The God pill

Speculation

Kingfisher
Why was this initially so hard? Because, like most Westerners, I live in comfort, surrounded by thousands of distractions, all of which dull the intuitive intellect, since it's all sensory information. To find God, you need to be uncomfortable, and to be in stillness and silence. It's the only way. Most people are going to struggle to give up 'the world' to give God their full attention when a dopamine hit is just a mobile phone click away. Part of what helped me was learning to always choose the difficult and uncomfortable over the opposite.

Does the Western World make a little more sense now? A world that is constantly distracted by mobile phones and devices and twitter and forums cannot ever be still and silent enough to know God. A hypersensitive world that can't bear to mortify their will against even the slightest personal discomfort can also, never know God, because it won't go through the painful process of purification. God won't force anyone against their will, and it takes a level of deep heroism and ability to suffer pain to be able to endure what God will do to you.
Thanks for this. It verbalises something I was suspecting, but hadn't defined. I came across the documentary 'The Social Dillema' last night and it reinforced my research into over-stimulation, dopamine addiction and other diseases of modern Western living. All the signs are saying the same thing.

Thanks also for your nuts and bolts primers on the various stages of faith and other subjects such as consolation/desolation. Its practical guidance that isn't easily accessible elsewhere and its very helpful to understand the more difficult periods of worship (desolation) are entirely natural and necessary for growth.

AnonymousBosch

Crow
Gold Member
Thanks also for your nuts and bolts primers on the various stages of faith and other subjects such as consolation/desolation. Its practical guidance that isn't easily accessible elsewhere and its very helpful to understand the more difficult periods of worship (desolation) are entirely natural and necessary for growth.
If you dig into Catholic Theology or Mysticism, it's understood that the prayers said during dryness and Desolation have much greater spiritual merit than those said during Consolation. This is why you should always remain faithful regardless of what you currently 'feel'. As such, I asked God earlier this year to dry up all sensible consolation for me entirely, other than those He wills due to my weakness, and that to love him perfectly I preferred to walk in the Darkness of Faith. I was sincere, not presumptuous, and he seems to have granted my wish.

Since human language can't really describe what is happening now, I can only offer metaphor: I said to God a few weeks back before the second night started that I was weary of my own weakness holding our relationship back, and it was time to put my childhood issues to bed for once and for all, and that I didn't care how painful or uncomfortable it was going to be, just, it's time. Let's do it. You're with me and I trust you. The way I tried to explain it to Him was, you know how sometimes if a bone has set incorrectly they need to break it again so it can heal properly? Short term pain, but long term healing. So, bite down on the pain. If God needs to break me to fix me, all I can say is offer my YES of perfect consent, and say "Thy will be done."

You can think in this manner with everything you have to give up. The Purgative Stages (the two nights) are short term states, unless God wills you remain there for extraordinary reasons - St Teresa of Calcutta made a superhuman act of pure faith for 50 years, and deserves her Sainthood - but that's not the path for most of us. The long term payoff for the dark nights is direct experiential knowledge of God, and, eventually, spiritual union. Meaning, the things you cling to, thinking they're treasures aren't really missed once they're let go of and shown for the baubles they are, and what replaces it is beyond our imagination or comprehension.

I've experienced the 'arrows of love'. There are no words to describe the intensity of being loved like that. It's beyond every sense pleasure I have ever experienced, but it's happening beyond sense understanding - it's a spiritual understanding of love. Why did I ever think *sex* was as intense as things could get? It's *nothing*. And this is before Union, with three grades of prayer left to ascend out of the nine.

And that, I think, truly sums up the tragedy of modern Western Society. I was reading a Russian Political Site yesterday, and it mentioned that Liberalism really attracts people who can only dream small by nature: they only want the freedom it promises for petty, physical things like sexual pleasure, avoiding slut shaming, engaging in sodomy, petty power, or overeating and can't seem to imagine anything grander for themselves other than some imagined utopia which allows them to commit these small acts free of restriction, and absolutely nothing with a genuine spiritual component.

bomp

Pigeon
Hey @bomp, did you end up attending? How is it going?
I did...not.
A niggling voice in my head is asserts that I'm just rationalizing continuing to be a recluse, but at the same time I feel my qualms about inserting myself into a community that willingly complies with such restrictive virus-related social engineering aren't unjustified (see related post). I realize Catholics have practiced under worse conditions, but I can't utilize religious fervor that isn't there. Perhaps I'll just wait until I move to a freer state.

redbeard

Hummingbird
I did...not.
A niggling voice in my head is asserts that I'm just rationalizing continuing to be a recluse, but at the same time I feel my qualms about inserting myself into a community that willingly complies with such restrictive virus-related social engineering aren't unjustified (see related post). I realize Catholics have practiced under worse conditions, but I can't utilize religious fervor that isn't there. Perhaps I'll just wait until I move to a freer state.
Ahh, sad to see. That sounds miserable.

It's possible that you're rationalizing, but it's also possible that the actions of that church are turning you away. Could be both! Have you looked at other parishes in your area? What about a Traditional Latin Mass parish? Feel free to DM if you would like.

Either way, you could also start doing your own home catechism class. The St. Joseph Baltimore Catechism paired with The Imitation of Christ is a great starting point.

bomp

Pigeon
Have you looked at other parishes in your area? What about a Traditional Latin Mass parish?

Either way, you could also start doing your own home catechism class. The St. Joseph Baltimore Catechism paired with The Imitation of Christ is a great starting point.
The one in question is a TLM parish, which makes the current circumstances more disappointing.

I've been looking for alternatives, but a lot of them have restrictions of the same caliber or worse. I found one old parish that doesn't even have a website or any social media accounts which seems promising. I figured if any parish around here would be less compliant about virus stuff, it would be this one.

I've also got pdfs of both the books you suggested. I'll bump them up to the next spot in my reading queue.

AnonymousBosch

Crow
Gold Member
I did...not.
For those who read my previous three posts: this is how easily people are derailed by the demons due to trying to judge the spiritual by the sensible emotions. Do you see why so few give up and fail to ever reach contemplation when God shuts 'feelings' down?

Bomp: stop overthinking it and letting the demons give you 1000 excuses. Just go to Church and offer up your discomfort to God and it will have greater spiritual value than visiting the most glorious Cathedral. Life is not perfect, and the perfect circumstance won't arise. If you say "Perhaps" or "Not now" then the answer is "Never."