The Chosen series

Cortés

Woodpecker
Gold Member
I know one of the actors in this movie fairly well (supporting guy, not one of the main characters). He's not christian at all and very likely could not care less about portraying Jesus Christ in his proper glory. He's a good person and talented actor, but i don't see how a series like this can do the gospel proper justice if the actors personally don't believe that Jesus was the messiah

mgill0600

Pigeon
I've yet to watch it but heard good things. Realize it's still a work in progress but I would judge the usefulness of the work on the faithfulness to Jesus' message of salvation "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” - John 14:6

If they dramatize some other aspects to make it more appealing to the masses, as long as it is not distracting from the main purpose of the Gospel (saving men's souls) I think this show could be a great way to reach a Western audience more out of touch with Christianity than any which came before it.

I realize Othodox and traditional Catholics take their traditions very seriously and some messages in this thread seem to convey a disdain for using modern mediums to spread the Gospel. Do we say then that if a person sees a show like this and decides they want to learn more about Jesus, that their faith was less than that of one who came to that decision from attending a mass, or reading a passage from the King James Bible?

I mean no disrespect to the traditions of Orthodoxy or Catholicism, I believe Protestantism lost some very useful tools of faith in the Reformation (My pastor likens it to the old saying of throwing the baby out with the bathwater). And while I agree that we should be cautious in our use of technology, the modern TV series, movie or YouTube channel are magnificent tools for reaching people in a capacity not previously possible in the history of the world.

DanielH

Pelican
I've yet to watch it but heard good things. Realize it's still a work in progress but I would judge the usefulness of the work on the faithfulness to Jesus' message of salvation "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” - John 14:6

If they dramatize some other aspects to make it more appealing to the masses, as long as it is not distracting from the main purpose of the Gospel (saving men's souls) I think this show could be a great way to reach a Western audience more out of touch with Christianity than any which came before it.

I realize Othodox and traditional Catholics take their traditions very seriously and some messages in this thread seem to convey a disdain for using modern mediums to spread the Gospel. Do we say then that if a person sees a show like this and decides they want to learn more about Jesus, that their faith was less than that of one who came to that decision from attending a mass, or reading a passage from the King James Bible?

I mean no disrespect to the traditions of Orthodoxy or Catholicism, I believe Protestantism lost some very useful tools of faith in the Reformation (My pastor likens it to the old saying of throwing the baby out with the bathwater). And while I agree that we should be cautious in our use of technology, the modern TV series, movie or YouTube channel are magnificent tools for reaching people in a capacity not previously possible in the history of the world.
An atheist or lukewarm Christian in name only becoming a Chosen fan and converting to non-denominational Protestantism is better than them remaining in their former state. I don't think any Orthodox or Catholics here would disagree with that.

Handsome Creepy Eel

Owl
Gold Member
I was scared that this series was going to be some sort of pop-Christian evangelical circus, but it's actually very low-key, subtle, and charming to watch.

The most interesting detail for me is how I watch many scenes while thinking "heh, obviously they threw this in for extra drama or some comic relief", then go open the Bible and find the scene right there, faithful down to the tiniest detail.

Overall, this series is quite refreshing and is a pleasant surprise in a world full of degenerate entertainment.

Last edited:

Eusebius Erasmus

Kingfisher
I know one of the actors in this movie fairly well (supporting guy, not one of the main characters). He's not christian at all and very likely could not care less about portraying Jesus Christ in his proper glory. He's a good person and talented actor, but i don't see how a series like this can do the gospel proper justice if the actors personally don't believe that Jesus was the messiah
I don't mind this, as long as he's a supporting character, and does a good job.

Eusebius Erasmus

Kingfisher
Season 2, Episode 4 was amazing: perhaps the best of the series thus far.

I might have to revise this assessment, after my wife pointed out heretical theology in the show: the episode heavily implies that the Gospel of John's account of the angel stirring the waters of Bethesda is just a pagan superstition.

This is not the Orthodox understanding of the Bethesda pool, which was stirred by the angel Raphael for the healing of the sick.

Indeed, the fact that God and the angels can use objects like relics (Acts 19:12) and holy sites (John 5: 3-4) seems foreign to the Protestants who produced The Chosen.

EDIT. I could be mistaken. Some early Church Fathers believed that the angel who stirred the waters was really a demon, Asclepius:

Last edited: