The Catholic Church thread

What is CCD?
The Confraternity of Christian Doctrine was an association established in 1562 in Rome for the purpose of providing religious education. In its more modern usage, CCD is the religious teaching program of the Catholic Church. These classes are taught to school age children to learn the basic doctrines of their faith.

I’m currently going through RCIA and highly recommend it to anyone curious about Catholicism. Of course it varies by parish, but you can usually go to introductory sessions to check it out before signing up.
That's wonderful to read. I am still new to this forum. Is there a way to find forum members to meet or connect with outside the forum? I am Catholic, live in northern New Jersey,
The Catholic Church is the most powerful, most insidious conspiracy in the modern world today. At one point [[[they]]] controlled all of Europe with corruption and greed unparalleled in history. [[[They]]] have their tentacles everywhere. Priest abuse of children is just one tiny hint of what's really going on. They used to be more conservative and now just being shown as part of the globohomo communist agenda.

My ancestors, the English and Scandinavians, were the first to throw off the yolk of Cathlocism and point out it's descent into sin. Here in the USA Cathlocism has always been frowned upon by the Prostestant majority. Many nations, like Australia and Bolivia, are still trapped in bondage.

Most Catholics nonetheless are great people who love God.
I wonder if you are confusing deliberate abuse of power and lack of loyalty to sound doctrines with the essence of the religion. I encourage you to consider an objective shortcoming of the Protestant reformation or revolt, which did philosophically lead us to the calamities of today and the 20th century, with this video: .

Mr Gibbs

Robin
So, over all im new in my faith. When I converted it was a long and arduous journey as per usual with guys disillusioned by the world. But when I started to pray and go to church I didn't know where to begin so the obvious first step was non denominational and to be honest I felt incredibly close to God and truly felt my soul healing. Believe it or not that was when I was living in LA, I met quite possibly the most beautiful Christian girl you could think of (which I screwed up but still), met a lot of friends, the people were open and inviting and felt truly welcome and looked forward to Church attendance every week. This was all at one particular Church though, I had bounced around trying to see what it was all about and was either lucky or had some divine intervention.

However, after the lockdowns I moved home to the midwest. During this time I felt like I wanted more, and I was tired of hearing secular thoughts and comparisons in non denominational Church. Comparing faith to Star Wars/MCU or talking about monetary gains (some Catholic Churches ive attended have done this) It seemed more like a motivational seminar with a few versus thrown in here and there. Always avoiding the more controversial parts of the Bible. By this time I was pretty much a full blown racial nationalist and of course I had questions out of my a** about race and Christianity. Also, whenever I hear "racism this racism that" my brain shuts off or I start going into an internal dialogue about hidden motivations or possibly debating said speaker "do you know the black on white crime stats?, how did Christianity go from repelling islamic Jihad and being the justification for segregation to if you think whites should not go extinct you are fundamentally evil" etc etc I was hearing this more often than not at non denominational Churches. I got fairly disillusioned and really wanted to explore the depth of Christianity.

My mothers side of my family is Catholic and I was baptized Catholic when I was a kid so that seemed like a bit of a no brainer. I started to attend Catholic church midway through the year. At the risk of self doxxing I will say this... for the many many faults of Detroit, the Catholic Churches are something to behold inside and out, when they were built you know the architects were trying with all there God given thought to reach something outside the physical real.

Anyway i've been attending Catholic Church and im starting to feel disillusioned again, instead of feeling close to God it feels like I have a list of chores I have to do. I know I may be coming at this the wrong way but thats why im posting this. So im wondering if any one else feels this way and may have some guidance. Also if the Catholic doctrine allows for fraternization with Protestants like at a Bible study and just general advice for a newer Christian who doesn't want to lose the faith but is unsure of where to go with it.

Protestantism just seems like abstract moralism cloaked in Christ but they have a stronger sense of community, are a bit more outgoing and in my personal experience can be extremely devout Christians. Catholicism seems like chores and are a bit more anti social, but is a foundational and highly culturally rich approach to walking with Christ. Idk if im being an entitled millennial here but im not sure how I should change my thoughts on this. I will pray but some brotherly love is always welcomed

There are two churches in the Detroit area I would recommend. You should organise a meeting with the priests and attend a Sunday Mass to meet the local parish.

Church 1: https://fsspx.today/chapel/mi-livonia/info/

Church 2: https://fsspx.today/chapel/mi-armada/info/

Both are in and around Detroit. I wish you good luck.

