The Canada Political Thread

hedonist

Pelican
Other Christian

665 comments as of posting :/

Federal COVID-19 vaccine contracts mean Canada should get enough doses to give two or three more mRNA shots to every Canadian, every year, until at least 2024.

But even as the National Advisory Committee on Immunization is now suggesting some Canadians get in line for their fourth doses, the World Health Organization is warning that "repeated booster doses of the original vaccine composition" are not a sustainable plan to end the pandemic.

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
The provincial government needs to farm out all the departments to the different corners of the province. Energy to Fort Mac, Forestry to Hinton, Agriculture to Olds and so on. This might help things a bit. After that move the capital to Red Deer.
Haha I hate Red Deer and haven’t been into the city in about a decade, the only time I stop nearby is to take a dump in Gasoline Alley and grab a coffee. Central Alberta sucks, Hinton kinda sucks too (another place I only stop for gas) but there’s some great views of the Rockies there.

JoeChill

Kingfisher
Protestant
Gold Member
Let's not let fear overwhelm us. The following headlines show that even the tyrants in Quebec are uncertain about their ability to enforce their decrees:

* CBC headline on 12 October 2021 "Quebec Health Minister Won't Budge on Friday's Vaccine Deadline for Health-Care Workers."

* CBC headline on 13 October 2021 "Quebec Delays Vaccine Mandate for Health-Care Workers By One Month, Fearing Staffing Crisis."

* CTV headline on 3 November 2021 "Vaccines Won't Be Mandatory for Existing Quebec Health-Care Workers, Only New Hires."

* CBC headline on 28 December 2021 "Quebec Allows Some Infected Health Workers to Stay on the Job as Covid-Related Absences Rise."

So much for the "tough guy" image that these bozos are trying to project. I'd post screenshots, but the files are too large.

JoeChill

Kingfisher
Protestant
Gold Member
Something to look out for in the case of divorced/separated parents:

Unvaccinated Quebec man's child visitation rights temporarily suspended

A Superior Court judge has temporarily suspended the child visitation rights of a Quebec man after the court heard he is unvaccinated and opposes the province’s COVID-19 health regulations.

In a ruling handed down on Dec. 23, Judge Jean-Sebastien Vaillancourt wrote, “It would normally be in the best interests of the child to have contact with his father, but it is not in his best interest to have contact with him if he is unvaccinated and opposed to health measures in the present epidemiological context.”

Vaillancourt’s decision followed a petition by the father that his access to his 12-year-old child be extended by one day over the Christmas holidays. The child’s mother answered the request by seeking to have all access to the child suspended on the grounds she had recently learned the father was unvaccinated and, according to the judgment, a “conspiracy theorist” and “anti-vaccine.”

The father said he was unvaccinated and had “reservations” over vaccines, but told the court that he respected health regulations and rarely left his home.

ed pluribus unum

Ostrich
Protestant
Since I know you guys all use Aveeno to maintain that healthy glow and keep your skin soft, maybe you could participate in this class action suit and get $60 back from J&J. Stick it to Big Pharma for a change.

TooFineAPoint

Ostrich
Protestant
Haha I hate Red Deer and haven’t been into the city in about a decade, the only time I stop nearby is to take a dump in Gasoline Alley and grab a coffee. Central Alberta sucks, Hinton kinda sucks too (another place I only stop for gas) but there’s some great views of the Rockies there.
Albertan here (born in Edmonton), with lots of family in Red Deer.

Everything you said is exactly true. The Gasoline Alley donut windmill is the only thing worth stopping in Red Deer for.

Now...

Jasper, Banff, the Badlands, and most of Southern Alberta... different story. The capital should be Calgary, and then southern Alberta should secede (along with Interior BC) to form the new country of Chadistan.

DeWoken

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer

Everything you said is exactly true. The Gasoline Alley donut windmill is the only thing worth stopping in Red Deer for.

Now...

Jasper, Banff, the Badlands, and most of Southern Alberta... different story. The capital should be Calgary, and then southern Alberta should secede (along with Interior BC) to form the new country of Chadistan.
So you don't recommend Edmonton? Any other Alberta reviews? Is Red Deer just too damn cold?

Where do the beeves roam?

Alberta.gif

I'm glad to read JBP's piece. I haven't been following him closely during this scam but it didn't sound like he was making himself very useful.

Reactions: 911

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member

Now...

I agree, although I haven’t spent much time in southern Alberta, I thought Drumheller, Turner Valley and Pincher Creek were really nice spots. One place that really surprised me because I thought it would totally suck was Cold Lake, especially in the summer, as the name suggests, it’s a lake town and great for boating, fishing and hunting. Lac La biche area is pretty nice too for cabin/lake life style. Lloydminster definitely sucks, it has lots of cookie cutter big box stores, restaurants and bars but it’s just one strip of highway and full of oil trash. The absolute worst place I’ve even been was Fox Creek, I don’t understand how anyone in their right mind could live there.

I met up with some of my Scotian buddies recently who moved back home after the boom and they all say that they miss Alberta: the “get er done” work ethic, people’s open attitude to newcomers (at work), low taxes, liquor stores everywhere and the sunny days but they had families so wanted to be back home.

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
So you don't recommend Edmonton? Any other Alberta reviews? Is Red Deer just too damn cold?

Where do the beeves roam?

View attachment 36383

I'm glad to read JBP's piece. I haven't been following him closely during this scam but it didn't sound like he was making himself very useful.

Edmonton is just ok, it's a decent sized city of about 1 million and the local economy is solid with oil refineries, the University of Alberta (a top uni in the country) and lots of provincial and federal government jobs, some really good hospitals too. The downside is that it's a very cold city in the winter and the season lasts long, I've seen snow in September although it's rare, it definitely snows in October and you can experience -20 to -30 in November. You will experience -40 in January, the city just broke out of a brutal cold snap, the longest one in fifty years. The extreme cold can last til mid-March and the snow well into April, even May, the long weekend of May 24th is hit and miss for camping as it often snows, as I found out during my first camping trip to Nordeg.

This is why I typically leave Alberta for 3-4 months each winter, growing up on the east coast, I never experienced these extreme cold temperatures and never got used to them: https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/nastiest-deep-freeze-in-edmonton-in-over-a-half-century-1.5732278

Calgary is by far a better city and anyone who disagrees is probably an envious Edmontonian but their economy is a bit shaky especially since the 2015 oil crash, it hasn't seemed to recover with commercial vacancies in the downtown core being some of the highest in North America. They're trying to make the switch to tech but it doesn't seem to be going so well, which is a shame as the city is really nice, clean, safe and close to the Rockies, unlike Deadmonton.

canuckj

Woodpecker
Other Christian

Now...

Except Peace River and most areas north of Edmonton are very based too. Removing the government from Edmonton and farming them out around the province would help break the NDP strength in Edmonton.

canuckj

Woodpecker
Other Christian
I agree, although I haven’t spent much time in southern Alberta, I thought Drumheller, Turner Valley and Pincher Creek were really nice spots. One place that really surprised me because I thought it would totally suck was Cold Lake, especially in the summer, as the name suggests, it’s a lake town and great for boating, fishing and hunting. Lac La biche area is pretty nice too for cabin/lake life style. Lloydminster definitely sucks, it has lots of cookie cutter big box stores, restaurants and bars but it’s just one strip of highway and full of oil trash. The absolute worst place I’ve even been was Fox Creek, I don’t understand how anyone in their right mind could live there.

I met up with some of my Scotian buddies recently who moved back home after the boom and they all say that they miss Alberta: the “get er done” work ethic, people’s open attitude to newcomers (at work), low taxes, liquor stores everywhere and the sunny days but they had families so wanted to be back home.
I think this needs to be put in perspective. I have relatives in Winnipeg and literally nothing in Alberta is as bad as that. Edmonton and even Slave Lake are warmer than Winnipeg in the winter. Pretty much every town in Alberta has a complex with a swimming pool and waterslide (not that folks like us can use them now) as well, even a dump like Wetaskiwin. Last time I visited Winnipeg (after 10 years) in the winter I was shocked. It was freezing cold, very windy, flat, and run down. It doesn't seem like anything had been upgraded and there are entire neighborhoods of run down shacks (north end, near airport, etc.). The downtown core is a crime cesspool and very dangerous as well. Add in the city (federally) is pretty much all Liberal and NDP as well. Alberta healthcare is also a million times better and you can often get into a walk-in clinic in an hour or get specialized tests here. In Manitoba they tell you to take a hike. I know Manitoba has nice spots in the summer but pretty much everything in Alberta is better than Winnipeg.

Last edited:

Laner

Crow
Protestant
Gold Member
Also an Albertan here.

The north and south are different provinces, as @TooFineAPoint mentions.

I am biased to the north to some degree, but only because I have some 150 odd kin running around those parts. Mostly in the Peace Region - Slave Lake - Rocky areas. The towns aren't much to look at as the harsh winter means you really can't get around without a vehicle and therefore the design of these places reflects that. But the rural areas around there are magic. 5 min outside of any of those towns are incredible and the people are solid as they come in Canada.

The south wins on livability though. My favorite spots are Black Diamond/Turner Valley - but again a bit biased as I have family there. Sundre is more central but the area around there is awesome. Nordegg has some potential but the Crown Land thing is fucking insane and therefore Nordegg will always just be an isolated town when it should be a hot little tourist town.

Right down along the border with Montana is some of the most beautiful lands in the world. Not many people around either, and its surprising how cheap the land can be. Windy as all hell. But Lethbridge is about the most insane marxist place around. The retards who are too nuts to get into commie studies at UofA go to Lethbridge. But if you stick around rural Cardston its pretty great. Its a tough place though with real cowboys and old lines of ranching families.

canuckj

Woodpecker
Other Christian
Also an Albertan here.

The north and south are different provinces, as @TooFineAPoint mentions.

I am biased to the north to some degree, but only because I have some 150 odd kin running around those parts. Mostly in the Peace Region - Slave Lake - Rocky areas. The towns aren't much to look at as the harsh winter means you really can't get around without a vehicle and therefore the design of these places reflects that. But the rural areas around there are magic. 5 min outside of any of those towns are incredible and the people are solid as they come in Canada.

