The Catholic Church thread

AngryBird

Pigeon
Hi Everyone,

I had a bit of a tragedy the other day. Not a big one, but enough to cause me to be awake in the middle of the night typing this. And there were some aspects of the tragedy that were a bit 'Coincidental'

The best way to describe it would be as Scott Adams says 'The Simulation' likes to f* with you. Even my spouse said, 'This is weird now.'

I started attending Latin Mass regularly. Has anyone experienced weird stuff after doing so?

Callixtus

Robin
Hi Everyone,

I had a bit of a tragedy the other day. Not a big one, but enough to cause me to be awake in the middle of the night typing this. And there were some aspects of the tragedy that were a bit 'Coincidental'

The best way to describe it would be as Scott Adams says 'The Simulation' likes to f* with you. Even my spouse said, 'This is weird now.'

I started attending Latin Mass regularly. Has anyone experienced weird stuff after doing so?

I've experienced what I would call "spiritual attack" frequently over the last year and a half since coming back to the Catholic Church. There are forces invested in keeping you lost and they get upset when you choose to disobey them and follow Christ instead. I've come to consider it a good thing and a sign of progress. They wouldn't be persecuting you if you weren't doing the right thing. Accept it as penance and an opportunity to reject the devil and choose God. Lately they've been plaguing me with disgustingly impure dreams in an attempt to get me to fall.

Pray to God, pray the Rosary, pray to St Michael the Archangel. Ask for the wisdom to see through the deception, the strength to overcome adversity, the courage to face whatever trials you must, and for deliverance from any and all evil forces may be afflicting you and those around you.

20201231_084747.jpg

Hi Everyone,

Hello AngryBird,

I can completely relate to this. Since I started to get invested in my Catholic faith and walking in the footsteps of Christ there has been temptation and attack, primairly in the nighttime. But also 'dark nights of the soul'.
I try to have the Bible near me and a small holy cross or Rosary.

I am reading through 'How to live a holy life' and there is a chapter in it that is focused on what to do in the night time (when you can not catch your peacefull and restfull sleep). I will try to read it today and come back to this post. Tomorrow I will go to confession and I hope to discuss this topic with the priest there.

Kind regards and God bless brother.

Nigerian Catholic Bishop Moses Chikwe has been released after 5 days in captivity. Please keep the Nigerian Igbo people in your prayers, Igbo are devout Christians and are being persecuted by both the Muslim Fulani government and Boko-Haram. Nigerian Christians are captured and killed on a weekly basis.

Mr Gibbs

Woodpecker
Brothers, please pray for Elliott Hulse.
Sometimes when you're new to something like say an instrument for example and you pick up on it and learn it well enough to become proficient to play with a band, improvise or write music people actually want to listen too and have gone through it at a later age, it seems to me that because you've gone through the process more recently and are a dealing with a more developed brain that is less adept at learning new skills you are more aware of the fundamental hurdles than someone who's been playing said instrument since they were like 10 or what have you. There's a more personal understanding of the hurdles and how to navigate and overcome them and so it's much easier to explain to someone just learning what they will encounter before they even encounter them.

I think it's the same here, Elliot has gone through a conversion with all the logical questions, misunderstandings and fallacies toward the Christian faith as well as half a lifetime spent in an utterly depraved society that purposefully pulls him away from his own salvation. So when he explains these things it's incredibly succinct because it encompasses all the answers to the questions that anyone would have.

Even someone who is of the liberal orthodoxy who has the "you believe there's someone in the sky watching your every move, pffft that's so dumb" mentality would probably succumb to some sort of ethereal and spiritual emotion hearing someone who has overcome those beliefs explain it too them in a way they never thought about.

Seems like feminism infiltrated the ranks of the St.Thomas Christians. So in a country like India, the modernist Christian Indian will be outbred by the pagan hindu or muslim heretic, 10:1.

At my local RC parish (we are most trad in town) a Malankara Oriental Orthodox family goes to weekly mass. I thought it was interesting that an Orthodox Christian attends our mass. Since we dont have any Orthodox churches in my small city, they said this parish was the most traditional and closest to their liturgy. Our priest welcomed our Orthodox kin into our parish no questions asked, and they receive the sacraments just the same as everyone else. I pray this would become the norm between Catholics-Orthodox.

redbeard

Hummingbird
Seems like feminism infiltrated the ranks of the St.Thomas Christians. So in a country like India, the modernist Christian Indian will be outbred by the pagan hindu or muslim heretic, 10:1.

At my local RC parish (we are most trad in town) a Malankara Oriental Orthodox family goes to weekly mass. I thought it was interesting that an Orthodox Christian attends our mass. Since we dont have any Orthodox churches in my small city, they said this parish was the most traditional and closest to their liturgy. Our priest welcomed our Orthodox kin into our parish no questions asked, and they receive the sacraments just the same as everyone else. I pray this would become the norm between Catholics-Orthodox.
Do they pray for the Pope the "same as everyone else?"

