The God pill

Blade Runner

Kingfisher
If sin blocks prayer, and if we're all sinners (at all times, right?) then how do anyone's prayers get answered?

Most of us tend to live on the Solzhenitsyn line, going back and forth between good and evil. The difference is in trying to self examine and judge ourselves, and thus repent. In this way, when we meet the true and just Judge, we will have already considered such things, and we can have hope in God:

"For we have not a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin."

Our prayers, if rightly directed, give thanks and glory to god for all things. In this manner, they are offered up to God as a remembrance, a sacrifice in and of themselves, as are our good works, as Cornelius prayers and acts were in Acts 10.

Sin distracts us from prayer.

infowarrior1

Hummingbird
I've begun praying recently and I'm unsure on how to do it best. There are many different prayers listed in different places, in different languages and so on.

I've personally been praying beginning with accepting Jesus Christ as god and asking for forgiveness. Then I usually ask for strength to deal with some problem of mine, to resist sin or to be courageous or to keep me focused and such things. I do not ask directly for anything, but try to think about what I would need to do in order to achieve what I would have asked for. I could ask to have the strength to not allow myself to feel threathened by current events because feeling so makes me angry and aggressive and that leads to hating, which isn't good.

I've seen quite good results so far of this method, but I also feel like I'm being tested. I will pray and it seem that good things happen, but then I might regress after seeing such rapid positive progress. For me personally, I struggle with pride and wrath. Success tends to breed these.

In any case, I've begun praying and I think I am on the right path.

You are on the right path and have done what was suggested to the Jailer who saw the signs and wonders done in the Apostles presence:

Luke 11:13
https://biblehub.com/greek/846.htm

This whole Chapter is worth reading in regards to prayer:

And this one about being born again:

May God grant you the Holy Spirit and begin the work of sanctification.

Last edited:

infowarrior1

Hummingbird
I've begun praying recently and I'm unsure on how to do it best. There are many different prayers listed in different places, in different languages and so on.

I've personally been praying beginning with accepting Jesus Christ as god and asking for forgiveness. Then I usually ask for strength to deal with some problem of mine, to resist sin or to be courageous or to keep me focused and such things. I do not ask directly for anything, but try to think about what I would need to do in order to achieve what I would have asked for. I could ask to have the strength to not allow myself to feel threathened by current events because feeling so makes me angry and aggressive and that leads to hating, which isn't good.

I've seen quite good results so far of this method, but I also feel like I'm being tested. I will pray and it seem that good things happen, but then I might regress after seeing such rapid positive progress. For me personally, I struggle with pride and wrath. Success tends to breed these.

In any case, I've begun praying and I think I am on the right path.

Here is some resources to get your feet on the ground:

God bless brother :)

aeroektar

Pelican
I've seen the number 666 an unusual amount of times over the course of the last two weeks, easily over a dozen times. Today Ive seen it twice, a couple days ago I saw it twice in one day again. I'll push it to the back of my mind and tell myself it's an odd coincidence, but then it keeps happening. I don't think I've seen it organically a dozen times in my entire life and now I'm seeing it daily. I feel like this is a message from God.

SiverFox

Robin
I'm new to Faith and have been attending a local non-denominational Christian church since last summer with my LTR. This is one of those churches with the band and the Christian feel good music. We both really enjoy the services and the music, and we run into the Pastor and his wife regularly in our neighborhood.

I'm thinking about taking the next step and joining the Church officially. I'm curious on the pros/cons of this type of Church.

I'm new to Faith and have been attending a local non-denominational Christian church since last summer with my LTR. This is one of those churches with the band and the Christian feel good music. We both really enjoy the services and the music, and we run into the Pastor and his wife regularly in our neighborhood.

I'm thinking about taking the next step and joining the Church officially. I'm curious on the pros/cons of this type of Church.

What do you mean by "joining the Church officially"? Do you actually need to register or something to be a regular?

Or you are not baptized and didn't do catechism so you want to commit to one Church in particular?

My recommendation will be to attend different churches of different Christian faiths (if it's possible in your hometown), talk to the priests and some of the attendees and see what suits you to begin with.

At first, if you are a complete newbie those kind of non denominational Christian Church might suit you more as it is more "fun" as Leonard said. But after some time, when you will grow in your faith you might want to try a more traditional Church.

