The Honk pill (Clown World)

Read the rest of my post.
There is a rule about having your dog on a leash. "sir can you please put your dog on a leash" ... Your response is "who the fuck are you to tell me what to do".

Again, what if you don't put on a leash and your dog's in my way. I kick it out of the way. What are you going to do?

Again, the area is specifically a protected wildlife area- because there are rare migrating species of birds - and the guy apparently a passionate birder... - and again this is a densely populated city with not enough green space.

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
I'm surprised how many people don't think this dog luring guy is not a total arsehole. Would anyone really be accepting of some stranger ordering you around? Maybe it's my teenager like distaste for authority - but if some stranger were to ask me 'sir, your dog should be on a leash' - the first thought i have is the anger of 'who the fuck are you to tell me what to do'. I'm not going to take what they say at face value, because i would have already judged my actions to be reasonable.

That's funny.

Someone without an attitude problem might have just wrongly assumed that you were a sensible, civil and basically normal person who simply didn't realize their dog was supposed to be leashed in that area.

So they ask you to put your dog on a leash only to find out that you're not a sensible, civil and basically normal person who simply didn't realize their dog was supposed to be leashed in that area.

That's one of the reasons I left the city. The sensible, civil and basically normal people are being replaced by the kind of person who walks their dogs off leash and then become hostile when asked to obey the same reasonable rules everyone else is required to abide by.

Someone without an attitude problem might have just wrongly assumed that you were a sensible, civil and basically normal person who simply didn't realize their dog was supposed to be leashed in that area.
problem is this woman had done it multiple times. She refused to put on a leash when the guy asked. Where i live dog owners refuse to control their dogs and/or put them on a leash when there are specifically laws saying they need to be on a leash. This is not a suburban dog park its a crowded city with limited green space where cooperation is necessary. Dog owners ignore the law and other people. A significant portion are mostly selfish, immature and narcissistic. A pretty sure sign is when they virtue signal they 'rescued' their dog from a shelter.

Oberrheiner

Pelican

I'll just say one word. Physiognomy.

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
problem is this woman had done it multiple times. She refused to put on a leash when the guy asked. Where i live dog owners refuse to control their dogs and/or put them on a leash when there are specifically laws saying they need to be on a leash. This is not a suburban dog park its a crowded city with limited green space where cooperation is necessary. Dog owners ignore the law and other people. A significant portion are mostly selfish, immature and narcissistic. A pretty sure sign is when they virtue signal they 'rescued' their dog from a shelter.

I agree completely. I'm a dog guy for life, but a lot of dog owners are complete jackasses.

Meanwhile some dude wandering around with a pocket full of dog treats and a gripe about leashless dogs is also creepy as hell.

Another reason I left the cities. Everyone's got an axe to grind and often the weirdest bloody way to grind it.

I agree completely. I'm a dog guy for life, but a lot of dog owners are complete jackasses.

Meanwhile some dude wandering around with a pocket full of dog treats and a gripe about leashless dogs is also creepy as hell.
I grew up with dogs and love them but not as my fur-baby emotional comfort family member :)

I think he was just frustrated.. the idea is to freak the non compliant owner out - the only way to keep the dog away is to.. well... listen to the law :)

He seems like he is a pretty passionate birder - he was featured in the documentary on the subject a few years ago - and that is a sensitive area for rare migrating species.

mr-ed209

Sparrow
Look, from how i interpret that video i see a lady walking a dog in a nice wooded area causing little harm to anybody - the kind of place it would seem perfectly reasonable and pleasant to walk a dog. A decision that seemingly had been made by many other dog walkers previously; owing to this guys preparedness for his petty vengeance campaign.

To be confronted in such an over the top manner for something as trivial as walking a dog in the 'wrong place' irks me - as it would many reasonable people. As i mentioned, the ladies lost her job and all that from this - it's hard to justify how that is in anyway reasonable.

Look, from how i interpret that video
And therein lies the problem, and your 'Fuck off" first reaction was telling. You're not responding to anyone's observations and facts about it.

something as trivial as walking a dog in the 'wrong place' irks me
in a city with 8 million + people with limited green space and a protected area is not 'trivial' . Again, I ask you to put your dog on a leash during leash hours and you don't and your dog is blocking my path, you're going to get annoyed when I shove it out of the way? Is it all about you?

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
The irony is that leash laws are necessary because a lot of people are afraid of free-roaming dogs due to childhood incidents caused by morons letting their dogs free-roam.

