The Coronavirus Pandemic thread III

myrica

Pigeon
i use this really simple rule;
if something(anything really) is on all over social media/mainstream media CONSTANTLY, its wrong. Basic logic.
they talk about virus for months and months end to instill fear. They did same shit after 9/11 with terorist threat. Many liberties were taken away under the guise of *oh its for your safety, terorist blabla*.
Now, same will happen under the pretext of *oh its for your safety, virus is this, and that*. We already see signs of it with britain not allowing hand luggages *because of infection*.
Now with borders are slowly opening, we see similar pattern. You need to have covid test done max. 72 hours before, show the paper, after arriving, you need to have another test(wtf). How long will it take for em to put some sort of immunity passport or whatever shit they come up with?
ANYTIME i see/hear *its for your safety/health*,i know its bullshit and brainwashing at best. Not even your family is thinking about your safety/health sometimes, why the fuck would i believe random corporation/company/government takes care of mine?

I haven't been here in a couple months. Combination of being an essential business during COVID and forgetting both my password and the email account I had on record wasn't active anymore.

But want to check in on this. I live in what was the North American COVID epicenter. I have a business which employs about 25 people. I must say, while things have quieted down we went thru some extremely tough and scary times.

I was fortunate enough to have half my business deemed as essential so we were able to work thru the entire pandemic. But the most important factor, and responsibility was to do the best I could at protecting the health and safety of my employees and our customers, and everyone's families by extent. That was a real challenge.

We ended up having a number of positive cases within the company. We quarantined crews. We quarantined the entire company at one point given the number of positive cases. One very key employee we thought would not make it. This is one tough MFer from El Salvador and he was so sick he couldn't stand up or talk. He thought he was going to die. The entire families of everyone in our company who contracted COVID had it. Our company attorney had six clients who died from it. The marketing firm we work closely had four employees die. My CPA's cousin died. Two of our sub contractors had family members who died. My GM's wife's best friend died. My horticulturists's brother died. Then her godfather died a week later. My neighbor's uncle died. Another neighbor a few doors down sister died. 10+ people we do regular business with had close friends/family who died. Numerous clients I speak with had death around them. I knew many others who were sick and pulled thru. This was far, far worse than 9/11 around here.

I have never been thru something like this and don't wish it on anybody. For a period of about two months is seemed death was all around me. All around us. An invisible threat you're confronted with every time you leave the house. And my wife was 7-9 months pregnant during this. I was not able to attend the birth of my daughter. Every day for 2+ months myself and everyone I worked with, as soon as we got home from work would basically strip down as soon as we walked thru the front door and sanitize everything we touched. Door knobs, keys, phones, etc. Everyone's wives did not leave the house for any reason for the entire time.

The above doesn't touch on the countless businesses which have closed and will never reopen around here. The financial and economic ruin.

Sure this being the epicenter, it hit harder than everywhere else. But the fact that this thing is spiking across major states right now and they are not shutting down is a slap in the face to America. Florida is just foolish. In CA Newsome only mandated wearing masks in public last week. What the hell is going on. We shut everything down here and things still aren't open but other states are approaching this with an incredibly casual attitude while the numbers skyrocket. That puts the whole country at risk unless domestic travel is shut down.

This might seem like a joke to some. But with the death and economic ruin all around us where I am, if we get a 2nd wave because everyone else can't be bothered to take this seriously, you're crapping all over fellow Americans. And every politician, every leader in a place where this is a threat, either domestically or internationally better take this seriously and protect your citizens.

One more thing.

F China.
100% agree with @rainy

The people who are calling China virus a hoax call everything they disagree with a "conspiracy theory".

And yes F China and Chinese people.

rainy

Woodpecker
Bro if you are really as scared as you sound I suggest you stay at home for the rest of your life

Stay at home, and let others live their lives and provide for their families
Now that's an interesting comment. Suggesting that someone who went out and worked within the epicenter during the entire stretch of COVID and provided for my family, is so scared they should stay home for the rest of their life.

As is the assumption measures can't be taken to allow others to do the same while also following safety precautions without trampling all over the constitutional rights of others.

rainy

Woodpecker
As a person who believes they had this in Feb and didn't find it to be that bad at all (cough lasted 5 weeks was the most annoying) I would really like to know the demographic of the individuals and their physical condition. Do you work in elder care?
Don't work with any elderly.

