Are you on the carnivore diet?

• *grunts in the affirmative*

Votes: 46 64.8%
  • No, I am gey.

Votes: 25 35.2%

• Total voters

Peacock
Gold Member
Steak is easy to do at home, even if you're into elaborate sauces and preparations. Not only do you get hit with a huge premium for steak at restaurants, but you also pay through the nose for wine. I like to eat out for stuff I can't do at home, like dim sum, curries or other ethnic fare.

porscheguy

Ostrich
As far as eating out goes, my local Chinese buffet has all you can eat prime rib on the steam table. Another option is Brazilian like fogo de chao.

Here’s the other thing. I eat choice or prime grade ribeye 4-5 nights a week. I cook them sous vide and sear on my charcoal grill at 1000 degrees. What’s the treat in me going to a restaurant? So I can pay 3X as much for a steak that’s probably not as good as I can make myself? If a restaurant doesn’t have a basic steak on the menu, I don’t eat there. Obviously there are what I call critical exceptions. Big family dinner, work meeting, etc. you just make it work. Once ketosis becomes the norm, you can jump back in pretty quick.

TBH, any woman I date at this point will need to be onboard with this. I wouldn’t date a vegan. I doubt a vegan would be interested In me. But the real reason is that I don’t really get sick anymore. I don’t have off days. So I’m not inclined to have much patience for people who get sick and have off days because they eat too much inflammatory garbage.

The Wire

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Diocletian said:
Not sure what country you're located in, but at least in the US Kroger's chains often have chicken livers in the poultry case. You might also check out your local Hispanic/Asian/Middle Eastern/etc. markets, those types of places often have organ meats.

Ideally I am looking for a grass finished beef liver but I don't want to have to go through the trouble of placing special order with local farmers and then making special trips for them. It would just be a hell of a lot of work for that.

The Resilient

Ostrich
Orthodox
porscheguy said:
When I started on 12/1 I weighed 195lbs. 5 weeks later I’m at 183/184.

Ive considered this diet as well...but the weight loss stuff is DEFINITELY NOT what I'm after. I'm trying to make gains in weight (healthily) I just hit hard roadblock after roadblock with my current stomach situation (25% after accident 15 years ago)

I do feel good although when I've eaten a lean hamburger with bacon and mustard on whole wheat.

FilipSRB

Woodpecker
Orthodox
Although it is not advisable to count calories on carnivore diet, the general ratio of fat to protein calories is important. Stefansson and Paleomedicina advise this diet to actually be a high fat diet with around 80%+ of caloric intake coming from fat. This can be a bit of an issue at the start as most people's digestive tracts are not used to this amount of animal fat in their diet, but it gets better over time. Also, the meat in general is not as high fat as it was 100+years ago, so it can be harder to source so much fat calories if you just have access to leaner meat and you may be required to add bone marrow or suet/tallow. So if somebody is having trouble with low energy or with keeping the weight on this way of eating, they are probably simply not eating enough (fat).

kel

Ostrich
I've thought about doing strict keto/carnivore when I'm cutting (which I will be soon), but indeed keeping the fat that high and protein low seems like a challenge. Lots of eggs, I guess. Even the fattiest cut of meat doesn't seem to fit. I like cream, which is high fat, and butter even more so, but I don't think I'm getting enough butter in my diet to be a meaningful source of calories.

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
I've discovered that being on carnivore while suffering a head cold is somewhat suckful because bread was a mainstay for sucking up mucus that built up in my stomach (yes, a lovely picture, I'm aware).

My shrunken stomach plus a lack of bread products meant that I was reduced to vomiting several times a day to expel the products of my rear-nose drip (yes, a lovely picture, I'm aware).

On the upside I beat the virus in record time. I also realised that you really have to have strong soup-game to get through something like that on the carnivore diet short of simply fasting through the whole ordeal. I was not inclined to eat any solid meats during the time I was infected and it was only after I found some soup in a can at the back of the cupboard the I was able to get some decent nutrition into my guts.

Elmore

Kingfisher
Obsessing about the minutiae of diet is homosexual.

That said, eating only animal flesh, isn't homosexual.

Which leaves me feeling confused & unsure about this carnivore business.

flanders

Robin
FullThrottleTX said:
flanders said:
You go to a place that serves steak and tell the waitstaff not to cook it in vegetable oil, substitute sides for bacon, and if steak isn't an option then eggs and bacon or bunless burgers *(omelets sometimes have pancake batter mixed in and everything egg is fried in vegetable oil but that's all one can do unfortunately). Keto and Atkins have been around a long while and most restaurants are aware of a low carb diet.

I don't think it's going to work for most situations. Steak is usually the priciest thing on the menu and if we go to a more casual joint, it may not be an option at all. I cringe when people make elaborate substitutions at restaurants...

Then just eat a large steak or pile of ground beef before you leave the house, go to the restaurant, and order whatever cheap item has the most meat and the least carbs in it. Bacon double cheeseburger, give away the sides. That's maybe $12 at most restaurants.

Or just go to the restaurant, say you ate earlier, hang out, and have a diet soda. Women do that sort of thing all the time. People pretend to be concerned about it but nobody cares.

