The Joe Rogan thread

la bodhisattva

Kingfisher
antman333 said:
On a lighter note. This was fascinating:

This was a really good episode. I typically listen to Rogan in the car or as semi-ambient background noise when working out. I started out listening to this one while cooking. A few minutes in and I realized I needed to actually watch and listen to this one. This guy grabbed me more than anyone than perhaps the first Gad Saad interview years ago.

Towgunner said:
renotime said:
Tulsi Gabbard is against open borders and she's running as a Democrat. I'm too lazy to link right now, but she was on Rogan's podcast talking about it. She thinks it's a better idea to help Americans before we help illegals. I guess she's a democrat stuck in 1995 or something.
Elsewhere you have another democrat like Andrew Yang, who is talking about a very very important issue of technological automation. Yang is encouraging because this is a very real issue. FYI I'm a conservative and, apparently, I'm supposed to be all about unrestricted capitalism etc. Ergo, leave this to the market to determine and it will all work out like usual. I've actually never thought this and conservatives do not believe in unfettered capitalism. Like everything optimal conditions is key. Apropos, minimize exogenous interference with markets, but, by all means, interfere when necessary. Difficult line, indeed. I for one would have let the large NY investment banks go down in financial crisis last decade. Here with automation, I can see where this will lead having lived through a technological disruption myself. I work on Wall Street. Recently I was at Steak House near the NYSE. What was once a bustling hotbed of Wall Street floor brokers and traders flipping corporate amex cards in between 18 year single malts and fillets is now something like a museum of dinosaurs. An average institutional salesperson on the street would be bringing in $250,000 to $300,000/year. Above average...you're in the 700s. Top sales people, consistently > $1mm. And then came electronic trading networks (ECNs). Basically automated trading. No more fat smelly former athletes from Trinity College that complain that his bonus was 5 K too small, even though he's holding a check for $450,000.00. Yes, this all happened, all the time. No more of those headaches. Today instead of Mackenzie McChad it's an indifferent machine that needs no enormous bonus to fund his lavish lifestyle and divorced wife(s) and kids. And this machine will trade the socks off of old McChad. The street has never been the same and never will be. This happened to a highly sophisticated, high customer interaction model...and so it can happen anywhere. And it will. If they ever introduce self driving cars the entire fleet of human truck drivers, almost entirely men without college degree, will be displaced. Equity salesmen and traders are a tiny minority, so, their demise has no measurable impact on society, save for a NY Steak house or two. But, millions of truck drivers. And then what, they're all supposed to just "learn how to code"? They drive a truck for a living! Yeah, just a simple matter of choice, they're all a snap of the finger away from being astrophysicists too.

I shutter to say this, but, Andrew Yang could get me to vote democrat. But, I will never vote democrat no matter what because I refuse to live in a society that says its okay to sexualize and kill young kids. That is the democrat party today.
Technological unemployment was a big issue in the Zeitgeist documentaries 15 years ago. The problem then was minor, but the points have begun to happen. It did not only affect Wallstreet, but many low-tier legal assistant jobs have been already outsourced to automated programs which do the job of legal assistants faster and better. Self-driving cars will come with 100% certainty.

We focus heavily on the few accidents that the Google and Tesla self-driving cars had, but the stats seem to be under human errors. Those systems will improve, maybe add night vision and thus become superior to human drivers by far and then millions, rather tens of millions of men will be made unemployed. This will not only impact lorry drivers, but even all the cab professions.

Sooner or later we require a different economic model. The elite plan don't encompass that - they expect 50% of the population to be eternally unemployment. That is why the basic income comes into play. But that will just mean that they are waiting for those useless eaters to die in misery. Add to it offshoring, open borders trading and open borders immigration and you have exacerbating factors for the West.

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
The problem could be solved instantly by banning women under 40 from the workforce (and expatriating immigrants) but unfortunately civilisations rarely find a reverse gear.

Leonard D Neubache said:
The problem could be solved instantly by banning women under 40 from the workforce but unfortunately civilisations rarely find a reverse gear.
Women out of most workforce positions would be a restructerization, a 30 hours or even 20 hours workweek at equal pay would be other options. But you have to realize that both things would mean that the elite would have to pay high wages to make non-working wives or a 30 hours work-week a reality. Obviously both things can be done top-down in well-off markets that are not open to 3rd world competition, but they are not going to do that. The useless serf economy is more liked by them.

NoMoreTO

Ostrich
Bill Maher on Joe Rogan

A couple of impressions:
- Strange body language especially early on, Bill didn't seem to want to face Joe. He also made a big comment that he invited himself on.
- Overall not a bad conversation, Maher seemed to really lower down the rhetoric, probably because he realizes not all of Rogans viewers are hardcore anti Trump.
- Decent Conversation on Divorce in particular.
- I found the end a little awkward, he got a little pissy when Joe didn't watch his show much, he really pushed Rogan hard to be on his show, and Joe sort of agreed to it with reservation. It kind of signifies that Joe is in fact bigger than Maher.

