The Decentralized and Alternate Tech Thread

tractor

Woodpecker
Yes but it can just be a burner number.

But the burner number is linked to your identity anyway, isn't? I don't know how it's in the U.S. but in Germany you don't get a sim card without showing your ID.

Isn't using Gab's chat function safer? At least for simple text messaging (no voice or video calls etc.). They don't require a phone number.

tractor

Woodpecker
What do you think they actually have on you? I just assume leave it entirely, to be honest. At this point people who have whatsapp know, and if they are new to different messaging, telegram or signal are both better options.

I think telegram is a good option if you're not using it for such "hot" topics as covid or orange man, which in this day and age are equated to planning a terrorist attack.

I'm good with any WA alternative as long as they don't use my data for online marketing and ad targeting.

For safe "political" messaging, I'd simply use private conversations at chat.gab.com. It's encrypted and even gab can't see it. No phone number attached.

tractor

Woodpecker
Any reason you guys went with Tutanota over Proton? I don't see any earth shattering differences.

There's no particular reason. There're indeed very similar and I use both of them. But I use a free account on Proton. The only "problem" is that their cheapest paid account is 4€/month and tutanota's only 1€.

Stadtaffe

Woodpecker
Gold Member
These kinds of threads are getting a bit strewn around the forum
Home > Forums > Culture > Silicon Valley and technology
Home > Forums > Living > Computing and electronics
..and at risk of getting duplicated, which upsets the more OCD of us ;)
I want to just make the moderator @redbeard aware of that..

I am switching currently to a basic offline not automatically synchronising contacts manager, one of these two:
Please say if anyone knows a linux package which is better than one of those two. A dedicated low-tech contacts manager, not linked to an email program and not from mozilla which although open source is not at all politically neutral and one day it just might steal everything.

There are paper address books but I've had it electronic since the 90s and was only drawn into the clown world when apps on my smartphone stole the contacts information and communicated it to big tech companies. It was wrong when it first happened it still is wrong now and just because the companies are huge does Surveillance capitalism right. For about the last five years I have been too paranoid to even use the contacts section on an Android phone because of this theft of the data. Yes I'm sure for a data scientist there is great fun and profit in analysing who is connected to whom once they get hold of that data, but it does make us the product and I'd rather not feed the monster. Once bitten, twice shy.

These low tech contacts managers will also be good at reminding about birthdays, something I was better at before facebook made me lazier with it years ago. I have of course completely deleted my FB account a while ago. Hope deleting social media accounts does not mean that you are antisocial..

Last edited:

Jünger

Ostrich
The recent alliance of pirate academic library Sci-Hub and a blockchain-based domain name system (DNS) was celebrated by the blockchain community. Now, it’s already over.
Less than two days after registering its domain on Handshake, the distributed network for storing domain names, Sci-Hub founder Alexandra Elbakyan told CoinDesk she discontinued it because of the lack of decentralization.

Sci-Hb gets academic papers out from behind the paywalls of scientific magazines and provides them for free. The project has been exiled from various web domains, as well as the payment service PayPal.

“With Handshake you own it directly with a private key, the way you own bitcoin with a private key,” said HNS user Matthew Zipkin, who built the reference site easyhandshake.com. “As long as you keep that key secure, no one is taking that name from you. … There’s a lot of money and corruption and centralization. The namespace is dominated by ICANN.”

Any reason you guys went with Tutanota over Proton? I don't see any earth shattering differences.
I think its good to keep accounts in both - always have back ups - we know the globalists are going after anything they can't control. And services get bought too. I had a VPN that was good but then was bought by an Israeli firm with a shady background.

JayR

Woodpecker
I think its good to keep accounts in both - always have back ups - we know the globalists are going after anything they can't control. And services get bought too. I had a VPN that was good but then was bought by an Israeli firm with a shady background.
Same here (Private Internet Access). I also used to use the Opera browser, but then they sold out to a Chinese company if I recall correctly. Things change, must be ready to adapt.

PaulC

Robin
I've been using Torguard VPN for a couple years. It seems to function fine. It was recommended to me by an IT security guy as being secure. (I'm hesitant to recommend anything these days because it seems you never know what is really going on with all these companies.)

budoslavic

Owl
Gold Member
As an alternate crowdfunding/fundraising platform, check out LifeFunder.

lfs.png

New Christian fundraising platform aims to remedy censorship on other crowdfunding platforms​

LifeFunder has already had some successful early campaigns.

The Christian news outlet LifeSiteNews has launched LifeFunder, a crowdfunding platform to help “pro-life, pro-family, and other Christian fundraising campaigns” that often get shut down on fundraising platforms such as GoFundMe.

“The purpose, and mission, of LifeFunder is to help bring essential financial assistance to individuals, organizations, and communities that seek to establish the Culture of Life and change our world for the better,” LifeSiteNews said, announcing the launch.

The company claims that the launch of the new crowdfunding platform “comes at a time when Christians and conservatives are facing increased censorship from GoFundMe and other tech giants.”

The site has been live for almost a month.

LifeFunder has already aided the fundraising campaign of Comunidade Jesús Menino (Baby Jesus Community), a Brazilian family of 42 children with severe disabilities adopted by Catholic Priest Tônio Tavarez. The Baby Jesus Community fundraising campaign has raised more than $30,000 so far.

There is also another fundraising campaign for the legal defense of “RS,” a Polish man on life support who a UK court ordered to be switched off.

reclaim-2021-01-22-at-00.26.43-1536x750.png

The LifeFunder platform aims to provide Christians and well-wishers a chance to help and learn more about pro-life initiatives worldwide, without the censorship that has been seen with more mainstream fundraising platforms.