The decline of rock music

Zep

Kingfisher
Yesterday I turned the radio on to a classic rock station, I haven't listened to radio in years. A classic rock song was playing, it was Chicagos' "25 Or 6 To 4", what I noticed was the singer was clear, the horns were clear, the guitars were clear, this was made in 1970 I think. The point of the tune was clear. Then a modern pop band like Greenday came on, the vocals were in stereo, they weren't clear, it was like a production smear, then Joan Jett came on, it kicked butt, lots of energy and spirit, it sounded better than it does here ...

I enjoyed the Joan Jett. It was fun, her vocal track wasn't a stereo smear like a lot of modern production.

'The decline' assumes it had an apex, yet I don't believe something as short lived as 'rock' music has ever reached some cultural zenith like classical music. Sure, the mob and media will make you believe otherwise ('Rock & Roll HALL OF FAME', 'Greatest Hits', 'Oldies' and yet its all less than a century old...hmm....). 'Rock' music could be argued to have originated with blues music and African blues, but were still talking less than 100 years. If you want to talk about the 'decline' of something, mention the decline of art and music in general. 'Rock' has never been bourgeois and has always been an escapist form of rebellion as is most music and art forms. Personally I believe if the music doesn't praise the divine or God in some way it's basically worthless. Just my two cents on the matter. I don't believe something deserves to be in 'decline' when it was never worthy of being praised as a high point in human history in the first place. Shows how absorbed with the modern era people have become.

I remember the emo thing starting to get huge in the early 2000s. I think that was the point where the US mainstream stopped making rock n roll that could be consumed by the "cool" crowd in high school. That left country and rap if you were a stereotypical jock.

Back to the punk rock side. Your suspects are Epitaph Records and Fat Wreck Chords. Epitaph owned/started by the very Jewish bassist for Bad Religion. Fat Wreck Chords owned by the very Jewish Fat Mike of NOFX. If you doubt their agendas, wonder why Bad Religion is Anti-Christian but not anti-semitic? Seems weird for a band that thinks religion is ruinin
This is actually very interesting and something I did not know.
We're probably around the same age. I was more into the Lookout Records bands (Screeching Weasel, Queers, etc.), which was probably the 3rd biggest US punk label in the 90s. I know Lookout was started by a homosexual who has been accused of peado tendencies by some of the bands who were around at the time.
Funny to look back on the types of people feeding my teenage self "culture."

Dr. Howard

Peacock
Gold Member
I remember the emo thing starting to get huge in the early 2000s. I think that was the point where the US mainstream stopped making rock n roll that could be consumed by the "cool" crowd in high school. That left country and rap if you were a stereotypical jock.

This is actually very interesting and something I did not know.
We're probably around the same age. I was more into the Lookout Records bands (Screeching Weasel, Queers, etc.), which was probably the 3rd biggest US punk label in the 90s. I know Lookout was started by a homosexual who has been accused of peado tendencies by some of the bands who were around at the time.
Funny to look back on the types of people feeding my teenage self "culture."

Great, someone who knows details. Screeching Weasel still exists and was 'blacklisted' when its frontman Ben Weasel announced that he was conservative and didn't care for how punk bands now were automatically aligned with democrats. Some of their newer songs touch on these points. The newer music isn't great, but his counter points are. Its now turned into the equivalent of a 'rap beef'.

I mostly listen to classic rock and country these days, so I'm hesitant to bring up any newer bands. I don't really know what's hip and what's lame. That said, I really like Booze and Glory, even if I find the idea of a skinhead persona these days to be a bit like putting on a Halloween costume. The songs are really catchy.

Great, someone who knows details. Screeching Weasel still exists and was 'blacklisted' when its frontman Ben Weasel announced that he was conservative and didn't care for how punk bands now were automatically aligned with democrats. Some of their newer songs touch on these points. The newer music isn't great, but his counter points are. Its now turned into the equivalent of a 'rap beef'.
Yeah, I still check in on what Ben Weasel and Joe Queer are doing from time to time because those were my two favorite bands when I was in high school. I remember Ben converting to Catholicism some years back. Didn't his excommunication come from throwing a drink or glass or ice or something like that at a female concert attendee? I'm sure his more conservative direction in life (not that he ever came across as some sort of stereotypical leftist punk) didn't win him any favors when that controversy went down. I know LGBTQ activists are trying to shut down Queers shows these days because they allege Joe is racist and his songs are misogynistic. I read something about him supporting the cop who shot Michael Brown. Not sure if he did anything else. Joe was always a contrarian motherfucker who didn't play nice, so I'm sure he's making a point to try and piss off the kids.