Towgunner said:
renotime said:
Tulsi Gabbard is against open borders and she's running as a Democrat. I'm too lazy to link right now, but she was on Rogan's podcast talking about it. She thinks it's a better idea to help Americans before we help illegals. I guess she's a democrat stuck in 1995 or something.
Elsewhere you have another democrat like Andrew Yang, who is talking about a very very important issue of technological automation. Yang is encouraging because this is a very real issue. FYI I'm a conservative and, apparently, I'm supposed to be all about unrestricted capitalism etc. Ergo, leave this to the market to determine and it will all work out like usual. I've actually never thought this and conservatives do not believe in unfettered capitalism. Like everything optimal conditions is key. Apropos, minimize exogenous interference with markets, but, by all means, interfere when necessary. Difficult line, indeed. I for one would have let the large NY investment banks go down in financial crisis last decade. Here with automation, I can see where this will lead having lived through a technological disruption myself. I work on Wall Street. Recently I was at Steak House near the NYSE. What was once a bustling hotbed of Wall Street floor brokers and traders flipping corporate amex cards in between 18 year single malts and fillets is now something like a museum of dinosaurs. An average institutional salesperson on the street would be bringing in $250,000 to $300,000/year. Above average...you're in the 700s. Top sales people, consistently > $1mm. And then came electronic trading networks (ECNs). Basically automated trading. No more fat smelly former athletes from Trinity College that complain that his bonus was 5 K too small, even though he's holding a check for $450,000.00. Yes, this all happened, all the time. No more of those headaches. Today instead of Mackenzie McChad it's an indifferent machine that needs no enormous bonus to fund his lavish lifestyle and divorced wife(s) and kids. And this machine will trade the socks off of old McChad. The street has never been the same and never will be. This happened to a highly sophisticated, high customer interaction model...and so it can happen anywhere. And it will. If they ever introduce self driving cars the entire fleet of human truck drivers, almost entirely men without college degree, will be displaced. Equity salesmen and traders are a tiny minority, so, their demise has no measurable impact on society, save for a NY Steak house or two. But, millions of truck drivers. And then what, they're all supposed to just "learn how to code"? They drive a truck for a living! Yeah, just a simple matter of choice, they're all a snap of the finger away from being astrophysicists too.

I shutter to say this, but, Andrew Yang could get me to vote democrat. But, I will never vote democrat no matter what because I refuse to live in a society that says its okay to sexualize and kill young kids. That is the democrat party today.
TECHNOLOGY ALWAYS BRINGS MORE JOBS AND OPPORTUNITIES.

(Sorry for yelling, why do all these myths persist, we've already done the experiments, like with communism, we know, yet for some reason people bury their heads in the sand on all of these things because they love alarmism/dystopia)

NoMoreTO said:
Bill Maher on Joe Rogan

A couple of impressions:
- Strange body language especially early on, Bill didn't seem to want to face Joe. He also made a big comment that he invited himself on.
- Overall not a bad conversation, Maher seemed to really lower down the rhetoric, probably because he realizes not all of Rogans viewers are hardcore anti Trump.
- I found the end a little awkward, he got a little pissy when Joe didn't watch his show much, he really pushed Rogan hard to be on his show, and Joe sort of agreed to it with reservation. It kind of signifies that Joe is in fact bigger than Maher.

Yeah, Bill likely has a higher IQ, but oddly (not uncommon these days) he is less wise than Rogan. And not to knock Joe, but that ain't saying very much.

That's why Maher was acting weird. I applaud Maher for standing up occasionally for sanity (Islam, etc) but it's hard to feel good about any guy when he goes 1/20 on topics. And when he's wrong, he's not just sorta wrong --- that sucks.

Aurini

Ostrich
Kid Twist said:
Towgunner said:
renotime said:

(Sorry for yelling, why do all these myths persist, we've already done the experiments, like with communism, we know, yet for some reason people bury their heads in the sand on all of these things because they love alarmism/dystopia)
I agree, but the monetary incentives are currently broken. I heartily recommend this link.

TL;DR:
  • Software products don't lead to inflation like manufactured products because the money you pay for Microsoft Office doesn't lead to more software engineers working.
  • Technology compounds. For most of human history it was 0%, starting in 1800 it was 1%, in 1950, it was 2%, and around 2000 it became 3%, and it's about to hit 4% compound growth/deflationary pressure.
  • The tax system prioritizes capital & social media over products that require employees, leading to a concentration of wealth at the top.
  • QE likewise spreads the money around at the top.
  • Rich people having more money does little to increase demand for anything; they just invest their money in more asset bubbles.
  • While the freeing of human labour for more productive ends is a good thing, with the present conditions there's no incentive for anybody to hire these people. Because of the direction which money flows, jobs are being eliminated but not replaced.

