments.
 

Edmund Ironside

Woodpecker
Mercenary said:
Moreless said:
Take a moment to ask yourself why these genes continue to exists today and weren't snuffed out a millennia ago.


You are assuming that autism has existed for a long time.
I think the evidence for autism existing before the 1930s (even under another name) is highly doubtful. Doctors throughout history have always recorded symptoms of illnesses, no matter what they called the illness. The symptoms found in men today don't seem to appear in great numbers before the mid 20th century.
This is most likely a modern disease caused by modern medicines and environments.

Or a personality type that was not considered a mental condition until recently. To me some descriptions of people "on the spectrum" just sound like people who aren't gregarious. I'm thinking that throughout history there have been a lot of people who didn't have large numbers of friends or like partying. In most of human history, being logical, hard working, and focused was a lot more important to basic success (for most people, not necessarily political leaders) than social skills. I'm talking about success as in farming, construction, hunting, fighting (not necessarily convincing others to fight though), forestry, mining, early science ... hell, even building some businesses that require customers, in a small town over time most people are going to care more about whether you can do good work than whether you smile and ask about their kids.

Also, consider the potential that someone is just really honest and smart enough not to hamster themselves into accepting whatever views are common among the people around them. This forum mostly divides people into blue pill (people who buy into BS and actually believe it ... maybe rationalize themselves to do so because it's too socially uncomfortable not to) and red pill (see through the BS). The assumption is that most red pill people are going to game their way through life, camo themselves by saying what is needed to get by in society, and keep most of their red pill thoughts to themselves except in limited circumstances. What happens to someone who is red pilled but also strictly honest? They probably aren't going to have a super active social life. They probably find a lot of social interaction pretty frustrating. Is the important factor the ability to read other people emotionally, or the ability to successfully interact with them without actually buying into their BS/delusions? For the latter, being honest can be a very limiting factor.
 

Mercenary

Hummingbird
Edmund Ironside said:
Mercenary said:
Moreless said:
Take a moment to ask yourself why these genes continue to exists today and weren't snuffed out a millennia ago.


You are assuming that autism has existed for a long time.
I think the evidence for autism existing before the 1930s (even under another name) is highly doubtful. Doctors throughout history have always recorded symptoms of illnesses, no matter what they called the illness. The symptoms found in men today don't seem to appear in great numbers before the mid 20th century.
This is most likely a modern disease caused by modern medicines and environments.

Or a personality type that was not considered a mental condition until recently. To me some descriptions of people "on the spectrum" just sound like people who aren't gregarious. I'm thinking that throughout history there have been a lot of people who didn't have large numbers of friends or like partying. In most of human history, being logical, hard working, and focused was a lot more important to basic success (for most people, not necessarily political leaders) than social skills. I'm talking about success as in farming, construction, hunting, fighting (not necessarily convincing others to fight though), forestry, mining, early science ... hell, even building some businesses that require customers, in a small town over time most people are going to care more about whether you can do good work than whether you smile and ask about their kids.

Also, consider the potential that someone is just really honest and smart enough not to hamster themselves into accepting whatever views are common among the people around them. This forum mostly divides people into blue pill (people who buy into BS and actually believe it ... maybe rationalize themselves to do so because it's too socially uncomfortable not to) and red pill (see through the BS). The assumption is that most red pill people are going to game their way through life, camo themselves by saying what is needed to get by in society, and keep most of their red pill thoughts to themselves except in limited circumstances. What happens to someone who is red pilled but also strictly honest? They probably aren't going to have a super active social life. They probably find a lot of social interaction pretty frustrating. Is the important factor the ability to read other people emotionally, or the ability to successfully interact with them without actually buying into their BS/delusions? For the latter, being honest can be a very limiting factor.


I think you are confusing autism with mild aspergers.
Boys/Men with strong autism speak very little or don't speak at all.
 

Edmund Ironside

Woodpecker
Mercenary said:
I think you are confusing autism with mild aspergers.
Boys/Men with strong autism speak very little or don't speak at all.

Actually, I didn't articulate it well, but I was just describing how people talk about it. I wouldn't claim to know anything about it at all, from a real medical standpoint. I just hear people talking about it on this forum and others, mainly. Sometimes it's people who are serious about it, sometimes it's just a form of insult used against people who are too honest or "obsessed with truth and facts". So, yeah, I'm lumping everything "on the spectrum" together, from mild to strong, and also including the way people informally throw the terms around in describing themselves or others, which probably includes people and behavior that would not be included at all by a medical professional.

I mostly find the subject interesting because I have long had an interest in "honesty and facts" and so often see discussion or accusations of autism or aspergers brought into conversations where someone is seen as being too honest and/or simply not gregarious. I just have a strong hunch that such people are much more likely to be treated as having a mental problem of some sort these days, where in the past being honest or not being gregarious were simply seen as legitimate personality traits.
 
spydersuit said:
TheWhiteWolf said:
Given that autism has come up a on the form lot recently. I felt that we should have a topic where we could discuss it in great detail. Autism rates are rising throughout the world. The center for disease control now estimates that that one in forty five boys has autism. So this has become prominent issue. I am intrigued to hear the form opinion on this matter. Do you think it is the result of the vaccines. And as a result pharmaceutical companies are covering their tracks to avoid being liable. Or could it be the that women are having kids at a later age.


Jesus christ. It is not vaccines. Did you get that off of the Jill Stein supporter page?

Really, you could find the answer more quickly on google.

Source: I am a doctor.

When I hear " I am a doctor " thrown out as a way of saying don't question my authority on any health matters today I hear:

I am heavily invested in my allopathic mindset and training. Do not make me question it, I was told over and over and over again in med school that only low level, swamp dwelling retards dare question vaccines, and I paid several hundred thousand dollars to be told that so who the hell are you to even have an opinion. I will continue to direct everyone to pharmaceutical products for every situation and every condition and any other type of thinking is quackery. I have the answer to everything: burn, cut, poison. Don't question! Later on in life, when I am a 300lb addicted high ranking walking talking cesspool I will dispense health and weight loss advice (through pills) and I will still be right. I am a doctor.


It is a absolutely legitimate question to look for the connection between certain vaccines and autism, by now almost everyone in the US knows some family whose kid got injured or sick right after vaccines! We aren't the swamp dwelling idiots your big pharma overlords want you to think we are.

Excuse me I need to go bang my forehead against a wall!!!

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/449525268529815552?lang=en
 

Tex Cruise

Pelican
Very high strike-through-name ratio in this thread.

I haven't had a chance to crunch the numbers yet (I'm a doctor*), but it seems to me that there's a strong correlation between Autism and Banhammer.

















*...who fan. Just watched that one where the old guy turns into an alien scorpion thing. David Tennant was great, but I never went much on the diversity girl.
 

Meadowlark

Hummingbird
Gold Member
The Beast1 said:
It's heartbreaking trying to explain human social graces. These folks really do not get it and struggle continously with things we take for granted.

Boys on the spectrum have it worse off. Women speak entirely in code so imagine not being able to intuitively understand facial expressions, body language, and above all sarcasm. The nuances of human interaction via the gut feeling are all lost.

Welcome to my hell, I wouldn't wish this on anyone! Imagine being able to set up a Tinder or other online-type of date in person, only to be totally lost during the interaction and usually end up with some friendly convo and then parting and maybe seeing them again. It's like friend-zoning yourself. A very low percentage of girls send strong enough signals for me to pick up. Just like a radio with a bad antenna, you gotta be real close to the transmitter.

I do understand sarcasm but subtle flirting or body cues don't usually register.
 
Top