I was inspired to go look up what some of those 90s Epitaph bands look like these days.
Pennywise :squintlol:

Bad Religion :oops:

NoFX:hmm:

Rancid (These guys actually didn't age badly. And they kind of look how 50 yr old rockers probably should look.)

Last edited:
Rock was too white and had to be killed.

Music to the elites and the jews serves two purposes: glorify violence and blacks and getting white girls to slut it up.

Rock, in particular the heavier rock, was always too rebellious, too introspective, too intelligent, too angry. It was, as studies show, the gateway drug to classical and we all know that liking classical is anti-semittic.

Towgunner

Woodpecker
The decline of rock music is sad because there is no decent substitute. Music today is more like "music". A carefully crafted risk adjusted equation meant for mass production and mass appeal to the top of the bell curve. Optimized return on investment is all that matters. Its both disappointing and perplexing. For after all, music is meant to be enjoyed. If "music" of today is anything it is just good enough for a reliable and sizable population to consume. And that's what is so disappointing...its only ever going to be "just good enough".

These old titans of rock we're the proverbial rock stars because they were never just good enough. The things that made rock so great were novelty, independence, creativity...but none of those things will satisfy a board of directors. Besides the probability you will back the next Led Zeppelin is close to zero. Much better to stick to the game plan. The model works. Create a melody that and ensemble that is within parameters of most people's aesthetic (which is not much at all) and ram it through a well oil distribution channel. That's why there is utterly no difference between "music" today and from "music" 20 years ago.

Worse still is the insistence to mix in political messages. It adds insult to injury. Not only are we confined to what a stuffy BOD thinks we should listen too we have to listen to their personal political ramblings as well.

Peacock
Gold Member
Rock was too white and had to be killed.

Music to the elites and the jews serves two purposes: glorify violence and blacks and getting white girls to slut it up.

Agree, the agenda is very clear.

Rock, in particular the heavier rock, was always too rebellious, too introspective, too intelligent, too angry. It was, as studies show, the gateway drug to classical and we all know that liking classical is anti-semittic.

Disagree, the rebellion they've fostered is vacuous and anti-traditionalist right from the start, it only seems better because objectively speaking, the musical quality was much better, but the message was always toxic, even though it seems more benign by today's standards, but that is only because there has been a constant, steady degradation so the social programming from a generation or two ago looks benign on the surface, compared to the current Cardi Bs and gangster rap fare. The reason why you have Conchita Wurst today is because you had David Bowie 45 years ago.

"Fighting the Man" is about turning young people into useful idiots co-opted to destroy their healthy culture, turning against their religion, their families and their traditional Christian values, and ironically all of this is promoted by "the Man". The Grateful Dead, Zepplin, Bowie, The Beatles, Stones, Madonna, NIN, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bad Religion etc - all these people were hardcore mason/satanists into cabbalistic Crowleyan occult whose mission was to destroy Chistianity and traditional society. Once you understand this, you realize that modern paganism is not just a dead end, but the goal pushed by these cabbalistic cultural change agents.

burnersec

This is a weird point in time where there is probably more music available than ever before (rock, metal, any genre), but finding it is the trick. The radio stations are completely homogenous, and you'd think rock died 20 years ago listening to any local rock station. The streaming services, for all their faults, at least for now can provide a window into all the new tunes that are coming out there, but you have to have some place to start for the recommendations to start being useful.

Of course, that starts to lean on an algorithm, probably programmed by people who hate you, but for now it's amazing how much Good Stuff is out there and still being made.

