The Canada Political Thread

Peacock
Gold Member
scotian said:
Escape from Florida: My 2,400-km drive back to the sanity of Canada
https://www.macleans.ca/society/lif...y-2400-km-drive-back-to-the-sanity-of-canada/

Here’s an article by a typical smug Canadian of the Laurentian variety who thinks that Canadians are better than our neighbours to the south, especially the white idiots who vote for Trump. One part of the article did stick out though:
I think we can see the same thing in Canada. Quebec, which has a stronger sense of social solidarity than other provinces, has been quicker to act decisively, and thus may be spared the worst of this illness.
Usually Anglo media portrays Quebec as a xenophobic, racist place but apparently their inward looking society is benefiting them in this time of crisis.
Well, our health system is better, that much is clear by now.

Leadership at the federal government is bad, but no worse than those of most western countries. But I get your point, this neoliberal globalist feels smug towards the average Floridan, criticizing them for going to the beach (a pretty safe activity actually, raising their vitamin D and strengthening their immune system and pulmonary health), but didn't have anything to say about Trudeau and Freeland keeping the borders wide open last month and saying that closing borders would not make a difference in preventing the spread in Canada.

Emancipator

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Emancipator said:
Vancouver/Toronto does not have the personnel to maintain order, can you imagine a place like the DTES being controlled, the illicit drug supply chains have been hit hard too since ingredients haven't been coming out of China. All the junkies there have to do is spit on officers.
The drug supply chain has also been hit with the US/CAN border restrictions.

The imminent exhaustion of the supply of illegal drugs in Vancouver, nobody on the street to panhandle from, no stores open to steal from, and everyone at home making B&Es difficult, is going to result in some extraordinarily aggressive junkies detoxing in public.

Shops are getting ready

Victoria Police have also reported a sharp increase in B&E in retail shops.

After having to be in close contact with East Hastings and downtown Van for the better part of 3 years, I for one welcome the great junkie culling of 2020.

Corona keeps on giving.

Laner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
This is the main reason why I left the DTES last week and took the family out to the farm. Not the virus, but the people.

The panic among the addicts is going to be off the charts. Last night was welfare payday so the party is raging for those who could get what they need. People were buying up any and all drugs they could get. By tomorrow their money will be all gone.

I have been in daily contact with friends down there. I have warned all of them as of last week. They need to exercise high precaution down there right now.

Its going to get ugly.

Rush87

Ostrich
I work in essential services, catch the 6am subway from DT TO heading west. This public transport timeslot is still packed with maybe 1-2 free seats and notoriously known as one of the best ways to get sick in Toronto. If anyone's going to get this it'll be me. Been on it everyday since the shutdowns. Will update if/when I get sick.​

Apparently signs starting to appear in Crappy Tire stores in the Montreal area, "no ammunition will be sold until further notice". Could be fake but would not be surprised either.

If there's one positive to come out of this, maybe a whole lot of people who previously scoffed at the notion of owning a firearm for self/home defence will start to rethink their position.

Laner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
ed pluribus unum said:
Apparently signs starting to appear in Crappy Tire stores in the Montreal area, "no ammunition will be sold until further notice". Could be fake but would not be surprised either.

If there's one positive to come out of this, maybe a whole lot of people who previously scoffed at the notion of owning a firearm for self/home defence will start to rethink their position.

No, its legit.

Three weeks ago I went to the Canadian Tire near my work where they showed they had 6 boxes of shotgun shells. I was going to buy them.

When I got to the counter I noticed all the ammo was gone. The kid working there said its in the back, and told me to wait. He came out 5 minutes later looking confused and said, apologetically, that this location does not sell ammo.

"Even thought your site shows plenty in stock?"

Yes. But then I noticed a middle aged, overweight woman 'manager' peeking from behind a distant shelf. She held an iPad in a manner that could be taking video or photos. So I thanked the kid and left, detouring a bit so I could see if she was following me. She was.

So I went instead to my local gun shop. Plenty of ammo. Buckets of .22 and .223 and CASES of shells. Also masks - lol - the panic hoarders seem to overlook gun shops. Not surprising, considering who most of the panic shoppers are.

Laner said:
No, its legit.

Three weeks ago I went to the Canadian Tire near my work where they showed they had 6 boxes of shotgun shells. I was going to buy them.

When I got to the counter I noticed all the ammo was gone. The kid working there said its in the back, and told me to wait. He came out 5 minutes later looking confused and said, apologetically, that this location does not sell ammo.

Yes. But then I noticed a middle aged, overweight woman 'manager' peeking from behind a distant shelf. She held an iPad in a manner that could be taking video or photos. So I thanked the kid and left, detouring a bit so I could see if she was following me. She was.

So I went instead to my local gun shop. Plenty of ammo. Buckets of .22 and .223 and CASES of shells. Also masks - lol - the panic hoarders seem to overlook gun shops. Not surprising, considering who most of the panic shoppers are.
Does not seem to be applied uniformly - I just got back from one that had a relatively full ammo case, where I picked up another 100-pack of cheapo target load 12ga. shells. I'd be curious to know if this is a Cdn Tire HQ directive or store owner 'initiative' or what.

Laner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
ed pluribus unum said:
Laner said:
No, its legit.

Does not seem to be applied uniformly - I just got back from one that had a relatively full ammo case, where I picked up another 100-pack of cheapo target load 12ga. shells. I'd be curious to know if this is a Cdn Tire HQ directive or store owner 'initiative' or what.
I think its store to store. I talked with a guy who said that only one Canadian Tire in Vancouver city was selling ammo. The one in Richmond is still selling when I called last week.

The good news is that online stocks of ammo don't seem to moving off the shelves here in anti gun Vancouver. I also just picked up another 250 pack of target load 12ga shells for $70 :)

Peacock
Gold Member
ed pluribus unum said:

This is definitely 100% real French Canadian, as there are 3 grammatical errors packed in this one short sentence.

Emancipator

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Laner said:
This is the main reason why I left the DTES last week and took the family out to the farm. Not the virus, but the people.

The panic among the addicts is going to be off the charts. Last night was welfare payday so the party is raging for those who could get what they need. People were buying up any and all drugs they could get. By tomorrow their money will be all gone.

I have been in daily contact with friends down there. I have warned all of them as of last week. They need to exercise high precaution down there right now.

Its going to get ugly.
Anddd they're getting free drugs and hotel rooms from the city and federal governments. Free shelter in two of the country's most expensive neighbourhood real estate Coal Harbour and Yaletown

My friend lives a few blocks away from the community centre being staged in CH, people are not happy.

NoMoreTO

Ostrich
Our Friendly State Broadcaster. Wow!

The people still tuning in have no idea, for the rest of us they have lost every shred of journalistic integrity. The last shreds being Don Cherry and Rex Murphy.

Deputy PM … wow democracy is alive and well. The debate is real, and it is protecting us from Tyranny.

Laner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
NoMoreTO said:
Our Friendly State Broadcaster. Wow!

The people still tuning in have no idea, for the rest of us they have lost every shred of journalistic integrity. The last shreds being Don Cherry and Rex Murphy.

Deputy PM … wow democracy is alive and well. The debate is real, and it is protecting us from Tyranny.

Keep at it Pierre, you might just end up being PM even after you say you don't want to run.

The Liberals don't even pretend to hide their agenda regarding the military. They are stocking it full of pear shaped lesbians and scumbag future politicians, while ignoring and hamstinging the real warriors.

Peacock
Gold Member
Justin Castro announced a $306 million aid program for "indigenous businesses", the CBC had the head of the Canadian Council of Aboriginal Businesses, this woman, Tabatha Bull, talking about this program:

[img=600x394]https://occ.ca/wp-content/uploads/TabathaBull-1000x667.jpg[/img]

She looks 90% white with a touch of Indian ancestry, not unlike a lot of women you would run into in Winnipeg or Quebec City, it's a very common archetype among old stock Canadian women. A lot of them like Bull above are quite attractive fair-skinned brunettes, with features like jet-black hair and blue eyes that you don't see often in Europe. I wouldn't be suprised if she is DNA test she turns out to be less than 5% indian.

She is Anishinaabe and a member of Nipissing First Nation who lives in Leaside (GTA) with her husband, Brad, and their two sons

I am guessing there is a network of well-connected urban types that siphon off most of this aid money and network their way to government contracts. You have the same structure with minority businesses in the US, they've thrived under Obama, but in their case, as misguided the policy is, at least there is a real racial representation with these groups, as opposed to bogus Elizabeth Warren-type first nation bullshit from people like Tabatha Bull.

Dr. Howard

Peacock
Gold Member
911 said:
Justin Castro announced a $306 million aid program for "indigenous businesses", the CBC had the head of the Canadian Council of Aboriginal Businesses, this woman, Tabatha Bull, talking about this program:

[img=600x394]https://occ.ca/wp-content/uploads/TabathaBull-1000x667.jpg[/img]

She looks 90% white with a touch of Indian ancestry, not unlike a lot of women you would run into in Winnipeg or Quebec City, it's a very common archetype among old stock Canadian women. A lot of them like Bull above are quite attractive fair-skinned brunettes, with features like jet-black hair and blue eyes that you don't see often in Europe. I wouldn't be suprised if she is DNA test she turns out to be less than 5% indian.

She is Anishinaabe and a member of Nipissing First Nation who lives in Leaside (GTA) with her husband, Brad, and their two sons

I am guessing there is a network of well-connected urban types that siphon off most of this aid money and network their way to government contracts. You have the same structure with minority businesses in the US, they've thrived under Obama, but in their case, as misguided the policy is, at least there is a real racial representation with these groups, as opposed to bogus Elizabeth Warren-type first nation bullshit from people like Tabatha Bull.
Your guess is true. I worked with native political organizations in my old forestry job and I have another family member that works for the Feds as a liason. There are 2 classes of natives. There are the mixed breed ones that should all be called metis, that work the identity politics to their own political advantage and greed, they siphon off virutally all of the money before it gets to the 2nd class. The 2nd class is the 'real' indian. Their problems are alchohol and drugs, not racism and they are not mixed looking by any means.

Millions of dollars have been spend on the 2nd class natives on reservations over the years with nothing to show for it, a big part due to corruption of chiefs and 'advocates' who are this mostly white 'muh ancestry' type of indian who is robbing the people they claim to help.

< It's all the equivalent of the 1984 question: "How many fingers?"

[img=640x480]https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lJNc9J95...A/cu0xbmF0kM0/s1600/1984_3006Pyxurz.jpg[/img]

You must ask the authorities whether that woman above is Indian, whether Jessica Alba is South American Indian/black, whether Elisabeth Warren is Indian.

The government tells you who is what, don't believe your eyes, the government tells you what to believe.

They will tell you who is a woman or a man.

Some tribes have a 50% genetic-cutoff - if you drop below that, then you are out, but I guess that some of the 1-10% mixed crowd prefer to syphon off millions for their own gain, so that far less ends up among the ones for whom it is all intended.

But in reality it's akin to this nice native doctor telling you that he is a native from Bavaria:

Emancipator

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Everyday there's new spending announcements...

What's the running total at now?

$300-400 Billion?

That doesn't include the QE being done by the bank of Canada for the first time

kosko

Peacock
Gold Member
Emancipator said:

$300-400 Billion?

We are at a $180 Billion deficit right now. To put it in perspective we spent $50-60 billion during the great recession.

Trudeau is already number two for blowing up the budget. He has now surpassed the spending done during World War I. This should help the little nurses in thier pink scrubs feel even more now like they are soliders battling a war.

Much of this spending will be for waste. Trudeau is offering small businesses a posion pill with the $40k/75% loan and wage subsidy program.

Plus, with the Trudeau handouts many Canadians will be pissed off next year when they are bent over on taxes by the magical $8K bump in income they are getting. For many Canadians who are not in the major cities with thier high cost of living the $8k is a significant amount of money to them. Many Canadians who are not smart (and did not use what was neeeded, or spent it all on junk) will have to pay it back and have the added tax hit as well.

Emancipator

Hummingbird
Gold Member
kosko said:
Emancipator said:

$300-400 Billion?

We are at a $180 Billion deficit right now. To put it in perspective we spent $50-60 billion during the great recession.

Trudeau is already number two for blowing up the budget. He has now surpassed the spending done during World War I. This should help the little nurses in thier pink scrubs feel even more now like they are soliders battling a war.

Much of this spending will be for waste. Trudeau is offering small businesses a posion pill with the $40k/75% loan and wage subsidy program.

Plus, with the Trudeau handouts many Canadians will be pissed off next year when they are bent over on taxes by the magical $8K bump in income they are getting. For many Canadians who are not in the major cities with thier high cost of living the $8k is a significant amount of money to them. Many Canadians who are not smart (and did not use what was neeeded, or spent it all on junk) will have to pay it back and have the added tax hit as well.
I did the calculations so I could tell people how much to be able to pay next year, told them to treat it as $1650~ after tax here in BC. There's going to be a lot of people nailed for fraud too seeing as how 7M people have already applied for it.

The CRA will win in the end and that's going to be a lot of pain for many.

That $180B I'm guessing is $60B for CERB, $80-100B for the biz loans and wage subsidies. A bunch of other "small" announcements too like the one posted above and $500M for arts. Already 10% of GDP

That's just the start everyone is coming out for their share though, cities and provinces are going to get slammed by revenue/tax losses, so will the federal government too. Vancouver's mayor has been the only one so far here whining for several hundreds of millions, as all the other cities have good balance sheets from RE development (Burnaby has like $2B in cash). Newfoundland is on thin ice with all the oil projects stopped and the hydro dam costs ballooning.

Students and minimum wage essential workers have been making a lot of noise too, they're probably next.

The feds are probably going to launch a shit ton of expensive infrastructure projects and "Green new deal" garbage. A lot in the Liberal party want to watch Alberta O+G crumble too (that slimy fuck Steven Guilbeault), hence only the announcement on orphan well clean up for a billion and change.

I guess my $300-400B is just an estimate on final costs...