The Christian Music Thread

oddly, i love Christian rap, and hate 99% of secular rap.
But i hate "Christian" rock (it just seems so fake and like milk of the word, not meat), and i love just about every genre of rock out there. I'll share some of my favorites

I agree that most of the Christian rock I've heard seems fake, or maybe "forced" ? Being a hillbilly, I prefer the old bluegrass gospel over the modern praise stuff. I'm also into prog rock and prog metal, and while the band Dream Theater is not exactly Christian per se, they have a couple of songs which relate to it; good vs evil, God vs the devil, etc. One such song is "In the Presence of Enemies" parts one and two. It's about a guy who has been in the service of the devil, but denounces him and turns to God. Not your typical Christian music in sound or lyric.

d8rPGV2LCjo

yhHNZXO-RE0

Er Miqué

Sparrow
Christian Music has a lot of good rare stuff that is like a gold mine for any LP collector; Christian Music has a lot of good stuff that isn't generic and variety of genres: from Catholic Nun Folk to Jazz Funk. There is a blogspot site named "The King's Music Blog" where you can find a lot of Christian hard to find albums of varied genres: you'll be amazed at how much Christian music there really is besides what's popular nowadays, stuff that's good and forgotten; there's also a book called "The Archivist 4th Edition" that shows a lot of rare Christian Music albums if you ever plan on collecting LPs or just new stuff to find on youtube. Thanks to the internet there is a revival of this before dead music: that's a good thing among all these constant blackpills you see everyday.

Hermetic Seal

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Excellent. This is my specialty.

My Epic - Christian progressive rock band. Excellent songwriting, composition, instrumentation, the whole package. Incorporates elements of post-rock, post-metal, and more. Probably my favorite band. Listen to all of their albums, but especially Behold, Yet, Viscera, and Broken Voice.

As Cities Burn - Progressive post-hardcore band. Started out with a very aggressive, hardcore-inspired sound on their first album, but on Come Now Sleep (their best record) and Hell Or High Water, their sound evolved into more of an indie rock direction with some prog-rock elements. Cody, their lead guitarist/vocalist, is one of my favorite players and has a unique, twisty style of lead playing.

Thrice - Post-hardcore on earlier release, indie rock later on. Their singer, who used to be affiliated with the ill-fated Mars Hill Church in Seattle, has turned into a cuck recently, but the old albums are still good, with some great lyrics and musicianship.

Kings Kaleidoscope - Experimental progressive soul band. Starting as a high-concept worship band, from their (terrific) sophomore album Beyond Control onward, they've been more a general contemporary Christian band that blends soul and R&B influences into progressive rock. Probably the most original-sounding Christian artists on the planet right now. Spun off from the Mars Hill scene.

Citizens - Indie rock band spun off from Mars Hill worship scene. They sound a bit more like a contemporary indie band with elements of new wave in their sound. This song is a bit more downbeat, reminiscent of early 90s slowcore bands.

Hermetic Seal

Kingfisher
Gold Member
August Burns Red - Melodic metalcore with elements of various other genres. They've become one of the best-known metalcore bands, Christian or otherwise. Lots of interesting lead playing.

Jars Of Clay - Pop rock with various folk elements mixed in. Most of their albums are excellent and have held up well over the past 20+ years. Despite being pretty popular in the day and having some crossover hits, Jars always had some very thoughtful songwriting that was much more complex than other mainstream Christian bands.

Caedmon's Call - Folk rock with some seriously great songwriting on their first four albums. Like Jars of Clay, they were pretty popular in the late 90s but often somber compared to their contemporaries. Before he embarked on a solo career and turned into a total cuck, Derek Webb wrote some great songs for Caedmon's Call.

Josh Garrels - Folk rock/indie pop. The closest modern successor to the sound of Jars of Clay or Caedmon's Call. If you like bands like Arcade Fire or Broken Social Scene, you would like his music. Often features lush instrumentation and great lyrics.

The Waiting - Alternative rock inspired by 80s college rock, sometimes compared to REM. Some nice jangly guitar playing throughout.

Christian music is alive and thriving in the metal and hardcore scenes. Some popular bands include Underoath, The Chariot, For Today, Norma Jean, or any band on Facedown Records. I'm not really into this scene, only a couple bands on the periphery like My Epic.

