The Decline of Society is mainly due to Technology

Rob Banks

Pelican
How about a church? Society is fractal, the difference is scale. Scale up the church and you have your model. Even RVF serves as an example of a technologically-advanced society with proper controls. We're Christians and we're using computers and the internet to talk about God, Christ, and things of that nature. We're not exchanging naughty pics like so many other communities on the internet do. Are we sinning by using RVF?
OK, but how many people are using the Internet to talk about God, and how many are using it to darken their souls? There is no comparison.

And, also, and perhaps more importantly how often is the Internet used by those with power to control society, but in the wrong direction (an example of this would be the mass data storage which is then used for all sorts of nefarious purposes)?

Again, there is no comparison.

How do you suppose we go about changing it so that more people use the Internet to talk about God, and less people use it for bad things?

There is no way to do this, outside of a Nazi Germany-level of regimentation and control. And even that would not work, because it would be conquered by Liberal powers (Nazi Germany itself is a perfect exame of this).

Elipe

Pelican
OK, but how many people are using the Internet to talk about God, and how many are using it to darken their souls? There is no comparison.
The Internet doesn't darken your soul, your use of it reflects the dark state of your soul. To our God, committing adultery with 1000 women is as bad as committing adultery with one. The scale or intensity of the sin doesn't change the fact that it is still sin, and the Lord will forgive you in both cases.

And, also, and perhaps more importantly how often is the Internet used by those with power to control society, but in the wrong direction (an example of this would be the mass data storage which is then used for all sorts of nefarious purposes)?
This is not an argument against the Internet, in the same way that the early 20th century Soviet Union is not an argument against government. The application of a thing is not the thing. The Soviet Union had nearly total control over its citizens, and it did this without the Internet.

How do you suppose we go about changing it so that more people use the Internet to talk about God, and less people use it for bad things?

There is no way to do this, outside of a Nazi Germany-level of regimentation and control. And even that would not work, because it would be conquered by Liberal powers (Nazi Germany itself is a perfect exame of this).
By spreading the Gospel. The only way you will ever fix this world is by converting people to Christ. Everything ties back to Jesus Christ. This is why as Christians, our prime directive is to make disciples of every nation, every tribe, every tongue. Righteousness can only exist in Jesus Christ, never apart from Him.

Arguing over worldly things is completely moot. In the grand scope of things, you don't change anything by banning technology. It is not what goes into a man's mouth that makes him unclean, but what comes out of his heart.

Rob Banks

Pelican
By spreading the Gospel. The only way you will ever fix this world is by converting people to Christ. Everything ties back to Jesus Christ. This is why as Christians, our prime directive is to make disciples of every nation, every tribe, every tongue. Righteousness can only exist in Jesus Christ, never apart from Him.
And you think it was merely coincidence that atheism, lack of faith, and sinful attitudes and behavior have grown and spread tremendously as a result of technology?

Rob Banks

Pelican
The Internet doesn't darken your soul, your use of it reflects the dark state of your soul. To our God, committing adultery with 1000 women is as bad as committing adultery with one. The scale or intensity of the sin doesn't change the fact that it is still sin, and the Lord will forgive you in both cases.
I'm not saying that you specifically (or anyone else, for that matter) are sinning by using technology.

I am saying that technology leads to -- and will always lead to -- a more sinful and less holy society, regardless of what you yourself do on an individual level.

Elipe

Pelican
And you think it was merely coincidence that atheism, lack of faith, and sinful attitudes and behavior have grown and spread tremendously as a result of technology?
The development of technology, as a consequence of the scientific method, accelerated due to the presence of Christianity. Christianity made the development of science as an institution possible. In that light, your error becomes apparent: technology is not the direct cause of atheism, for then we must conclude that God directly caused atheism by blessing us. Now, why would God do the very thing that works against His purpose - reconciling the world to Him?

The answer is simple. God blesses people, and then people become hard of heart and arrogant because they begin to incorrectly ascertain their material wealth to themselves rather than to God's blessings. Thus, technology causes atheism in exactly the same way that an ancient Mesopotamian farmer becomes an atheist or pagan on account of God blessing him with a large flock of cattle.

God blesses people because God wants to show us that He loves us and that He appreciates our obedience, our love, and our faithfulness. Yet, God does this even knowing that blessing us materially tends to lead to hardness of heart. He knows that when He gives us comfort, we falsely claim it is our confidence. When He gives us wealth, we falsely claim that it was by our skill that we became rich. When He gives us wives, we become drunken adulterers.

Yet, He doesn't simply just allow us to suffer on Earth for our whole lives. He could've left Job destitute, but He didn't. He blessed Job ten-fold over what he originally had before he was afflicted.

I am saying that technology leads to -- and will always lead to -- a more sinful and less holy society, regardless of what you yourself do on an individual level.
No. Technology produces wealth, which is what leads to more sinfulness and impiousness. Yet, piety is an important element of what produces wealth, as piety brings God's blessings, which causes one to become wealthy and thus more liable to impiousness. The obvious conclusion is that if we can couple wealth to charity, then we can and ought to couple technology, a driver of wealth, to charity and holy ministry.

Also, I was personally visited by Jesus Christ Himself, who told me to become a computer scientist. God is not a Luddite.

Blade Runner

Ostrich
Orthodox
You are technically correct (individual level) but empirically incorrect (what we see regarding "humanity"). That's the impasse here. As I said before, it is God's providence to allow demons to tempt us and do all manner of evil crap in the world, or convince humans to do such things. Just as it is rather arbitrary to call it "blessing us" when tech helps us materially, because he's "blessing us" by allowing us to be tested by demons, to show our mettle and love, discipline, etc in a similar way. I don't have a problem with any of it and I am not blaming anyone nor am I excusing anyone. I am OK with reality and accept it, and I accept it that God has deemed this OK in the meantime.

I'm just saying, we are who we are, God knows that tech eventually would lead us to the mark and transhumanism, or whatever is going to happen, and he's fine with it and so am I. But let's not talk about it as if it is good or even amoral on a population level (it clearly isn't, mine and others points here) since we all know where it is headed and we know the story. I am content and appreciate the joy I've gotten out of some things in life that perhaps have led me astray otherwise (material benefits) but have this awareness that while they may be a "blessing" if looked at in a certain light, they can easily looked at as curses too. That's all.

Elipe

Pelican
God knows that tech eventually would lead us to the mark and transhumanism
Correction: God knows that the prince of this world would use technology, like he uses everything else, to lead us to the Mark and transhumanism.

The fact that the devil uses something does not make that thing inherently evil.

Viktor Zeegelaar

Ostrich
Orthodox Inquirer
The problem with technology is that with all things in the world it gets corrupted at some point. It gets steered by those who have the power and influence to steer it and sadly we know that the direction things are steered in is not one that is beneficial for us. Besides the obvious control mechanisms that technology provides for, and that we know of, imagine the possibilities they already have at DARPA and their other secret technology research agencies which are decades ahead of what we know, I think that the most destructive element of modern day technology is its distraction. It's wired in such a way, psychologists heavily involved, that it is as addictive as alcohol or drugs. It limits the attentionspan through continuous beeps, red colors and limited timespans (tictoc 10 seconds), it feeds into pride and the willingness of aproval, makes people compare themselves continuously with one another, provides a status rat race and with the smartphone ensures you're never at peace. Imagine this for yourself, how often do you sit at a place without any technology bothering you, whether it is a smartphone, music, a laptop? Not much.