The Canada Political Thread

kel

Ostrich
My guess, and this is just a guess, is that for a while at least you'll be able to leave (though not necessarily enter at your destination) with just an attestation that you've taken one dose, with scary language at the bottom about it being a felony to lie, etc.

Until the nation-wide, and eventually world-wide, app is created.

Like Biden, Trudeau has so far only produced a smoke screen with this announcement. Are they going to legislate the law or are they trying to pressure companies to mandate a policy without a law being in place?

These new government restrictions on civil liberties are still announcements at this stage, and no law has been passed by Parliament or by way of cabinet regulation (Order-in-Council). So, no legal challenge is possible at this time. If the government intends to implement these vaccine travel mandates and give them the force of law, these policies can then be challenged in court.

I can’t get a solid answer on this either .... single dose or just a pcr test.
I fly for work so I won’t be returning if I can’t take the test.

If I really wanted I could probably do a runner before either oct 30/nov 30 but it would be ugly with shipping personal items etc and I’ll just be going into the same garbage in Australia (although vaccine not required to enter).

I might be crazy but I just don’t see how there won’t be other options even if inconvenient. Plus when other countries like Scandinavia are saying enough is enough it will cause even more pressure.

Also it seems a decent amount of people I’ve talked to have had the vaccine said they won’t be taking boosters. They already folded once but there will be a percentage of the vaxers that will say enough is enough.
I hope people who regret taking the first/second doses will hold firm. Many may fold like a cheap tent.

I am in the same situation as you, here in Canada and the announcement took me quite back. Australia is just in as bad a shape but I have family there. Also, if there is any future after all this, settling down in Australia would be preferable.

hedonist

Kingfisher
I hope people who regret taking the first/second doses will hold firm. Many may fold like a cheap tent.

I am in the same situation as you, here in Canada and the announcement took me quite back. Australia is just in as bad a shape but I have family there. Also, if there is any future after all this, settling down in Australia would be preferable.
Ok you were the person I was thinking of.
I think once my folks pass I’d look at moving to central or South America anyhow. But I’m considering cargo ship to Japan for example then heading back to Aus as an option.
Plus it will be an experience!!

I’m going to take winter off most likely to see if this blows over a little, sort out sending items back and then cross whatever bridge is in front of me.

Ok you were the person I was thinking of.
I think once my folks pass I’d look at moving to central or South America anyhow. But I’m considering cargo ship to Japan for example then heading back to Aus as an option.
Plus it will be an experience!!

I’m going to take winter off most likely to see if this blows over a little, sort out sending items back and then cross whatever bridge is in front of me.
That sounds like a plan. Going by cargo I hadn't thought of, and if plan b does not work out that may be another option.

I am in the midst of being confirmed and that takes precedence, that will likely happen on Advent, God wiling.

My thought would be to go to Mexico for a little bit and then fly to Aus. FIji airways have connecting flights, the country policy is you have to be double jabbed but I don't think that matters for connecting flights, I could be wrong though.

My dilemma is the November 30 deadline, has anyone found out if you can fly with a just a PCR test? Secondarily, having never taken one, I wonder if it is a sin to even take one? I know that sounds extreme but in a way it is consenting to all the crap that is going on.

DeWoken

Robin
Secondarily, having never taken one, I wonder if it is a sin to even take one? I know that sounds extreme but in a way it is consenting to all the crap that is going on.
There was that video about the tests being possibly laced with whatever.

The cargo ship sounds like a fun adventure... as long as you have heated quarters. It probably takes 3 weeks to cross the pacific. There's probably other stowaway options. Hiking across the US border would be significantly more challenging in wintertime: if they are going to go full-Melbourne on us that might be the time.

kel

Ostrich
I know a girl who crossed the Atlantic on a cargo ship as a passenger. This was years ago, pre-lockdown. Didn't even know that was a thing they offered. They may not, now.

2Infinity

Woodpecker
Tickets booked, I'm getting out of the country as well temporarily before Oct 30, leaving my lease in place (might get the help of a friend to sublet it if possible but there's a chance it would sit empty, most of my possessions and furniture left behind) - will most likely have to return to Canada eventually but lets see what happens in the next 2-3 months. Scrambling to make arrangements for remote work, and am thankful it seems like its going to be possible.

I'm going somewhere that's warm and sunny, so even if I'm a lunatic for deciding this course of action, the worse case outcome in hindsight is I got to take a nice 2-3 semi-month vacation away from the cold in a lower cost of living country.

Last edited:

eradicator

Peacock
Gold Member
Tickets booked, I'm getting out of the country as well temporarily before Oct 30, leaving my lease in place (might get the help of a friend to sublet it if possible but there's a chance it would sit empty, most of my possessions and furniture left behind) - will most likely have to return to Canada eventually but lets see what happens in the next 2-3 months. Scrambling to make arrangements for remote work, and am thankful it seems like its going to be possible.