Not everything is set in stones and we all have different paths, the most important thing is your will and desire to get closer to God.

Last edited:

SiverFox

Robin
What do you mean by "joining the Church officially"? Do you actually need to register or something to be a regular?

Or you are not baptized and didn't do catechism so you want to commit to one Church in particular?

My recommendation will be to try different churches of different Christian faiths (if it's possible in your hometown), talk to the priests and some of the attendees and see what suits you.

Poorly worded question, I'm not baptized and was thinking of doing it at this church. There are several churches in the area and we have been to three others before attending this one regulatory. What kind of questions should I be asking?

NoMoreTO

Ostrich

I would consider how faithful the congregants are, the quality of the teaching you are receiving. I would also ask what the teaching of the Church is on a variety of issues. I'm not sure about non denominational, but they might not have a very firm foundation on the Church beliefs, it might be more generic - follow Christ & the Bible. This is how I picture non denominational, that they don't concern themselves with these lines.

While your LTR taking you there is a big plus, it represents a path of least resistance, a connection between you to and makes it easy, also consider whether you are following her rather than making a conscious hard look at your faith.

I would also take a serious look at the Roman Catholic Church , go to a high latin mass and speak to a latin mass priest. But it would be good for you to see and understand the differences between these Churches. Namely the sacraments, apostolic succession, etc.

NoMoreTO

Ostrich
Poorly worded question, I'm not baptized and was thinking of doing it at this church. There are several churches in the area and we have been to three others before attending this one regulatory. What kind of questions should I be asking?

Ask if they baptize in the name of the father, son, and holy spirit. In Catholicism this is what makes a baptism valid, but I believe some Churches baptize in Jesus' name, which is considered incomplete.

SiverFox

Robin
Not everything is set in stones and we all have different paths, the most important thing is your will and desire to get closer to God.

I have a strong desire to get closer to God and beg for his help when I pray.

While your LTR taking you there is a big plus, it represents a path of least resistance, a connection between you to and makes it easy, also consider whether you are following her rather than making a conscious hard look at your faith.

My LTR was raised and baptized Mormon. I have had this need I didn't understand for the longest time to find God. This journey is mine but we are doing it together. We went to a service at the Mormon church nearby. Her favorite part is when the missionaries speak about their missions. It was full of the most beautiful large families and the service was great. I just don't think it is for me.

Ask if they baptize in the name of the father, son, and holy spirit. In Catholicism this is what makes a baptism valid, but I believe some Churches baptize in Jesus' name, which is considered incomplete.

There is a Roman Catholic church nearby and we will check it out.

Thanks for the replies.

Errol

Pigeon
Maybe it is just the the catholic in me speaking, but I agree with the other comments above.
Spiritual life shouldn't be about what is "fun" or even how you "feel" about something.
It should be quite the opposite, especially since I think all christians can agree suffering is an essential part of achieving holiness.
Anyway, I second all the above mentioned recommendations about getting a grasp on the actual doctrine of your proposed church rather than how much you enjoy the music or are neighborly with the pastor.
Of course this approach is very much a catholic approach, but something I think conservative protestants would agree with.
Anyway, best of luck!

Mike_Key

Robin
View attachment 23044
Rest in peace.

He was really good; I've liked his debates.

He had many great answers. To the humanist or whichever, I forget but the audience member may have been both ... the humanist which says "Education will heal the world" or the anarchist that says "you don't need law" ...

Ravi would simply reply "At night, do you lock your front door?"

He was hilarious.

John 3:16

Last edited:
For anyone who like me is praying and waiting and getting disillusioned and impatient, here's a poem that I wrote that will hopefully help :

The Lord is coming
He's on His way
He's got a box of goodies
And He'll be here any day
So if you'll just stay patient
You'll get your reward
'Cos that's how we roll
When we're down with the Lord

It may have been days
Or weeks or months
Of wondering if you'll get
Your needs and wants
Seems like it's taking way more time
Than you can afford
But just wait 'till you see
The perfect timing of the Lord

But He's keeping me hanging!
I may as well lean
On my my own understanding
'Till He gets on the scene
No need, dear friend
For like a blazing concorde
Here He is, out of nowhere
Give a big hand for the Lord!

ICXC

If sin blocks prayer, and if we're all sinners (at all times, right?) then how do anyone's prayers get answered?

Luke 11:8
"Then he added, “If any of you has a friend, and goes to him in the middle of the night and says, ‘Lend me three loaves, my dear fellow, for a friend of mine has just arrived after a journey and I have no food to put in front of him’; and then he answers from inside the house, ‘Don’t bother me with your troubles. The front door is locked and my children and I have gone to bed. I simply cannot get up now and give you anything!’ Yet, I tell you, that even if he won’t get up and give him what he wants simply because he is his friend, yet if he persists, he will rouse himself and give him everything he needs.”

God wants us to perservere in prayer even to the point of nagging him...seek and you shall find...knock and the door shall be open to you...You can be in mortal sin and still pray, it just doesn't merit you anything in Heaven other than helping you go to confession. You have to pray with humility, confidence, and perseverance.

Not to mention but God is outside of time and He see's all time at once (maybe she does presumably because she has eternity she can take as much time as she needs). God show's us Himself through time using causality. For example when praying to saint's or Mary it's not like she 'hear's' every prayer all at once or something, but all of time has already happened with God. In actuality Mary and the Saints have eternity to listen to our prayers. They have infinite time, because they are outside of it. As far as how the responses are dished out only God knows that, but as I said He shows us His divinity via causality and our relationship with time. I.e. this is why we have prophecy etc. Because only God can forecast events etc. For example here's something that might blow your mind: theologians say satan fell from Heaven because God made Himself a man...in the hierarchy of existence, angels are above humans obviously, but for God to become a man is like a human becoming a dog and supposedly satan couldn't respect God for doing this...but God became human because satan fell....so it's a catch 22, in other words satan would not have fallen if God had not made Himself as a man, but God only made Himself as a man because satan fell.

And there's dozens and dozens of other examples of this...for example with Mary as being immaculate, how could she be immaculate if God had not died for our sins? In other words how could she gain the graces necessary to be perfect if Jesus had not already died? It's the same thing, we see this over and over again in Scripture. God alters events retroactively in order to prove points and show us His divinity because He's outside of time. In effect this also allows us our free-will while not taking away any of His divinity. In other words most people assume with free-will aren't we altering God's plans? Yes and no, the fact of the matter is though that God already knows what you'll do, it's simply a matter of whether or not you cooperate with His grace in the process.

Last edited:

Silveryback

Pigeon
I hope this is the proper place to inquire about a new direction I am taking. I am 32 years old and have never attended church before. Once I reached age 30, I gave myself the goal of reading the King James Bible, and it has been a very eye-opening experience (especially during these crazy times).

I have made the decision to attend a church service for the first time, and want to make sure I am respectful and thoughtful pertaining to any protocol that is normal and second-nature to other seasoned church-goers. I will be attending a Baptist church, one that has remained open in California despite the unconstitutional decree that churches must remain closed. Also, a family member of mine, a woman who is 31, will also be attending her first church service with me. Besides dressing appropriately and bringing something to donate, I would like to know what else would be considered appropriate behavior for attending church.

The woman I know is mainly concerned with dressing appropriately, as well as respectfully attending without wearing a mask. As with me, she has not worn a muzzle during this covid situation and, even though the website says the church will require the attendees to wear masks and obey social distancing requirements, she is also strong in her beliefs to remain mask-free. Is that disrespectful? Any input would be greatly appreciated. The town I live in is in desperate need of community togetherness, and attending church seems like the only option to get socialization in. Hopefully it is a nice church and that will feed my soul. Thank you to anyone who may have input.

NoMoreTO

Ostrich
I have made the decision to attend a church service for the first time, and want to make sure I am respectful and thoughtful pertaining to any protocol that is normal and second-nature to other seasoned church-goers. I will be attending a Baptist church, one that has remained open in California despite the unconstitutional decree that churches must remain closed. Also, a family member of mine, a woman who is 31, will also be attending her first church service with me. Besides dressing appropriately and bringing something to donate, I would like to know what else would be considered appropriate behavior for attending church.

The woman I know is mainly concerned with dressing appropriately, as well as respectfully attending without wearing a mask. As with me, she has not worn a muzzle during this covid situation and, even though the website says the church will require the attendees to wear masks and obey social distancing requirements, she is also strong in her beliefs to remain mask-free. Is that disrespectful? Any input would be greatly appreciated. The town I live in is in desperate need of community togetherness, and attending church seems like the only option to get socialization in. Hopefully it is a nice church and that will feed my soul. Thank you to anyone who may have input.

Good for you making a leap of faith and showing up at a Church. I know when you have been away its always harder. Once you get into the routine, you will feel odd when you don't go (ie recent Church closures).

I have had a hard time with balancing Church and social distancing rules. If your Church is strict on masks, but you believe masks to be an evil lie, its just incredibly confusing. I am missing Church today because the mass I go to is full because of the social distancing requirements.
I am Catholic so I can't really choose but I am looking into a different diocese or SSPX about an hour away which might be more lenient. If I wasn't already firmly Catholic, there would be a massive appeal to any Church which does not comply with social distancing laws, or only pays them a passing respect but does not enforce them.

I hope things went well for you at the Church today and the pastor provided good teaching.

On another note, I was doing some spiritual reflection last night on where I am with my faith since the beginning of all of this. My faith has really weakened, or it has become too politically oriented. This transformation happened to me me in a way I didn't totally see. The focus on my faith has become too outward facing, towards society and the evil going on there, towards the Church and the weak response to Corona. I have tended to read political content rather than the bible and religious works. I have slipped from my prayer routine, been unable to attend mass and fell into sins that I felt I was on my way to overcoming. The "Church is closed" routine got into my head, and thats what they wanted.

I think back to just 6 months ago, I was reading the saints, ahead on my one year Bible read, had a consistent daily prayer routine, and more personal peace than I can remember. It was a quiet and simple routine that was easy to manage. In this time the anger I had to the degenerate culture was under control, I could learn at the weekly Catechism class, speak with fellow Christians, attend Church and receive sacraments as much as I liked, the only limit was myself.

I am seeing that I need to refocus on prayer and learning the scripture, and finding a parish which isn't at capacity nearly every time I try to attend, which can still provide the eucharist. The Church is closed meme got into my head. It's not an excuse of your sunday obligation.

2020 really isn't the time to backslide, not that there ever was one. Returning to confession and communion need to be my priority. The Church is closed meme turned in my head to The Church is half open still and so I'm not responsible.

But the solution is still the same, go back to your faith, improve your daily spiritual routine, get right with God. It will be more difficult, and it will only continue to be more difficult. You have to work harder now to update yourself to your new surroundings, to accept less access to faith life than you feel is just. There will only be more obstacles, we have to continue with faith and devotion to God. The same holds true, the only limit is yourself.

Beware the Church is closed meme, it is insidious. Yes your Shepherd might abandon you, the Church might close, but God will not abandon you. Don't give yourself too many breaks, you will be held to account, your faith is being tested.

Last edited:

EndlessGravity

Kingfisher
I have made the decision to attend a church service for the first time, and want to make sure I am respectful and thoughtful pertaining to any protocol that is normal and second-nature to other seasoned church-goers.

You've probably already attended but most churches in the Baptist tradition are easy going on rules for dressing. Jeans and a button down shirt are often fine for men.

Re: masks. You're new. Now isn't the time for disagreements about what amounts to trivialities among members. Show up with your mask off so they can politely ask you to put it on. Let them know you appreciate their risk is staying open and though you disagree with masks you'll wear yours to respect the congregation's decision. I assure you men established in the church are probably already discussing your concerns about masks.

Aboulia

Robin
I hope this is the proper place to inquire about a new direction I am taking. I am 32 years old and have never attended church before. Once I reached age 30, I gave myself the goal of reading the King James Bible, and it has been a very eye-opening experience (especially during these crazy times).

Your family member is right for not wanting to wear a mask. Think about what you're doing symbolically when you wear a mask. You're putting a barrier between people, it says by the action that either you or the person you're near is unclean and there should be no crossing that boundary. It's an incredibly isolating act. You cannot form solid trusting relationships with others while isolating yourself from other people which. How can you form a sense of community if you're scared of other people, and the germs they may carry? It's an outward manifestation of "Polite people don't talk about religion/politics" and keep topics to empty vapid surface level discussions.

But hey, if you want to wear a mask to fit in, go ahead. I personally won't go into a place that enforces mask wearing. I have not yet worn one, nor have intentions of ever wearing one.