The Dream Team Is Praying For You

Roosh

Cardinal
Orthodox
Originally posted on RooshV.com

dream-team-1024x576.jpg

So you’ve chosen to live in the eternal Kingdom of God and commune with Him for all eternity. Congratulations, you’ve made a wise decision. You’re ready to live a life in Christ, to carry your Cross, and to love God above things of this world, but there is an obstacle in your path: Satan. You may have chosen for God, but Satan has chosen to own your soul, and you must overcome the crafty tricks of him and his legions before entering Paradise. Thankfully, there is a “dream team” that will help you in the face of attacks you can’t overcome with your own power and strength.

The dream team was the name for the 1992 United States men’s Olympic basketball team. I was 13 years old at the time, and was able to marvel at the assemblage of the best players of basketball lore into one team. Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing, Scottie Pippen and others were destined to crush their enemies, take home the gold, and make the country proud. And they did just that. They defeated Venezuela in the gold medal game by 47 points. I experienced one or two minutes of bliss at their victory before my dopamine lowered and life returned to normal.

To ensure Satan does not take our soul, God the Father has assigned a dream team to each one of us. As part of his divine plan, He wants us to lean upon not just Himself and His Son for the salvation of our souls, but also saints and angelic beings. They all comprise the dream team of salvation, and the Christian who calls upon them will be rewarded with aid in the face of temptation and despair. Who is on the roster of this divine dream team?

Lord Jesus Christ – Our Savior, the Son of God, who lived on this earth as fully human while remaining fully divine. He did not use his divine powers to escape suffering, and all the physical pain he experienced was how we would experience pain, providing us an example of how we can take the Kingdom without remaining one with this world.

The Mother of God, the Theotokos – Ever-virgin Mary, the Mother of God, is the most pure and sinless human who has ever lived. She deserves honor because she could have sinned but didn’t, and for her incredible faith in God, and for her endurance to suffer beneath the cross as her beloved Son was crucified, God has assigned her an eminent role in the salvation of man. The Orthodox venerate her as the speedy intercessor of man who regularly answers our prayers through her Son. Without the powerful prayers of the Theotokos in such an evil age, can one even be saved?

Guardian angel – At baptism, an angel was assigned to watch over you and protect you. He prays beside you while you pray. He guards you against demonic attacks. He tells you to look to the right while driving to avoid a catastrophic accident. How many millions of car accidents alone have guardian angels prevented? Without them, so many souls would have perished before they were ready.

Patron saint – When we approach the chalice every Sunday, the priest addresses a prayer to us not in our worldly name but in our baptismal name, which derives from one of God’s saints, a holy ascetic, a teacher of the faith, a confessor, or a martyr, from someone who lived in this world like we did but has received glory from God and serves unquestionably at His right hand. Our patron saint prays for us, and may be one of the first persons we see when we enter Paradise.

collection-of-orthodox-saints.jpg

Helper saint – There is a saint you may have developed a close relationship with that is not your patron saint. He or she may be a recent saint, one who lived in similar times as you, one who has experienced the problems you are going through and how to overcome them. You may even have access to the saint’s relics, and be able to feel the grace of his or her sanctified body. God assigns this saint as a helper or guardian, to keep a close watch over you, to give you help when you need it most, to open the floodgates of your eyes to shed the tears of repentance that are needed to purify your soul.

Other saints and angels – How many angels are busy working to save those who want to be saved? How many saints are there in heaven? There are a dozen saints I regularly venerate, who each time I ask them to pray for me, they humbly turn to God and exclaim, “Lord have mercy on your servant Darius!” And it’s this mercy I receive every day as I carry my cross, as I try to surmount the passion of my flesh and the attacks from the demons, to one day approach the Theotokos, the gate of salvation, and be greeted by all the saints to whom I prayed for assistance before being ushered to the throne of God.

In the Kingdom of Heaven the holy Saints look upon the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ; but through the Holy Spirit they see too the sufferings of men on earth. The Lord gave them such great grace that they embrace the whole world with their love. They see and know how we languish in affliction, how our hearts have withered within us, how despondency has fettered our souls, and they never cease to intercede for us with God.

The Saints rejoice when we repent, and grieve when men forsake God and become like unto brute beasts. They grieve to see people living on earth and not knowing that if they were to love one another the world would know freedom from sin; and where sin is absent there is joy and gladness of the Holy Spirit, in such wise that on all side everything is pleasing, and the soul marvels that all is so well with her, and praises God. —Wisdom From Mount Athos by Archimandrite Sophrony

There is no need to despair in this life, because you have a dream team in heaven that is watching you every day, that is watching you right now, and their victory will not merely bring one minute of bliss like with a sportsball match, but an eternity of bliss as we behold the beautiful countenance of God. Saints in heaven exist in the Holy Spirit, and can see what God sees, and with God’s will they have the power to do what God can do, and they want you to be saved as they were saved. They won’t violate your freedom or manipulate you into performing the good, but if you give them consent to help save your soul, they will help save it, as they are helping me.

Three years ago I was in the pit of despair, and Lord Jesus Christ lifted me up, and the Theotokos dusted me off, and my guardian angel gave me new clothes, and my patron saint brushed my hair, and my helper saint gave me a detailed map of the path I must embark on, and the other saints gave me water and food and encouraged me, telling me that I can do it as long as I live in accordance with God’s will, and so with map in hand, armed with their prayers at each step I take, I continue the journey, knowing that I’m not alone. May God bless the dream teams of all his servants and handmaidens.

Read Next: How To Live A Simple Life

Kentucky Gent

Sparrow
Catholic
Amen, brother! I have 101 human saints whom I ask to pray for me over the course of a week - 14 saints for each different day of the week. Plus my patron saint, St. Peter the Apostle, plus The Blessed Virgin and St. Joseph, Terror of Demons.

This is not counting St. Michael the Archangel, to whom Catholics pray frequently.

DelMarMisty

Woodpecker
Woman
Orthodox
Great writing. The last paragraph was very beautiful. Can someone share how they pray to saints? How do you start, what is some wording you use? Also, where can you find which saints are for what needs?

ItsK

Pigeon
Woman
Catholic
Saint Peter is actually my friend! I never believed all this saint stuff growing up, even though I grew up Catholic. I always figured, who in heaven would love me more than God himself? What's the point of getting someone else to intercede?

Anyways, what happened was that I read somewhere that Padre Pio would pray for his grandfather to die a good death because prayers work across time. So I started praying for Padre Pio every day because his writings were so helpful to me.

One day, Saint Peter tells me to pray for him as well. I never thought about him before this. In fact, I used to kind of make fun of him every time I read the Bible because he was such a silly guy. (Now I understand his deep humility, that this is how he chose to talk about himself in the gospels - he is a far holier guy than any of us can aspire to be) But since he told me to pray for him, I start praying for Padre Pio and St. Peter every day. A while later, I had my second child and I was getting seriously depressed staying home all day by myself with 2 kids under 2. And I would obviously complain in my prayers every day because I have the emotional maturity of a toddler. One day, I was crying and I hear St. Peter say, don't worry about things so much, (my name). God will surely answer you, I even asked for you to pray for me. 2 weeks later, Coronavirus hits Canada and my husband works from home full time now. Anyways, I consider St. Peter to be my very good friend and I still pray for him every day.

Padre Pio also helped me. My grandfather (the only one I knew), died shortly after I started praying for Padre Pio. He was in good health and the day before he died, he went out to brunch with my grandmother and spent all day shopping with her. Anyways, he sat down on his rocking chair in the morning, went to sleep, and never woke up. He died a very good death, so thank you very much Padre Pio.

Last edited:

Tom Slick

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Can someone share how they pray to saints? How do you start, what is some wording you use?
"Mother Mary, I beg that you will pray to intercede on my behalf to help me to _______,"
Or to help my: mother, friend, priest, etc., to _______ ."

There are many excellent prayers that are published by Orthodox Christian Saints and clergy, but it is also common to use your own words, probably the simpler the better.

Also, where can you find which saints are for what needs?
At a proper Orthodox church. The church is the body of Christ and provides the instruction and guidance to do these things.

Roosh also wrote about it here.

Callixtus

Robin
Catholic
Great writing. The last paragraph was very beautiful. Can someone share how they pray to saints? How do you start, what is some wording you use? Also, where can you find which saints are for what needs?

Catholics have a book called the Raccolta full of specific prayers to each member of the Trinity, the Holy Family, the Angels and the Saints. Perhaps there is a similar book for Orthodox. Or maybe you could just use the Raccolta as well, most (if not all, it's an old book) of the Saints will be the same and if not you could just omit the ones not canonized in the East.

I use it very often and have developed new devotions to many Angels and Saints.

messaggera

Pelican
Woman
Other Christian
Three years ago I was in the pit of despair, and Lord Jesus Christ lifted me up, and the Theotokos dusted me off, and my guardian angel gave me new clothes, and my patron saint brushed my hair, and my helper saint gave me a detailed map of the path I must embark on, and the other saints gave me water and food and encouraged me, telling me that I can do it as long as I live in accordance with God’s will, and so with map in hand, armed with their prayers at each step I take, I continue the journey, knowing that I’m not alone. May God bless the dream teams of all his servants and handmaidens.

It is good to give thanks to the Lord
And to sing to Your name, O most High,
To proclaim Your mercy in the morning, and Your truth at night.

Those planted in the house of the Lord shall blossom forth in the courts of our God;
They shall still be increased in a rich old age, and shall be prospering
So as to proclaim, "The Lord my God is upright, and there is no wrongdoing in Him."

Psalm 91(92) verses 1-3 ; 14-16

Glory be to God for bringing His servants together.

Adrian

Banned
Orthodox Catechumen
Is there a good source on Guardian Angels? I'd like to eplore this

I assumed this was a pretty much a new age idea, i didn't realise it was orthodox

I wonder how that works with heterodox who are chrismated into the faith - would they have had a GA assigned at that baptism?

MsJNix

Banned
Woman
Catholic
Is there a good source on Guardian Angels? I'd like to eplore this

I assumed this was a pretty much a new age idea, i didn't realise it was orthodox

I wonder how that works with heterodox who are chrismated into the faith - would they have had a GA assigned at that baptism?

Orthodox Prayer to the Guardian Angel​

Icon of Guardian Angel “O holy angel that standeth by my wretched soul and my passionate life, forsake not me a sinner, nor shrink from me because of mine intemperance. Give no place for the cunning demon to master me through the violence of my mortal body, strengthen my poor and feeble hand, and guide me in the way of salvation. Yea, O holy angel of God, guardian and protector of my wretched soul and body, forgive me all wherein I have offended thee all the days of my life; and if I have sinned during the past night, protect me during the present day, and guard me from every temptation of the enemy, that I may not anger God by any sin. And pray to the Lord for me, that He may establish me in His fear, and show me, His servant, to be worthy of His goodness. Amen.”
— From the Morning Prayers

Oremus

Chicken
Trad Catholic
Hi Roosh, very appreciative of your work. Not sure if it’s been asked by others, but if you’d ever consider prerecording yourself reading these articles and uploading as a podcast I know many of us would greatly benefit. Always been more of a listener than a reader.

If not that’s understandable, as it takes extra time and effort. Will continue to check-in here regardless. God bless.

Roosh

Cardinal
Orthodox
Hi Roosh, very appreciative of your work. Not sure if it’s been asked by others, but if you’d ever consider prerecording yourself reading these articles and uploading as a podcast I know many of us would greatly benefit. Always been more of a listener than a reader.

If not that’s understandable, as it takes extra time and effort. Will continue to check-in here regardless. God bless.
I've been asked this a few times but I don't have any plans to do it.