Try field testing any of my suggestions and see if it works for yourself if you're interested in reaping the rewards of zero carb without becoming a social pariah. I do any/all of the above in restaurants on a regular basis and have had no issues. If you go to your regular haunts and tip 15% literally nobody cares. You're just the guy who avoids bread and fries.

VNvet

Kingfisher
Elmore said:
Obsessing about the minutiae of diet is homosexual.

That said, eating only animal flesh, isn't homosexual.

Which leaves me feeling confused & unsure about this carnivore business.

I did an almost carnivore diet for about a week. Easiest shopping I've ever done. This is what I bought:

Steak, chicken liver, raw milk, and eggs.

I need some carbs to function, but it's an easy diet since you basically eat the same thing every day. Definitely not homosexual.

flanders said:
Try field testing any of my suggestions and see if it works for yourself if you're interested in reaping the rewards of zero carb without becoming a social pariah. I do any/all of the above in restaurants on a regular basis and have had no issues. If you go to your regular haunts and tip 15% literally nobody cares. You're just the guy who avoids bread and fries.

Yeah, no one cares. I worked in the service industry for a few years - we don't care unless you're rude to us. We have so much stuff to do that we don't have time to care about you only getting water or ordering a burger with no buns.

Most waiters know about the low carb diet anyway. You're definitely not the first customer that has ordered a burger with no buns. Or only ordered a water.

Lone Wolf

Sparrow
Orthodox
I tried raw beef liver (quick sear outside) and I still can't stand it (more slimy, less metalic). Mixinng liver with ground beef to make meatballs makes it palatable.

The biggest concern about eating raw meat is parasites, which is why you should not eat chicken or pork rare. Some parasites are killed with freezing, but most bacterial contamination will survive years of freezing. Since bacterial contamination of raw meats are on the outside, you can reduce the risk by quickly searing them.

Moving forward though, considering that every cattle goes through the same processing houses, I would not eat anything raw, except for seafood. There are many cases of food poisoning from eating raw beef. Besides, we've discovered fire 1.5 million years ago, there's evidence that cooked food increase nutrition availability.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukhoe

Iconoclast007

Woodpecker
I feel amazing eating raw beef liver!

Its worth the perceived risk. I try to eat it fresh to mitigate any potential contamination.

The more i eat it, the more i crave it.

Iconoclast007 said:
I have found raw beef liver becoming addictive and sweeter and sweeter each time i eat it.

I highly suggest raw beef liver.

I eat about 1/2 a kilo per week.

That's a lot. I just a few bits of raw beef liver. The interesting thing about beef is that in most of the countries of the world beef is edible without risk in raw form. Beef tartar is just applied to certain parts of beef, but turns out that you can eat almost anything.

Though it's true that liver, then kidney or bone marrow can be more tricky as more toxins accumulate, so the grass-fed free-range beef is safe while the other one not so much. But compared to chicken or pork, then beef is exceedingly safe in raw form.

They do eat beef, horse and other meats raw in some countries. I tested out lower quality beef raw, but wouldn't rcommend it - you can feel that the body needs more time to digest. Even experimented with a bit of raw chicken which is passable. Pork is where you have to draw the line - organic or not does not matter.

Oh - and one way to limit the amount of potential parasites is to simple freeze the beef liver, then eat it raw after defrosting. The taste in this case doesn't matter much. An easy way for amateur sushi cooks is to simply freeze a fish - that way you are certain to have safe raw fish.

Peacock
Gold Member
No point in eating beef raw, you can have a steak cooked very rare, mostly raw on the inside, still getting any benefits from raw meat, while getting the great taste of caramelized meat on the outside. This also kills off most bacteria.

Chicken liver tastes better than beef liver, it's great in salad with frisée lettuce and lardons (pan-fried diced pork belly, or thick bacon). You just sear the livers for half a minute keeping them pink inside, add diced shallots and deglaze with raspberry, sherry or red wine vinegar, serve over frisée (curly) lettuce with a basic vinaigrette, done in 15-20 min:

[img=600x300]https://cac.img.pmdstatic.net/fit/h...center/salade-de-foies-de-volaille.jpeg[/img]

Lone Wolf

Sparrow
Orthodox
whitewashedblackguy said:
Lone Wolf said:
I tried raw beef liver (quick sear outside) and I still can't stand it (more slimy, less metalic). Mixinng liver with ground beef to make meatballs makes it palatable.

Is it grassfed or conventional?

organic beef, pretty sure not grassfed.

Also, toxins accumulate in the fats, not so much organ meats.

Elmore

Kingfisher
Iconoclast007 said:
I have found raw beef liver becoming addictive and sweeter and sweeter each time i eat it.

I highly suggest raw beef liver.

I eat about 1/2 a kilo per week.

Eating raw meat?

What could possibly go wrong...

kel

Ostrich
Elmore said:
Eating raw meat?

What could possibly go wrong...

It's really not that dangerous. I wouldn't do it with ground chuck from the supermarket, but I've done it with a nice slab from the butcher. If you're paranoid, cut off the outside and cook that and just use the inside that hasn't been exposed to the world.

That said, I don't necessarily believe raw meat is preferable, health wise, to cooked. If anything I'd be inclined to believe the opposite. Who knows with liver, though.