The Canada Political Thread

ed pluribus unum

Ostrich
Protestant
Alberta. The Quebec protests are impressive. We had a massive protest before the last election that might have been as big as 5,000. There are some good leaders in the anti-vax movement (Pastor Artur) here and they are starting to take it to the politicians homes (although the invitations are done privately and I am not privy). I often wonder if we are really accomplishing anything and some of the folks in the movement are definitely very fringe (into all kind of other conspiracies). I think there is starting to be perhaps an understanding that the measures are over the top but don't know if that is enough to roll back the loss of our liberties. For my personal situation, if I lost my job I would be in real trouble.

I was talking about this to a pal that I got to start coming out to the marches with me, regarding who's showing up. It's going to happen, and the media will always latch on to the most fringe-looking ones, what can you do. But, as a generally button-down middle aged kind of guy, I was on my way to the start of the march and I saw a couple younger guys, one dressed in camo with long dreadlocks and smoking weed, and I thought "those guys are going to the same place I am" and I was fine with that. I would rather know that I was part of something that resonated with a broad cross-section of society, than show up and have a homogeneous crowd. Feels good from the inside, and better optics for the outside. My $0.02.

I've requested a no-vax accommodation from my workplace and they're still "considering" it. Basically it means waking up every day wondering "will today be the day I find out I'm out of a job?" So yeah, I know the feeling, but I am ready to face it. Job loss is reversible, taking the vaxx is not.

canuckj

Woodpecker
Other Christian
I was talking about this to a pal that I got to start coming out to the marches with me, regarding who's showing up. It's going to happen, and the media will always latch on to the most fringe-looking ones, what can you do. But, as a generally button-down middle aged kind of guy, I was on my way to the start of the march and I saw a couple younger guys, one dressed in camo with long dreadlocks and smoking weed, and I thought "those guys are going to the same place I am" and I was fine with that. I would rather know that I was part of something that resonated with a broad cross-section of society, than show up and have a homogeneous crowd. Feels good from the inside, and better optics for the outside. My $0.02.

I've requested a no-vax accommodation from my workplace and they're still "considering" it. Basically it means waking up every day wondering "will today be the day I find out I'm out of a job?" So yeah, I know the feeling, but I am ready to face it. Job loss is reversible, taking the vaxx is not.
I think you just stated something I have observed and was trying to communicate to others. The crowd at the protests is pro-freedom not necessarily traditional right wing. In fact many of the boomer CPC voters are pro-vax as they want to travel and enjoy a trouble free retirement. Many attendees at the rallies are likely former Green Party or NDP and now vote PPC. There is definitely a natural health, libertarian type aspect and many of the young people are quite diverse ethnically. I this is awesome. These folks don't want to suppress free speech or take firearms away either.

hedonist

Pelican
Other Christian
The fact the vax now (in the words of vax supporters) doesn't prevent only makes the symptoms milder (in their words not mine) also helps. Add in the fact almost all cases are now amongst the vaxed.

This is one thing that has always bothered me, they will never know if they would have been asymptomatic now after taking the vaccine.
Maybe the effects might actually be a little worse after taking it! Omicron certainly seems to "hunt down" the vaccinated not so much the other way around. Of course there is a much higher percentage of people that have taken it so that could be the reason.

But they never consider for one second COVID may have had mild effects for them without the shot.

hedonist

Pelican
Other Christian

I saw one video reporting on the protests in Vancouver and they were hunting down the most Q types to speak.

A few speakers went on the "save the children" rants etc......there are so many things wrong with whats currently going on none of this sort of thing needs to be brought up. It will only push away people who are on the fence.

The need to be pulled in and stick to the loses of freedom/mandates/side effects.

What is spooking me is that they probably will try to mandate the vaccine but not the boosters initially.....if only the masses could see they are hanging themselves and will eventually be in the same boat as the unvaxed when their subscription runs out....

Eusebius Erasmus

Ostrich
Orthodox
Good article from Jordan Peterson. I believe he is someone the normies listen to and may be indicative of a shift in thought?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/top...we-can-t-fix/ar-AASDjZY?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

PS: How do I insert an article so you can see it rather than just a text link?

The article has a tone of, "Now that the restrictions are inconveniencing me, I'm angry. It's all about me!"

Regardless, what you say is true: this could signal a change of tone. Jordan Peterson is controlled opposition, and the fact that he was allowed to publish this means that they want to shift gears to a different narrative (supply chain, financial reset, climate change, etc.).

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
One factor to consider is the hipster effect. Calgary is an affordable major city that used to have well paying white collar jobs. It is also attractive to the young folks who like nature, snow boarding, cycling and craft beer. Not all are left-wing but some definitely are.
Ya you’ll see some freaks and weirdos around Sunnyside but Calgary is still a right wing fortress (judging by the seats the UCP got last provincial in Edmonton) compared to Redmonton. I live in the only NDP federal riding in Alberta and it’s full of freaks but MP Heather McPherson is ok: she voted for the TransMountain pipeline, is a cougar and sent me a 2022 calendar full of cute puppies and kittens, damn you NDP!

Laner

Crow
Protestant
Gold Member
The article has a tone of, "Now that the restrictions are inconveniencing me, I'm angry. It's all about me!"

Regardless, what you say is true: this could signal a change of tone. Jordan Peterson is controlled opposition, and the fact that he was allowed to publish this means that they want to shift gears to a different narrative (supply chain, financial reset, climate change, etc.).

Anyone wishing that JP came out of the gate swinging doesn't understand boomers nor battle.

The boomer in him waited until the world started to inconvenience him before stepping up. But the intelligence in him justified it by making sure his timing was right (and he would be correct).

Now is exactly the right time for people such as him to start making noise. The narrative is collapsing and people are starting to wake up. He can be a soothing character to wake up to. As much fun as it would be to smack the normies who are waking up, it just doesn't help. We need to be understanding and helpful, not condescending and pissed off toward them.

There are people who knowingly did this to us, and will continue to harm anyone they can. This is where the anger needs to be placed.

NoMoreTO

Hummingbird
Catholic
Universal healthcare isn't very universal. He has to go "Further" than the vaccine passport. It's a question of fairness! The 90% who made a sacrafice and got vaxxed? Wait, whats the sacrafice with taking good medicine? I thought people took the jab for their own good!

So confused. :hmm:

hedonist

Pelican
Other Christian

canuckj

Woodpecker
Other Christian
I saw one video reporting on the protests in Vancouver and they were hunting down the most Q types to speak.

A few speakers went on the "save the children" rants etc......there are so many things wrong with whats currently going on none of this sort of thing needs to be brought up. It will only push away people who are on the fence.

The need to be pulled in and stick to the loses of freedom/mandates/side effects.

What is spooking me is that they probably will try to mandate the vaccine but not the boosters initially.....if only the masses could see they are hanging themselves and will eventually be in the same boat as the unvaxed when their subscription runs out....
I have also seen a bit of "freeman on the land" types on some online groups as well and some folks making racist comments which definitely doesn't help our cause when many of our supporters are non-white.

canuckj

Woodpecker
Other Christian
Universal healthcare isn't very universal. He has to go "Further" than the vaccine passport. It's a question of fairness! The 90% who made a sacrafice and got vaxxed? Wait, whats the sacrafice with taking good medicine? I thought people took the jab for their own good!

So confused. :hmm:

None of this makes sense to me no matter how many times people explain it to me. Unless I have missed something I don't think the morgues in Canada are filling up with COVID mortalities. Why is so much times and resources devoted to this? Sure if you are sick or really elderly stay home and be safe. At one of the rallies there was a guy so old he could barely stand and an elderly woman who finished the march in a walker. Who are the healthy dweebs who are so terrified of COVID?

Eusebius Erasmus

Ostrich
Orthodox
None of this makes sense to me no matter how many times people explain it to me. Unless I have missed something I don't think the morgues in Canada are filling up with COVID mortalities. Why is so much times and resources devoted to this? Sure if you are sick or really elderly stay home and be safe. At one of the rallies there was a guy so old he could barely stand and an elderly woman who finished the march in a walker. Who are the healthy dweebs who are so terrified of COVID?

The reason is obvious. This has never been about a virus or a vaccine. This is about complete control through global digital dictatorship.

ed pluribus unum

Ostrich
Protestant

canuckj

Woodpecker
Other Christian
Ya you’ll see some freaks and weirdos around Sunnyside but Calgary is still a right wing fortress (judging by the seats the UCP got last provincial in Edmonton) compared to Redmonton. I live in the only NDP federal riding in Alberta and it’s full of freaks but MP Heather McPherson is ok: she voted for the TransMountain pipeline, is a cougar and sent me a 2022 calendar full of cute puppies and kittens, damn you NDP!
The provincial government needs to farm out all the departments to the different corners of the province. Energy to Fort Mac, Forestry to Hinton, Agriculture to Olds and so on. This might help things a bit. After that move the capital to Red Deer.