The Canada Political Thread

SeaEagle

Sparrow
The Alberta tenancy laws say you can't break a lease apparently.

However, the owner told me the man who lived here before me smoked inside, and he did proper remediation. When I shower, tar condenses on the walls as brown streaks and brown circles on the roof. There are holes in the lathe and I can see fibres, possibly the horsehair in the plaster, or asbestos as it is a 100 year old house with minimal renovations.

The furnace wasnt rehab'ed well or at all, and considering all the years of circulating smoke, this could be seen as a health hazard. I wake up coughing more than usual and it is quite dusty.

I might have grounds to break the lease, and may have to be mildly machiavelian to avhieve this..

Thoughts greatly appreciated.

Flight ban announcement today, it's going to be implemented. Can't get on a commercial plane, train or ferry from Nov 30 (test required after Oct 30). Full on totalitarianism.
Had my radio tuned-in to the AM 'all news' station at work yesterday; knew the live announcment was scheduled for 11:00am, 'parliament hill time'. Got started late (still drying-off his swim-trunks?), but around 20 minutes later the guns came out ablazin':

The phrase "do/done the right thing" was said half a dozen times throughout.

10:40+
"If you have done the right thing and gotten vaccinated, you deserve the freedom to be safe from covid19, to
have your kids safe from covid, to get back to things you love. ... because when it comes to keeping you and your
family safe, when it comes to avoiding lockdowns for everyone, this is no time for half-measures."

"... and in the weeks to come, we'll get the job done on a vaccine passport for international travel."

"freedom to be safe from covid19" is genocide codespeak for 'freedom to be safe from those who won't do the right thing'.

"... and we'll introduce legislation to make it a criminal offense to threaten or harass healthcare workers"
Curious to the extent how this^ will be convoluted-interpreted, both off and on-line.

Last edited:
Will this include international flights? Some pages say domestic flights only others say any Canadian airport. What options would you have to leave to country
Yes; domestic and international.

Options:
Cars and 'flag-poling' were not mentioned. We can still drive and walk into the United States (if they allow it), but not sure how to make it to Mexico after that point.

Last edited:

Parmesan

Woodpecker
The Alberta tenancy laws say you can't break a lease apparently..
Are landlords in Alberta regularly hiring lawyers to chase after a few thousand in rent? People walk away from leases everyday here in America, I highly doubt Alberta is any different. They will take your security deposit, that’s it. They aren’t sending the rent gestapo to hunt you down. You are seriously overthinking this.

kel

Ostrich
Right now the land borders are closed except for essential travel and Biden has announced vax proof will be required for all foreigners soon. Sneaking across the border might be an option, if a risky one. They can't secure a border that long. Problem is, you need somewhere to go after that, and you'll have only what you can bring with you.

I'm telling my Canadian friends to get out ASAP, before Nov 30. I'm putting some up at my parents house, some with me, some with friends etc until we can figure out a slightly longer term plan.

hedonist

Kingfisher
No mention of busses crossing but also another option is travel by a cargo ship to permantly leave.... would sure make for a fun story and experience lol.

I know it sounds a bit extreme but once you get to Asia for eg, hopefully the rules line up to fly to where you need to go.

Also I saw an article that queried how long this law will be in effect for. It might just be a temporary flex move to make people cave in but we shall see.
Most don’t read the fine print and the BC vax passport is set to expire in Jan 2022 unless they extend it.

kel

Ostrich
Are trains and buses crossing? Carrying just essential workers?

Honestly, though, private-ish travel by small planes that you charter or a boat across the great lakes might be a way of doing it. I honestly don't know how feasible it is, what one might expect on the other side as far as border control.

Eusebius Erasmus

Pelican
Orthodox
Are trains and buses crossing? Carrying just essential workers?

Honestly, though, private-ish travel by small planes that you charter or a boat across the great lakes might be a way of doing it. I honestly don't know how feasible it is, what one might expect on the other side as far as border control.
I think that if your end goal is the US, then you’re better off flying to Mexico and then walking across the Rio Grande.

kel

Ostrich
Yeah, right now maybe, though I think there are probably still places to cross along that big long border. There were known ones that anarchists I used to run with used, and of course there are ones migrants use to get in. Now, the powers that be are allowing that to happen obviously and won't be equally permissive of "dissidents" crossing, but the point remains that you can not secure such a long border, not even close, and if your plan is just to walk across a border with whatever you've got on your back I'm willing to bet you can do it more easily close to home, rather than flying to a third country (where you might not know anyone, don't speak the language, etc) and do the same in the other direction.

It sounds like starting November 30 it won't matter anyways, you won't be allowed on that plane to Mexico in the first place.

SeaEagle

Sparrow
As far as I know October 30th is the cutoff for those without a single dose, as most of us are in this camp I assume.

I don't see any reason for this government to rescind the travel ban personally. Unvaxxed are largely right leaning/non Libs, so there is little reason to pander to unvaxxed.

Maybe im pessimistic, but I'm also still a little on the fence about my GTFO plans.

kel

Ostrich
Oh, need one dose by then? I thought just a test would do until November 30. A (Canadian) friend of mine flew from Canada to Europe a few months back and he needed a test anyways, so I was surprised to read the "you'll need a test" thing.

SeaEagle

Sparrow
Oh, need one dose by then? I thought just a test would do until November 30. A (Canadian) friend of mine flew from Canada to Europe a few months back and he needed a test anyways, so I was surprised to read the "you'll need a test" thing.
I'll look into it further, an extra month here would help me get my ducks in a line. Interesting.

hedonist

Kingfisher
I'll look into it further, an extra month here would help me get my ducks in a line. Interesting.

I can’t get a solid answer on this either .... single dose or just a pcr test.
I fly for work so I won’t be returning if I can’t take the test.

If I really wanted I could probably do a runner before either oct 30/nov 30 but it would be ugly with shipping personal items etc and I’ll just be going into the same garbage in Australia (although vaccine not required to enter).

I might be crazy but I just don’t see how there won’t be other options even if inconvenient. Plus when other countries like Scandinavia are saying enough is enough it will cause even more pressure.

Also it seems a decent amount of people I’ve talked to have had the vaccine said they won’t be taking boosters. They already folded once but there will be a percentage of the vaxers that will say enough is enough.

SeaEagle

Sparrow
I can’t get a solid answer on this either .... single dose or just a pcr test.
I fly for work so I won’t be returning if I can’t take the test.

If I really wanted I could probably do a runner before either oct 30/nov 30 but it would be ugly with shipping personal items etc and I’ll just be going into the same garbage in Australia (although vaccine not required to enter).

I might be crazy but I just don’t see how there won’t be other options even if inconvenient. Plus when other countries like Scandinavia are saying enough is enough it will cause even more pressure.

Also it seems a decent amount of people I’ve talked to have had the vaccine said they won’t be taking boosters. They already folded once but there will be a percentage of the vaxers that will say enough is enough.
I can't seem to find a solid answer. I imagine that "in the process of being vaccinated" means having 1 dose. You also need a private molecular test done 72 hours before leaving.

The lack of clarity in the official release is frustrating, but what can you expect.