The decline of rock music

Mountaineer

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I've been surfing my extensive music library for older stuff to rekindle the soundtrack of my youth. I picked up Pennywise. More precisely the superb 'Straight Ahead' and 'Land Of The Free' and had a sad reflection. It's amazing how 'rock' music have disappeared completely from popular conciousness. Just twenty years ago the mainstream was awash with Nu Metal and Melodic Hardcore, music that still tried to convey woke message.

Damn the world has changed. Now everything even remotely mainstream is weak bullshit devoid of any value. The current generation is somehow a reflection of this. If coronachan happened two decades ago we would've been sharp enough to give it the middle finger! I'm glad I was hooked on Punk from young age, this certainly taught me to distrust the establishment by default. I miss those days.

Hermetic Seal

Kingfisher
Gold Member
That "active rock" stuff they play on "hard rock" radio stations is just awful. It's a whole genre of music that treats Nickelback like its Magna Carta. It's music for faux tough guys who drive a Jeep with an aftermarket angry grille but get pushed around by chubby Megan girlfriends/wives they call "the boss."

There are plenty of great bands in niche subgenres like shoegaze, dream pop, post-rock, emo and that sort of thing. But they have zero mainstream exposure or popularity. On the plus side, their concerts cost about $20 a ticket.

You can find lots of great bands by listening to stuff like Spotify's "Shoegaze And Beyond" playlist. Lots of artists descended from the style of 90s alternative bands.

In my opinion, rock peaked with the independent artists of the 80s and 90s. I can't stand blues-based, pentatonic guitar lick, classic rock radio stuff for the most part. When rock artists broke out of the blues cage and got more introspective, rock got much more interesting. These bands also tended to eschew (in their music, anyway) the hedonism and degeneracy of classic rock.

lonewolf1992

Woodpecker
Rock music is the new jazz and the guitar is the new sax. People don't give a shit about people who create music with their hands. Machines and computers are the new gods and the operator on top is the one directing the crowd. If not an operator then put a Clown with tattoos with a slutty girl and you get in a nutshell what kids these days aspire to be.

PS: I love Rock

Emancipator

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Rock used to be the foundation for many other "related" genres too.

Even the angsty/emotional youth have shifted from Emo "rock" bands rooted in instrumentals to Emo rappers with soundcloud 808 producers.

LINUX

Ostrich
Gold Member
The thing about most music : christian , modern country , rap , pop is that every song practically says the same thing over and over. Sometimes you find exceptions but mostly it’s all the same. People are out of ideas.

Rock music was never like that. When you wrote a heavy metal song , to write was to sit and bleed. People spoke truth , sung about their sorrows, pain, problems. After the song was over , they didn’t cry and throw a pitty party so the world would feel sorry for them. They gave life , the audience , the angel of death, the middle finger and said F off. Rock musicians always understood the only real enemy we have in life is upstairs.

The genre died , but it lives.

Easy_C

Crow
No. I think rock was bad from the beginning.

Jan Irving's early work (He went off the rails late 2018) was spectacular and revealed that a lot of "deep state" actors were intimately involved with the creation of the rock music industry. Some of those people, such as the lead singer of the Grateful Dead, were willing participants in CIA experiments (https://www.npr.org/2019/09/09/7589...d-control-torture-lsd-and-a-poisoner-in-chief) and other people involved with it have numerous circumstantial connections from Harvard work, while others have openly admitted working for the CIA.

kel

Pelican
Rock ran its course. The good will endure, the good elements have already been incorporated into other music, it'll come back as retro eventually (kinda is already - Phil Collins style stuff has been having a moment the past several years). Let's hope this kind of Billie Eilish shit goes away even quicker.

AnonymousBosch

Crow
Gold Member
Easy_C said:
No. I think rock was bad from the beginning.

Jan Irving's early work (He went off the rails late 2018) was spectacular and revealed that a lot of "deep state" actors were intimately involved with the creation of the rock music industry. Some of those people, such as the lead singer of the Grateful Dead, were willing participants in CIA experiments (https://www.npr.org/2019/09/09/7589...d-control-torture-lsd-and-a-poisoner-in-chief) and other people involved with it have numerous circumstantial connections from Harvard work, while others have openly admitted working for the CIA.

If you listened to Roosh's stream with Jay yesterday, he mentioned Miles Copeland as being a CIA Actor, who openly talked about how pop culture was used to drive social change.

He was REM's first manager, who were huge shills of Leftism / Globalism / Environmentalism in the late 80's / early 90's, fronted by Michael Stipe, an army brat, a gay singer with a badly-kept open secret taste for underage teen boys. Still think the ridiculous flood of attention they got out of the gate was organic, particularly as they never struck me as doing anything The Church hadn't been doing for a couple of years, just with better lyrics.

So why REM?

Once they went into full global fame mode, drummer Bill Berry gradually checked out, with his input from 1992-1996 being much reduced, until he eventually retired from the business all together, and became a farmer. I suspect he couldn't live with himself.

The singer recently has been shilling hard for Extinction Rebellion, appearing on Steve Colbert despite having nothing to promote.

That Mastodon drummer is from another planet.

Discovered a new band called Veni Domine that I'm currently listening to a lot. If Queensryche were Christian and mostly listened to Black Sabbath, Veni Domine is kind of what you'd get.

Only goes to mcdonalds, says all restaurants are turning to shit :D

You have to dig around to find the high cuisine of rock my friend...

There is enough good rock music to be found. You just have to find out what your taste is, find one good band and then start digging from there. See on what labels they got released, see with which other bands they gig etc

Happy hunting!

kel

Pelican
AnonymousBosch said:
The singer recently has been shilling hard for Extinction Rebellion, appearing on Steve Colbert despite having nothing to promote.

He was calling for censoring and deplatforming recently. Maybe he does it often, I doin't know since I don't have Twitter, but I heard about his recent outburst. My friend was telling me about it, and how funny it was some "indie" darling from the 80s was so gung-ho on corporate censorship now.

I think Rock Music was a bit like Hollywood.

In the beginning it was not all subversion, a lot of conservative directors and masculine characters, even if the casting couch was still used the way it was used. Same with Rock, I am sure it was hijacked at some point, but the 90s were very pleasant. It was the genre that was played on the radio almost as much as the softer stuff. They were degenerate for their time, but still very sensible artists by modern standards. MTV stuck to showing music mostly and not today's cultural cancer.

Many of these rock fans of the 80s and 90s ended up decent parents. This won't be happening with the current androgenic weirdos.

What totally annihilated creativity and freedom was the introduction of mp3 and the digitalization of the recording process. All the money went to the Record Labels. As for the radio stations, we know who controls pop. They would not sign anyone new and creative randomly.

Hermetic Seal

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Interesting perspective Bitter End, but I'd argue almost the opposite.

The early days of rock seem far more degenerate and oriented around drugs, sexual revolution, and general rebellious hedonism. And while that continued in things like glam rock and some big-name artists, over time you had "rock" artists emerge in the 80s and 90s for whom the "rock" aesthetic was just the cultural background around which their music generally fit. Bands like Explosions In The Sky or The Hotelier have basically nothing in common with rock's origins aside from the guitar/bass/drums around which it's performed. And at least for me, I like that.

MP3s and digital recording are actually the *best* thing that's ever happened for music because now, just about anybody with a pinch of motivation can get their music out there. If not for the role of technology I would never have discovered most of my favorite artists today. This revolution complete de-powered the stranglehold that big labels had on music and made it easy for broke, part-time artists to get their music out. The tech revolution ruined mainstream radio music, but it's been great for subgenres and independent artists. It does demand some effort to figure out what you like, it's unlikely you'll find your new favorite artists on the radio - but the fact that radio and big labels no longer have hegemony over our musical consciousness is only a good thing.

Rotten

Robin
Rock was deliberately killed off soon after the telecommunications act of 1997 placed the entire music industry in the hands of the 6-7 media conglomerates.

Why was it killed off? For (((reasons))), or just because rock music is more expensive to produce and the new rock bands pushed in big media circa1996-2002 (The rap/rock hybrid era) didn’t hit with the general public.

Yeah I was looking more at how rock and metal banished from the mainstream ever since the Neo Metal thingy expired. Yes, we can chase our favourite underground acts all over the place and crowdfund them directly, but the days of hearing something on the radio and wanting to find out more about it are gone.

The mainstream people will be lost forever or go for more degenerate acts such as Billy Ellish or whatnot. A lot of the trendy stuff was rock in the 90s. Now the things that pass as rock are more "polished" than Madonna in the 80s.

Uzisuicide

Woodpecker
Gold Member
I disagree somewhat with some opinions here. After Kirk Cobain, rock music DID become a pity party. Songs were about not being able to fit in to society, suicide and self loarhing. Although those types of songs were always part of the genre, they completely saturated it after Cobain. The hair band days of: "Girls, Girls, Girls", "We're Not Gonna Take It" and "Nothin' But a Good Time" were replaced by "I Hate Myself and Want To Die."

Weanwhile hip hop and rap videos were showing guys with bling throwing money out of convertables with hookers humping their leg. Rock music is in a rebuilding phase and has been for some time now.

Towgunner

Woodpecker
There is something going on with music, not just with the rock genre. There seems to be other forces at work beneath the surface influencing trends and fads across the cultural spectrum. For me, I've seen enough of this arbitrary influence to move beyond suspicion and to accept it as fact that we are living in what I describe as a "managed culture". And this is disturbing, but, I'd go farther and say its actually chilling.

You would think the market would ultimately determine cultural outcomes, tastes, affinities, fads and trends. And it does or it is capable of doing so, but, a large part of this cohort of people are gullible and simple automatons who mindlessly consume. All they need to be is lead to a trough. This "influence" exploits this and leads to trough.

When one looks behind the curtain of the music industry, you'll see that over the years it has gone from being less of an appeal to the consumer and more of a directing of the consumer. Much of this is leveraging, as I understand it, the corporatization of the industry, for instance, using the established distribution and marketing channels. We all know about how the media is controlled by 5 large corporations. In effect, what happens is "music" is rammed through these channels, which have become ubiquitous. How can an independent garage band ever compete with such a behemoth? They can't, of course.

What that means is a common person will end of hearing this content. It is unavoidable, especially in a metropolitan area. It also means that they hear only a certain pallet of music, for we cannot hear more than one thing, typically at a time. This is why music today can be so terrible, yet, somehow its produced by an otherwise for profit entity. It also acts to disseminate specific cultural messages and political agendas that are almost always unpopular, bizarre and perverse. After all, if they're able to get away selling you on junk then they can inject their personal politics into it as well. That's why you have garage by "lorde" being played, who is largely on the scene only because she's a lesbian.

All of this is not good, but, in as much as it is large overbearing well funded (for now) and entrenched, ultimately the model is unsustainable. And this goes for the "managed culture" in general. Phillip Phillips and the rest that come from this conveyor belt of performers via "the voice" is only producing the same thing over and over. I find such music to be intolerable. There is no originality at work, nor, can we expect any such innovation to occur when our music is literally picked by a committee.

People do demand novelty and that hasn't happened in our culture for many years. And so, there is a growing desire for that and it will only grow stronger. Today's culture managers stifle such novelty for a variety of reasons, one being political for sure. Moreover, the established distribution channels so necessary for this cultural slop to be fed to us are undergoing structural disruption. This is happening across the spectrum.

The web renders such channels obsolete. Consider radio where most of the distribution (ramming) occurs. It is a fixed spectrum of only so many stations. This means it can, over time, become consolidated and the consolidator, a large media company, can use economies of scale to always out bid any independent upstart. And when said indy upstart is lucky enough to get a piece and even grow in popularity, eventually, its bought out by the large company. The item to understand here is the finite spectrum. Alternatively, the web has no limits to its "spectrum". Dot coms are infinite, there is no limit here and therefore it will be very hard for a large company to consolidate, at least the way they used too. This also engenders an environment where it is a lot easier for a new independent entrant to get started.

This is why they're so desperately trying to control the web. Its not all good, it can very easily go the other way and it just may. There are controllers of the web, like Google, facebook and youtube, that regardless of the expanse of the web have, nonetheless, been able to consolidate and are pulling the same antics they did previously i.e. interjecting their politics and managing culture. But, as we see, it necessitates a certain condition and that is censorship.

Censorship is an act of desperation. Its when an opposing side has lost and has no other choice but to try to conceal the winning side. It is inherently authoritarian, as we can all attest too.

Time will tell how this battle is won. But, I can tell you that people want authentic Italian cooking from a neighborhood restaurant in the North End of Boston and not friggin Olive Garden. We desire the same thing from our arts too. And "lorde" or "phillips phillip" are to music as olive garden is to food.

This was an excellent video from PJW back when he was at his best. The segment from Frank Zappa ist the best at explaining the change and the consolidation of the producers.

Btw few things would make me more antisemitic than listening to the Maroon 5 muppet.