The Chosen series

Psalm27

Woodpecker
Gold Member
There is a crowd funded series called The Chosen, it's about Jesus and His gospel. I thought you guys might be interested in it.

Trailer

Episode 1

You can watch the rest on an Android or iOS app.

Paul in 1 Corinthians mentions feeding new believers with "milk" rather than "meat". Sure its a little glamorized but I didn't find it off putting. Maybe it turns into "The Jesus Project" for our decade and can be used to introduce folks with little Biblical understanding to the issues of that time and to Jesus.

If the "soap opera" parts were kept to a minimum, and emphasis was on real Biblical events and characters I think it could be quite good.

Last edited:

Rob Banks

Pelican
I find it crass and profane to make soap-operas out of the Gospel, and I wish prots would stop doing this.
Just out of curiosity, do you also have a problem with a movie like Mel Gibson’s The Passion of the Christ?

It was a good movie, but it always struck me kind of weird to have Hollywood actors portraying Jesus and other holy Biblical figures.

But then again, we’re not Muslims, who don’t allow any depictions of Muhammad.

ilostabet

Pelican
Just out of curiosity, do you also have a problem with a movie like Mel Gibson’s The Passion of the Christ?

It was a good movie, but it always struck me kind of weird to have Hollywood actors portraying Jesus and other holy Biblical figures.

But then again, we’re not Muslims, who don’t allow any depictions of Muhammad.

I don't. In fact, I think that is the only movie that takes the Gospel seriously. I believe it was divinely inspired in some way.

Lazuli Waves

Woodpecker
I don't. In fact, I think that is the only movie that takes the Gospel seriously. I believe it was divinely inspired in some way.

I believe The Passion of the Christ was divinely inspired, too. He based it on the Gospel as well as Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich's visions. When the Pope saw the movie, he said, "It is as it was." It wasn't meant to be an official statement from the church, though.

I have not watched The Chosen yet. It's worth noting that it was created entirely outside the Hollywood system. The entire first season was crowd funded, and they're close to finished with crowd funding the second season. The first season raised the most money out of any video or film crowd funded project, ever.

LightofApollo

Sparrow
Woman
I have not watched The Chosen yet. It's worth noting that it was created entirely outside the Hollywood system. The entire first season was crowd funded, and they're close to finished with crowd funding the second season. The first season raised the most money out of any video or film crowd funded project, ever.
I'm one of those crowdfunders. I can't express myself strongly enough that Christians of any stripe should be watching this series. This series was made for the Body. I like what the non-denoms are up to right now. A lot of them are on a vector leading to Orthodoxy. Their orthopraxy already vastly exceeds the more sectarian of the protestants. The Winnowing is an exciting time to be alive.

Eusebius Erasmus

Kingfisher
I find it crass and profane to make soap-operas out of the Gospel, and I wish prots would stop doing this.
I didn’t find anything soap operatic in it. It takes artistic liberties, but so does every artistic portrayal of the Gospels.

However I hope they get an Orthodox advisor. Currently they have a Catholic priest, evangelical Protestant, and Messianic Jew advising them.

DanielH

Pelican
I thought season 1 was edifying. I didn't see any dealbreakers in it. Thought it was very well made. I guess it focuses more on love than repentance (not that they ignore repentance) and they have a diverse cast but they don't go overboard with it like Hollywood would. I think it would be worth watching it with a wife, girlfriend, children, or beginners in general. Reading the Gospels is of course better. Looking forward to watching Season 2 with my wife.

Tytalus

Pelican
I'm not a christian myself, so can't speak to that aspect, but I'd try watching the first episode to see if I found it offensively re-interpreting the bible.