The Boomer Question

MartyMcFly

Ostrich
Other Christian
But,....but,...it's not the fault of the younger generations. The only generation required to accept responsibility for the condition of the world is the Boomer generation. All subsequent and previous generations get a pass.

Again,...the Mt Everest of hypocrisy.

The truth is, western society has been in decline for quite some time. The first half of the 20th century contained the Great Depression and two world wars. A fairly brief era of prosperity existed in America at the close of WW2. But once it ripened, the power brokers decided to harvest it.

The Boomer generation was fortunate enough to pass through during an era of prosperity, but they neither caused it nor ended it.
Boomers could have voted for leaders that would have fixed many of these problems and ensured society was fairer and that things would be better for the next generation. Many of the power brokers were boomers such as George W. Bush and Bill Clinton and trump and Obama. This means that from 1992-2020, we have had boomers as presidents. Have these boomers made the nation better or worse? Boomers had a lot of years at the top of power to make the nation better and they blew their chances.

For other issues like drugs and divorce and abortion, boomers were not forced to do these things but many decided to embrace them. My guess is that most crack users in the 1980's and 1990's when it was at a huge peak were boomers (just one example).

Lets hope that Millennials and Gen Z will say 'enough is enough' and decide to choose leaders that will make divorce harder, end all racism (meaning all races are treated equally), ban homosexual marriage, kick out all illegals and fix the border, and end free trade agreements to protect American jobs. They can also write their congressmen stating their views and requesting the congressmen vote for more traditional values. I tried recently asking them not to vote for Ukraine support (writing failed in this case, maybe the next issue it will help). So far they are not off to a good start though.

Simply living by decent values in their own lives and setting good examples for their peers and questioning those that behave badly will be a huge start and possible the next generation will turn America around.

Trewolla

Banned
Protestant
Lets hope that Millennials and Gen Z will say 'enough is enough'
Gen Z is still a bit too young to see where they'll land. But the Millennials are old enough to get a take on how they lean. It doesn't look very positive.

Millennials grew up at ground zero of the current propaganda campaign. It doesn't seem like they're able to screen it very well.

MartyMcFly

Ostrich
Other Christian
Considering that the AARP is a blatantly leftist organization, it's easy to believe that an article like that is intended to generate Boomer hate.

The left is all about division--especially as it involves Caucasians--and the Boomer hate movement is extremely divisive and almost exclusively a Caucasian phenomenon.
The article is funny (although obviously with liberal bias) and has a lot of interesting facts thrown in. One part I found the author was wrong about:

"Boomers didn't exactly create a race-blind society, but the kids we've raised might."

This is funny because the young people seem more racist than boomers and gen-X. They make everything about race.

Caduceus

Ostrich
Lets hope that Millennials and Gen Z will say 'enough is enough' and decide to choose leaders that will....

The time when you could fix society's problems with voting and elections is long past.

At this stage only a ruthless strongman dictator, civil war, huge natural disaster, or a deadly plague (not the fake one we've had since 2020) can reverse the awful situation the western world finds itself in.

DanielH

Hummingbird
Orthodox
I don't see a lot go "gloating". Painting Boomers as a group who sits around and "gloats" is just a disingenuous way to generate hate for a generation.
I disagree with boomer hate but I do see this often with boomers. Two very wealthy boomers I know with multiple homes and several children each brag that they're not going to leave anything for their children- they'll spend it all in their last years having fun.

In this thread I see boomer posters calling out us younger generations for being terrible. As much in that direction as the other. Yes by any objective measure the younger generations are terrible. What little we've been given we waste more frivolously than the boomers. The boomers are our parents and grandparents though so it comes off as very nasty, disdain for one's own children type stuff. If a boomer were to say “hey we did X wrong, I see millennials/Gen Z doing this wrong as well, I'm giving you a heads up, stop doing that,” - that is a sign or repentance and us younger generations would be very receptive to that. That is how a rebuke should be done if you want change in people with less seniority and life experience than yourself. But I've only rarely heard that in person or online. And one of the boomers who made such a repentant comment is almost in poverty, or is in poverty depending on how you define it.

Trewolla

Banned
Protestant
The article is funny (although obviously with liberal bias) and has a lot of interesting facts thrown in. One part I found the author was wrong about:

"Boomers didn't exactly create a race-blind society, but the kids we've raised might."

This is funny because the young people seem more racist than boomers and gen-X. They make everything about race.

Being race blind today can have fatal consequences.

The Penitent Man

Pelican
Protestant
Considering that the AARP is a blatantly leftist organization, it's easy to believe that an article like that is intended to generate Boomer hate.

The left is all about division--especially as it involves Caucasians--and the Boomer hate movement is extremely divisive and almost exclusively a Caucasian phenomenon.
That article was written by boomers, about boomers, and for boomers a decade ago, long before boomer bashing was en vogue. I agree it’s a leftist outlook, but it just reflects the frivolity the younger generations have come to associate with that entire generation. I was just browsing images and came upon it, but it gave me a laugh.

Guys like you get a bad rap because of the more vocal elements of your generation and a lot of the stereotype pushed by Hollywood during your generation and by your generation. Also because of the incompetent and corrupt leaders who have emerged from your generation who will all die in office. And also the fact that the the entire culture of the West was gleefully abandoned and pissed on by many, many boomers, resulting in the rapid decay and looming collapse of western civilization as a whole during the tenure of your generation on this earth. Many boomers also had nothing to do with the corruption of their peers, and are wrongfully lumped in with their reputation. There isn’t anything you can do to change it. Just let it go.

You don’t have to defend your whole generation, we are only accountable for what we can control. I don’t defend Millennials because they’re even worse. I just don’t get my nose pushed out of joint when someone lambasts lazy, retarded and corrupt Millennials because the criticism is warranted.

Trewolla

Banned
Protestant
I disagree with boomer hate but I do see this often with boomers. Two very wealthy boomers I know with multiple homes and several children each brag that they're not going to leave anything for their children- they'll spend it all in their last years having fun.
I don't doubt that such attitudes exist, but I don't see it as being typical Boomer behavior.

Trewolla

Banned
Protestant
That article was written by boomers, about boomers, and for boomers a decade ago, long before boomer bashing was en vogue. I agree it’s a leftist outlook, but it just reflects the frivolity the younger generations have come to associate with that entire generation. I was just browsing images and came upon it, but it gave me a laugh.

Guys like you get a bad rap because of the more vocal elements of your generation and a lot of the stereotype pushed by Hollywood during your generation and by your generation. Also because of the incompetent and corrupt leaders who have emerged from your generation who will all die in office. And also the fact that the the entire culture of the West was gleefully abandoned and pissed on by many, many boomers, resulting in the rapid decay and looming collapse of western civilization as a whole during the tenure of your generation on this earth. Many boomers also had nothing to do with the corruption of their peers, and are wrongfully lumped in with their reputation. There isn’t anything you can do to change it. Just let it go.

You don’t have to defend your whole generation, we are only accountable for what we can control. I don’t defend Millennials because they’re even worse. I just don’t get my nose pushed out of joint when someone lambasts lazy, retarded and corrupt Millennials because the criticism is warranted.

I just don't buy into *any* generational blame. People are complex Individuals of extremely varying natures and they exist in every generation.

Additionally, western society has been bombarded with propaganda for at least a couple of generations. Some people can shrug it off. Most are manipulated by it to one degree or another.

The Boomers had their propaganda and were affected by it. But it's nothing compared to what's being funneled into people's heads today. As I mentioned earlier, the counter culture of the 60s pales in comparison to mainstream culture today.

So who it to blame?

It's not a generational problem.

The Penitent Man

Pelican
Protestant
The Boomers had their propaganda and were effected by it. But it's nothing compared to what's being funneled into people's heads today. As I mentioned earlier, the counter culture of the 60s pales in comparison to mainstream culture today.
Agree with you there. Good luck fending off the horde in this thread, looks like you’re getting swarmed. I just couldn’t resist dropping that article when I saw it.