The age range of those I know who died were mostly 40-60. A few of them fathers in their early 40's in good physical condition. The youngest I know who passed was 36 and a gym rat. I saw him one day and he looked perfectly well. Healthy. Was dead the following weekend.

Those comparing it to the flu are off. It's comparable if you're in an area where it doesn't grab hold and breakout. But the flu doesn't cause hospitals to be overrun beyond maximum capacity and morgues to be lining the sidewalks with dead bodies as they were here.

The director of my graduate program (Business Analytics) is some China man...Xiao Ping Zing Zhong Dang Pang...I there was some agreement between American universities and China to let a huge number of Chinks to study in various graduate programs as 'spies' of the CCP. Thankfully Trump has stopped them for at least the 2020-2021 academic year

The age range of those I know who died were mostly 40-60. A few of them fathers in their early 40's in good physical condition. The youngest I know who passed was 36 and a gym rat. I saw him one day and he looked perfectly well. Healthy. Was dead the following weekend.
Was he gay? Every single report I’ve seen of so called extremely healthy people have been gay. They may look physically healthy but are frequently far from it.

EndlessGravity

Woodpecker
If you haven't seen it yet, many counties in my state are voting in mask mandates now. Some are only for inside, some being debated are everywhere.

Papaya

Crow
Gold Member
Don't work with any elderly.

Those comparing it to the flu are off. It's comparable if you're in an area where it doesn't grab hold and breakout. But the flu doesn't cause hospitals to be overrun beyond maximum capacity and morgues to be lining the sidewalks with dead bodies as they were here.
Where is "here" exactly? Because Ive not heard credible reports of this happening anywhere

andy dufresne

Woodpecker
Those comparing it to the flu are off. It's comparable if you're in an area where it doesn't grab hold and breakout. But the flu doesn't cause hospitals to be overrun beyond maximum capacity and morgues to be lining the sidewalks with dead bodies as they were here
I also find this very interesting and concerning. I understand you don't want to be doxxed but something of this magnitude must have been publicized. Could you please include some media sources?

Silveryback

Pigeon
Wouldn't it make sense that we should, as a collective, NOT be so terrified of germs, so as to have a higher immunity for future illnesses? Even though I don't wear a mask (and don't ever intend to involuntarily) it dawned on me while speaking with my father that if our community is going to such an extent to protect themselves from the Black Plague 2.0, wouldn't that also mean I am being exposed to less possible illnesses therefore not giving my immune system the workout "practice drills" it may need?

What I'm saying is, if everyone else is taking such a major precaution to have NO contact with even one germ, would that then make society as a whole more susceptible to future illnesses?

My coronavirus pandemic 3 month summary:

- Case fatality - likely 0.4%, revised down from 0.7% at the beginning of the pandemic

- In absolute terms, COVID-19 is not that deadly, but relative to seasonal flu I am estimating it is still 5-10x worse. Flu being quoted with 0.1% case fatality rate is not very well substantiated. It is likely lower. And by personally speaking to doctors and healthcare workers, they agree they've never seen anything like this.

However, this scenario of mass hospitalization does not necessary have to be attributed to the deadliness of COVID. As I mentioned before, an infectious disease can be less deadly than the flu and still overwhelm the hospital by - 1. high degree of contagiousness. 2. Long incubation period, 3. Asymptomatic spread. These 3 factors can cause an insidious prolonged wide spread of asymptomatic infection that suddenly show up with a sudden mass admission to the hospital.

The coronavirus is not super deadly but still deadlier then the flu, but presents itself in an even more alarming manner due to the above 3 characteristics.

- By now we are also certain that those 40 y/o and under are really not at risk. but 40 y/o plus the risk increases. Very conflicting data on risk factors. Some data show smoking as risk, some show it as protective. Obesity, for sure is a risk.

- Big question the media doesn't like to talk about is development of immunity. Although many doctors report patients being reinfected, I have not heard of a severely ill patient who recovered and gotten very sick again. Given that there have been millions of cases already, if there was such an event I am sure we would have heard it by now. Also based on serum studies of recovered patients, they do develop antibodies. My best conclusion at this time is that we do develop immunity. Definitely not 100%, but pretty solid partial immunity.

