The Canada Political Thread

RedLagoon

Kingfisher
Orthodox Inquirer
I lived and worked in North Battleford, Sask for three months back in 2018, it's definitely a rough town that, at the time, had the distinction of being the most violent city in Canada, per capita. I'll never forget my first night there when I moved into the apartment a coworker was renting, I ordered a pizza and the delivery guy, a young Native fella, told me that "I shouldn't walk around here at night" after I told him that I just moved in. I knew what he meant but asked him why and he straight up said "Bro I'm Native but the kids around here are savage, they'll swarm you, bear spray you then beat you up just for fun." Fortunately I was working nights so didn't go out much, it was also winter time so too cold for the goons to hang out but once March rolled around and the weather warmed up, we'd see random guys walking around at 3am with chainsaws other odd things that they likely stole out of someone's garage.

I worked with a girl who grew up there and said it was a great place in the 80/90s, the landscape is nice as it's in a valley, but twenty years or so ago a bunch of riff raff from the nearby reserves moved in and it really went down hill. This is where that white farmer guy shot and killed that young Bouchie thug who was trespassing on his property, a coworker told me he probably meant to do it after dealing with their crap so much over the years. Saskatchewan folk have the most insane Native stories, I'm sure it's the same in Manitoba, the Prairies can be wild in that regard; literally Cowboys and Indians, YEE HAW!!!

Sounds like the outback but cold. Same crap here with the aboriginals. Nice small towns turned into dumpster fires in the matter of a couple of decades. But even the small country (non outback agricultural) towns here have a lot of crims who left the big cities and headed for greener pastures the last couple of decades and bully the locals with their open abuse, drugs, drunkenness, burnouts, loud music and yes, theft out of garages.

But a lot of the colonial heritage gold mining towns have gentrified in the last few years and are a nice place to be for now.

Parmesan

Kingfisher
Other Christian
Can someone explain Alberta to me? It keeps getting referenced as the only sane place in Canada, but it seems like there is even more Covid quackery coming out of there than even the worst blue states. I haven't heard much about BC at all, is it just a matter of Alberta not being as nuts as other provinces?

scotian

Peacock
Gold Member
I nominate Laner or Toofineapoint to explain the culture as I’m an economic migrant, what former premier Klein would’ve called “An eastern creep and bum” Alberta is basically the red headed step child of the nation. When Canada became a country in 1867, Alberta didn’t exist (it became a province in 1905), it was mostly just a bunch of Mounties, fur traders, Natives and horny Frenchmen who spawned a race of half breeds called the Metis and those guys caused a lot of problems so the Anglo Protestant government hanged Louis Riel, their leader. They were still worried about the Frogs taking over out west so they decided to offer a bunch of backward Eastern Europeans free land to farm if they got on ships from Europe to Halifax then on trains to ride out west on the recently completed Canadian railway that linked the country from coast to coast. They used to send Chinamen into tunnels with dynamite to blow up mountains, many died, at least that’s what the TV told me in the 90s.

A lot of these Euroweenies were “different” and didn’t fit into the dominant French/Anglo elite society of Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto but they didn’t seem to care, they had literally escaped Stalin’s pogroms and other insane events like the Ukrainian Holomodor. It seems like they just wanted to work the land and be left alone, so much so that a bunch of Russian speaking immigrants called the Dukhobors protested the war draft by marching naked in the Kooteney mountains of BC, they also burned down a bank, the “Sons of Freedom”. They had lived in Alberta and Saskatchewan before settling in BC, apparently the winters are easier to be naked in Nelson than Moose Jaw. I’ve met a few Hutterites in Alberta, they’re everywhere and still speak German and mind their own business.

Alberta was quite poor and mostly agricultural up until the 50s when they struck black gold in Leduc and went on to become the richest province in the country, the eastern elite don’t like these hillbillies having nice things so they screw Alberta a lot in politics but are happy to take their resource royalty money. There is an Alberta separatist/independence movement, I don’t know much about it but doubt it’ll ever happen, it would be cool if it did though.

I won’t get into the whole Trudeau hate thing in Alberta but I know guys from Ontario who tell people that they’re from Manitoba just to avoid conflict at work. Albertans are often very resentful about their status in the country and rightly so, Canadians look down on blue collar folks who drive $80,000 pick ups and don’t want the government to dictate their lives. For that they’re portrayed as racist red necks by Toronto soy boy columnists.