Trewolla

Banned
Protestant
Agree with you there. Good luck fending off the horde in this thread, looks like you’re getting swarmed. I just couldn’t resist dropping that article when I saw it.
It doesn't bother me. I've been red pilled since before there was a term to describe it. I understand where all the anger is coming from. I'm a little bit put off by how that anger has been manipulated into being pointed at my generation. But I see so much manipulation going on that it just takes its place on the list.

Caduceus

Ostrich
I wonder what percentage of the boomer generation don't believe in the 6 moon landings that were on television from 1969 to 1972.
It must be in the low single digits....probably less than 5%.
The TV moon landings are a like a sacred cow to the boomers.

Trewolla

Banned
Protestant
I have my own issues with my contemporaries in the Boomer generation. But they're different that what is coming from the young people. Mostly, I get miffed at how unaware many Boomers are. But it's understandable. Things are moving fast. It takes a concentrated effort to keep up with it all--and many Boomers are at the relaxed stage of their life. They've been worn down trying to keep up with it and just look the other way.

I've gotten to be that way to an extent.

MartyMcFly

Ostrich
Other Christian

In this thread I see boomer posters calling out us younger generations for being terrible. As much in that direction as the other. Yes by any objective measure the younger generations are terrible. What little we've been given we waste more frivolously than the boomers. The boomers are our parents and grandparents though so it comes off as very nasty, disdain for one's own children type stuff. If a boomer were to say “hey we did X wrong, I see millennials/Gen Z doing this wrong as well, I'm giving you a heads up, stop doing that,” - that is a sign or repentance and us younger generations would be very receptive to that. That is how a rebuke should be done if you want change in people with less seniority and life experience than yourself. But I've only rarely heard that in person or online. And one of the boomers who made such a repentant comment is almost in poverty, or is in poverty depending on how you define it.
Bill Gates is one of those boomers that has this philosophy. I get the idea of not spoiling your kids, but he is cold-hearted to not even want to leave 0.1% for his kids and perhaps set up a trust fund so they won't blow all their money on cocaine and prostitutes (if that is a reason he worries about leaving the kids money).

MartyMcFly

Ostrich
Other Christian
I wonder what percentage of the boomer generation don't believe in the 6 moon landings that were on television from 1969 to 1972.
It must be in the low single digits....probably less than 5%.
The TV moon landings are a like a sacred cow to the boomers.
My uncle (a boomer) got angry when I dared to simply state that I am unsure about the Moon Landings. I know that is a different thread, but even stating the idea that it might have been staged will set some off.

Trewolla

Banned
Protestant
Bill Gates is one of those boomers that has this philosophy. I get the idea of not spoiling your kids, but he is cold-hearted to not even want to leave 0.1% for his kids and perhaps set up a trust fund so they won't blow all their money on cocaine and prostitutes (if that is a reason he worries about leaving the kids money).

Yeah, but, it's not like all of us Boomers gather at Bill Gates' house on Saturday nights and laugh about how we're putting it to the young people over beers.

Cavalier

Kingfisher
Orthodox
I understand your point of view very well. I just refuse to accept the blame for the fact that your generation happened to be born after the "powers that be" plunged America into decline.

A generation isn't what caused the decline of America.

Essentially, the wealth of America is being harvested by the handful of people who have the power to do so. If you can think deeply enough on the matter you will eventually understand where that power comes from. Blaming fellow Americans of a certain age group is ridiculous. They have no more power to do anything about it than you do.
I was born in 66 so just barely not a Boomer. The Boomers did readily embrace many of the new cultural norms that were being presented to them. But the truth is so have the following generations. Most people in their 20’s and even 30’s maybe even 40’s would be shocked at how much more normal things were back when the Boomers were in their 20’s then they are now if they suddenly found themselves back in time. In fact the Boomers they would meet their own age would seem backward and lacking modern sensibilities. Boomer’s in their time were mostly real men far more so then the contemporary situation. But Boomer’s at this time are mostly clueless to how drastically things have changed and are unaware of their part in that. Obviously their are exceptions to that such as yourself. I do agree that the Boomer’s on their own did not come up with any of the cultural destroying nonsense that many embraced.