The decline of rock music

stugatz

Pelican
Creed's song "My Own Prison" is really powerful IMO. Also Jars of Clay is an extremely good band.

I listened to a lot of heavy music since I was a teenager. Now that I have come back to Christ I do feel like kind of bad about some of the stuff I listened to, especially the really heavy and aggressive stuff. I definitely limit it more than I used to.
As much as do make fun of Creed, I like the songs "Higher" and "One Last Breath". I don't think they're a group that I'd get a greatest hits of - like ELO, I'll probably just buy a couple of tracks and work them into my massive shuffle list.

(Not to change the subject here, but if anyone on this thread likes ELO, tell me why - I've actually met some dedicated fans. All of their songs sound alike, "Evil Woman" almost sounds exactly like "Sweet Talkin' Woman". I also say this as an AC/DC fan - but when their songs all sounded the same, it was in a good way. Somehow.)

Maddox

Robin
(Not to change the subject here, but if anyone on this thread likes ELO, tell me why - I've actually met some dedicated fans. All of their songs sound alike, "Evil Woman" almost sounds exactly like "Sweet Talkin' Woman". I also say this as an AC/DC fan - but when their songs all sounded the same, it was in a good way. Somehow.)

I'm not a huge ELO fan but I recognize them as a very talented band. However, I find it hard to connect with their music. Not sure why.

I will admit though to really liking "Last Train To London." Yes, their disco hit. It's the only ELO song that you will find on my playlist.

stugatz

Pelican
I'm not a huge ELO fan but I recognize them as a very talented band. However, I find it hard to connect with their music. Not sure why.

I will admit though to really liking "Last Train To London." Yes, their disco hit. It's the only ELO song that you will find on my playlist.
Yeah, they're catchy but don't exactly move you - in fact, they're one of the most lightweight bands I can name off the top of my head, like The Cars. They're just sort of fun and extremely forgettable.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
(if this hasn't already been posted) Take the Christian musical history pill.

As a side note, I find the use of the Sign of the Horns by the crowd an odd choice, but understand it's more cultural than symbolic.
Ronnie James Dio, largely credited with popularizing that gesture (though Gene Simmons tries to take credit for it), said it’s something his grandmother used to do to “ward off the evil eye” and wasn’t actually devil horns. Whether that’s true is anyone’s guess.

stugatz

Pelican
Ronnie James Dio, largely credited with popularizing that gesture (though Gene Simmons tries to take credit for it), said it’s something his grandmother used to do to “ward off the evil eye” and wasn’t actually devil horns. Whether that’s true is anyone’s guess.
Italians make that same hand gesture to mean "motherf___er", sometimes saying it when they make it (like the middle finger).

I don't know if the devil horns hand sign has any connection to that gesture - but it can't have just been plucked out of thin air.