It's a vicious cycle of narcissistic stupidity.

ball dont lie

Kingfisher
Gold Member

Another reason I left the cities. Everyone's got an axe to grind and often the weirdest bloody way to grind it.

Im also a dog guy. I was all for the black guy until the dog treat thing. Seriously, what the hell is that?

I dont like the kids in the neighborhood being loud and angry so I have a pocket full of candy to lure them over so I can hit them? What if people said that. Guy sounds like a pyscho.

Woman is also a nut. But its NYC and thats almost a given.

ilostabet

Pelican
In my day, running from vicious dogs was part of a normal afternoon for a teenager - it was good exercise and a bonding experience. I remember once having to ride my bike full speed through a thick forest patch to get away from two Dobermans from the local drug dealer (which we taunted, to be fair - it was summer and not much to do). Fun days.

Zenta

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Living in a neighborhood that I see at least 20% of the daily people walking carrying sticks due to the fear of stray dogs running around, I would say there is some merit to carrying dog treats if you wanted to be able to distract a stray or mellow it out by giving it food vs having to resort to hitting it with your stick. Just food for thought.

mr-ed209

Sparrow
in a city with 8 million + people with limited green space and a protected area is not 'trivial' . Again, I ask you to put your dog on a leash during leash hours and you don't and your dog is blocking my path, you're going to get annoyed when I shove it out of the way? Is it all about you?

Cool, just kick peoples dogs out the way then, enforce the rules as you please with as much clumsy heavy handedness as you so wish in a given moment. But don't be surprised when people retaliate.

Cool, just kick peoples dogs out the way then, enforce the rules as you please with as much clumsy heavy handedness as you so wish in a given moment. But don't be surprised when people retaliate.
the hypothetical situation was:
i ask you to put your dog on a leash, in a leash only area.
you refuse (as you so elegantly said, you want to tell 'me' to fuck off)
Your dog is blocking my path

I get it, it's my fault. It's all about you and your feelings.

mr-ed209

Sparrow
So now you're inventing a hypothetical scenario to suit your argument?

The woman and dog in the video are not in this mans way. You can clearly see the man is on a path and the woman and dog are out of his way. This guy went out of his way to confront her. She is also already restraining the dog during the video; so could be said to complying. But it's still not enough for this bloke, he still wants to film her, he still wants to win his point. Look maybe he's right, maybe that dog really was tearing up the trees (although I really doubt it from the footage). It's still not at all his place or jurisdiction to dish out punishment for it; delegated impartial authorities exist in our society for that very reason.

Look if a dog is jumping at strangers and that then yeah, fair enough yeah obviously that's not cool. But that isn't whats happening here.

So now you're inventing a hypothetical scenario to suit your argument?
No, I was talking in general principles because you seem to feel you have a right to disregard this law in crowded urban green space.
But for the record, yes, I have had asshole dog owners refuse to leash their dogs and then the dogs block running and walk paths and jump on people, including me.

Look maybe he's right, maybe that dog really was tearing up the trees
in a city like new york, if you let literally thousands of dogs a day in this area then yes the damage is cumulative, in my city the local park has been reduced to dirt - largely from dog owners ignoring off leash laws.
Have you ever lived in a densely populated city?

but even without that the reason this area is protected is because rare, migrating bird species and a fragile eco system. Dogs and cats for that matter, will naturally go after these birds and other wild life when they see them. That's why they are required to be on a leash.

let me ask it another way, why do you feel you have a right to ignore the law?

mr-ed209

Sparrow
let me ask it another way, why do you feel you have a right to ignore the law?

I'm not the one ignoring the law :laughter:

Im a big supporter of the law; when its enforced by the people elected and given the sanctions to do so. I'm certainly not a supporter of people subjectively taking the law into their own hands and serving out punishments as they see fit, are you?

Repo

Hummingbird
I don’t think the dog treat thing is weird at all, it’s pretty common in areas where dogs are allowed even if you don’t have one of your own. Great way to calm down an aggressive dog with an owner who can’t control it, or to chat up with other people in the park and be friendly. Suddenly in today’s society being social and friendly is creepy ‍:hmm:

I'm not the one ignoring the law :laughter:

Im a big supporter of the law; when its enforced by the people elected and given the sanctions to do so. I'm certainly not a supporter of people subjectively taking the law into their own hands and serving out punishments as they see fit, are you?
kindly re-read my posts and yours. You said you wanted to ignore the leash laws.

There is nothing subjective about the law she had her dog off the leash where they are explicitly not permitted to be off a leash because its a sensitive nature area.

What part of this don't you understand?