The south wins on livability though. My favorite spots are Black Diamond/Turner Valley - but again a bit biased as I have family there. Sundre is more central but the area around there is awesome. Nordegg has some potential but the Crown Land thing is fucking insane and therefore Nordegg will always just be an isolated town when it should be a hot little tourist town.

Right down along the border with Montana is some of the most beautiful lands in the world. Not many people around either, and its surprising how cheap the land can be. Windy as all hell. But Lethbridge is about the most insane marxist place around. The retards who are too nuts to get into commie studies at UofA go to Lethbridge. But if you stick around rural Cardston its pretty great. Its a tough place though with real cowboys and old lines of ranching families.
Interesting about Lethbridge. I didn't know that. A friend in Calgary keeps trying to get me to go up to Valleyview with him to hunt. I never understood why he would drive so far when you can go to Rocky Mountain House or somewhere closer but he is usually successful. Probably next deer season.

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
Valleyview, another great place to stop for a bowel movement haha

They’ve got some serious competition in Lac La Biche though which was recently named Canada’s best washroom, I have no idea why they do this

canuckj

Woodpecker
Other Christian
Valleyview, another great place to stop for a bowel movement haha

They’ve got some serious competition in Lac La Biche though which was recently named Canada’s best washroom, I have no idea why they do this
I would definitely go out of my way for a clean washroom. Some public facilities are downright nasty.

tikkasakko

Sparrow
Orthodox Catechumen
I think this needs to be put in perspective. I have relatives in Winnipeg and literally nothing in Alberta is as bad as that. Edmonton and even Slave Lake are warmer than Winnipeg in the winter. Pretty much every town in Alberta has a complex with a swimming pool and waterslide (not that folks like us can use them now) as well, even a dump like Wetaskiwin. Last time I visited Winnipeg (after 10 years) in the winter I was shocked. It was freezing cold, very windy, flat, and run down. It doesn't seem like anything had been upgraded and there are entire neighborhoods of run down shacks (north end, near airport, etc.). The downtown core is a crime cesspool and very dangerous as well. Add in the city (federally) is pretty much all Liberal and NDP as well. Alberta healthcare is also a million times better and you can often get into a walk-in clinic in an hour or get specialized tests here. In Manitoba they tell you to take a hike. I know Manitoba has nice spots in the summer but pretty much everything in Alberta is better than Winnipeg.
You think Winnipeg is bad? Im from Thompson Manitoba. Its a mining town around 800km north of Winnipeg. Highest crime rate per capita in Canada when I grew up there, although Prince Albert and Battleford seem to be giving it a run for the money these days. In Alberta now thank God.

Laner

Crow
Protestant
Gold Member
Interesting about Lethbridge. I didn't know that. A friend in Calgary keeps trying to get me to go up to Valleyview with him to hunt. I never understood why he would drive so far when you can go to Rocky Mountain House or somewhere closer but he is usually successful. Probably next deer season.
Yeah Valleyview is a stretch for someone in Calgary. Maybe he just knows guys around there, which makes it easier. Is he going for deer?

canuckj

Woodpecker
Other Christian
Yeah Valleyview is a stretch for someone in Calgary. Maybe he just knows guys around there, which makes it easier. Is he going for deer?
He hunts deer and black bear. Crown land I believe. Seems to do well up there each year. I was supposed to join him this fall but had to do renos to sell a rental property during that time. I currently don't have a truck so I need to go with someone else and he likes the place. I really want to get my son into hunting and make some jerky.

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
You think Winnipeg is bad? Im from Thompson Manitoba. Its a mining town around 800km north of Winnipeg. Highest crime rate per capita in Canada when I grew up there, although Prince Albert and Battleford seem to be giving it a run for the money these days. In Alberta now thank God.

I lived and worked in North Battleford, Sask for three months back in 2018, it's definitely a rough town that, at the time, had the distinction of being the most violent city in Canada, per capita. I'll never forget my first night there when I moved into the apartment a coworker was renting, I ordered a pizza and the delivery guy, a young Native fella, told me that "I shouldn't walk around here at night" after I told him that I just moved in. I knew what he meant but asked him why and he straight up said "Bro I'm Native but the kids around here are savage, they'll swarm you, bear spray you then beat you up just for fun." Fortunately I was working nights so didn't go out much, it was also winter time so too cold for the goons to hang out but once March rolled around and the weather warmed up, we'd see random guys walking around at 3am with chainsaws other odd things that they likely stole out of someone's garage.

I worked with a girl who grew up there and said it was a great place in the 80/90s, the landscape is nice as it's in a valley, but twenty years or so ago a bunch of riff raff from the nearby reserves moved in and it really went down hill. This is where that white farmer guy shot and killed that young Bouchie thug who was trespassing on his property, a coworker told me he probably meant to do it after dealing with their crap so much over the years. Saskatchewan folk have the most insane Native stories, I'm sure it's the same in Manitoba, the Prairies can be wild in that regard; literally Cowboys and Indians, YEE HAW!!!