Lavabis Me

Sparrow
I've experienced what I would call "spiritual attack" frequently over the last year and a half since coming back to the Catholic Church. There are forces invested in keeping you lost and they get upset when you choose to disobey them and follow Christ instead. I've come to consider it a good thing and a sign of progress. They wouldn't be persecuting you if you weren't doing the right thing. Accept it as penance and an opportunity to reject the devil and choose God. Lately they've been plaguing me with disgustingly impure dreams in an attempt to get me to fall.

Pray to God, pray the Rosary, pray to St Michael the Archangel. Ask for the wisdom to see through the deception, the strength to overcome adversity, the courage to face whatever trials you must, and for deliverance from any and all evil forces may be afflicting you and those around you.
I'm new on this forum and don't have the ability to "Like" on most threads. I wanted to clip this in my post so anyone else perusing gets to read it a second time. Excellent response and sage advice.

One thing that will happen if you (all of us) persist, is that some - not all - temptations you were susceptible to will have the mask of seduction removed from them, and you will see the hideous ugliness of it staring you in the face; the thing you were drawn to will begin to repel you. Frequent confession is indispensable. Take advantage of it, especially if you've found a good confessor.

budoslavic

Owl
Gold Member
06c48d075fe32853.jpeg

Eusebius Erasmus

Woodpecker
EsIHXXcXIAA4-8w

Every. Single. Time.

A good rule-of-thumb, in deciding which Catholics to listen to, is to determine who's friends with Fr. James Martin.

Thus, Bishop Robert Barron and Professor Robert P. George, two famous Catholics, should be ignored.

In the case of George, we find a man who claims to be a conservative Catholic, but is also on the Council of Foreign Relations, and married to a Jew (without her converting to Catholicism -- they had an interdenominational wedding). See here:

Last edited:

kel

Ostrich
Thus, Bishop Robert Barron and Professor Robert P. George, two famous Catholics, should be ignored.
Bishop Barron does have a very good youtube channel. He's obviously a bit pozzed, but relatively speaking I think he's pretty good. I think you should try seeing him as a gateway drug for recovering atheists/skeptics/scientismists - I (as, admittedly, someone who struggles with faith himself but has soured greatly on atheism and scientism) recommend him to others as a friendly, accessible, but principled way of looking at religion, his videos say what I'd like to express regarding the shallowness of the atheist moment.

I'd be happy to recommend someone more based, feel free to make a recommendation, but in my experience there are a few sources like Bishop Barron and then it trails off very quickly into low-energy slogs. I know easily digestible infotainment shouldn't be the (sole) means of outreach, but still, finding someone who says they're interested in exploring Catholicism, or Christianity/religion at large, and saying "Oh, hey, great, here are four inscrutable tomes to pour over and ten hours of reencoded AM radio audio featuring four guys arguing about which kind of incense is the righteous one" just isn't going to work for a lot of people.

Eusebius Erasmus

Woodpecker
Bishop Barron does have a very good youtube channel. He's obviously a bit pozzed, but relatively speaking I think he's pretty good. I think you should try seeing him as a gateway drug for recovering atheists/skeptics/scientismists - I (as, admittedly, someone who struggles with faith himself but has soured greatly on atheism and scientism) recommend him to others as a friendly, accessible, but principled way of looking at religion, his videos say what I'd like to express regarding the shallowness of the atheist moment.

I'd be happy to recommend someone more based, feel free to make a recommendation, but in my experience there are a few sources like Bishop Barron and then it trails off very quickly into low-energy slogs. I know easily digestible infotainment shouldn't be the (sole) means of outreach, but still, finding someone who says they're interested in exploring Catholicism, or Christianity/religion at large, and saying "Oh, hey, great, here are four inscrutable tomes to pour over and ten hours of reencoded AM radio audio featuring four guys arguing about which kind of incense is the righteous one" just isn't going to work for a lot of people.
Barron was fantastic about two or three years ago.

Since then, his Word on Fire Institute has taken off, and everything is about marketing and the Benjamins.

He's always selling a product or service.

Give me the old Bishop Barron, who made interesting movie reviews, over the new one. Any day.

EDIT. I should also add, that when Catholic churches and holy sites were being desecrated by AntiFa and BLM, Barron initially cowered and issued a statement to the effect that political activity is for laypeople. After receiving pushback, he did eventually hold a mass at one targeted holy site, but has stopped short of condemning AntiFa/BLM hooliganism. On the other hand, he was quick to denounce the Capitol incident recently.

kel

Ostrich
Fair enough. The Word on Fire gospels, for what it's worth, is the most beautiful Bible (or, rather, part-of-Bible with commentary) I've seen. I like it. I admit I don't keep up with him really, the videos I forward to others tend to be from ten years ago, little ~15 minute commentaries on the limits of reason, debunking the idea that the Catholic Church was this obscurantist force when half of the scientific knowledge the world takes for granted came from Catholics and research funded by the Church itself, criticizing the atheist axiom "durrr, why bad things happen then? Christians don't wanna talk about that!" when there's quite literally millennia of discussion on that from a Christian perspective and even more going further back from a philosophical (but not materialist) perspective, etc.