The Entrepreneur / Business Owner's / Self Employed Lounge

Do you guys have some forum like this one that you read daily but that is mainly for business?

I've read BlackHat for some time but I'm thinking is there anything better out there?

Beyond Borders

Peacock
Gold Member
Who uses LinkedIn successfully for leads? Some of my best leads have come from the platform, but it was always a bit random and an untargeted effort. I do find that the more I spend time on the site, tweaking my profile, etc, the more messages and visits I get.

I want to get more proactive with my efforts there - any specific tips or resources that are more valuable than what might pop up on a random Google search?

TheMaleBrain

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Beyond Borders said:
Who uses LinkedIn successfully for leads? Some of my best leads have come from the platform, but it was always a bit random and an untargeted effort. I do find that the more I spend time on the site, tweaking my profile, etc, the more messages and visits I get.

I want to get more proactive with my efforts there - any specific tips or resources that are more valuable than what might pop up on a random Google search?

I use LinkedIN for business intelligence mostly. I don't use it directly for leads, but as a way to qualify leads.
Most of the approaches I get on LinkedIN (I'm almost at 10K direct connections) are spam. The best advice I can give is to better research the people that you wish to approach.

Beyond Borders

Peacock
Gold Member
^ I appreciate the input. And I agree it's a powerful research tool. But I think you underestimate the opportunity there (depending on your industry, of course). There are definitely people using it for quality incoming leads.

As I mentioned, some of my best clients come from LinkedIn, and that's without trying. Generally they get presold in profile and then click to my site and are converted. My profile is set up to sell me. Neil Patel describes how to do this. I was already doing most of what he mentions, and I can attest it works. https://neilpatel.com/blog/use-linkedin-page-sales-funnel/

I just ignore spam messages. 10K is way too many connections, in my opinion, so not surprised you're flooded with low-quality approaches. I've only got 358. But I think accepting connections from just anyone is a bad idea on LinkedIn, and I will probably go delete a bunch of them to "clean up" my account.

I want to take a more deliberate approach to my network so the quality movers and shakers aren't lost in the noise.

What I'm looking to do now is ramp up efforts on the content marketing side. Get more involved in groups and posting articles, etc for inbound purposes - obviously there's a fine line between becoming just another marketer doing this on LinkedIn and becoming someone that actually gets heard.

I also suspect interacting with your network publicly helps.

For example, if you're making quality comments and having public interactions with people you actually know in public spaces like groups or posts they've made, surely more people will 1) see your name more often and more likely become aware of your offers 2) recognize that you're a real person who actually knows your connections rather than a generic name marketing on LinkedIn.

I'm a bit distant from people in my network that I actually know (sort of a side effect of always working remotely). This is an obstacle. So maybe coordinating with other guys you know in real life who want to ramp up their presence on LinkedIn would be a good way to go.

Conversations would have to be authentic of course - I just mean making a deliberate attempt to interact with each other more to create momentum.

Just a few things I'm thinking about. I'll do some research.

Was on my mind so figured I'd throw it out and see if any RVF guys were using LinkedIn in a more proactive manner.

Beyond Borders

Peacock
Gold Member
Have any of you with established businesses or a startup here hired a copywriter to create a video script (for a presentation designed to convert leads)? I'm curious what script writers are charging, or more importantly, what businesses with a marketing budget are comfortable paying for the value.

I've done shorter explainer videos in the past that turned out pretty solid, and I think my examples are what sucked in this lead. Typical charges online - only for writing the copy - looks to be $150-$300 per scripted minute, or about $4500 - $9000 for a 30-minute script.

It's 30-minute presentation rather than the usual 2-3-minute explainer pitch. I've done script writing for online courses at this length before, but it was early on in my copywriting career and I probably undercharged by a long shot. Anyhow, I'm thinking it would make sense to charge a little more on the lower end since it's a big job. On the other hand, this is an extremely lucrative industry so the value add for them is worth a lot.

Appreciate any input for those with experience buying copy or marketing services.

Leads

Robin
harveyspecter said:
Do you guys have some forum like this one that you read daily but that is mainly for business?

I've read BlackHat for some time but I'm thinking is there anything better out there?

Look into the book "10x" by Grant Cardone (also has great youtubes) as well as "Fanatical Prospecting" Jeb Blount (his Sales EQ podcast too). Both books steamrolled my face and kind of woke me up biz-wise. Many of the themes are familiar but get broken down from so many angles. Sales is the trenches of all business - Everything comes down to trust

I have a paypal business account right now and if I want to withdraw some money to my bank account, do they ask something from papers ?( TVA number etc.) because my business is not registered yet and I don't want my money to get frozen by paypal , it's around 3K € I would like to withdraw.

Wanted to post here first before I went onto my business forum. I've been working on a supplement company for over a year now and at this point I think finding a partner would be beneficial to me. Product has been validated by the market and have made some sales. Everyone whose tried it has given stellar reviews and it is without a doubt the best mood supplement on the market, having tried competitors..

