The Honk pill (Clown World)

DanielH

Pelican
Could someone give a better context for non-Americans? Is 3.2 a pretty mediocre average? Feels like it if grades are from 1 to 5.
In my high school if you were taking normal classes a perfect grade was a 4.0, honors classes raised the cap if you got an A to 4.2, and AP classes raised the cap to 4.4, basically a built in curve, but I don't think all schools do that. A 3.2 could be a person who is smart but frequently doesn't do homework or an average person who does their homework.

C-Note

Ostrich
Gold Member
To be fair 1 million / 18 is just 55 k per school. Plus she’s probably received some outside grants for her community and ethnicity. So that's actually just a built up story that makes it seem much more impressive than it is. I applied to only 4 schools but if I had applied to 20, I'd have gotten that much money, atleast (my grades and scores were elite however, self call).
A lot of private schools with annual tuition rates of $45k-75k a year will tell an applicant like this that they'll award her a scholarship worth 50% of the tuition (actually, all they're doing is just waiving 50% of the tuition, it's not really a scholarship). If she falls for this trap, her annual tuition will still be over $25k, which will give her $100k in student loan debt when she graduates. According to the article, most of the schools she applied for are private schools. Temple is the only public school mentioned. If Temple offered her a full ride scholarship, then she should take it. But, I bet many of her teachers and other adults in her life will pressure her to go to one of the more expensive private schools.

Papist

Sparrow
2.5 million views. I'm surprised youtube hasn't pulled this. It's a rap song about Clown World. ( profane language)

Wow! This guy's great. It's not really my type of music, but his message and lyrics are brilliant. I really want to see this guy do well, and I've subscribed to his videos and will try to buy some of his stuff, as I think their needs to be a financial incentive for this sort of stuff. I will share it widely.

Seadog

Kingfisher
Grades here are 0 to 4. Based on this, 3.2 is four B's and one A, which is not terrible but not great. However, it is great for a black student.
Similar in Canada, I'm not sure why they don't just stick with a numerical grade like they did in our high schools, but not university. So much more straight forward, and makes for much easier comparisons instead of applying 2 transmutations, which often have different rules.

Basically 90-100 = A, though in some cases it was 80-100, with +/- on the upper or lower ranges, = GPA of 3.7/4.0/4.3, except in the states I believe, where they don't have 4.3 for A+, maxes out at 4.0, which is stupid. A B+ and B- cancel out to average 2 Bs, yet an A- and A+ average out to give you less than an A?

B = 80-90, or 70-80, = 3.0

C = 60-70/70-80 = 2.0

D = 50-60/70 = 1.0, with the caveat that many programs only allow you to stay in if you were above 2.0 average.

Anyways not stupid, shes definitely above average, numerical average probably in the low-mid 80s, which would have put here on the happy side of the cusp of getting into most engineering programs here, but likely not with any scholarships. I actually remember a friend of mine 20 years ago as we were finishing up high school asking "so where are all the scholarships for the white guys with slightly above average academics?" Of course clown world wasn't in full force yet, smart phones didn't exist, and the internet was still new, novel, and a bit wild-westy.

FrancisK

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Similar in Canada, I'm not sure why they don't just stick with a numerical grade like they did in our high schools, but not university. So much more straight forward, and makes for much easier comparisons instead of applying 2 transmutations, which often have different rules.

Basically 90-100 = A, though in some cases it was 80-100, with +/- on the upper or lower ranges, = GPA of 3.7/4.0/4.3, except in the states I believe, where they don't have 4.3 for A+, maxes out at 4.0, which is stupid. A B+ and B- cancel out to average 2 Bs, yet an A- and A+ average out to give you less than an A?

B = 80-90, or 70-80, = 3.0

C = 60-70/70-80 = 2.0

D = 50-60/70 = 1.0, with the caveat that many programs only allow you to stay in if you were above 2.0 average.

Anyways not stupid, shes definitely above average, numerical average probably in the low-mid 80s, which would have put here on the happy side of the cusp of getting into most engineering programs here, but likely not with any scholarships. I actually remember a friend of mine 20 years ago as we were finishing up high school asking "so where are all the scholarships for the white guys with slightly above average academics?" Of course clown world wasn't in full force yet, smart phones didn't exist, and the internet was still new, novel, and a bit wild-westy.

When I was finishing high school in the early 2000's they were actually starting to do away with the special consideration for minorities, the pendulum really swung hard the other way. A 3.2 gpa would have got you a pat on the head and into mid-tier schools, that's all.

tumblr_narpd2OGVe1rb2l1co1_400.gif