The Catholic Church thread

Steiner

Pigeon
My fellow Catholic brothers! I'm looking for some advice to get through these tumultuous times. A little background - before Corona I attended mass every Sunday, alone or with family. Ever since, I have had, like many others, a hard time doing so. I moved to a new town (following work), and I had scoped out the church here (merely the location) and was looking forward to becoming a member. However once these restrictions hit - they shut down in insane ways, with no fight back. At first, mass was completely online. Then it began with some drive-in insanity, being held in the parking lot - Still with no eucharist been distributed - Then (and since) they have moved to a Sunday mass limited to about ~25 people and you must register beforehand. The last time I have been to mass was at my hometown, on Christmas, because I couldn't bear not going. They made us wear masks, had the lectors roaming for anyone out of line. The gospel was defeatist, no hope, no fight burning in the Priests heart! It absolutely sickened me. For the one true faith, which has been through secret masses, martyrs etc. I have been disgusted by the response to completely "give unto Caesar" even as it has kept us from giving unto God what is his.

I ask you men, what have you been doing? Without mass I have felt a part of me left empty, but going back in the present state has not helped. Have you all been attending regularly? Have your parishes responded similarly to mine? I see priests like Fr. Altman, which give me hope, but they are few and far away from myself. My girlfriend is also a staunch Catholic, and she is pining to attend again, even if it means masks, registrations. I pour over my bible regularly, watch homilies, read the great history of our faith, pray the rosary. But without mass it does still feel something is missing.

Eusebius Erasmus

Woodpecker
My fellow Catholic brothers! I'm looking for some advice to get through these tumultuous times. A little background - before Corona I attended mass every Sunday, alone or with family. Ever since, I have had, like many others, a hard time doing so. I moved to a new town (following work), and I had scoped out the church here (merely the location) and was looking forward to becoming a member. However once these restrictions hit - they shut down in insane ways, with no fight back. At first, mass was completely online. Then it began with some drive-in insanity, being held in the parking lot - Still with no eucharist been distributed - Then (and since) they have moved to a Sunday mass limited to about ~25 people and you must register beforehand. The last time I have been to mass was at my hometown, on Christmas, because I couldn't bear not going. They made us wear masks, had the lectors roaming for anyone out of line. The gospel was defeatist, no hope, no fight burning in the Priests heart! It absolutely sickened me. For the one true faith, which has been through secret masses, martyrs etc. I have been disgusted by the response to completely "give unto Caesar" even as it has kept us from giving unto God what is his.

I ask you men, what have you been doing? Without mass I have felt a part of me left empty, but going back in the present state has not helped. Have you all been attending regularly? Have your parishes responded similarly to mine? I see priests like Fr. Altman, which give me hope, but they are few and far away from myself. My girlfriend is also a staunch Catholic, and she is pining to attend again, even if it means masks, registrations. I pour over my bible regularly, watch homilies, read the great history of our faith, pray the rosary. But without mass it does still feel something is missing.
I'm Orthodox, so forgive me if I'm out of line: some of the churches here have responded by increasing their number of weekly services.

This way, everyone can attend who wants to.

Of course, you have to have a priest willing to sacrifice his time in order to do this.

redbeard

Hummingbird

Have you checked out any trad parishes near you? The traditionalist parishes I know are booming right now because most do not give a hoot about coronavirus restrictions. Look for FSSP, ICTKSP, or SSPX.

If they are sadly using signups, you can either do what @Eusebius Erasmus says and go during the week (while still keeping Sunday holy). Or, you can just show up on Sunday unannounced. I'm sure many parishes that have signups are not checking your name against a list at the front door like a nightclub. The signups are essentially "compliance theater."

Lavabis Me

Sparrow

First of all, praise the Lord for putting such a burning desire to attend Mass within you. It is the source and summit of our Faith, not some "nice to have". Pray for the bishops and the priests who have locked you out, or made it so onerous as to be against charity: more so than the secular authorities who will also have to answer to Christ, the clergy, unless they repent of what they've done, have probably damned their souls.