- 2nd wave, another lockdown, flattening the curve - The US handling of this pandemic is laughable. The horse is out of the barn. Any hope of contact tracing, containment like other country is out of the equation. I am not blaming the healthcare officials. They tried their best. But US is so culturally, ethnically, geographically diverse it's impossible to get everyone to work together.

I do think there will be a second wave but probably not as bad as some epidemiologist think. Countries like Spain and Italy and NYC, saw a dramatic drop in cases. Sure maybe they were hit hard, got scared, and respect social distancing rules more therefore they have minimal cases now. That is possible, but the more likely cause is that they are closer to herd immunity than we think. The virus has kind of burned itself out.

Yes you need 60-70% infection to reach herd immunity, but reaching herd immunity is not a binary all or non. As you approach 40-50% community prevalence, you will still get new infections, but the rate will start to slow due to fewer intermediary hosts for the virus. I am estimating NYC is already 30% infected.

Also it appears some people do not get COVID at all. This is different from people who are asymptomatic. Throw these people in the mix, and you may reach herd immunity quicker.

The less hard hit area such as california, texas, florida will get a second wave. It'll be unpleasant, but they will be better prepared than NYC, and the peak will be managable.

- One final thought - I have no criticism of healthcare officials. They did their best under the circumstances with the information at the time. They had to advise the most conservative approach. Anyone who threaten the lives of health officials, doctors because they don't want to wear mask or feel their freedom was infringed due to the lockdown are just despicable low life human beings.

Don't try to guilt and shame people into agreeing with you mate, very bad taste

'I know some people that died off Covid19 so my opinion is more valid than yours'

Bad taste, even if it were true.

Fortunately the amount of people that prefer cold hard facts and reason over emotion has reached tipping point

-99.7- 99.9% survival rate
-93- 99.2% comorbodity rate
-Average age of the deceased somewhere around 80
-Hospitalisation rates similar to the flu

Economies worldwide are in shatters. Civil rights are being eroded left in and right. 5 billion people locked up in their houses due to illegal and inefficient lockdowns. Constitutions superceded. Global control mechanisms are launched, ranging from forced vaccination to digital medical passports, phone tracking and kafka-esque judicial frameworks

Besides, if you, after the worldwide tacitly approved mass BLM/Antifa protests, still don't get what this is about I suggest you take a couple of days off from work and start doing some soulsearching

Bro if you are really as scared as you sound I suggest you stay at home for the rest of your life

Stay at home, and let others live their lives and provide for their families
My cousin's wife, an high ranking ER doctor, was weeping during a family Zoom chat during the height of VirusHype.

In the next Zoom chat, she was wearing an "I Miss Obama" t-shirt.

The two are not unrelated, I think. During the first chat I was asking myself, "if there wasn't a media-driven panic rush would she be reacting the same? ER doctors, especially those with a decade of experience, see a lot of death." For my part, I was [mostly] a hard-nosed skeptic because anything that I sense as designed to elicit overwhelming fear is something that I sense is being used to manipulate others. And now, we passed "two weeks to flatten the curve" TWELVE weeks ago. Coronavirus went from becoming a public health scare to the One World Religion.

Travesty

Crow
Gold Member
If deaths rise dramatically in places Trump holds his rallies he is toast for 2020 and will lose by a large margin. I voted for him in '16 first time I have thought his election chances were hurt through all the bullshit over the years.

I don't understand the move. I could understand having people sit or stand 10 ft apart in small groups and wear masks in order to act as a test run for other major events to reopen the economy more.

No masks, no distancing seems like a very desperate move that will end him.

Brazil 40k+ cases today, all time high for any country in a day. 1,300+ deaths, second highest death day for Brazil. I still think there are bats there that haven't gotten it yet.

Last edited:

Samseau

Owl
Gold Member
All the available evidence continues to suggest that while this may be a deadly virus, the rate at which it spreads is not nearly as contagious as people feared.

Spoke to a grocery store worker, no one he worked with got sick other than some maintenance worker who traveled through all the stores.

The fact that we don't see more grocery store workers sick proves that social distancing prevents transmission of this virus by 99% or more. The masks are nonsense and do nothing, viral particles are so small you need an electron microscope to see them. Cloth masks won't do anything against that. When someone breathes out, the CO2 and H20 probably falls to the floor in a few feet. 6 feet is plenty.

The reopening will go fine as long as people keep their distance, if Whites start crowding each other then they will die in huge numbers like the Blacks and Hispanics are.

Last edited: