The Dune Thread

DeWoken

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
The 2016 Dune thread is locked so here's a new one.

The first Dune thread:

Wiki(less)

My three-word review that kicked off this sandstorm:

fireshark

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
So they will have to cast someone as Feyd for part 2. Hopefully they make a good choice and not some bore like Jared Leto.

DeWoken

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
It was better than I expected. First 40 minutes or so were okay, went downhill after that. Scenes just dragged on forever and covered very little. The Morgoth and Greg Johnson review was pretty good.

Thanks, I will watch that :)

I agree with your pacing analysis. I haven't read the book since my teen years, and do not remember it. I'd say that since Villeneuve didn't have the green light for more than one movie he wanted to make sure things were tied up nicely. It seemed to me that after Duncan Idaho's stand it got a little boring. The dream sequences were not well done, too cryptic, filler. How many seconds of staring at that sheathed short sword did we have in the movie, 20? Maybe more scenes of Paul flipping out, ranting, the way he does with his mother in the tent, would have been preferable to so many dream sequences. As the Variety review says, Paul was a little boring. Spice is a drug.
Given the current entertainment climate I'd say it is forgivable if Villeneuve has a bit of stutter in his stride.

Last edited:

DeWoken

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
The Morgoth and Greg Johnson review was pretty good.
That was definitely worth the listen, I don't have much to add. Let's hope part 2 is an improvement. I believe video game fans from the 90s will tell you that Dune II was epic ;)

I'm watching a couple of interviews right now.

Villeneuve says he's glad now that he wasn't able to secure funding for a back-to-back filming of a 2 part movie, because he needs the break to rest and contemplate.

spice.jpg Dune chill.jpeg