Pm for more info I don't want to dox myself, but i'm looking for someone with good marketing experience to help me grow this and develop it into a brand. I believe wholeheartedly in my product and it has great potential.

Siddartha

Pigeon
I've been doing a lot of research lately (Seth godin books including his newest), learning about instagram optimization, but have yet to pull the trigger and finally list my product on amazon.

I don't mind putting it on without having a huge following on insta yet; but now I'm starting to consider if the christmas shipping crunch may be detrimental to my business getting off the ground (I'm using a PoD service with a 1-2 printing time to boot). I'm already getting unexpected physical action from people around me and fans (a prerequisite that scott adams talks about) but I just don't know how everything will go, though I have an abundance of optimism.

Anyone with any thoughts on this situation?

Leads said:
harveyspecter said:

Look into the book "10x" by Grant Cardone (also has great youtubes) as well as "Fanatical Prospecting" Jeb Blount (his Sales EQ podcast too). Both books steamrolled my face and kind of woke me up biz-wise. Many of the themes are familiar but get broken down from so many angles. Sales is the trenches of all business - Everything comes down to trust

Thanks, I will check it out.

harveyspecter said:

Check out the fasltane forum and read the book millionaire fastlane

bigolteddies said:
Wanted to post here first before I went onto my business forum. I've been working on a supplement company for over a year now and at this point I think finding a partner would be beneficial to me. Product has been validated by the market and have made some sales. Everyone whose tried it has given stellar reviews and it is without a doubt the best mood supplement on the market, having tried competitors..

Pm for more info I don't want to dox myself, but i'm looking for someone with good marketing experience to help me grow this and develop it into a brand. I believe wholeheartedly in my product and it has great potential.

We spoke privately about this. I don’t think you need a partner. Consider hiring a specialty marketing guy. I just did and the difference in approach on what I was doing before based on what I thought would work and what actually works is massive.

Siddartha said:
I've been doing a lot of research lately (Seth godin books including his newest), learning about instagram optimization, but have yet to pull the trigger and finally list my product on amazon.

I don't mind putting it on without having a huge following on insta yet; but now I'm starting to consider if the christmas shipping crunch may be detrimental to my business getting off the ground (I'm using a PoD service with a 1-2 printing time to boot). I'm already getting unexpected physical action from people around me and fans (a prerequisite that scott adams talks about) but I just don't know how everything will go, though I have an abundance of optimism.

Anyone with any thoughts on this situation?

Still waiting? Still researching?

What exactly are you waiting for? There are no magic formulas, get out there and sell some shit.

bigolteddies said:
harveyspecter said:

I've read the book and the thread about it here on the forum that is interesting too. :D

https://www.rooshvforum.com/thread-5322.html

harveyspecter said:
bigolteddies said:
harveyspecter said:

I've read the book and the thread about it here on the forum that is interesting too. :D

https://www.rooshvforum.com/thread-5322.html

Wow just looked through that thread it was interesting to say the least. Suits brings up a lot of good points. The book was the first to set off my entrepreneurial journey and taught me the fundamentals, and the forum has a lot of useful info. If he's being dishonest, I still got a lot of value out of the book or forum, but it is kind of dissapointing.

Veloce

Crow
Gold Member
The desire to start my own business is eating away at me more than ever. The only problem is I'm all too familiar with the risks involved.

It would be a very simple, very small wine bar that serves a limited menu. I have the concept very well fleshed out in my head, would need to formalize it into a business plan.

I already know the place would not be geared towards high volume. Or huge profits. It would be my place to not have to work for anyone else. Because, well paid as I am, I'm getting sick of this shit.

The other apprehension I have is having this place in Vegas. It's hard to imagine it getting a lot of love based on what I know about Vegas locals. 99% of bars here are tacky as shit, having gaming machines, and cater to the vodka+redbull crowd.

It would be a passion project in the truest sense, in that the place could wind up being very painful. But it's eating at me and I feel like I have to at least give it a shot. I may try to make this happen in '19

the-dream

Kingfisher
Veloce said:
The other apprehension I have is having this place in Vegas. It's hard to imagine it getting a lot of love based on what I know about Vegas locals. 99% of bars here are tacky as shit, having gaming machines, and cater to the vodka+redbull crowd.

That sounds to me like a great opportunity and the very reason that you could be successful and make a name for yourself, not the opposite!

Here in Manila there is a place similar to yours and it is packed 7 days a week like no other bar. It costs pretty much 3x the price of anywhere else too and I'm sure that Manila has a lot less of the target demographic than Vegas, but the few that are here all just come out to this bar. You don't need a huge target demographic and it's actually easier to get established in a smaller niche, especially if you don't have much real competition.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about running a bar. These are just my observations as a customer.

Ski pro said:
bigolteddies said:

We spoke privately about this. I don’t think you need a partner. Consider hiring a specialty marketing guy. I just did and the difference in approach on what I was doing before based on what I thought would work and what actually works is massive.

I don't have the budget for that.