The EU/European politics thread

budoslavic

Peacock
Gold Member
Now Czech Republic goes against EU and backs Donald Trump’s ‘views on migration’

THE Czech Republic has shown its backing for US President-elect Donald Trump’s views on migration as the list of countries supporting the Republican continues to grow.

Czech president Miloš Zeman openly supported Trump during his election campaign and also backed his fight against the evil Islamic State.

After the vote he said: "I agree with his views on migration and the fight against Islamic terrorism".

Zeman added that he hoped Ivana Trump - the President-elect's first wife - would become the US ambassador to the Czech Republic after she expressed an interest in the post earlier this month.

Tomáš Prouza, the state secretary for European affairs at the Czech Prime Minister’s Office, said: "She would definitely reach out to people easily and could be very good in public diplomacy.

“I don’t expect anyone to protest.”

Czech Finance Minister, Andrej Babiš, who like Trump is a billionaire, said he believed the President-elect's policies could help to end Europe's migrant crisis - although he also claimed he hoped Trump "would respect the Nato alliance" in a Facebook post.

It comes after Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbàn showed support for the new US leader, using similar rhetoric to Trump to oppose the arrival of Muslim migrants.

Following Trump's landmark win, Orbàn said: “We are living in the days where what we call liberal non-democracy — in which we lived for the past 20 years — ends, and we can return to real democracy.”

Meanwhile, Poland - who share a border with the Czech Republic and Russia - has more concerns about Trump's presidency.

Trump's wavering commitment to Nato combined with Russia's increasing military capabilities leaves Poland in a potentially vulnerable position.

The country remains in this difficult position until Trump sheds more light on his foreign policy for Europe.

However, in a campaign speech in Chicago, Trump's desire to maintain good relations with Poland will undoubtedly appease some concerns.

Trump said: “We’re committed to a strong Poland and a strong Eastern Europe as a bulwark for security and liberty.”
EU:

britchard

Pelican
The not-paying-up NATO members make my blood boil. I think the only countries that pay the required amount (or more) are Greece, Poland, Estonia, the UK and obviously the US. And I'm not even an American, I can only imagine how they feel about it.

I don't think an EU army would get very far...

HighSpeed_LowDrag

Ostrich
Gold Member
Vicious said:
I like this thread so far and it has real promise if "LOL EU" type posts are kept out.

As mentioned there are some very interesting and impactful elections coming up in Europe in the close future. Unlike the US Europe has had plenty of instances where parties with a focus on nationalism has made headway. And the coming years will likely prove a decisive moment with the opportunity for a wide steo to the right for several countries governments.

I am badly hoping that the European countries do not descend into economic isolationism however like what Trump has telegraphed for the US. This has never worked in the history of the continent.
A shortlist of upcoming important elections:

December 4 - Italian constitutional referendum (we need a NO victory)
December 4 - Austrian presidential election re-run

March 15 - Netherlands general election
April 23 - French presidential election
May 7 - French presidential run-off (TBD)
August/October - German federal election

britchard

Pelican
sterling_archer said:
I am not familiar with Italian referendum next week. What is it about and what is desirable income?
It's about whether to reform the constitution so that the Senate's power is reduced, making it easier to pass bills through the Chamber. The 'yes' vote is to approve the reform, the 'no' vote is to keep it how it is.

However it seems that the actual issue the referendum is about is of secondary importance. A 'no' vote is a protest vote against the establishment (which means against the EU and liberal elite types).

A 'no' victory will cause the current prime minister to resign, which would trigger new elections and potentially referendums on Italy using the Euro or even membership of the EU.

britchard

Pelican
^Extra detail I forgot to add, the referendum also proposes changes to reduce the power of regional governments, giving the regions less control over their own affairs. Similar to how democrats like to reduce the power that states have.

Today is the day of voting to decide who is the Republican nominee for the presidential election in France. A Fillon win is the best result today, as it would mean Le Pen is more likely to win and Fillon himself isn't a bad option, provided he isn't just talk.

Vicious

Crow
Gold Member
Italy could however badly need to rework their constitution, I don't recall the exact criteria but dissolving the government by vote is far too easy. How many changed/reformed governments have they been through so far this millennium? 10? 15?

I can't imagine what the administrative costs associated with just change over time for all these events are.

britchard

Pelican
So it is very likely that one of Fillon (just won the primary) or Le Pen will be the president in 5 months or so. Both are more right-wing than any French President I know of in recent history, so it is a good sign.

If Italian referendum fail, and an Italeave referendum is declared, the EU is over before the results will be announced.

Brexit was a hard blow, but most Europeans still think of UK as "outsider". Now the thought of one of the key countries of EU declaring a referendum will get everyone fired up and a judgment day EU-cleansing storm of patriotic sentiment will wash over, leaving liberals drowing in their own tears.

If the referendum pass however, its gonna be tougher for Le Pen, but even then its still too soon to speculate.

I just hope whatever gets done, gets done now. If the nationalists lose this term, byt 2021 there will be nothing left of Europe / France to save.

britchard

Pelican
Dalaran1991 said:
If Italian referendum fail, and an Italeave referendum is declared, the EU is over before the results will be announced.

Brexit was a hard blow, but most Europeans still think of UK as "outsider". Now the thought of one of the key countries of EU declaring a referendum will get everyone fired up and a judgment day EU-cleansing storm of patriotic sentiment will wash over, leaving liberals drowing in their own tears.

If the referendum pass however, its gonna be tougher for Le Pen, but even then its still too soon to speculate.

I just hope whatever gets done, gets done now. If the nationalists lose this term, byt 2021 there will be nothing left of Europe / France to save.
It is important to highlight to guys who don't live or haven't lived in any EU country, that most British people would call themselves European third, behind British or which of the home nations they come from. This is the opposite to mainland Europe, where many people think of themselves as being primarily European.

I would describe myself as British first, then English, then European.

In this sense, one could say that it is likely no other country would (currently) leave the EU. Perhaps Ireland or Iceland might.

I believe that the Italians will vote 'No' in the referendum, but would most likely not vote to leave the Euro, and most definitely to leave the EU.

Give it a few more years however...

Elster

Pelican
Gold Member
The tide definitely seems to be shifting voterwise towards a more nationalist POV's but how much of it is real and how much is just mis en scene?

britchard

Pelican
El_Gostro said:
The tide definitely seems to be shifting voterwise towards a more nationalist POV's but how much of it is real and how much is just mis en scene?
It is all real. Coming out as a nationalist even in the UK, let alone mainland Europe, used to run a high chance of you being socially ostracised.

The fact that people can now openly say 'let's close our borders and put our country first' and not be screamed down (although some screaming does still happen) shows how there has been a shift.

Germany is always a good barometer to use to see the nationalist swing.

britchard

Pelican
MCMV said:
I hope this EU falls into pieces. I am Italian and Italy was so much better before this EU.
Projects like the EU are all about taking the diversity and heritage out of European nations and subverting them to the will of globalists.

britchard

Pelican
Just a note on what merits its own thread and what should be discussed in here. There's now an Italeave thread, which is good because aside from this thread I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else on the forum. If topics just stay in discussion here, then lots of the non-Europeans who don't bother reading this thread will never get exposed to these topics.

So events such as Italeave and any follow-up referendum on the Euro/EU deserve their own thread. So do the French Elections, as well as the German ones later in the year. Depending on the level of interest, it may also be a good idea to create threads nearer the time for the Dutch elections.

To add to that, Roosh also said in his recent updated forum guidelines that the 'Master Threads' can throttle the creation of new threads, and I agree. So please if you think something is thread-worthy, please post it like that instead of in here.

Back to the news, it is the Italian constitutional referendum and the Austrian presidential elections tomorrow. A good set of results would be a 'NO' vote in Italy, and Hofer winning in Austria.