The God pill

Belgrano

Ostrich
Gold Member
nomadbrah said:
Who has answers for someone who suffers?

The Buddha.

It is noteworthy that of all the major and minor religions, it seems that it's Buddhism and Christianity which spend the most time and effort contemplating the nature of suffering in this world and offering a way out of it.

I would also agree with other people in this thread that the number of lifestyle Buddhists in the West is regrettable.
Ususally if you ask these people questions like "Have you read the Pali canon?", "Which sutra are you studying right now?" they'll stare at you like a deer in the headlights.
What is Mahayana, Theravada, Vajrayana, and what are the differences?
Over thousands of years of history, who are some influential monks, scholars, or schools of thought that you find interesting or insightful, and what did they ponder, preach or postulate?
I mean most can't even name the four noble truths or the eightfold path.

Also, while in the Western sphere of thought, religion and philosophy are more or less separate, in the Eastern world view this separation does not exist in the same way.
What we call "Buddhism" alone is an extensive, rich and deep edifice of ideas, spread over a vast continent and over the aeons built up and developed by numerous cultures, peoples and societies.

While they all had the same starting point, over time they went into many different directions. Some just stuck to the original teachings, some didn't. Some pray to statues for a good harvest or rain. Some ventured into mysticism. Some broke all taboos in their search for answers. And some even killed the Buddha.

"Buddhism" is a very convenient label, but doesn't reflect the world of ideas that are described by it.

You could compare the Western lifestyle Buddhist with some Asian person that comes up to you and says something like:
"Oh, Christianity is so fascinating! I read a book about it once. It's all about love and spreading the love, right? Jesus said love is the answer! It makes so much sense to me. I now consider myself kind of a Christian, you know. It's such a deep message, being compassionate, helping each other, being a good person. I even went to visit a Church once, it was an amazing experience, such a spiritual and mystical place. We just don't have that where I'm from! I'm thinking about doing a retreat at this monastery to learn more, you know, just living with the monks, praying, thinking about life and finding myself."

We've probably all met someone like that, usually with religions reversed though.
They don't see that they are barely scratching the surface of the real thing.


Anyway, in completely different news, that:

062ab1859f139159ec981c921a9470d9.jpg


is a snake's head.

No way around it, and no way that it's just a coincidence. Especially considering what the rest of the building looks like.
I don't think that the architect and the artist just happened to be pranksters trying to stick it to the Church (and somehow absolutely nobody noticed).
It's intentional.
 

Eusebius

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Not sure how appropriate this may be. This is really difficult to share. I've really been struggling in my circumstances for the best part of a year. It's been perhaps the hardest 12 months I've had since I was in my early 20s. Big financial problems among other things. A couple of times, in the small hours of a sleepless night, I prayed to "whatever might be out there".

You know what? I felt a presence or voice saying "they" would make me wealthy if I surrendered to them. I knew what was up and felt a chill up my spine and I emphatically said no, never. I was not on any substances at this time (or ever, apart from the occasional drink). So I told the evil to fuck off no matter how hard my personal circumstances got.

That's all. God hasn't showed up yet.
 

Avoy

Robin
Basically, you can look within for answers or follow a monotheistic religion and leave it to blind faith in a supernatural being. There are many paths one can take. To each his own. A God Pill infers there's either only one true God and way of life or a universal God and globalist religion we can all get behind -- neither will satisfy everybody and both concepts are man-made and human specific in a vast universe that goes way beyond us.

earthinmilkyway.jpg
 

Christhugger

Kingfisher
It's exciting to be having this revelation that seeking God and learning about Christianity is not just for dumb "man in the sky" people who can't "overcome their fear of death and seek out science and reason instead", as I used to think... BUT...

My biggest fear right now is that I am starting down this path of seeking God simply because I am getting married, early 30s, and succumbing to the idea of having children, not chasing pussy at all, and wanting to live a "meaningful" life . And that all this search for deeper meaning and finding wisdom in religion is is a rationalization to justify the cowardice of getting married to a regular, sensible girl; instead of taking a risk, chasing the dream, and perusing the ultimate male goal of becoming a 40 year old mulit-millionaire with a 20 year old 10/10 wife.

On the flip side - I am also having severe regrets for even waiting this long to think about marriage and children. So much historical redpill advice was getting men to the realization that they don't need to get married right out of college, and that banging into your 30s+ and settling down later is a viable and even preferred option. Now, I'm not so sure. I used to think that guys were nuts getting married young. Now I look at same-age friends and family who have 5 year old kids and wonder wtf was I thinking for waiting so long...

