The Coronavirus Pandemic thread III

CynicalContrarian

Owl
Gold Member
"Just a flu, bro!"

Yeah..., except.
We've never seen this kind of reaction to a disease before.
Whether governments, corporations or organizations.
'Something' is up...

A mere six weeks later... :

China-Virus-six-weeks.jpg

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-31/coronavirus-map-tracks-spread-throughout-world/11912828
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Richard Turpin

Kingfisher
A few of the 'It's just the Flu' posts on social media from friends and colleagues are not going to age well. I almost feel sorry for them.

By the way, what do we think is going on in Africa with the low numbers? Just luck? Heat (dry and hot, rather than humid and hot), person-to-person transmission rather than surface to person (uv killing it?). I always figured Africa and India would get hit hard quickly with this stuff. I still consider this to be very early days of course.

Hansel

Robin
Nobody knows. For all we know, people in Africa might be dying in droves while being falsely diagnosed as having caught a flu, or they might be keeling over and dying on the streets of a South African slum. Who knows? They might be so used to that kind of stuff nobody bothered reporting it to the authorities since their governments doesn't care about them anyway.

Anyway, I'm much more inclined to believe there's an undetected death wave in Africa right now. There have been lots of people infected after they travelled to Egypt, roughly at the same time as Italy reports its initial cases. Interestingly, Egypt only has a few dozen cases registered at the moment...

Oaks

Robin
Massive lockdown and quarantine where I live now in Europe.

No flights, limited transport out of the city, all schools closed, no restaurant or stores (only delivery). Only banks, supermarkets and pharmacies have stayed open.

This thing is going to cause a lot of pain. Economic, social, stress, and some people are going to die.

I'm not 100% sure of my religion or faith in God, but I honestly pray that things get better.
And I pray that everyone on this forum stays safe and stays alive.

Louis IX

Pelican
My big boss (CEO) told me two weeks ago when i warned him that "it s just a flu" and "death will find us anyway" and "dont worry all will be fine" and people "die more from a normal flu"

I believe my job is safe :)

griffinmill

Kingfisher
Where are all these good progressive liberals who want open borders, free healthcare and houses built for all the refugees who want to come?

People are now basically killing each other for toilet paper.

This crisis has brought out the worst in humanity, and shows just how selfish we are in times of a crisis.

I went to five stories last night looking for basic household goods.

RexImperator

Crow
Gold Member
Africa’s population is very young and not very obese so they might not even notice this, compared to the other diseases going around there.

lookslikeit

Woodpecker
Richard Turpin said:
A few of the 'It's just the Flu' posts on social media from friends and colleagues are not going to age well. I almost feel sorry for them.

By the way, what do we think is going on in Africa with the low numbers? Just luck? Heat (dry and hot, rather than humid and hot), person-to-person transmission rather than surface to person (uv killing it?). I always figured Africa and India would get hit hard quickly with this stuff. I still consider this to be very early days of course.

africa is not very well connected to the rest of the world. It really takes a more connected place like North Africa/South Africa to get the virus there. But it'll eventually makes it way there.

Handsome Creepy Eel

Owl
Gold Member
My wife's friend - a top-certified accountant working for a major corporation - was just trying to explain to my wife that "this is not a big deal because 97% of people get through the disease just fine". We tried explaining to her that survival rate was actually the same thing the death rate, just stated in reverse to sound more optimistic, but she kept insisting that "no, you got it wrong, survival rate of 97% doesn't mean that 1 out of every 33 people will die" :huh:

:facepalm2:

Again, this is a very high IQ, well-read, well-educated person who has attended all the top schools and is considered the creme of society in terms of both wealth and status :verysad:

mikado

Pelican
lookslikeit said:
Richard Turpin said:

africa is not very well connected to the rest of the world. It really takes a more connected place like North Africa/South Africa to get the virus there. But it'll eventually makes it way there.

French/Italian people or immigrants of Senegalese origin already brought the virus from Europe to Senegal. Same lockdown measures (schools closed, religious ceremonies cancelled etc), fortunately no death now.

Of course some irresponsible people arrived without signaling themselves as having coronavirus.

Personally I am working from home in France, supposedly there have been some cases in my (little, not very connected) city.

According to experts I've heard, Africa is going to get hit big time and have ZERO chance of containing it. It will run rampant through the continent and it will be the single biggest threat of re-infection to the world. Remember that 41% of those with severe disease are under 50 years old and Africa has no capability to treat them.

Which means that come fall, Africa might be quarantined from the entire world, for the foreseeable future.

Caduceus

Pelican
Chinese media links coronavirus to US military lab

BBC News
BBC Monitoring

The [Chinese] state-run Global Times has reported about a petition on the White House website urging the US government to release more information on the suspension of an infectious disease research lab under the Pentagon.

The Global Times noted that Chinese internet users and experts are calling for more information on whether The Fort Detrick laboratory was linked to the novel coronavirus, citing coincidental events between the lab’s closure and the outbreak of Covid-19.

It noted many English-language news reports about the closure of Fort Detrick were deleted recently, raising “suspicions over the lab's ‘relationship’ with the novel coronavirus”.

Hermetic Seal

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Gold Member
The African population bubble, propped up by NGOs and Western do-gooders handing out food and medicine, is completely unsustainable and if left unchecked would eventually result in massive, uncontrollable migration into Europe. From this perspective, the pandemic could end up being a blessing in disguise for Europe if they can maintain a long-term pretense for sinking the boats.

Hermetic Seal

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Gold Member
I just don't get the US-made-the-virus conspiracy theory. Considering how dependent the US is upon Chinese imports for pretty much everything, and the fact that it would likely take decades of concentrated effort to change that, it's hard to imagine it's really in America's best interests to cripple the economic output of a nation we're unfortunately dependent upon not just for consumer goods but raw materials. Especially when you don't get to play the hero by conveniently appearing with the vaccine in the nick of time, which has clearly already passed.

Maybe Trump and his cabal of alleged conspirators really are looking at an American industrial renaissance and self-reliance in twenty years, but I think they would prefer to have a good economy right now.

It's much more plausible that the virus is a Chinese bioweapon that escaped the lab.