The HEROES ACT- COVID Relief Stimulus Package 2.0

Hindu Man

Sparrow
Make the loans dischargeable in bankrupcy. Put the onus on the bank to decide if Becky's $120k investment in "finding herself" with a geder studies degree is really going to bear fruit.. The price of university will drop immediately.
Ramon from Harlem can beat Becky in terms of useless degree. He be studyin' Black Queer Studies at New York University, while watching the NBA and Lebron James during his free time

Ramon is an educator, interdisciplinary artist, and sociologist who is developing a concentration in Black Queer Studies at Gallatin. A native of Ellenwood, Georgia, Ramon received their Bachelor of Arts degree in Sociology from Morehouse College with Cum Laude honors. As a Richard J. Koppenaal Scholar, much of Ramon’s work explores Black LGBTQ+ institutional politics at “single-sex” HBCUs and more recently, fatphobia, identity formation, and ontology. Ramon is interested in how “racialized and imperialist conceptions” like gender harms the socialization process of Black people and Black “single-sex” institutions. While completing their MA at NYU, Ramon worked as a graduate assistant at NYU’s LGBTQ+ Resource Center. They later transitioned and continued documenting and archiving the LGBTQ+ political history of Morehouse College. This research experience paired with their previous organizing efforts also impacted their perspective on institutional queer/transphobia and how LGBTQ+ student labor is exploited to promote diversity and inclusion.

New York University - Gallatin seems to have a lot of useless degress, as it allows for "independent study": https://gallatin.nyu.edu/people/alumni/graduatealumni.html

James Gain studied Young Adult Literature: https://gallatin.nyu.edu/people/alumni/graduatealumni/james-gain.html. Unless James is rich, I'm sure he is still trying to pay off student loans from his worthless degree--8 years later.

kel

Pelican
Yeah, Gallatin is a meme school. Years ago I met a girl who was going to Gallatin doing a self-directed degree in "aesthetics". I thought it was hilarious at the time, but now in hindsight "aesthetics" is way, way this side of reasonable compared to the shit you see coming out now.

Geomann180

Ostrich
Gold Member
I'm generally wary of any bill like this because there's so much extra tacked on and it's hard to get through every single page to make sense of it all. But I've also accepted that they'll pass or not, regardless of my wishes.

I will say that an extra $1,200 and a year long rent freeze, should this bill come to pass, would go miles towards putting me in better financial straits in the immediate term.

Not to say I'm just focusing on the positives as if there aren't negatives from this bill I'm not aware of, but rather, I might as well focus on the positive parts and taking every advantage that I can.

G

ball dont lie

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Making the loans dischargable, but still government loans, is the same as saying that all loans should be erased. If the loans become dischargable, there will be millions of people who decide its better to file bankruptcy and get out from 80-150k of loans. Then govt will print money and make give it to the govt agency making the loans.

All loans need to come from private banks, they set the market on interest rates and all loans need to be dischargable with bankruptcy. Then further legislation needs to make sure private banks making loans to university students can never get money from the govt to cover their losses.

Most universities would go bankrupt in a few years. That would be a good thing for society as a whole, but lots of people would lose their job and cause further recession like problems.

None of this will happen. Free gender studies degrees are on the way. The system for creating brainwashed, fairly bright shock troops can never end. Maoists need their true believers to do the grunt work.

kel

Pelican
Most aren't government loans per se, they're private loans that are cosigned by the US taxpayer. That's the lynchpin part of the equation. Get rid of that, make the private financial institutions responsible for these loans, just like they should for a home loan or a small business loan. Ask a bank for $100k to start a cafe that has no chance of ever being successful and they'll tell you no. The same exact thing should happen with worthless degrees. Then universities would be forced to get rid of their bloated administration, which is where most of the massive increase in tuition costs has gone, and to be competitive with each other.

Hindu Man

Sparrow
Most universities would go bankrupt in a few years. That would be a good thing for society as a whole, but lots of people would lose their job and cause further recession like problems.
Most aren't government loans per se, they're private loans that are cosigned by the US taxpayer. That's the lynchpin part of the equation. Get rid of that, make the private financial institutions responsible for these loans, just like they should for a home loan or a small business loan. Ask a bank for $100k to start a cafe that has no chance of ever being successful and they'll tell you no. The same exact thing should happen with worthless degrees. Then universities would be forced to get rid of their bloated administration, which is where most of the massive increase in tuition costs has gone, and to be competitive with each other.
I agree with kel. What is the cost of administration?

-Program coordinator of Epidemiology, University of Tennessee--College of Public Health ($60k to 80k?)

-Professor of Economics, Duke University ($200 to $250k?)

-Director of Business Analytics program, University of Texas at Austin ($100k to $150k?)

-Marketing coordinator for the combined BS/MS program in Finance & Geology, University of Colorado at Boulder--Leeds School of Business ($50k?)

-I think professors at University of California at Berkeley make $250k / year; on par with doctors! WTF?!

Look at these obscene yearly salaries, while a middle class family would have to take on a $50k to $80k loan to study Epidemiology at University of Tennessee.

I would love to see these type of people lose their jobs...LOVE.

In the short-term it would create a recession. Long-term a healthy and productive society.

Easy_C

Crow
US disentanglement from China is happening. The “green lobby” (there’s some behind the scenes power players who fall into that camp...hard to tell if legit or following orders) who are pushing hard not only to disinvest from China but also for funds to liquidate all holdings in “dirty” CO2 producing companies.

If done this way that’s not a great thing because this may very well produce a war.

US disentanglement from China is happening. The “green lobby” (there’s some behind the scenes power players who fall into that camp...hard to tell if legit or following orders) who are pushing hard not only to disinvest from China but also for funds to liquidate all holdings in “dirty” CO2 producing companies.

If done this way that’s not a great thing because this may very well produce a war.
I had a momentary jerk reaction to scream "YOU MEAN WE CAN HAVE STAR WARS AND MARVEL COMICS BACK?"
But alas, they were both illusionary versions of the bible story anyway.

Ramon from Harlem can beat Becky in terms of useless degree. He be studyin' Black Queer Studies at New York University, while watching the NBA and Lebron James during his free time

New York University - Gallatin seems to have a lot of useless degress, as it allows for "independent study": https://gallatin.nyu.edu/people/alumni/graduatealumni.html

James Gain studied Young Adult Literature: https://gallatin.nyu.edu/people/alumni/graduatealumni/james-gain.html. Unless James is rich, I'm sure he is still trying to pay off student loans from his worthless degree--8 years later.
The thing is, a degree doesn’t necessarily lead to a good job, but almost everybody with a good job (outside the trades) has a degree (or two or three). Depending on the field, everybody who is working may even have one of those “worthless liberal arts degrees”. Therefore, most young people will continue to think degrees are necessary—because EMPLOYERS think they are.

paninaro

Kingfisher
I will say that an extra $1,200 and a year long rent freeze, should this bill come to pass, would go miles towards putting me in better financial straits in the immediate term.
That $1,200 comes from the taxpayers i.e. the average joe.

A rent freeze comes from the pockets of landlords, who are still on the hook to pay their mortgage, property taxes, upkeep, etc. How is that fair to the landlords? Most landlords are individuals renting a property or two, not major corporations.

Imagine if there was a rent free and your refrigerator broke. Should the landlord be expected to fix that, even though you're not paying rent? Or can landlords declare a "maintenance freeze"?

Geomann180

Ostrich
Gold Member
That $1,200 comes from the taxpayers i.e. the average joe.
I know.

A rent freeze comes from the pockets of landlords, who are still on the hook to pay their mortgage, property taxes, upkeep, etc. How is that fair to the landlords? Most landlords are individuals renting a property or two, not major corporations.

Imagine if there was a rent free and your refrigerator broke. Should the landlord be expected to fix that, even though you're not paying rent? Or can landlords declare a "maintenance freeze"?
I'm not advocating for this bill to pass. Just the opposite.

Even if it were to pass and I wished to take advantage of what I could, I'd still do my homework. I still haven't spent the $1,200 Trumpbux I got because the wording in the bill was that it was an advance of next year's tax refund to you. So in case they ask for it back or give me $1,200 lessback in tax refunds, there it sits.

I've got no idea how a rent or mortgage freeze would look like and I'm not even calling for it.

And right now, I don't expect my landlord to fix dick because I live in an apartment complex and I doubt any maintenance person wants to risk rona, real threat or imagined, to fix something not life threatening.

G

Hindu Man

Sparrow
The thing is, a degree doesn’t necessarily lead to a good job, but almost everybody with a good job (outside the trades) has a degree (or two or three). Depending on the field, everybody who is working may even have one of those “worthless liberal arts degrees”. Therefore, most young people will continue to think degrees are necessary—because EMPLOYERS think they are.
Yes, that is generally true. The ones with worthless liberal arts degrees with a good job tend to have studied at a "top ranked" university (i.e. Duke, Stanford, etc). I have seen on LinkedIn people from Duke University (North Carolina) who studied political science/philosophy in their undergrad now working at Goldman Sachs (if you still consider that a good job, nowadays). The elite universities enable you to study bullsht courses and get a good job once you graduate. Worse case scenario they use their powerful alumni network to get a job--wherever they are located in the world. For example, Stanford University alumni chapter in London, England.

If you studied literature at California State University, Chico and paid out-of-state tuition; well then you fall into the Becky category who wants to discover herself.

Interacting with undergrads in the 18-22 age range, most seem to have common sense. A lot of them are majoring in STEM fields like Computer Science (which used to be heavily in demand, but is now replaced by Data Science). I completed my undergrad many, many moons ago--but I see a difference with the younger generation--at least the ones at decent or high ranked universities.

Last edited:

Easy_C

Crow
Hindu Man gets it. I’m from a peer business school to some of the ones mentioned.

since I’m moving to a red state you know what the first thing I’ve done is? Look up alumni and make some calls. I’ve actually got one of those calls scheduled for a few minutes from now

Hindu Man

Sparrow
^^Thanks Easy_C, I would like or thumbs up your post but I do not know how to.

It will be interesting to see which universities open up or close during Fall 2020 semester. Harvard can afford to do online courses, while average money-hungry universities will have to resort to a hybrid format:

"That will include wearing face coverings: Masks will be mandatory for students and employees, CU officials said.

The Boulder campus, which enrolled more than 35,000 students in fall 2019, aims to be less population-dense."

I think California State is doing fully online for fall: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2020/05/14/cal-state-pursuing-online-fall

Last edited:

Hindu Man

Sparrow
Neal: Negotiations underway on HEROES Act

SPRINGFIELD, MA (WGGB/WHSM) -- Efforts are underway on Capitol Hill to get a second round of stimulus checks out to Americans across the country.

The HEROES act just needs approval by the Senate.

Western Mass News has been following developments with this latest coronavirus relief package, which passed in the House, and right now negotiations are underway to get it to the Senate.

Its the $3 trillion COVID-19 stimulus bill proposed by House Democrats.

Congressman Richard Neal - chair of the House Ways and Means Committee - told Western Mass News they're working with Senate leaders to get it across the finish line.

"We are in discussions with the Senate now. As you know Sen. McConnell has shifted gears and said he’s open to negotiation. He’s laid out some markers and I believe that the thrust of what we have suggested more money for state and local governments, more money for hospitals, and advanced retention tax credit for employers to keep employees working," Neal explained.

Under the act - there would be a second round of stimulus checks and for those unemployed - there would be an extension of the $600 federal unemployment compensation and unemployment benefits till 2021.

Plus a policy that encourages employers to keep their staff on the payroll.

Top republicans seem to be pumping the brakes on the new stimulus spending.

Senator Mitch McConnell spoke out saying much work is needed to be done.

"I think there will likely be another bill. It will not be the $3 trillion bill for the House passed the other day, but there’s a likelihood more will be needed. It’s my view that we are to be very carefully targeted to correct the mistakes [that are] certainly made passing the multi-trillion-dollar bill in one week," McConnell noted.

Neal said both sides need to agree.

"I think they’ll be an honest debate about unemployment insurance. I think that both sides have a position. As you know, we have put in place legislation that would expire at the end of July. So we think there’s room there for some negotiation going forward," Neal explained.

So how long till the senate votes?

Neal said its a waiting game, depending on negotiations.

Easy_C

Crow
@Hindu.

One thought.

The students you and I interact with from undergrad won’t be the typical ones. We’re usually getting STEM or business-topic majors with a plan. Probably some MSF or MSIS types. All of those are gonna a bit diff than your gender studies majors as far as common sense and aptitude.
It’s also uh....different when you’ve got 30 thirsty as hell kids all in a queu trying to kiss your ass just because of who you work for. It gives me a little better of an understanding why hot girls are the way they are.