The Gab thread

tractor

Woodpecker
Orthodox
Recently the German government has been coming at Gab hard to try and force us to comply with their draconian online censorship laws. We have obviously refused to do so and now they are coming after us with fines of tens of thousands of dollars and other legal action. Our lawyers informed us that we have three options:

1) Obey German censorship laws and start censoring content that the German Govt doesn't like (not going to happen)
2) Disobey German censorship laws and pick a fight with the nation state of Germany (I wouldn't ever be able to leave the US again, they would come at us from every possible angle through state-sponsored deplatforming, and Lord knows what else.)
3) Cease providing this service in Germany by blocking German IPs.

So obviously a very difficult decision, but one that must be made very soon. I wanted to share with you all to be fully transparent with what is going on.

soli.deo.gloria

Robin
Orthodox Inquirer
That seems so backwards. Gab isn't crossing state lines. They didn't force anyone to access their website which is not hosted in Germany AFAIK. Let Germany block their own citizens access if they so choose. Typically when this kind of thing happens it is because the company in question has actual offices and employees in the given country. That does not seem to be the case here so what is he even talking about with fines? If (((Torba))) doesn't understand that concept I really question his competence and intelligence. It seems like he is up to something.

Magnus Stout

Robin
Orthodox
Hello @MichaelWitcoff, sorry I couldn't follow your last post: what is the important development?
---

Gab and Gov't of Germany: yes, jurisdiction issues are bizzare in the internet age. But, no court in the US will enforce a foreign judgment (ex: from Germany) that violates the 1st amendment. However, he probably should not travel to Germany (they could fine/arrest). The EU highest court is probably useless in this conflict. But, since Torba will not get jabbed, he probably couldn't visit anyway.

MichaelWitcoff

Ostrich
Orthodox
Michael, help me out here. I have Gab, but don't have any other social media so not following.

I'm planning to see them in Kentucky on Sunday. They got me through many a workout.
Just the fact that they made a Gab account and then responded to my comment were both very exciting to my inner child who used to blast Headstrong on an MP3 player.

budoslavic

Owl
Orthodox
Gold Member
Sargon of Akkad: "I use almost every alternative social media platform, and out of them all, it's hard to find a better platform than Gab. It's un-deplatform-able, has a large userbase and is run by free speech absolutists. It's not that there is anything necessarily wrong with the alternatives, but Gab really has got all the essentials right and established itself as base camp for alternative voices through perseverance and ingenuity. You can't fault that kind of work ethic on the part of @a and his team, and the people who use it every day that make it what it is."

Magnus Stout

Robin
Orthodox
Just read Torba's response to German legal threats.... Why, oh why, would he have substantial legal bills for that issue? If GAB has no physical presence in Germany (or the EU, presumably), he can tell regulators there to pound sand. That is not a complicated legal question.

He should have fun and block the IPs of the regulators in the EU in response.Then, buy ad space for a billboard on the subway/trains in Berlin with something like this:
041de11c8880a0c3.png

tractor

Woodpecker
Orthodox
Just read Torba's response to German legal threats.... Why, oh why, would he have substantial legal bills for that issue? If GAB has no physical presence in Germany (or the EU, presumably), he can tell regulators there to pound sand. That is not a complicated legal question.

He should have fun and block the IPs of the regulators in the EU in response.Then, buy ad space for a billboard on the subway/trains in Berlin with something like this:
041de11c8880a0c3.png

It's funny though that Germany instead of blocking Gab right away begged for cash. Gon get dat VPN, b**ch :)