Hermetic Seal

Kingfisher
Gold Member
With something like Spotify you can go to an artist you like, click the "About" tab, and see "Discovered On" on the right side, where you'll see a list of playlists where their songs are featured. This can be a great way to find other artists similar to the ones you already like.

Some playlists on Spotify where I find good stuff:

Shoegaze & Beyond (Shoegaze, Dream Pop, Indie Rock)
Retrowave / Outrun (Synthwave)
Calm Before The Storm (Post-Rock)
And Upon This Rock (Christian alternative and post-hardcore)

Peacock
Gold Member
Pop music ;-)

The whole metal genre, including "death metal", is satanist. It is in fact the most blatantly satanist popular music genre, while the "hard rock" genre which preceded it was slightly less blatant about it, with acts like "Alice Cooper", Black Sabath, Pantera, KISS, and the cult around the trans satanist Rocky Horror Picture Show.

In the early 1990s, many Norwegian black-metallers presented themselves as genuine Devil worshippers.[304] Mayhem's Euronymous was the key figure behind this.[299] They attacked the Church of Satan for its "freedom and life-loving" views;[305] the theistic Satanism they espoused was an inversion of Christianity. Benjamin Hedge Olson wrote that they "transform[ed] Venom's quasi-Satanic stage theatrics into a form of cultural expression unique from other forms of metal or Satanism" and "abandoned the mundane identities and ambitions of other forms of metal in favor of religious and ideological fanaticism".[299] Some prominent scene members—such as Euronymous and Faust[24][63]—stated that only bands who are Satanists can be called 'black metal'. Bands with a Norwegian style, but without Satanic lyrics, tended to use other names for their music.[257][287][288] This view is still held by many artists—such as Infernus,[306] Arioch,[307] Nornagest and Erik Danielsson.[308] Some bands, like the reformed Dissection[139][141] and Watain,[309] insist that all members must be of the same Satanic belief, whereas Michael Ford of Black Funeral[116] and MkM of Antaeus[310] believe black metal must be Satanic but not all band members need to be Satanists.

Pop is not a complete cesspool though, you have non-"infected" national, organic musical genres like the Mods, BritPop, which celebrated British and European middle class culture and had high esthetic standards, with band members being well-groomed, and masculine without being brutish, while the women were very feminine and well-dressed without being slutty.

Imported biker-thug "Rockers" above vs. homegrown Mods below. Note that mod culture celebrated British culture while being inclusive, the music partly drawing on Motown.

You also have very high quality German pop like Kraftwerk, who built a whole new genre of electronic pop fusing early/mid 20th century German technological culture with a classical German music, composing the kind of music that Bach would have made were he born in the 20th century:

Before them, German and continental pop figures looked and dressed like hippies, influenced by Anglo-American imported Boomer pop programming. They got rid of that, and were very well-groomed, clean-cut and clean-shaven, and had their pictures and cover art done by top portraitists in the style of their parents and grandparents:

They were the first Boomers who turned their backs on Boomer culture, embracing instead continental European culture, drawing as much on Schubert and Bach as on Ohm, Hertz or Röntgen. Their music not only created several new genres (techno, synth-pop, new wave etc), but also celebrated Vienna cafes, German forests and nature, great European cities and boulevards, castles, autobahns and German cars.

It's the kind of music that elevated you like Bach's music did, but also made you want to study math, read Kant or become an engineer, as opposed to "dropping out" and becoming a self-marginalizing drug saddled hippie/headbanger/angry punk* zombie.

Europe Endless
Kraftwerk Lyrics

Europe endless
Endless endless endless endless
Parks, hotels and palaces
Europe endless
Parks, hotels and palaces
Europe endless
Promenades and avenues
Europe endless
Real life and postcard views
Europe endless...

*"punk" was the term for inmates who took it up you know what in jail slang.

Rocha

Ostrich
Gold Member
No other form of modern art can achieve the greatness that some Heavy Metal bands reached.
Poetry, complexity, pure energy....

Quite up to date.

Along deserted avenues
Steam begins to rise
The figures primed and ready
Prepared for quick surprise
He's watchin' for a sign
His life is on the line
Dogs whine in the alleys
Smoke is on the wind
From deep inside its empty shell
A cathedral bell begins to toll