^ I follow Gada and post there; I'm a skeptic of many futurists and AI guys, for good reason. They have no one to check them, and it always seems to be these "With enough time" faith statements. They are interesting and intelligent, I will say, though.

Batman_

Kingfisher
NoMoreTO said:
Bill Maher on Joe Rogan

A couple of impressions:

I enjoyed this podcast, and was the first one I actually watched to completion in months, since most of Joe's guests are so boring. Maher had a lot of really interesting things to say.

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
Kid Twist said:

Are you serious or are you being sarcastic?

Batman_

Kingfisher
Kid Twist said:

For intelligent people, yes. Good luck teaching 95 IQ truckers how to code.

Peacock
Gold Member
Bill Maher is a 103 IQ media personality whose main schtick is to look down on red state 95 IQ truck drivers. He's not only a mediocre pundit who thinks he's brilliant, he's also an asshole.

Batman_

Kingfisher
911 said:
Bill Maher is a 103 IQ media personality whose main schtick is to look down on red state 95 IQ truck drivers. He's not only a mediocre pundit who thinks he's brilliant, he's also an asshole.
To be frank I've never watched his show at all except that clip with Sam Harris and Ben Affleck. He definitely seems more intelligent than most talk show hosts but I won't disagree that he is a bit narcissistic.

debeguiled

Peacock
Gold Member
911 said:
I'm only a couple of years younger than him and the phrase "OK Boomer" kept popping unbidden into my head. What a windbag. I hereby vow to stop talking about how great things were when I was young. (Until I forget my vow and get hurt feelings when people don't want to hear it.)

Regarding my posts about technology, I aim to slow the roll of the futurist/alarmists, so overall yes, technology will bring far more opportunities than it will destroy lives. We have seen this historically and it will be the case again. Please note that there is also a social check on implementation of such technology, so while the process may be prickly, it doesn't go quickly --- change won't happen fast, I don't care what these AI hacks think because I've already found their religious thinking is quite obvious, it's very similar to climate change thinking.

CynicalContrarian

Owl
Gold Member
Kid Twist said:
Regarding my posts about technology, I aim to slow the roll of the futurist/alarmists, so overall yes, technology will bring far more opportunities than it will destroy lives. We have seen this historically and it will be the case again. Please note that there is also a social check on implementation of such technology, so while the process may be prickly, it doesn't go quickly --- change won't happen fast, I don't care what these AI hacks think because I've already found their religious thinking is quite obvious, it's very similar to climate change thinking.
I've picked up on the quasi-religious sentiments of pro AI folk as well.

"It will be the saviour of mankind...!"

Joke is, as very scientific or technological folk, they probably don't believe or put much stock in the notion of a spirit or soul.
Yet the very spirit & soul of man is what no doubt gives us our sentience.

Hence why I don't believe true machine sentience will ever exist.
Can't have sentience if there is no 'ghost in the shell'...

911 said:
He can be a bit of a smug asshole, but I respect Maher because he at least stays consistent in his beliefs and doesn't cloud "liberalism" with all kind of exceptions for particular identity groups. He is outspoken against religion, but unlike most the liberal establishment, he has the balls to point the finger at Islam as well. He is an old school liberal, but not a full SJW, so to me, he is one of the few that can actually make any non-PC argument and still have liberal ears. Most Hollywood liberals and political leaders have swallowed the SJW pill and aren't coming back any time soon.

NoMoreTO

Ostrich
sanbruno said:
911 said:
He can be a bit of a smug asshole, but I respect Maher because he at least stays consistent in his beliefs and doesn't cloud "liberalism" with all kind of exceptions for particular identity groups. He is outspoken against religion, but unlike most the liberal establishment, he has the balls to point the finger at Islam as well. He is an old school liberal, but not a full SJW, so to me, he is one of the few that can actually make any non-PC argument and still have liberal ears. Most Hollywood liberals and political leaders have swallowed the SJW pill and aren't coming back any time soon.
The difference I have with what you are saying is that Bill Maher suffers from a full blown case of Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Yes, he does have some non PC views, but when you see the way he is about Trump, to me its an insight into the inner Bill. I have enjoyed some of his stuff over the years though, he can have some insights, or say things that you don't hear on regular TV.

Still, his opinions are kind of frozen, it worked better when he was a 40 year old bachelor running the politically incorrect show, now that he is a 60 year old bachelor, it just seems more off.