I'm going somewhere that's warm and sunny, so even if I'm a lunatic for deciding this course of action, the worse case outcome in hindsight is I got to take a nice 2-3 semi-month vacation away from the cold in a cheap cost of living country.

You aren't crazy at all. I'd suggest putting all of your furniture into storage or selling it all and breaking your lease officially rather than leaving everything. But yeah that's your decision obviously, but no real point in paying rent on 2 places at once.

2Infinity

Woodpecker
You aren't crazy at all. I'd suggest putting all of your furniture into storage or selling it all and breaking your lease officially rather than leaving everything. But yeah that's your decision obviously, but no real point in paying rent on 2 places at once.

It's gone through my mind, I'm leaving the few valuable items that aren't easy to carry with a friend here and the rest of the stuff worse case if I need to I can get a friend to fire-sale it later, thankfully I don't own a ton of stuff. I feel a bit crap about potentially taking the hit on the lease, but am hoping finding a potential sublet can offset the loss on the 3-4 months.

kel

Ostrich
Good for you pulling the trigger. I'm trying to give some of my Canadian friends the push to do the same - they want to, but it's a risk, obviously, coming here to the US where they can't legally work, leaving so much behind. But, it seems like it's kinda now or never.

2Infinity

Woodpecker
Good for you pulling the trigger. I'm trying to give some of my Canadian friends the push to do the same - they want to, but it's a risk, obviously, coming here to the US where they can't legally work, leaving so much behind. But, it seems like it's kinda now or never.

Yep would have very much liked to permanently move to Florida or so, but not an American citizen.

Will the red-state Americans one day please accept us un-vaxxed refugees? :laughter: I even bring my own remote job with me lol

kel

Ostrich
Honestly, I'd just do it if I were you. Once you're here, physically, you're pretty much golden if you can continue working remotely. Lots of Canadians go to Florida for the winter, for instance. You gotta keep your nose relatively clean, but by and large life in the US (for now) doesn't require a whole lot of legal stuff, checking IDs, etc. Employment is the big one, and without a credit history in the country some apartment rentals might be closed to you, that's about it. It's not that different from going to some resort country.

SeaEagle

Sparrow
I hit a snag in my Poland expat plan. Sounds like it takes a year or two to get citizenship through ancestry, and I have no real way to get a visa past 3 months. I'm giving up cash-flow by moving there too. I'm neither wealthy nor skilled in an occupation I could work over there.

Might have to get working on skills and learning the language in the hopes I can escape after this is over, if it ever is. Trying times indeed.

We don't know where this is going but the last month has shown that if you get mandates at work or elsewhere, call their bluff.

I agree that this is a good thing, short-term. However, I am quite sure that they will have no problem replacing these health care "heroes" (lol) with Africans, Asians, Middle Easterners and most likely ultimately AI, and in fact, this has been the plan all along. I think they are just delaying right now because they don't have the plane loads of enrichment lined up quite yet.

PS - My personal take on this is, this is what these health care workers deserve. They should have come forward in 2020 when the great majority of them knew this was all bullshit and instead they made tic-toc videos and happily accepted their "Front Line Heroes" accolades, thinking they could ride this out and save their careers while everyone in the private sector lost their jobs and businesses. I know that might sound a bit black-pilled but that's my two cents. :)

Last edited:
PS - My personal take on this is, this is what these health care workers deserve. They should have come forward in 2020 when the great majority of them knew this was all bullshit and instead they made tic-toc videos and happily accepted their "Front Line Heroes" accolades, thinking they could ride this out and save their careers while everyone in the private sector lost their jobs and businesses. I know that might sound a bit black-pilled but that's my two cents. :)
To be fair, the few health care workers I know have been working their asses off for the last two years and they are extremely stressed and burned out.

Aboulia

Woodpecker
Orthodox
We don't know where this is going but the last month has shown that if you get mandates at work or elsewhere, call their bluff.

Good. They're showing that they're willing to cave if enough people to tell them to kick rocks.

I am flying to the US to visit a monastery before the deadline, but I plan on returning as I have the opposite opinion, in that each person should try to be as rooted as possible. When you've got a good reputation, and behave consistently, you can help resist the current injustices. Alienated, rootless people don't have those strong societal connections to resist change(Which is why immigration is encouraged) and is contributing to the current situation. You're essentially encouraging people to run rather than fight, I hope you're doing this with a very clear plan in mind (please don't disclose or indicate in either direction), otherwise, what will happen when the agenda is pushed harder in America? Those people you're counselling to run will fold even faster.