God bless
So, over all im new in my faith. When I converted it was a long and arduous journey as per usual with guys disillusioned by the world. But when I started to pray and go to church I didn't know where to begin so the obvious first step was non denominational and to be honest I felt incredibly close to God and truly felt my soul healing. Believe it or not that was when I was living in LA, I met quite possibly the most beautiful Christian girl you could think of (which I screwed up but still), met a lot of friends, the people were open and inviting and felt truly welcome and looked forward to Church attendance every week. This was all at one particular Church though, I had bounced around trying to see what it was all about and was either lucky or had some divine intervention.

However, after the lockdowns I moved home to the midwest. During this time I felt like I wanted more, and I was tired of hearing secular thoughts and comparisons in non denominational Church. Comparing faith to Star Wars/MCU or talking about monetary gains (some Catholic Churches ive attended have done this) It seemed more like a motivational seminar with a few versus thrown in here and there. Always avoiding the more controversial parts of the Bible. By this time I was pretty much a full blown racial nationalist and of course I had questions out of my a** about race and Christianity. Also, whenever I hear "racism this racism that" my brain shuts off or I start going into an internal dialogue about hidden motivations or possibly debating said speaker "do you know the black on white crime stats?, how did Christianity go from repelling islamic Jihad and being the justification for segregation to if you think whites should not go extinct you are fundamentally evil" etc etc I was hearing this more often than not at non denominational Churches. I got fairly disillusioned and really wanted to explore the depth of Christianity.

My mothers side of my family is Catholic and I was baptized Catholic when I was a kid so that seemed like a bit of a no brainer. I started to attend Catholic church midway through the year. At the risk of self doxxing I will say this... for the many many faults of Detroit, the Catholic Churches are something to behold inside and out, when they were built you know the architects were trying with all there God given thought to reach something outside the physical real.

Anyway i've been attending Catholic Church and im starting to feel disillusioned again, instead of feeling close to God it feels like I have a list of chores I have to do. I know I may be coming at this the wrong way but thats why im posting this. So im wondering if any one else feels this way and may have some guidance. Also if the Catholic doctrine allows for fraternization with Protestants like at a Bible study and just general advice for a newer Christian who doesn't want to lose the faith but is unsure of where to go with it.

Protestantism just seems like abstract moralism cloaked in Christ but they have a stronger sense of community, are a bit more outgoing and in my personal experience can be extremely devout Christians. Catholicism seems like chores and are a bit more anti social, but is a foundational and highly culturally rich approach to walking with Christ. Idk if im being an entitled millennial here but im not sure how I should change my thoughts on this. I will pray but some brotherly love is always welcome

redbeard

Hummingbird
@Mr Gibbs sounds like there's two issues going on here.

#1:
Protestantism just seems like abstract moralism cloaked in Christ but they have a stronger sense of community, are a bit more outgoing and in my personal experience can be extremely devout Christians. Catholicism seems like chores and are a bit more anti social, but is a foundational and highly culturally rich approach to walking with Christ.
This seems to be differences between the specific churches themselves, as seen from a small sample size. Try to remember that the reason you go to church is not for the community, fun times, or beautiful women. You go to heal your soul and work towards salvation.

#2:
instead of feeling close to God it feels like I have a list of chores I have to do.
I'm not sure which "chores" you're referencing but what I'm going to guess is that either:
a. You're trying to bite off more than you can chew, and need to take a few steps back
b. You've been told *what* to do, but not catechized on *why* we do it

If it's neither of these, than you just need to be patient. You might be dealing with a spiritual dry patch, which is allowing you to be tempted by the idea of returning to protestantism. I get it. From the outside these non denominational churches seem much more fun and loosey-goosey. But that's the problem with protestants - it's often more of a social club, that won't challenge you to become a saint.

And as others will probably mention, start going to a Latin Mass parish.

P.S. Please don't use textspeak on the forum.

Mr Gibbs

Robin
@Mr Gibbs sounds like there's two issues going on here.

#1:

This seems to be differences between the specific churches themselves, as seen from a small sample size. Try to remember that the reason you go to church is not for the community, fun times, or beautiful women. You go to heal your soul and work towards salvation.

#2:

I'm not sure which "chores" you're referencing but what I'm going to guess is that either:
a. You're trying to bite off more than you can chew, and need to take a few steps back
b. You've been told *what* to do, but not catechized on *why* we do it

If it's neither of these, than you just need to be patient. You might be dealing with a spiritual dry patch, which is allowing you to be tempted by the idea of returning to protestantism. I get it. From the outside these non denominational churches seem much more fun and loosey-goosey. But that's the problem with protestants - it's often more of a social club, that won't challenge you to become a saint.

And as others will probably mention, start going to a Latin Mass parish.