Other than watching Dr. E. Michael Jones videos, what should I do to keep developing? Really hoping to find a good not-to-hard-to-understand reading/viewing list that will walk me through with baby steps.
 

Christhugger

Kingfisher
Avoy said:
Basically, you can look within for answers or follow a monotheistic religion and leave it to blind faith in a supernatural being. There are many paths one can take. To each his own. A God Pill infers there's either only one true God and way of life or a universal God and globalist religion we can all get behind -- neither will satisfy everybody and both concepts are man-made and human specific in a vast universe that goes way beyond us.

earthinmilkyway.jpg

That's just what every sensible scientifically minded person thinks because they are totally hung up on the "supernatural" aspect. It makes it so easy to just go along and be like "yeah, see - giant universe - religion is silly"

Now though I'm realizing that Christianity never was that, and this perspective was fed to me all my life by collaborators to make me think my ancient lineage were dumb people not worth respecting.

As far I can tell so far, God is something like the idealized anthropomorphized "being" who understands the truth behind and reason for all things. Seeking God is seeking perfection of consciousness and understanding of the universe and humanity within it. If one is not willing to place God above "humanness" into a "supernatural" position, then he will always be striving for goals within the realm of the human/animal world only.

I'm also starting to understand why Jordan Peterson wouldn't let go of the "true enough" concept after hours of debate with Sam Harris about simply defining words like "true" "fact".
 

questor70

Ostrich
Avoy said:

Which naturally leads us to this:


I saw Monty Python's Meaning of Life on the verge of puberty and let me tell you, it wasn't so much as funny but horrifying. The intentional demystification of sex that you partly get here or more appropriately the scene about the schoolmaster talking about "vaginal juices" to a bored classroom. That punch-line keeps reverberating decades after I was squirming in my seat watching it (probably next to my parents). It was the blackest of black pills.

My point is that everyone starts out initially in life with a sense of wonder and anticipation of reaching this or that life goal. The pinnacle of this (IMHO) is indeed puberty when the prospect of sex is like unwrapping and playing with the ultimate toy.

As you go through life you begin to move the goalposts until you reach a mid-life crisis:

And you may find yourself (fill in the blanks)
And you may ask yourself, well
How did I get here?

There is a remarkable sameness in people's motivations. I understand the school of thought that says that we should all lead humble lives and not get too hung up on personal ambition, but for me, that pre-programmed sameness is a sure-fire way of making anyone feel like little more than a wind-up toy playing through a script.

The banality of "basic" motivations means everyone is judged by more or less a standard set of criteria: looks, money, status. But what happens if you do get the beautiful house and the beautiful wife? Well, the wife hits the wall, divorce rapes you, and you wind up living in a van...down by the river.

So I really think the goal of life is to find what else it is beyond those basic life goals you want to do that makes you feel special. And it's not for anyone else to judge what that is. It's a completely personal thing. What society deems worthy of respect almost always reflects the lowest common denominator, which is why the likes of Cardi B are a thing.
 
Avoy said:
Basically, you can look within for answers or follow a monotheistic religion and leave it to blind faith in a supernatural being. There are many paths one can take. To each his own. A God Pill infers there's either only one true God and way of life or a universal God and globalist religion we can all get behind -- neither will satisfy everybody and both concepts are man-made and human specific in a vast universe that goes way beyond us.

earthinmilkyway.jpg

Looking for answers in the universe have led many to Christianity. The more we discover of the universe the more convinced they are of its truth.
 

scorpion

Hummingbird
Gold Member
The best thing you can do if you want to understand Christianity is to study the Bible. Christians believe that the Bible is not just another book - rather, that it is actually the inspired Word of God, authored by the Holy Spirit through the special inspiration of chosen human authors. Unlike man-made institutions and traditions, the Bible has not changed since it was written. It remains uncucked and unpozzed. A true understanding of Scripture brings a deep and unshakeable faith that doesn't rely on any single man or group of men or church or human tradition. If you want to know what God and Jesus Christ is about, go directly to the source and find out for yourself. I can recommend two excellent resources for studying the Bible. I have shared these over the years with several guys who have gotten a lot out of them, and I personally have as well.

The first is the site www.ichthys.com . This is a scholarly ministry of Dr. Robert Luginbill, a Christian professor of Classics who is fluent in Hebrew, Aramaic and Ancient Greek. His knowledge of the Bible and his love for Christ are as great as his web design is simple. He's been operating this site for over twenty years and there is a tremendous amount of content there (you could literally spend months reading through it all). I would recommend guys start out by reading through his series on The Satanic Rebellion and then follow that up by reading The Coming Tribulation. Together, these two studies essentially provide bookends for the Christian worldview as taught in the Bible. They explain the origin of humanity, our purpose on Earth and our ultimate destiny as children of God. I really cannot recommend these highly enough. If you actually take the time to read through these studies and understand the teachings, it will do more for your faith and understanding than anything else. A lot will suddenly click into place once you have this background knowledge.

The second great resource I can recommend are the sermons of Dr. John MacArthur, who has been preaching for over fifty years now. He is also a Biblical scholar fluent in the ancient languages, and his preaching style is simply to take a few verses of the Bible and go in depth as to their meaning. That's it. He believes in the power of the Bible to speak for itself and doesn't try to impress with rhetorical preaching techniques or emotional appeals. He's just a Bible teacher. His content can be found at www.gty.org which is the website of his ministry Grace to You. They have a 24/7 stream there of his sermons, and all of his sermons are searchable by topic and available for download. But the easiest way to listen that I personally recommend is to listen to the Grace to You Radio podcast (just search for that on whatever podcast app you use). This breaks his sermons down into convenient 30 minute chunks that you can listen to whenever.
 

Avoy

Robin
I see where this is going. I just checked out Roosh's Twitter feed. Not feeling the slave, servant, or son take on submission.



I posted this previously in the Roosh's 'Inversion Agenda' & the Satanic Reversal thread.

Humans are very self-centered creatures who think the world/universe and God's interest only revolves around them because we were created in his image. Hate to break it to you... if God is the creator, then everything in the infinity of space is made in his image. Even the concept of God is too limited because our brains can't process thoughts beyond what is humanly possible.

I later said... Buddha himself one-upped me! I'm now in this camp.

No Creator God
The Buddha pointed out that no God or priest nor any other kind of being has the power to interfere in the working out of someone else's Kamma. Buddhism, therefore, teaches the individual to take full responsibility for themselves. For example, if you want to be wealthy then be trustworthy, diligent and frugal, or if you want to live in a heaven realm then always be kind to others. There is no God to ask favours from, or to put it another way there is no corruption possible in the workings of Kamma.

Do Buddhists believe that a Supreme Being created the universe? Buddhists would first ask which universe do you mean? This present universe, from the moment of the 'big bang' up to now, is but one among countless millions in Buddhist cosmology. The Buddha gave an estimate of the age of a single universe-cycle of around 37,000 million years, which is quite plausible when compared to modern astrophysics. After one universe- cycle ends another begins, again and again, according to impersonal law. A Creator God is redundant in this scheme.

No being is a Supreme Saviour, according to the Buddha, because whether God, human, animal or whatever, all are subject to the Law of Kamma. Even the Buddha had no power to save. He could only point out the Truth so that the wise could see it for themselves. Everyone must take responsibility for their own future well-being, and it is dangerous to give that responsibility to another.

Ultimately, you should follow what you think is right. What makes sense and connects best with you.
 

Kaligula

Woodpecker
scorpion said:
The best thing you can do if you want to understand Christianity is to study the Bible. Christians believe that the Bible is not just another book - rather, that it is actually the inspired Word of God, authored by the Holy Spirit through the special inspiration of chosen human authors. Unlike man-made institutions and traditions, the Bible has not changed since it was written. It remains uncucked and unpozzed. A true understanding of Scripture brings a deep and unshakeable faith that doesn't rely on any single man or group of men or church or human tradition. If you want to know what God and Jesus Christ is about, go directly to the source and find out for yourself. I can recommend two excellent resources for studying the Bible. I have shared these over the years with several guys who have gotten a lot out of them, and I personally have as well.

The first is the site www.ichthys.com . This is a scholarly ministry of Dr. Robert Luginbill, a Christian professor of Classics who is fluent in Hebrew, Aramaic and Ancient Greek. His knowledge of the Bible and his love for Christ are as great as his web design is simple. He's been operating this site for over twenty years and there is a tremendous amount of content there (you could literally spend months reading through it all). I would recommend guys start out by reading through his series on The Satanic Rebellion and then follow that up by reading The Coming Tribulation. Together, these two studies essentially provide bookends for the Christian worldview as taught in the Bible. They explain the origin of humanity, our purpose on Earth and our ultimate destiny as children of God. I really cannot recommend these highly enough. If you actually take the time to read through these studies and understand the teachings, it will do more for your faith and understanding than anything else. A lot will suddenly click into place once you have this background knowledge.

The second great resource I can recommend are the sermons of Dr. John MacArthur, who has been preaching for over fifty years now. He is also a Biblical scholar fluent in the ancient languages, and his preaching style is simply to take a few verses of the Bible and go in depth as to their meaning. That's it. He believes in the power of the Bible to speak for itself and doesn't try to impress with rhetorical preaching techniques or emotional appeals. He's just a Bible teacher. His content can be found at www.gty.org which is the website of his ministry Grace to You. They have a 24/7 stream there of his sermons, and all of his sermons are searchable by topic and available for download. But the easiest way to listen that I personally recommend is to listen to the Grace to You Radio podcast (just search for that on whatever podcast app you use). This breaks his sermons down into convenient 30 minute chunks that you can listen to whenever.

I wouldn't like to be unkind to the learned man, but maybe someone should point out, especially since Roosh has just started on The Way, that this two Armageddons - Antichrist's and Christ's - doctrine is recognized neither by the Catholic Church nor the Orthodox Church.
The final, puryfying fire has been always Protestant obsession, with the Rapture concept. On the other hand, the Catholic and the Orthodox have the Sacrament of Confession, so do not have to live in the constant tension and fear of eternal condemnation.

I suggest reading J.N.D. Kelly Early Christian Doctrines as a general introduction to the formation of Church teachings and how variable they were.
 

Kaligula

Woodpecker

@ RIslander

Religion is not feelings only. Truth is not unimportant. What someone on the quest does want to hear? A joke? Or a direction?
We trivialize too many things already .
 

debeguiled

Peacock
Gold Member
@Rigsby

Sounds like your life is challenging enough right now.

Putrefaction is great as a Jungian metaphor.

No need to have a stinky kitchen on top of that.

Otherwise known as shitty composting strategy.

You need more carbon in your pile.

Please consult handy chart:

carbon-nitrogen-sources.png


P.S. Don't let Kona try to pawn some of his lawn clippings off on you. Lawn people have the same problem as you. Too much Nitrogen in their pile.
 
You simply trying to achieve full philosophical alignment

Yes secular modernity is sick

Yes religion is a social necessity

But I'm sorry no, as a strict factual matter, there is no God. There is nothing
 

Kaligula

Woodpecker
It seems that some people here have urgent blasphemous desires. After the first example... the next, and the next one cannot be just a mistake.
And some of them have been around quite a while.

People! If you do not respect God, respect a man, and be quiet. God will hear and know you anyway.
 

lex the impaler

Woodpecker
I don't understand why the atheists feel the urge to contribute, even though they've been asked politely not to. Interesting path for you Roosh. I wish you the best. However, how will you reconcile the fact that your earlier books are leading men to sin? I might be wrong, but I view your situation as similar to that of St. Augustine.
 
lex the impaler said:
However, how will you reconcile the fact that your earlier books are leading men to sin?

Men have to learn how to attract a girl and keep her attracted to him. Talking about "sin" won't keep a Christian girl from dumping your ass because she's bored. Men can't be competent at managing a relationship without extensive experience. I was a nice catholic boy and girls shit all over me and I never understood why lol. Men have to build their value, women do not.

Meekness is absolutely repellent to women, even nice Christian girls.

Men have to compete in many ways, I always found irony in the Church accumulating billions tax-free, then scoffing at men for having strategies to get women & money.

The priest is living tax-free, then judging us for all the hoops we have to go through to attract a mate? fuck that
 

TheFinalEpic

Pelican
Gold Member
I guess this begs the question of separation of God from the church, and to what degree you would have to be a practicing Catholic, Christian etc. to feel the presence of God. If the church is 'subverted' as many claim it to be, where do we turn for our education on the subject of finding and embracing God?

I have a load of questions about this.

The human condition is one of suffering. Everyone suffers at one point or another, and it's likely the thing that brings all of humanity together in one shared experience, as sad and depressing as that is. We all experience loss, pain, and hurt in many points of our lives. Is it an embracing of this pain that allows us to get closer to God?
 
Top