The Canada Political Thread

scotian

Crow
Gold Member
The money spent on orphan well clean up won't help the tens of thousands of oil sands workers that the left would like to "retrained into the green sector." I don't know much about these wells because as far as I know, they don't exist in the oil sands and reclaiming them doesn't appear to involve the work of tradesmen like welders, fitters, boilermakers, etc. I think it's just one of those buzzwords that people who don't know anything about Canada's oil industry parrot as some type of solution to all of Alberta's problems but the majority of Canada'a oil production (>60%) comes from the oil sands which again, don't have an abandoned well problem.

911 said:
Justin Castro announced a $306 million aid program for "indigenous businesses"...
Back in the late 90s-early 2000s I had a gf who worked for a subset of Industry Canada called "ABC" - Aboriginal Business Canada. Their mandate was basically to hand out cash grants to natives who wanted to start a business. A friend of mine at the time had a half native gf and they actually used the program to open a Subway or similar off-the-rack franchise, if I recall correctly they got somewhere in the order of $75k (give or take $25k, it was a long time ago).

Anyway, the employees of ABC were perpetually frustrated because nobody was coming to take free cash - they had to run after natives to almost force them into doing something just so they could achieve their objectives of handing out a certain amount of money. Then every year the Federal budget would roll around and the finance minister would invariably announce "extra funding for aboriginal groups" and the ABC employees would throw up their hands in despair since they already had enough trouble trying to give out the money they had.

Somehow, though, all that money goes somewhere; I can only imagine that after 2 decades the only thing that has changed is the amount.

kosko

Peacock
Gold Member
ed pluribus unum said:
911 said:
Justin Castro announced a $306 million aid program for "indigenous businesses"...
Back in the late 90s-early 2000s I had a gf who worked for a subset of Industry Canada called "ABC" - Aboriginal Business Canada. Their mandate was basically to hand out cash grants to natives who wanted to start a business. A friend of mine at the time had a half native gf and they actually used the program to open a Subway or similar off-the-rack franchise, if I recall correctly they got somewhere in the order of $75k (give or take $25k, it was a long time ago).

Anyway, the employees of ABC were perpetually frustrated because nobody was coming to take free cash - they had to run after natives to almost force them into doing something just so they could achieve their objectives of handing out a certain amount of money. Then every year the Federal budget would roll around and the finance minister would invariably announce "extra funding for aboriginal groups" and the ABC employees would throw up their hands in despair since they already had enough trouble trying to give out the money they had.

Somehow, though, all that money goes somewhere; I can only imagine that after 2 decades the only thing that has changed is the amount.
This type of nonsense is common in public sector program budgets. You send your allocated money or you get your budget slashed. There is zero incentive for bring prudent so you end up getting examples such as the above where programs try to dump as much money as they can.

kosko said:
This type of nonsense is common in public sector program budgets. You send your allocated money or you get your budget slashed. There is zero incentive for bring prudent so you end up getting examples such as the above where programs try to dump as much money as they can.
Oh, absolutely; the difference here was that, while every other gov't department had people lining up for their gibs, the ABC people had to actively go and chase down some natives to take the money, because they otherwise just couldn't be bothered.

Emancipator

Hummingbird
Gold Member
scotian said:
Some Scotian dude dressed up as a cop in a fake cruiser and went on a crazy killing spree last night into the early hours this morning, killed 16 people in what is likely the largest mass shooting in Canada’s history: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...oter-investigation-in-portapique-ns-is-under/

Since its 97% white Nova Scotia, there’s likely no race/religion angle.
14HR rampage 100KM stretch of rural Nova Scotia, WTF, RIP to the victims I think it's at 18 now, praying for the victim's families and Nova Scotia

This article is from February, an interaction between him and the Halifax Police

I hate to bring this up after a tragedy, but this +emergency pandemic powers, we could be seeing Trudeau and Bill Blair go all in for their legal gun grab now...

April 19 (WACO/OKC bombing), they're going to link him to those...

uncledick

Woodpecker
Well my restricted AR is as good as gone, maybe even handguns. Though i always knew canada was one mass shooting away from new zealand esque gun laws... it seems the guy had a vendetta against his ex wife/ her boyfriend after killing them he then went on a rampage afterwards. Glad he is dead. The innocent he murdered were defenseless. Upcoming totalitarian measures on deck next.

NoMoreTO

Pelican
uncledick said:
Well my restricted AR is as good as gone, maybe even handguns. Though i always knew canada was one mass shooting away from new zealand esque gun laws... it seems the guy had a vendetta against his ex wife/ her boyfriend after killing them he then went on a rampage afterwards. Glad he is dead. The innocent he murdered were defenseless. Upcoming totalitarian measures on deck next.
Well the hope might be that CORONA Distracts the political push for this.

But with Trudeau going full fake parliamentarian democracy he might push it through pretty easy with Singh and the Bloq.

Very sad situation with this guy. The April 19th connection to other mass killings like Waco / Norway seems to go to motive.

Emancipator

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Plus he has a carte blanche right now, so the several billions needed for buybacks and confiscations are trivial...

Still not going to stop the gangbangers in Toronto and the like from smuggling hand guns from the states

uncledick said:
This whole thing is screwy; just watching Radio-Canada now, a full 24 hours later and they are reporting "at least 18 dead". "At least"?! How long until they establish a definite number?

Details are very sketchy; no word on if he was a legal firearms owner, no word on the kind of firearm(s) used, how many people were killed using the officer's gun, etc.

Here's where our gun laws make the matter worse, not better:the guy did a lot of planning, obviously. How much gun control would have prevented this from happening? Also, like the majority of all mass shooters, there's no way there wasn't a friend, an acquaintance, someone that didn't see some warning signs. But if he's a licensed gun-owner, as soon as anyone calls the cops because they think he's at risk, he's almost guaranteed to be arrested, have his property confiscated, face an uphill legal battle to maybe have it returned, and so on. So someone who might have a concern would probably tell themselves, "nah, I don't want to do that to him." and so it goes.

I'm feeling disconnected from the whole thing because I barely watch any Canadian or local media, however my first thought on hearing the news was that the Libs will waste no time capitalizing on this to hammer through gun control legislation.

As per NoMoreTO: even in a minority position he can surely count on the Bloc and Singh to get the votes he needs.

The only bright side I can see is: waiting for a 100% amnesty, no questions buy-back program so I can fabricate a bunch of bits of tube with 'triggers' and go and cash in. And if they don't grandfather-clause AR's, then they're going to get back a seriously stripped lower, no more.

Peacock
Gold Member
Turns out most of the deaths in Quebec are due to third world mismanagement in L/T care facilities, this is a good summary from a Montreal vlogger, this is really eye-opening:

skip to 11:25 mark.

Peacock
Gold Member
First thought there: I could be wrong here but the guy was a "denture fitter", is there exposure to mercury poisoning from dealing with mercury fillings day in day out in that profession? Listed symptoms of mercury poisoning are emotional changes, mood swings, irritability, nervousness.

That is the real reason dentists have some of the highest per capita suicide rates, up to 5 times higher than other white collar professions. People have misatributed this to stress, but the profession isn't really stressful, it's a routine, very well-paid profession, and although patients dread going there, most appreciate the work done on them, whether it's a cleaning or something to fix a bigger problem with their teeth. Dentists are on the low end of the financial stress scale, it's a very stable profession, the real reason their suicide rate is so much higher is physiological, mercury poisoning, to which they are exposed every day while inhaling vapors from amalgam drilling.

scotian said:
The money spent on orphan well clean up won't help the tens of thousands of oil sands workers that the left would like to "retrained into the green sector." I don't know much about these wells because as far as I know, they don't exist in the oil sands and reclaiming them doesn't appear to involve the work of tradesmen like welders, fitters, boilermakers, etc. I think it's just one of those buzzwords that people who don't know anything about Canada's oil industry parrot as some type of solution to all of Alberta's problems but the majority of Canada'a oil production (>60%) comes from the oil sands which again, don't have an abandoned well problem.
Any news from the oil industry? Global crude oil price went even under 0$ for a while because it was more costly to get rid of it since all the reserve facilities were full. It's now at 9$/barrel.

Did they fire all crews or is everything put on hold?

Laner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Simeon_Strangelight said:
scotian said:
Any news from the oil industry? Global crude oil price went even under 0$ for a while because it was more costly to get rid of it since all the reserve facilities were full. It's now at 9$/barrel.

There were a bunch of layoffs, but Alberta and BC have been pretty fucked when it comes to the energy industry for a number of years already. A lot of companies are running pretty lean as it is, so for many of them they just keep at it.

Also, in a strange way this virus has taken the light off of them, so projects that were typically blocked by activists and the media are now going ahead while the leftists hide under their blankets.

Peacock
Gold Member
Simeon_Strangelight said:
scotian said:

They stop pumping for a month or two.

MBS flooded the market at a time when oil demand crashed and that is the short term result. Every tanker out there is full and anchored near a docking port.

I'm not sure how much of this is incompetence, and how much is top insiders making billions shorting oil.

NoMoreTO

Pelican
CBC Journalist laughs at the idea of a young man wanting to work out on a farm. So detached from reality, I am sure if he told her he was planning on staying home and having stress attacks she would be on her game.

The thought of actual physical work is laughable! Kudos to the young guy who didn't let her interrupt his flow or go along with her. Alpha in the making.

I dream of sending people like her out to the work camps.

Let's subsidize roughnecks to farm? Better than raping the earth to squeeze oil out of tonnes and tonnes of earth. Many river systems up north are BTFO further brain damaging natives which is sure to have long term collateral damage for the nation.

I'm tired of neocon money grubbing at any cost. Fuck the tar sands, good riddance in my opinion. I have family working out there but the land we all live on takes precedence.

NoMoreTO said:
CBC Journalist laughs at the idea of a young man wanting to work out on a farm. So detached from reality, I am sure if he told her he was planning on staying home and having stress attacks she would be on her game.

The thought of actual physical work is laughable! Kudos to the young guy who didn't let her interrupt his flow or go along with her. Alpha in the making.

That is just f*kin enraging. Absolutely no doubt that if he had said something like 'wanting to do community outreach in minority neighbourhoods' she would have been enthralled.

NoMoreTO said:

The morons are so removed from society - the only thing speaking against farming is not the job. It's the plans of the globalists who want to wipe out most small farms unless you specialize in something that is bigger or offers high-quality organic produce or antibiotics-free meat that they will buy themselves. But those venues are getting increasingly more and more expensive.

Modern farmers nowadays are sometimes coding on the side, reading lots of books, joining biker groups and travelling a lot - many became millionaires in the last decades due to their land being in the vicinity of city expansion or industries.

The journalist also misses the actual number of modern farming entrepreneurs that have sprung up - from organic milk, deer and buffallo meat farms etc. Many have opened highly successful local shops and the people happily go there - especially in these times of destroyed supply chains and crappy food.

But women are never able to understand why a farmer, oil engineer or plumber is more important to her well-being and health than a university professor of media "science". We can do without crappy journalists and most female corporate jobs, but we can't do without plumbers and farmers cupcake.