The Coronavirus Pandemic thread III

Easy_C

Peacock
I still insist that a major reason the MSM has been able to whip up normies into a frenzy over COVID is that almost no one understands large numbers and can do basic math anymore, even in the "high IQ West." Every time the MSM throws out a number like 150,000 in the article above, I factor it in with what I guess is the population of the area mentioned and replace it with "statistically insignificant for an infection with a survival rate of close to 99%" in my mind, then go on with my day.
Kinda. It’s also a highly tribal mentality that is very easily exploited.

Keep in mind that although we tend to view tribalism favorably here, when not tempered by reason it is very easily exploited to enforce conformity, create artificial consensus, and harness people’s efforts towards causes that don’t actually benefit the tribe as a whole (e.g. any secular nationalist nation’s tendency to engage in empire building).

The COVID hysteria has become a tribal marker.

MRAll134

Kingfisher
I am just posting this because some of the workers around me are from India and they are saying the CV19 is bad over there (families). And, I figured if CV19 was a real pandemic, then it would be really bad in places like India, who do not have the medical infrastructure to cope with it. Though, I am very skeptical of anything the BBC has to say:

Covid in Uttar Pradesh: Coronavirus overwhelms India's most populous state
Mon, April 19, 2021, 9:45 PM·6 min read
India is reeling under a severe second wave of Covid-19 and many states are struggling to cope with the rising numbers. Uttar Pradesh, India's most populous state, is among the worst affected in the country and its people are suffering even as authorities insist the situation is under control, reports the BBC's Geeta Pandey.

Kanwal Jeet Singh's 58-year-old father Niranjan Pal Singh died on Friday in an ambulance while being ferried from one hospital to another. They had been turned away by four hospitals for a lack of beds.

"It was a heart-wrenching day for me," he told me on the phone from his home in Kanpur city. "I believe if he had received treatment on time, he would have lived. But no-one helped us, the police, the health authorities or the government."

With a total of 851,620 infections and 9,830 deaths since the pandemic began last year, Uttar Pradesh had not done too badly during the first wave that ravaged many other states. But the second wave has brought it to the brink.

Source: https://news.yahoo.com/covid-uttar-pradesh-coronavirus-overwhelms-014721292.html

rockoman

Woodpecker

The Indian numbers - 'cases' and 'covid deaths' had been declining steadily for months until late February/early March following the start of the 'vaccination' campaign.

The same has happened in: Bangladesh, Uruguay, Israel ..... everywhere.

This doesn't necessarily mean that anyone extra is dying who would otherwise have lived. All it means is that the number of those dying who have tested positive in the previous 28 days has increased.

Perhaps the 'vaccines' are causing more people to 'test positive'. Perhaps something else.

The share of 'tests' which are positive in India is currently around 12%. In India 27000 people die every day.Meaning that if 12% of all people in India would 'test positive' that roughly 3500 people would die 'with covid' merely as a result of the law of averages without whatever factor is causing the 'positive test' playing anyrole whatsover.

It really is as simple as that.

bucky

Ostrich
I am just posting this because some of the workers around me are from India and they are saying the CV19 is bad over there (families). And, I figured if CV19 was a real pandemic, then it would be really bad in places like India, who do not have the medical infrastructure to cope with it. Though, I am very skeptical of anything the BBC has to say:

Covid in Uttar Pradesh: Coronavirus overwhelms India's most populous state
Mon, April 19, 2021, 9:45 PM·6 min read
India is reeling under a severe second wave of Covid-19 and many states are struggling to cope with the rising numbers. Uttar Pradesh, India's most populous state, is among the worst affected in the country and its people are suffering even as authorities insist the situation is under control, reports the BBC's Geeta Pandey.

Kanwal Jeet Singh's 58-year-old father Niranjan Pal Singh died on Friday in an ambulance while being ferried from one hospital to another. They had been turned away by four hospitals for a lack of beds.

"It was a heart-wrenching day for me," he told me on the phone from his home in Kanpur city. "I believe if he had received treatment on time, he would have lived. But no-one helped us, the police, the health authorities or the government."

With a total of 851,620 infections and 9,830 deaths since the pandemic began last year, Uttar Pradesh had not done too badly during the first wave that ravaged many other states. But the second wave has brought it to the brink.

Source: https://news.yahoo.com/covid-uttar-pradesh-coronavirus-overwhelms-014721292.html
Less than 10k deaths in an Indian state. Even if we say, for the sake of argument, that all of those were really from COVID and not very sick and unhealthy people who were going to die soon anyway and also happened to have COVID, I'd wager there are more livestock-related deaths in a typical Indian state every year.

I've been saying since shortly after all this began that one of the reasons people fall for the hoax is not having a basic understanding of how large numbers work. How many thousands in a million, how many millions in a billions, billions in a trillion, and what the populations of the world and various countries are.

MRAll134

Kingfisher
I've been saying since shortly after all this began that one of the reasons people fall for the hoax is not having a basic understanding of how large numbers work. How many thousands in a million, how many millions in a billions, billions in a trillion, and what the populations of the world and various countries are.
I know. In a nation of 1.5 billion (and growing), how much is 10k in deaths? It is not even a blip on the radar.

But, I calculated it out. The 2021 pop' of Uttar is 241 million. 10k deaths in 241 million is 0.0041% So, it is nothing.

SlickyBoy

Hummingbird
I had a conversation with some boomer dentist the other day, when it turned to the virus he immediately accused me of being a conservative conspiracy theorist the moment I told him I didn't think the virus was all it was cracked up to be. I've known this guy for years and never heard him utter a political word in his life - basically being a happy go lucky beer & sports type when not fixing teeth. But this scamdemic has turned everyone into a pearl-clutching Karen.

I'm not sure if it's an attempt at being hip to the times or just boomer narcissism, but it is disappointing to listen to a health professional chime in with talking points he probably picked up from NPR on the way to work without even thinking. To hear a health professional reflexively swallow it all is depressing. It went kind of like this:

"But we've had half a million people die from it!"
"No, we've had half a million people die WITH it. Even for those who did die from it, is the goal to eliminate every last death? What about car accidents? Should we all drive 20 miles per hour to ensure nobody gets killed in a car accident? Of course not - we live with that risk. But at least we live. Now, we can't even do that normally."

"But Dr Fauci said...."

"Dr. Fauci is a megalomaniacal quack who changes his opinion every month so long as the camera stays on his has-been face a little longer. Do you really think me wearing this same mask I've had in my pocket for a month does a damned thing?"

...silence... I continued:

"So you got your wish, a virus weaponized to get Trump out of office,. Now why are we still playing this game? Florida isn't. Texas isn't. The people outside of the fear bubble in DC understand what's going on and will not tolerate another summer of masks and lockdowns while Antifa and BLM get to burn the cities down again."

I continued - "The government only pushes the vaccine hard now so they can credit themselves with solving the over-hyped problem, even though the virus already made the rounds and is probably dying down by now. The political need for Biden and the great resetters to get ahead of this is the only reason we still push a vaccine that by their own admission won't change your life one bit other than get you used to social control."

He wasn't getting it, but I think his assistant did.