The Google thread

godzilla

Pelican
Thanks.

Does Brave use any other aspect of Chrome other than this User Agent?

The article I linked up above states Chrome is a Google product ( and obviously has been caught spying )

I like Brave, it's really fast. Won't load comments to youtube videos though, which is fine most of the time, if I wish to read comments I'll switch to Firefox. But Firefox is horrible these days on Win 10 for some reason, the audio and video is out of whack on it. Brave plays back Youtube videos perfectly. I just don't want to conned into thinking Brave is not a Google product, when essentially it is.
The code to build Chrome was open sourced a few years

This is why Brave is similar to Chrome.

Google does not have your data.

But who knows with Brave. This is Brave's Privacy Policy, which they might or might not be adhering too

Brave browser is also open source..

The comments go away because Brave's code tries to block any third party content, which often times can also lead to pages not loading the same way you would see on Chrome.

8ball

Kingfisher
I think there is like 20-30 states that were talking about filing antitrust suit against google and it may go further than what the EU has done.

The advertising monopoly of google + facebook needs to be broken.

Also its perfect timing with covid, all major companies have slashed their ad budgets and with so much few add dollar spend the acquisition costs have plummeted.

Love to see folks getting into this issue.
As someone who interviewed successfully at google a few years ago prior to waking up in Christ, I'm ashamed to say that I was at one time a google fanboy..
I have since repented and no longer use any google service.. no chrome, no gmail, no google drive (that was a hard one).. I changed the password to my 10+ year google account to something random, didn't write it down, turned off account recovery, and boom.. cold turkey.. Highly suggest doing the same.
I also suggest not using Windows (Gill Bates) or Mac OS (sodomy central). I've been running Linux (try Manjaro or Artix or Arch or something good) for the past few years.. I'm torn from an opsec standpoint about what I can say, but let's just say that it is possible to run Linux in certain hostile (corporate) settings if you're committed (and good at figuring things out). Free / Libre software is more important than is commonly understood.

regarding browsers, check this out if you want a good run down of Brave
Much Love

Benedictus

Pigeon
Very recently (last 24h) people noticed that when you type "demon" into google translate, the first definition returned is:
a police officer.
Google disabled the popup definitions for this word and only shows examples and synonyms instead. However, if you try other words the definitions will still come up as they normally do.

1595952587303.png

MRAll134

Woodpecker
I have been moving away from Google over the last 6-7 years. It all started when they delisted my small Blog from search results. Then, they instituted policies about editing posts, on my Blog, if I wanted to stay in the Google Adsense program. So, I dropped Adsense for Amazon. Now, they advertise their social justice policies, disguised as email, in my Gmail account, which I am now switching to Protonmail. And, I dropped Chrome for Brave, because Google had so much tracking software on Chrome. I swear it is a bunch of green haired harpies who work at Google. Everything they do is anti-user.

Max Roscoe

Kingfisher
This probably has been posted elsewhere but go on google and do the following image searches:

“White pregnant woman”
“European people history”
“White couple”

and then switch the race to chinese, hispanic, black, what have you. Incredible. It's amazing how blatant the fueling of 'White Hatred' is getting.

I use duckduckgo now. But when I do go to google I like to search for 'Google is a bunch of f**king sc*mbag d**ks*cking a$$muchers'. Surprisingly nothing shows up.
Also try "white nationalism" and then "black nationalism"

Handsome Creepy Eel

Owl
Gold Member
Not sure if this was posted in here already, but Google is now aggressively pushing its own products through the search engine, giving them automatic #1-3 spots regardless of their actual popularity:

Some search results can consist of a whooping 70% Google products. Even worse, some of that content is not even created by Google, but is simply stolen ("scraped") from websites without their permission. This is not just destructive to smaller websites, but even to major corporations. Websites like TripAdvisor are seeing traffic for popular hotel and destination listings simply vanish overnight.

The last nail in the coffin is the fact that Google also does this on topics that are purely for entertainment, such as song lyrics, animal sounds, celebrity gossip, scientific questions, etc. It's not even profit-seeking at this point, it's sheer malice.

European Union has already given them several multibillion fines for this (a drop in the bucket for a company the size of Google, but at least it's something), while the USA keeps wringing its hands and doing nothing.

gework

Ostrich
Gold Member
I have been moving away from Google over the last 6-7 years.
My site used to have Google Custom Search Engine, Ads and Analytics. Now it's just down to Ads, which I am dumping when I get time to install the new ads.

The 'scrapping' from Google can be very beneficial for traffic - if you can get the position zero result. To get that you need to get primary keywords in a condensed fashion. You can find out what those are by looking up the main questions people search for, for your content. At the end of last year I made some on-site changes and setup a script that took several days to spin out paragraph text gear to taking the position 0 spot. I think traffic is up about 50%, a lot of it from position 0. But I wonder if there will come a day when Google just rips out all my data. I've translated to Russian and Russia is quickly becoming a major source of traffic. I might do China, Japan and Korea too. They won't be big spinners, but it will diversify away from Google.

I started my migration away from Google about 10 (?) years ago when they merged all their products into one Google account. I remember one day (maybe 2008) seeing I was all of a sudden logged in to Google Search all the time from logging into Analytics; and then finding out all my searches were being logged. That was my the first scare. Previously I'd been fairly open on the internet, leaving giant trials of my name, address etc. It was easy to start piece lots of info together on me. So I went through the long task of getting rid of that. Then around 2012-13 I became apprehensive about logging of web traffic, but didn't get a VPN until Edward Snowdon. This was when a lot of web traffic was on HTTP.

By the end of the year I want to be down to just Google Search. Need to dump Android and Ads.

MRAll134

Woodpecker
This was when a lot of web traffic was on HTTP.

By the end of the year I want to be down to just Google Search. Need to dump Android and Ads.
I am on HTTP, but researching HTTPS. I have a custom template, so it is a bit difficult to upgrade. Hopefully, I will get it sorted this year.

The Amazon affiliate is okay for ads'. I am definitely making more through them than Google Adsense.

gework

Ostrich
Gold Member
I am on HTTP, but researching HTTPS. I have a custom template, so it is a bit difficult to upgrade. Hopefully, I will get it sorted this year.
What do you use for a server?

There is now something called Let's Encrypt that you can install with a command or two via the command line. It gives you free SSL. I imagine cPanel etc. have something to install it.

EndlessGravity

Woodpecker
There is now something called Let's Encrypt that you can install with a command or two via the command line. It gives you free SSL. I imagine cPanel etc. have something to install it.
Let's Encrypt has a new, very simple command line registration on Linux servers. I forget what it's called.

Cpanel should allow you to do it but many shared hosting providers block your ability to add SSL without paying them. Some offer it for free.

There are methods to do it for 3 months at a time that work but are a pain and not as secure.

MRAll134

Woodpecker
What do you use for a server?
I am on the old school Blogger. They are upgrading the platform and there is an "https" option. But, it does not work for me, because I installed a custom template. I am wondering if I need to purchase an SSL certificate. There is no server involved, that I have.

I generally use Brave for a browser, ProtonMail for email, DuckDuckGo or SwissCows for search, and Lbry.tv and Bitchute for video. Got rid of FaceBook a year or two ago. Never thought Twitter was worthwhile to begin with--basically people throwing bumper stickers at each other.

Have to confess, I do use Google and YouTube on occasion -- when I am waiting for something else, it is amusing to search for things I will never, ever buy. Google is trained to think I am in the market for Rolex watches, fancy jewelry, and private jet flights, when in reality I am not. Even if I had the money I would not buy such things. The all-knowing Google thought I might be interested in a Bently yesterday. They even ran ads from the Biden campaign asking for donations--if that ain't hilarious. May seem petty, but if enough people convince Google to advertise things that the viewer will never buy--the advertisers may move on to something else.