I go to one of the Traditional societies, and they never shut down. They took reasonable precautions during the height of the hysteria and no one in our parish got sick. Now they face the "problem" of having to enlarge the building to accommodate all the new parishioners, and are months ahead of the fund-raising needed. So cheer up. A sea change is occurring as more and more people realize their shepherds are leading them over a cliff; indeed some of the shepherds are realizing it, too. Take comfort in fact that many of your brothers in the Faith are attending Mass, and are praying for people in your shoes.

As to what you can do in your own power, the advice above about looking for a Traditional Mass is sound. Some people are driving 1, 2 or more hours to my Church. You may not be able to do it every week, but maybe once a month?

You can also pray the Propers of the Mass every day (go to the very bottom of the screen and click "Propers"). It takes about 5-10 minutes. You can also pray the Divine Office (a link is on that same page.) Start with Compline or Vespers. It's not the sacrifice of the Mass, but it is a Liturgical practice you can humbly partake in. Offer up in your prayers the pain of being abandoned by your shepherds. And - most importantly - start living the way you know Christ has told us to live, and make acts of reparation. The Mass has been taken from us for a reason: far too many have been blasé about it for far too long. Pray hard and be confident that for a true follower of Christ all of this, in the end, will work for the good of souls.

As Redbeard said I can confirm that trads (I'm in France) don't wear masks and don't enforce parishioners to do it either.

And as Lavabis Me advised, incorporating lauds, vespers and compline in your daily routine will direct your day towards God and will change your overall mindset.

II will add reading The Imitation of Christ if you haven't already read it.
There's no other books I'll keep than this one besides the Bible. Reading this will put things into perspective and you will start to accept your cross if you haven't already did.

Good luck to you and God bless.

Steiner

Pigeon
All, I really appreciate the replies. I am on the hunt for a trad church near me. It looks like the closest is ~4 hours, but only about 1 hour from my hometown. I will make my pilgrimage soon and report back! From what I have read so far it seems to be exactly what I am seeking.

Until then, I will incorporate these prayers and readings as advised. These challenges are what strengthen us all.

Thank you and God Bless!

MRAll134

Kingfisher
I am not a Catholic (a Baptist) but I thought this news story might be interesting to some Catholics:

Archbishop of San Francisco: ‘To Begin With the Obvious: Nancy Pelosi Does Not Speak for the Catholic Church’
Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone of San Francsico issued a statement on Thursday sharply criticizing House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D.-Calif.)—who represents San Francisco—for attacking Catholics who voted for President Donald Trump to advance the pro-life cause of protecting unborn babies from abortion.

“To begin with the obvious: Nancy Pelosi does not speak for the Catholic Church,” said the archbishop.

“She speaks as a high-level important government leader, and as a private citizen,” he said. “And on the question of the equal dignity of human life in the womb, she also speaks in direct contradiction to a fundamental human right that Catholic teaching has consistently championed for 2,000 years.”

“Speaker Pelosi has chosen this week to impugn the motives of millions of Catholics and others for choosing to make voting on the issue of abortion their priority and accuses them of ‘selling out democracy,’” said the archbishop. “This is not the language of unity and healing. She owes these voters an apology.”

The archbishop went on to say that someone who favors abortion—which Pelosi does—cannot be a “Catholic in good conscience.”

“No Catholic in good conscience can favor abortion,” said Archbishop Cordileone.

The archbishop was responding to remarks Pelosi had made on Monday in an appearance on former Sen. Hillary Clinton’s podcast. On that podcast, Pelosi had said it gave her “great grief as a Catholic” that Trump was elected because of his position in opposition to abortion and the support he drew from pro-life voters.

“Now, there is one other element that I have been talking about for a long time that gives me great grief as a Catholic," Pelosi said. "I think that Donald Trump is president because of a woman’s right to choose."