P.S. Please don't use textspeak on the forum.
Thank you for the wisdom @redbeard I think I’m letting secular thoughts creep into my head. Pretty sobering advice though and I haven’t been catechized yet. But Im going to keep praying and taking things off my plate until I start to understand the why of it all.

redbeard

Hummingbird
Thank you for the wisdom @redbeard I think I’m letting secular thoughts creep into my head. Pretty sobering advice though and I haven’t been catechized yet. But Im going to keep praying and taking things off my plate until I start to understand the why of it all.
No problem.

What have you done to learn the Catholic faith? Have you taken any initiation class, read any catechism books? That's something that hasn't been covered in this thread.

Hanibal

Irish catholic background here. Last time I was in Ireland - the priest was talking about being "woke". It was as if it was the first time he had heard of it. He was asking audience had anyone heard the term - this is two years ago - and no one had.
The danger with some of the Catholic clergy - is they are so out of touch with reality - they have no ability to understand the mainstream lies - let alone the alternative view. This priest meant well - but you could see he was about to embark on a trip in the wrong direction.

Glaucon

Ostrich
Gold Member
I very highly recommend Ascention presents's Father Mike Schmitz videos: I agree that not knowing why you do things makes you feel like it is a chore.

also C.S Lewis, CSLewisDoodle is good collection of his work:

https://www.youtube.com/c/CSLewisDoodle

Mr Gibbs

Robin
No problem.

What have you done to learn the Catholic faith? Have you taken any initiation class, read any catechism books? That's something that hasn't been covered in this thread.
Not much honestly other than talking with my devout Catholic aunt and watch YouTube videos. I know a bit about the initiation class although I forget what it’s called. Due to the shutdown I’ve had to move from LA back to MI and I’m finally getting settled in, not near Detroit, and there aren’t a lot of Churches around where I’m at. So right now I’ve been attending a few different ones trying to decide where I’d like to stay

redbeard

Hummingbird
Not much honestly other than talking with my devout Catholic aunt and watch YouTube videos. I know a bit about the initiation class although I forget what it’s called. Due to the shutdown I’ve had to move from LA back to MI and I’m finally getting settled in, not near Detroit, and there aren’t a lot of Churches around where I’m at. So right now I’ve been attending a few different ones trying to decide where I’d like to stay
Well, there you go. Seems like some instruction might be helpful. I'd try to look around and find a church that is doing RCIA classes. If you can't find one, try to find a priest you like and just email him that you'd like some help coming back into the church. Were you confirmed?

As far as where to get started, this is the best book for building a foundation: https://www.amazon.com/Saint-Joseph-Baltimore-Catechism-Catecisms/dp/0899422411

Mr Gibbs

Robin
Well, there you go. Seems like some instruction might be helpful. I'd try to look around and find a church that is doing RCIA classes. If you can't find one, try to find a priest you like and just email him that you'd like some help coming back into the church. Were you confirmed?

As far as where to get started, this is the best book for building a foundation: https://www.amazon.com/Saint-Joseph-Baltimore-Catechism-Catecisms/dp/0899422411
Thank you for this will check it out and purchase when I get the chance!
So I have a question because there are temptations to other sects of Christianity, namely non-denominational, does that de legitimize it in anyway in the eyes of God or as something to be taken seriously?

May be a rather harsh way of framing it but these are the kinds of questions I’ve been thinking about

redbeard

Hummingbird
Thank you for this will check it out and purchase when I get the chance!
So I have a question because there are temptations to other sects of Christianity, namely non-denominational, does that de legitimize it in anyway in the eyes of God or as something to be taken seriously?

May be a rather harsh way of framing it but these are the kinds of questions I’ve been thinking about
What do you mean "de-legitimize?" Just want to make sure we're on the same page here.

If you're asking if attending non-denominational services is a sin, a traditional priest would say yes. You'll notice in my general confession post that most examination of consciences ask some variation of, "Have I taken part in any non-Catholic worship?" or "Have I knowingly read any heretical, blasphemous or anti-Catholic literature?"

Because this is a sin, it's possible to be tempted towards it just like lust, gluttony, etc.

If you're asking if attending non-denominational services is a sin, a traditional priest would say yes. You'll notice in my general confession post that most examination of consciences ask some variation of, "Have I taken part in any non-Catholic worship?" or "Have I knowingly read any heretical, blasphemous or anti-Catholic literature?"

This is something I was also wondering about. Would there be a difference between attendance and participation? I did quick search online and I didn't find much beyond the general idea that its fine if as long as you aren't substituting non-Catholic services for Catholic ones; taking Communion in a denomination without valid sacraments is obviously a no-go, but the impression I get is that being neighborly is acceptable.