The Bread Thread (and Other, Assorted Baked Goods)

tractor

Robin
I highly recommend trying sourdough, I like it better than regular homemade bread I've made and because of the phytic acid it's a lot better for your gut.
I go by this recipe except I only use white and wheat flour, and he also has a video on how to make your own starter in a week. It's a lot easier than it sounds and the only ingredients are flour and water.

I'm not sure how this dude could pull it off with that amount of water. Taken the sourdough starter into account (50%/50% split between water and flour), he added overall 750 g water. With overall 1038 g flour, the hydration (water/flour) is appr. 72%. It's insane! I reduced water to 67% and my dough still seems stickier and more liquid than his.

I highly recommend trying sourdough, I like it better than regular homemade bread I've made and because of the phytic acid it's a lot better for your gut.
I go by this recipe except I only use white and wheat flour, and he also has a video on how to make your own starter in a week. It's a lot easier than it sounds and the only ingredients are flour and water.

When it comes to bread sourdough is as good as it gets. If you're into homebrewing some of your supplies can be pretty useful. A little bit of LME can add a bunch of flavor and will also get your starter going faster. DAP will also help it get going faster.

Interestingly I've found different flours can sometimes produce sourdoughs with different flavors. I like this flour for sourdough because it produces an almost "cheesy" sour flavor:

933c83a7-7b5b-43cd-8b55-c9a24dc39f7e_1.535196cb6c9e06acf96f384cdc1b7add.jpeg