“When he signed that paper saying these are the judges that I will appoint that was the dog whistle to the Evangelicals, to the Catholics, and all the rest: a woman will not have the right to choose,” said Pelosi.

“And, again,” she said, “there’s a great deal of hypocrisy here with many of these people, of course, are not having thirteen children.”

Pelosi went on to say that she has family members who would he her to “soften” her message on abortion.

“As a Catholic, you know, I come from a family that is, would like to see me soften my message on this subject, but they know this is something I am all the way with,” she said. “So, I understand and I respect their point of view—for them. But that doesn’t mean it’s a point of view for someone else.”

Here is the full text of Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone’s statement about Pelosi:

Archbishop Cordileone’s Response to Speaker Pelosi’s Comments About Pro-Life Voters

Most Rev. Salvatore J. Cordileone

January 21, 2021

On Monday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi criticized prolife voters who voted for Donald Trump on the abortion issue, saying their votes cause her “great grief as a Catholic” and accusing them of “being willing to sell the whole democracy down the river for that one issue.”

Most Reverend Salvatore J. Cordileone, Archbishop of San Francisco, issued the following statement in response:

“To begin with the obvious: Nancy Pelosi does not speak for the Catholic Church. She speaks as a high-level important government leader, and as a private citizen. And on the question of the equal dignity of human life in the womb, she also speaks in direct contradiction to a fundamental human right that Catholic teaching has consistently championed for 2,000 years.

“Christians have always understood that the commandment, ‘Thou shall not kill,’ applies to all life, including life in the womb. Around the end of the first century the Letter of Barnabas states: ‘You shall not slay the child by procuring abortion; nor, again, shall you destroy it after it is born’ (#19). One thousand, eight hundred and sixty-five years later, the Second Vatican Council affirmed: ‘Life must be protected with the utmost care from the moment of conception: abortion and infanticide are abominable crimes’ (Gaudium et spes, n. 51).

“Pope Francis continues this unbroken teaching. Addressing participants in the conference, ‘Yes to Life! - Taking Care of the Precious Gift of Life in Its Frailty’ on May 25, 2019, he condemned abortion in the strongest possible terms: ‘is it licit to eliminate a human life to solve a problem? ... It is not licit. Never, never eliminate a human life … to solve a problem. Abortion is never the answer that women and families are looking for.’ And just yesterday (January 20, 2021) Archbishop Gomez, President of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, reiterated the declaration of the U.S. bishops that abortion is for Catholics the ‘preeminent priority.’ In doing so, he acted rightly and collaboratively in his role as USCCB President, and I am grateful to him for doing so.

“Preeminent does not mean ‘only,’ of course. There are certainly many evils we must confront and many goods we must pursue. In his inaugural speech yesterday, President Biden gave a moving call to unity and healing. He offered what I would call a ‘Litany of Compassion’–bringing before the eyes of the nation the suffering of people across a wide spectrum of issues. In my experience, advocates for unborn children also work diligently to be of service in many of these causes as well. Speaker Pelosi has chosen this week to impugn the motives of millions of Catholics and others for choosing to make voting on the issue of abortion their priority and accuses them of ‘selling out democracy.’ This is not the language of unity and healing. She owes these voters an apology.

“I myself will not presume to know what was in the minds of Catholic voters when they voted for the Presidential candidate of their choice, no matter who their preferred candidate was. There are many issues of very grave moral consequence that Catholics must weigh in good conscience when they vote. But one thing is clear: No Catholic in good conscience can favor abortion. ‘Right to choose’ is a smokescreen for perpetuating an entire industry that profits from one of the most heinous evils imaginable. Our land is soaked with the blood of the innocent, and it must stop.

“That is why, as Catholics, we will continue to speak out on behalf of those who have no voice to speak for themselves and reach out to, comfort and support those who are suffering the scars of the abortion experience. We will do so, until our land is finally rid of this despicable evil.”

