The Decentralized and Alternate Tech Thread

Jünger

Ostrich
welp

Statement on Gab's fork of Mastodon​

Mastodon is completely opposed to Gab’s project and philosophy, which seeks to monetize and platform racist content while hiding behind the banner of free speech. Mastodon remains committed to standing up against hate speech; for example, our new server covenant means we only list servers on joinmastodon.org that are committed to active moderation against racism, sexism and transphobia. The Mastodon community does not approve of their attempt to hijack our infrastructure and has already taken steps to isolate Gab and keep hate speech off the fediverse.

Mastodon champions a free API ecosystem and as such all Mastodon apps are created and maintained by independent developers. However, Tusky (Android) and Toot! (iOS) have blacklisted Gab’s domains from their login screens. Gab users will not be able to use these apps to access or post from Gab. We do not currently know if any other apps are doing the same. Mastodon itself allows instance owners to decide which domains to block. Most servers in the fediverse are already blocking the Gab domains and we have done the same at mastodon.social.

In addition to the isolation Gab can expect from the fediverse, it is clear that their design choices offer users no incentive to choose their platform. By paywalling basic features that are freely available on Mastodon, Gab puts itself at a disadvantage compared to any Mastodon instance. Mastodon remains non commercially structured and all features are available to users freely from the start.

skullmask

Woodpecker
Gab will be coming out with a phone

I also think pinephone has been discussed on the this forum.
I ordered one, but I have no idea when I will receive it.

redbeard

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Gab will be coming out with a phone

I also think pinephone has been discussed on the this forum.
You guys do realize this is a Google Pixel 4a, right?

Coja Petrus Uscan

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Zuckerburg can shut down a few Whatsapp servers.

Screenshot-at-2021-01-12-21-00-29.png

I really like SwissCows as a search engine. Have been happy with ProtonMail for years now. Have used a flip phone for a couple of years now, and mainly it just gives you more time to do what you want to do instead of being distracted constantly. Have an old school GPS in the car for when I really need it.

Second the dumping Amazon thing. Just boycott Amazon for life. I have not bought from them about a year or so. They often do not even have the best, or even better prices. It is just for lazy people who do not want to look around. If their sales slump, their stock price could tank. Bezos could make his second career as a bell hop at the nearest Trump hotel.

Coja Petrus Uscan

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Someone who is left leaning just told me their Signal and Telegram has been blowing up with people they've not spoke to in years. She says they are all panicking off Whatsapp. But I'm not sure what is spooking them.

dasher

Woodpecker
Someone who is left leaning just told me their Signal and Telegram has been blowing up with people they've not spoke to in years. She says they are all panicking off Whatsapp. But I'm not sure what is spooking them.

Whatsapp metadata (basically everything except the actual content of the message, which is supposedly encrypted) will soon be fed into the facebook information machine.

Feyoder

Kingfisher
Whatsapp metadata (basically everything except the actual content of the message, which is supposedly encrypted) will soon be fed into the facebook information machine.

If someone writes to me on whatsapp from now on I'm just going to reply on telegram. There are many "red pilled" guys I know using whatsapp exclusively. Very frustrating.