Modern CCM (Contemporary Christian Music), like you'd hear on Christian radio, is boring pop garbage with little to recommend it. Avoid at all costs. There are plenty of great independent artists out there (like many I mentioned above) making music with real artistic credibility.

I intentionally avoided the worship genre. Much of what's popular is manufactured by the massive charismatic organizations like Hillsong, Bethel, and Elevation - titanic megachurches with sketchy leadership and theology.

debeguiled

Peacock
Gold Member
Good call on the worship genre. It seems to focus much more on the emotional experience of the believer than the actual person they are believing.

debeguiled said:
Good call on the worship genre. It seems to focus much more on the emotional experience of the believer than the actual person they are believing.

Maybe that is why i never liked the whole CCM scene. I couldn't put my finger on it. Thank you for eloquently describing my distate for it.

I've never enjoyed it i think for this reason alone.I find Christian Rap inspirational because i can relate to the stories in these raps and see that there's a path of salvation that makes this life easier to deal with.

HermeticAlly said:
Modern CCM (Contemporary Christian Music), like you'd hear on Christian radio, is boring pop garbage with little to recommend it. Avoid at all costs. There are plenty of great independent artists out there (like many I mentioned above) making music with real artistic credibility.

Yup....i do that instinctively.I wasn't sure why i disliked this... but it makes sense since you and debeguiled stated the reasoning. Thank you guys for pointing this out.

Dr. Howard

Peacock
Gold Member
Salinger said:
I wish my church had Christian women that looked like them.

You need to move to East Tennessee my friend. Every Southern Baptist Church I went to there had just regular congregation members that could sing at recording studio quality. The area I lived in had something like 3 top 5 "voice" or "american idol" finishers in recent years. Singing and playing instruments is just a 'normal' thing to do. Country fairs had 'gospel music tents' where you could go and listen to this style of music all weekend.

The area, especially the country, has very sharp divisions. That division is 'those that go to church, don't drink or do drugs' and 'those that do meth' the population is 50/50 and there is no one in the middle.

The women also look like girls in this video. Though they aren't a dime a dozen, if a woman can sing and is slim in a church and is single, she isn't going to be single long.

Dr. Howard said:
You need to move to East Tennessee my friend. Every Southern Baptist Church I went to there had just regular congregation members that could sing at recording studio quality. The area I lived in had something like 3 top 5 "voice" or "american idol" finishers in recent years. Singing and playing instruments is just a 'normal' thing to do. Country fairs had 'gospel music tents' where you could go and listen to this style of music all weekend.

The area, especially the country, has very sharp divisions. That division is 'those that go to church, don't drink or do drugs' and 'those that do meth' the population is 50/50 and there is no one in the middle.

This is very true. The E. Tenn/N.E. Bama/N.W. Georgia area is exactly as you described. I'm usually making trips to Chattanooga/ATL/Birmingham for work depending on the terminal and you don't see this kinda stark disparity of women in churches that you lack in metropolitan areas.

Dr. Howard said:
Now, on the other hand, a lot of these kinda women when they seem to like city life and "Adventures in Nashville" on their profiles that they're just as loosely moraled as a city slicker girl in one of these bigger cities in the surrounding areas. The difference is, they're nowhere near as open about it due to the social shaming of being promiscuous still pretty prevalent in the southern rural areas , and usually go after a "alpha male" type in a church ministry...and will settle later on a supplicant beta male church goer in their late 20s early 30s.
There are no sacred areas anymore in regards to chastity.

Hermetic Seal

Kingfisher
Gold Member
There is good worship music being written, it's just outside of the Hillsong/Bethel/Elevation corporate nexus of super popular stuff. The first Citizens album, everything by Ascend The Hill, and some others.

debeguiled

Peacock
Gold Member
A new Christmas carol to me. With Yo-Yo Ma tossing a neg to Alison Krauss to start it off, and her funny reaction. Merry Christmas.

Good people all, this Christmas time,
Consider well and bear in mind
What our good God for us has done
In sending his beloved son
With Mary holy we should pray,
To God with love this Christmas Day
In Bethlehem upon that morn,
There was a blessed Messiah born
The night before that happy tide
The noble Virgin and her guide
Were long time seeking up and down
To find a lodging in the town