It’s kinda like when I moved from Edmonton to Victoria and had to change my cell number from 780 to 250 because the chicks weren’t getting back to me, there’s some funny regionalism in this country.

Last edited:

JoeChill

Kingfisher
Protestant
Gold Member
Rick Nicholls, Conservative MPP for Ontario, is alleging a connection between elected government officials and bio-tech companies based in British Columbia.“ If Mr. Nicholls is correct in his accusations, this could prove to be a major conflict of interest for the politicians involved in the Covid-19 measures. Further information can be found here: https://capforcanada.com/canadian-politician-ties-justin-trudeau-to-pandemic-profit-making/

It's not a "smoking gun", but this could be the starting point of something big. From the website:

"As a corollary, let us reference what has been labelled the Winnipeg-Wuhan Covid Scandal. A brief review informs us that the opposition Conservative Party spent the last two years pushing the Liberals to divulge why two Chinese nationals were fired from a government-funded Winnipeg bio-tech lab.

How did Justin Trudeau respond toward a legislative procedure to investigate the details? The Liberals launched a lawsuit against one of their own MP’s– House Speaker Anthony Rota– asking a court to block an order to produce relevant documentation."

EDIT It's going to be difficult to prove that Trudeau is deliberately benefiting from vaccine policies in light of this information: https://nationalpost.com/news/polit...y-moves-personal-investments-into-blind-trust

Last edited:

Laner

Crow
Protestant
Gold Member
I nominate Laner or Toofineapoint to explain the culture as I’m an economic migrant, what former premier Klein would’ve called “An eastern creep and bum” Alberta is basically the red headed step child of the nation. When Canada became a country in 1867, Alberta didn’t exist (it became a province in 1905), it was mostly just a bunch of Mounties, fur traders, Natives and horny Frenchmen who spawned a race of half breeds called the Metis and those guys caused a lot of problems so the Anglo Protestant government hanged Louis Riel, their leader. They were still worried about the Frogs taking over out west so they decided to offer a bunch of backward Eastern Europeans free land to farm if they got on ships from Europe to Halifax then on trains to ride out west on the recently completed Canadian railway that linked the country from coast to coast. They used to send Chinamen into tunnels with dynamite to blow up mountains, many died, at least that’s what the TV told me in the 90s.

A lot of these Euroweenies were “different” and didn’t fit into the dominant French/Anglo elite society of Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto but they didn’t seem to care, they had literally escaped Stalin’s pogroms and other insane events like the Ukrainian Holomodor. It seems like they just wanted to work the land and be left alone, so much so that a bunch of Russian speaking immigrants called the Dukhobors protested the war draft by marching naked in the Kooteney mountains of BC, they also burned down a bank, the “Sons of Freedom”. They had lived in Alberta and Saskatchewan before settling in BC, apparently the winters are easier to be naked in Nelson than Moose Jaw. I’ve met a few Hutterites in Alberta, they’re everywhere and still speak German and mind their own business.

Alberta was quite poor and mostly agricultural up until the 50s when they struck black gold in Leduc and went on to become the richest province in the country, the eastern elite don’t like these hillbillies having nice things so they screw Alberta a lot in politics but are happy to take their resource royalty money. There is an Alberta separatist/independence movement, I don’t know much about it but doubt it’ll ever happen, it would be cool if it did though.

I won’t get into the whole Trudeau hate thing in Alberta but I know guys from Ontario who tell people that they’re from Manitoba just to avoid conflict at work. Albertans are often very resentful about their status in the country and rightly so, Canadians look down on blue collar folks who drive $80,000 pick ups and don’t want the government to dictate their lives. For that they’re portrayed as racist red necks by Toronto soy boy columnists.

It’s kinda like when I moved from Edmonton to Victoria and had to change my cell number from 780 to 250 because the chicks weren’t getting back to me, there’s some funny regionalism in this country.
No way I can follow that up! Beautiful and concise history right there, should be teaching that in schools.

Can someone explain Alberta to me? It keeps getting referenced as the only sane place in Canada, but it seems like there is even more Covid quackery coming out of there than even the worst blue states. I haven't heard much about BC at all, is it just a matter of Alberta not being as nuts as other provinces?