# # #
Source: https://www.cnsnews.com/index.php/a...francisco-begin-obvious-nancy-pelosi-does-not

Lavabis Me

Sparrow
Archbishop of San Francisco: ‘To Begin With the Obvious: Nancy Pelosi Does Not Speak for the Catholic Church’
There was a time not too long ago when this was the norm for a Catholic prelate. Politicians that called themselves Catholic would be wary of getting on the wrong side of them, because there was Catholic unity.

IMG_0007.jpg

Declaring that political correctness is not worth “one comma in the Apostles’ Creed,” John Cardinal O’Connor triumphantly reviewed a St. Patrick’s Day Parade kept tightly secure from homosexual intruders yesterday on a raucous, rain-drenched day in which more than 200 gay and lesbian protesters were arrested in sit-ins on Fifth Avenue.”

“Avowing love and prayers for homosexuals, the Cardinal (O’Connor) warned that he “could never even be perceived as compromising Catholic teaching” by entertaining their admission as an identifiable group in the city’s 232d parade up Manhattan’s showcase avenue in honor of St. Patrick.” The New York Times March 18, 1993

Lavabis Me

Sparrow
Based Traditional Catholic Bishop Dolan gives political sermon called The Emperor's New Clothes http://www.sgg.org/2021/01/24/the-emperors-new-clothes/
Great sermon, well worth the 15 minutes. Thanks for posting. SSG has his sermon archive online; I'll be raiding it soon for more.

To anyone who saw "Dolan" and thought this was the unequivocally "non-based" Archbishop Timothy Cardinal Dolan, this is Trad Cardinal Daniel Dolan.

Volador26

Pigeon

Steiner, here’s wishing you much success on your journey to live our faith and attend Mass...hopefully you have found the right place to worship freely! In my current neck of the woods, even the SSPX church is enforcing masks. I went to a Spanish speaking Mass for a while (hoping that perhaps minorities would be more based) until a larger female usher threatened to call the police on me when I politely informed her I would not wear a mask. The church I attend now allows me to go sans muzzle, but 1) it always disheartens me to see everyone else dutifully wearing mask (even small children!) and 2) I realize that all it takes is one usher and the threat of police involvement to get me to back down. Perhaps I am too concerned with keeping my government job, alas.

Whitepill moment: I don’t want to speak for anyone else, but I have to admit until the WuFlu I didn’t realize how precious Mass truly is. Perhaps that is part of the silver lining here: Catholics and other Christians waking up and realizing that we can never trust a mere human state (even, sad to say, my country the US) to protect our duty to worship Christ. We must stay ever vigilant.
Anyways, looking forward to hearing about your experience (and everyone else’s) regarding finding a House of God in these oppressive times.

This is an absolutely EXCELLENT spiritual talk by a very traditional and holy Catholic priest and exorcist, Fr. Ripperger. Everyone on the Roosh forum needs to hear this, especially the Catholics who love tradition. It's a really important analysis on being negative and what it does to us psychologically and spiritually. A must watch!!!

DeFide

Robin
Former Child Actor Bug Hall Breaks Silence On His Arrest, Hollywood Child Abuse, and the Catholic Church—
He played Alfalfa in the Little Rascals. Today he is practicing Traditional Catholic. He opens up about the sexual abuse he experienced as a child actor, rampant pedophilia in Hollywood, his struggles with addiction, and how converting to the Catholic faith changed his life.

Beautiful story!

This could probably go in the Public Figures Section if anyone wants to put it there.

Last edited:

DeFide

Robin
Based Traditional Catholic Bishop Dolan gives political sermon called The Emperor's New Clothes http://www.sgg.org/2021/01/24/the-emperors-new-clothes/
Thanks! Bishop Dolan is great! He’s been calling out this hoax from day one. Almost immediately His Excellency saw the pandemic for what it is—a globalist communist takeover—even before most of us had woken up to it. He’s a true shepherd. He was even mocking the “slave masks” before they started making them mandatory. Lol. So grateful there are true Catholic clergy like Bp. Dolan at places like SGG who still hold fast to the true Roman Catholic religion.

I was skimming this thread and came across your post which has really spoken to me, and is very similar to my situation. I was attending local Novus Ordo Masses in area for all of 2019, then after New Year's I started attending a Traditional Latin Mass offered by my diocese from January 2020 up until Ash Wednesday of last year. As you know, the hammer dropped, Lent, Holy Week, and Easter were all cancelled. The day celebrating Christ's resurrection, a Holy Day of Obligation, there were no public masses being offered. I was offended, discouraged, and overall confused. My wife and I were supposed to get married in a local parish, yet the Priest told us that only our parents could attend a service that would be limited to 10 minutes tops. I came across a few fellows (associated with Roosh) who introduced me to Sedevacantism and the Novus Ordo Watch website. I looked in the Sedevacantist movement, and while I have seen the grim state of affairs of the Catholic Church at this time, I could not buy in to some of the things Sedevacantism believes. I even looked into the Orthodox church for a brief time. Masses in my area are still by reservation only, and I have not been to a Catholic Mass since Ash Wednesday... and Parishes in this area still require full masking that is if you have a reservation only to attend.

All that said, my now wife was raised in an LCMS Lutheran church, the Pastor there married us with a month's notice, and I have been attending services there fairly regularly. Not only that, but masks are "required" only until you are seated. As in, you don't have to wear a mask during the service. I am not using this post as a means of promoting LCMS Lutheran beliefs, I do still consider myself a Catholic at heart, but what's happening is disgraceful to me. At least it's something I say. No I am not a church authority, but I have been struggling DEEPLY with this whole thing. As you said, the same church that held services in secret is now kowtowing to the secular forces around the world. The Pope has been supporting all of the mandates and restrictions by government, and if you are in the United States, as you know our new "President" Joe Biden openly supports abortion and has been lauded by some in the church hierarchy.

I don't consider myself to have defected from the Church, I still try to pray the Liturgy of the Hours during different parts of the day, say the mass from my 1962 Missal, and do my best to follow the precepts and dogmas of the Church. And yet, I feel abandoned and even a little betrayed by the Church. I see things I am abhorred by and I sometimes wonder where is the Church? Where is it? It's not just the Catholic Church either I know, but where are our shepherds, where are our leaders, where is the Church? I feel disgraceful for sometimes for doing a little Mini Mass in my one Bedroom Apartment with some incense, but the alternative is no Mass or a reservation mass with masks and social distancing enforcement. Is it pride that's causing me to feel this way? I don't know my brother, but know this: you are not alone out there. The time I think is passed for Christians to think this is going to stop, but I truly don't know what the best course of action is. Maybe it is just praying for God's Grace and increased patience to get through this all, but I don't know. I hope to get more dialogue going, but keep the faith, brother in Christ.

DeFide

Robin
I was skimming this thread and came across your post which has really spoken to me, and is very similar to my situation. I was attending local Novus Ordo Masses in area for all of 2019, then after New Year's I started attending a Traditional Latin Mass offered by my diocese from January 2020 up until Ash Wednesday of last year. As you know, the hammer dropped, Lent, Holy Week, and Easter were all cancelled. The day celebrating Christ's resurrection, a Holy Day of Obligation, there were no public masses being offered. I was offended, discouraged, and overall confused. My wife and I were supposed to get married in a local parish, yet the Priest told us that only our parents could attend a service that would be limited to 10 minutes tops. I came across a few fellows (associated with Roosh) who introduced me to Sedevacantism and the Novus Ordo Watch website. I looked in the Sedevacantist movement, and while I have seen the grim state of affairs of the Catholic Church at this time, I could not buy in to some of the things Sedevacantism believes. I even looked into the Orthodox church for a brief time. Masses in my area are still by reservation only, and I have not been to a Catholic Mass since Ash Wednesday... and Parishes in this area still require full masking that is if you have a reservation only to attend.

All that said, my now wife was raised in an LCMS Lutheran church, the Pastor there married us with a month's notice, and I have been attending services there fairly regularly. Not only that, but masks are "required" only until you are seated. As in, you don't have to wear a mask during the service. I am not using this post as a means of promoting LCMS Lutheran beliefs, I do still consider myself a Catholic at heart, but what's happening is disgraceful to me. At least it's something I say. No I am not a church authority, but I have been struggling DEEPLY with this whole thing. As you said, the same church that held services in secret is now kowtowing to the secular forces around the world. The Pope has been supporting all of the mandates and restrictions by government, and if you are in the United States, as you know our new "President" Joe Biden openly supports abortion and has been lauded by some in the church hierarchy.

I don't consider myself to have defected from the Church, I still try to pray the Liturgy of the Hours during different parts of the day, say the mass from my 1962 Missal, and do my best to follow the precepts and dogmas of the Church. And yet, I feel abandoned and even a little betrayed by the Church. I see things I am abhorred by and I sometimes wonder where is the Church? Where is it? It's not just the Catholic Church either I know, but where are our shepherds, where are our leaders, where is the Church? I feel disgraceful for sometimes for doing a little Mini Mass in my one Bedroom Apartment with some incense, but the alternative is no Mass or a reservation mass with masks and social distancing enforcement. Is it pride that's causing me to feel this way? I don't know my brother, but know this: you are not alone out there. The time I think is passed for Christians to think this is going to stop, but I truly don't know what the best course of action is. Maybe it is just praying for God's Grace and increased patience to get through this all, but I don't know. I hope to get more dialogue going, but keep the faith, brother in Christ.
I’ll keep you in my prayers.

I’m also going to forward your intentions—and those of several Catholics on this subforum who are confused and struggling due to the current crisis— to the Religious Sisters of the Congregation of Mary Immaculate Queen. The sisters will be keeping you in their prayers and will pray for your intentions from February 2-10 during the novena in honor of Our Lady of Lourdes.

Last edited:
I’ll keep you in my prayers.

I’m also going to forward your intentions—and those of several Catholics on this subforum who are confused and struggling due to the current crisis— to the Religious Sisters of the Congregation of Mary Immaculate Queen. The sisters will be keeping you in their prayers and will pray for your intentions from February 2-10 during the novena in honor of Our Lady of Lourdes.
Thank you, very much. And thank you for the video as well.

Lavabis Me

Sparrow

Frustration- and anxiety-wise, you are where I was years ago. It's such a hollow, empty, lonely, "where do I go now?" feeling: the rug has been pulled out from beneath you and it's extremely hard not to start questioning the Faith and your faith in it.

It sounds like it's abated a bit for you, but if you're like me, it will come back again with a vengeance, especially when some challenges arise in your life: you reach for that spiritual well-spring that should be there... and it's empty.

If or when that happens, take a breath and realize you're being tested. Think of Christ spending three days "in the earth", completely removed from His disciples: the fear; the scandal. Never mind the last election leaving you in disbelief, imagine being a disciple of Christ, believing with Peter that He was the Son of the Living God, and then seeing Him tortured and hung on a gibbet, dead as dead can be.

What you do now is of great import. Stop going to any heretical Protestant services: it is not a Mass, and they outright don't even claim to be doing what the Catholic Church does. Stick to that teaching first - don't go outside the Faith. Read the Mass in your apartment as you're doing, but more importantly, if you love Him, keep His commandments (John 14:15); in other words, start living the Faith. Take small bites you can chew: don't curse the driver that just cut you off; abstain from meat on Friday and skip a meal or two to train your will and endure a little physical suffering with Him on the cross; the next time someone asks you for help, do it. Show Christ a mustard seed of Faith, and in time - it could be a long time - He will fill you to overflowing with His grace.

Pax vobiscum