Even Alberta would most likely be a 'blue' state if it was ever granted statehood. People seem to talk like the Democrats would never allow separation as it would add a few more votes for the GOP. But I kind of doubt it would. Travelling a lot between Alberta and Montana really puts it into perspective. Alberta is Canadian 'conservative' which mostly means talking tough behind closed doors, but still going out of their way to go with 'don't look mean' crowd.

canuckj

Woodpecker
Other Christian
No way I can follow that up! Beautiful and concise history right there, should be teaching that in schools.

Even Alberta would most likely be a 'blue' state if it was ever granted statehood. People seem to talk like the Democrats would never allow separation as it would add a few more votes for the GOP. But I kind of doubt it would. Travelling a lot between Alberta and Montana really puts it into perspective. Alberta is Canadian 'conservative' which mostly means talking tough behind closed doors, but still going out of their way to go with 'don't look mean' crowd.
I think that is the most depressing thing. Some of us really do want to live in a red state. I moved to Alberta because everyone told me it was a right-wing place. Sure it is in the small farming towns but Calgary or Edmonton where the bulk of the population lives not so much. Many of the UCP MLAs are just liberals who want to be in government.

thetruewhitenorth

Kingfisher
Orthodox
I think that is the most depressing thing. Some of us really do want to live in a red state. I moved to Alberta because everyone told me it was a right-wing place. Sure it is in the small farming towns but Calgary or Edmonton where the bulk of the population lives not so much. Many of the UCP MLAs are just liberals who want to be in government.
Conservatism has been basically outlawed in Canada, Alberta no exception.

Anyone who would publicly take a stand on a traditional conservative issue risks having his life ruined:

- Criticize lgbtq ideology - possible fines, jail, income loss, smeared reputation, physical harm.
- Criticize immigration - same as above.
- Criticize jews - same as above or worse.
And the list goes on, and on and on.

Thus, one pretty much can only be a **fiscal** conservative without facing much negative consequences.

That what, in my opinion, most of Alberta's conservatism boils down to "let us keep our hard earned money Ottawa!". Most of the Alberta "conservatives" are classical liberals, not more than that. They want to be left alone to pursue their oftentimes hedonistic lifestyles.

canuckj

Woodpecker
Other Christian

Anyone who would publicly take a stand on a traditional conservative issue risks having his life ruined:

- Criticize lgbtq ideology - possible fines, jail, income loss, smeared reputation, physical harm.

Thus, one pretty much can only be a **fiscal** conservative without facing much negative consequences.

That what, in my opinion, most of Alberta's conservatism boils down to "let us keep our hard earned money Ottawa!". Most of the Alberta "conservatives" are classical liberals, not more than that. They want to be left alone to pursue their oftentimes hedonistic lifestyles.
I believe you shared on another thread that you are from Eastern Europe and I like your insights into the Canadian character. For context my ancestors have been in the country since the 1700s. I agree with you that "conservatism" in Alberta is basically "leave me alone" ideology mixed with support for oil and gas. That said we totally lost the cultural war in North America and that pretty much is all we can hope for. My philosophy is we should be free to associate with who we want, say and print what we want, own the firearms we want, raise our kids how we want, etc. We should be allowed to have a right wing trad Christian area and if hippie types want to do the same they can. Of course I want to ban abortion, see pedophiles executed, and see a strong trad country but we can't do this without changing the culture. Since the liberals won the culture war that has to be reversed first.

Laner

Crow
Protestant
Gold Member

Yessir. The irony is that the 'leave us alone' type conservatism just means that school boards stacked with insane leftists are just met with shrugged shoulders and, "yeah, that seems like its a problem" but is not met with action, as the action is what would make them a pariah.

thetruewhitenorth

Kingfisher
Orthodox
I believe you shared on another thread that you are from Eastern Europe and I like your insights into the Canadian character. For context my ancestors have been in the country since the 1700s. I agree with you that "conservatism" in Alberta is basically "leave me alone" ideology mixed with support for oil and gas. That said we totally lost the cultural war in North America and that pretty much is all we can hope for. My philosophy is we should be free to associate with who we want, say and print what we want, own the firearms we want, raise our kids how we want, etc. We should be allowed to have a right wing trad Christian area and if hippie types want to do the same they can. Of course I want to ban abortion, see pedophiles executed, and see a strong trad country but we can't do this without changing the culture. Since the liberals won the culture war that has to be reversed first.

It is a difficult question what framework of society is best. What you described (live and let live), could be great. But what if you live by that principle, and many others dont?

Me, being Russian, I pondered a lot about what happened to the Russian Empire. It actually still makes me sad thinking about it.

How could a country so deeply steeped in Christianity turn upside down so fast? Yes, the usual suspects orchestrated the coup, but so many Slavs embraced that godless regime and joined in with the Devil in that bloody bolshevik trance like revolt against their own people.

It made me realize that whatever society we'd try to create on Earth, essentially it is destined to crumble due to our fallen nature as humans.

I would like to live under an openly Christian government. Kind of like there's an "Islamic Republic of Iran". I would like to live in a "Christian Republic of Canada" or "Christian Russian Federation".

But these are just fantasies. Reality is most of us are broken to the core and we want to be left alone wallowing in filth of our passions.

canuckj

Woodpecker
Other Christian
It is a difficult question what framework of society is best. What you described (live and let live), could be great. But what if you live by that principle, and many others dont?

Me, being Russian, I pondered a lot about what happened to the Russian Empire. It actually still makes me sad thinking about it.

How could a country so deeply steeped in Christianity turn upside down so fast? Yes, the usual suspects orchestrated the coup, but so many Slavs embraced that godless regime and joined in with the Devil in that bloody bolshevik trance like revolt against their own people.

It made me realize that whatever society we'd try to create on Earth, essentially it is destined to crumble due to our fallen nature as humans.

I would like to live under an openly Christian government. Kind of like there's an "Islamic Republic of Iran". I would like to live in a "Christian Republic of Canada" or "Christian Russian Federation".

But these are just fantasies. Reality is most of us are broken to the core and we want to be left alone wallowing in filth of our passions.
How is Russia compared to Canada for religious devoutness of the people and personal morality? I would guess maybe 15% or so of Canadians are serious about their Christian faith.

thetruewhitenorth

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Yessir. The irony is that the 'leave us alone' type conservatism just means that school boards stacked with insane leftists are just met with shrugged shoulders and, "yeah, that seems like its a problem" but is not met with action, as the action is what would make them a pariah.
Most of us have a lot to lose, especially those with kids.

But then, when and where life was amazing? My understanding, if we speak about US and Canada, say in the 60s, lots of people were working their butts off to provide for their families, and many had to go to war.

I wasnt here, but I guess 80s and the 90s seemed like a good stretch if one was lucky enough to be in North America.

Right now, it is almost peak comfort still, especially comparing to most of the world.

I dont know what needs to happen for people to wake up. But one think I do know for sure, without Christ awakening is not possible.

thetruewhitenorth

Kingfisher
Orthodox
How is Russia compared to Canada for religious devoutness of the people and personal morality? I would guess maybe 15% or so of Canadians are serious about their Christian faith.
I dont really know as I havent lived there in a long time and when I did I was too busy being a shy and traumatized kid.

I'd say more and more people are probably succumbing to the same lifestyles as in the West.

TooFineAPoint

Ostrich
Protestant

Yep, Scotian got the essentials for sure. Only thing I would add is that along with the EEs came Scandis. Alberta is the descendants of Eastern European and Scandinavian settlers (not pioneers), and then finally of Mormons.

Interesting thing about these people is that while they survived as cowboys, their Christian roots made them something of peasant philosophers. It's not apparent as much these days (especially because so many others came to work in the trades when they were booming), but even in the ugliest small towns in Alberta you can still find people older than 50 who can carry on an intelligent conversation on a deep and wise level (usually with Biblical foundations) who had very little formal schooling.

Farmers and roughnecks in Alberta (historically) were not meatheads.

The thing about 'Berta is that it is completely lacking in sophisticated civilizational beauty; the kind you say "wow, man has really done well with the tools his creator gave him". With ONE exception -- the Grand Railroad Resorts of Banff and Lake Louise (and the Lake Louise tea houses). And those were basically done by Eastern Scotchmen hell bent on getting to the coast.

We have tons of rugged natural beauty but nothing where Man put his stamp on things.

tikkasakko

Sparrow
Orthodox Catechumen
My fathers side of my family has been here since the 1750's. At what point do we become natives? When does this land become ours. When can we hunt, fish and get land rights?

canuckj

Woodpecker
Other Christian
My fathers side of my family has been here since the 1750's. At what point do we become natives? When does this land become ours. When can we hunt, fish and get land rights?
You could always leave it ambiguous and say things like hunting and gathering are a part of your traditional indigenous heritage and care for the land. Also great to say that you don't want to discuss your native heritage as you don't want any special privileges. :)

Aboulia

Kingfisher
Orthodox
I agree with you that "conservatism" in Alberta is basically "leave me alone" ideology mixed with support for oil and gas.

It might be Canadian conservatism in a nutshell. That's what I was raised with in Ontario, "Leave me alone, but all my doors are unlocked if you really need something". Perhaps that's why we've fallen so fast, we've been so concerned with leaving each other alone that we've left the door open to tyrannical overreach by godless institutions.

Ingratitude, we're ungrateful for what we have, everything decays from lack of attention, and since we're limited beings, we don't appreciate or understand fully what it takes to hold society together. God doesn't intend society to crumble, it would continue indefinitely, as long as it held God at the center, but the disciples are sleeping, instead of praying and watching.

tikkasakko

Sparrow
Orthodox Catechumen
You could always leave it ambiguous and say things like hunting and gathering are a part of your traditional indigenous heritage and care for the land. Also great to say that you don't want to discuss your native heritage as you don't want any special privileges. :)
When the shelves are empty hunting and fishing "rights" will not matter anyway. I have deer and moose walk right by my house. I'll be fine. The folks in the city who's compliance allows all of this madness to continue will not last long. They will beg for their government kibble.

Laner

Crow
Protestant
Gold Member
Yep, Scotian got the essentials for sure. Only thing I would add is that along with the EEs came Scandis. Alberta is the descendants of Eastern European and Scandinavian settlers (not pioneers), and then finally of Mormons.

Interesting thing about these people is that while they survived as cowboys, their Christian roots made them something of peasant philosophers. It's not apparent as much these days (especially because so many others came to work in the trades when they were booming), but even in the ugliest small towns in Alberta you can still find people older than 50 who can carry on an intelligent conversation on a deep and wise level (usually with Biblical foundations) who had very little formal schooling.

Farmers and roughnecks in Alberta (historically) were not meatheads.

The thing about 'Berta is that it is completely lacking in sophisticated civilizational beauty; the kind you say "wow, man has really done well with the tools his creator gave him". With ONE exception -- the Grand Railroad Resorts of Banff and Lake Louise (and the Lake Louise tea houses). And those were basically done by Eastern Scotchmen hell bent on getting to the coast.

We have tons of rugged natural beauty but nothing where Man put his stamp on things.

The CP railroad buildings are absolutely pinnacle Canadian achievements. With that I will add lodge construction from the 50's to the early 80's. Jasper still has some of that and its about as solid and beautiful as it gets. All the materials were from within walking distance and the craftsmanship is masterful. I tell everyone I know they need to stay in one of these lodges in the winter, wander around til dusk and then come in from the snow and sit by the crackling fire with a rye whisky and a woman in a thick wool sweater. You quickly realize that 1000sqft of home is all you would ever need. The other lodges are all perched just close enough, yet far enough away. You can smell their smoke but that is about it.

Most of us have a lot to lose, especially those with kids.

But then, when and where life was amazing? My understanding, if we speak about US and Canada, say in the 60s, lots of people were working their butts off to provide for their families, and many had to go to war.

I wasnt here, but I guess 80s and the 90s seemed like a good stretch if one was lucky enough to be in North America.

Right now, it is almost peak comfort still, especially comparing to most of the world.

I dont know what needs to happen for people to wake up. But one think I do know for sure, without Christ awakening is not possible.

I grew up in Alberta in the 80s and 90s. It was indeed a surreal experience. My mom even gets a little emotional when she has to admit that her grandkids were born past the peak. I remind her that at least she got to raise a family during the best years of the west, where things were so good that heads buried in the sand still allowed good communities to flourish. But that apathy is why places like here and Australia are so hurting. We ignored politics and allowed the corrupt to weasel in.