The Jordan Peterson thread

I know a guy with autoimmune disease. You really have no other option but to remove all the foods that trigger your immune system. So for Jordan it is probably not a suicide to stick to his beef jerky.

gework

Ostrich
Gold Member
I would be unsurprised to find that Mikhaila is not even his. I don't see any of Peterson in her at all.
Jordan's face is there. Hidden somewhere under the geisha slather:

I have not followed this thread for many years, I remember at the start Peterson was greatly favored. What caused this about face?
See the Jordan Peterson political thread.

I think this was one of the most pertinent pieces of evidence:

Rob Banks

Pelican
In my experience, a daughter/son of an psychologist has psychological problems. I remember at least 8 of them with serious issues. I have no idea why but psychologists don't know how to raise kids.
Secular psychologists, as opposed to priests and clergy who deal with psychological issues, automatically reject God as a precondition of their work.

In fact, I’m pretty sure they’d lose their license to practice if they counseled a client to seek God (if the client wasn’t already a practicing Christian).

Rob Banks

Pelican
Secular psychologists, as opposed to priests and clergy who deal with psychological issues, automatically reject God as a precondition of their work.

In fact, I’m pretty sure they’d lose their license to practice if they counseled a client to seek God (if the client wasn’t already a practicing Christian).
this is bs.
Which part of what I wrote is BS? The first part or the second part?

And why?

kazz

Kingfisher
I would not expect a person with a mind like Peterson's to be close to perfect. Seems like he went of the rails in line with his fame, also forgivable.

To people negating the way he speaks and what he speaks about, respectfully you just dont understand him. Im not saying he doesnt babble on at times. Much of what he says relates to evolutionary psychology and clinical psychology, not about God. Which may not be for many people on this forum understandably.

I wish him all the best in his fight with his demons, he has alot to give the world.

Last edited:

EndlessGravity

Woodpecker
To people negating the way he speaks and what he speaks about, respectfully you just dont understand him
Amusing. He's not a heavy weight thinker by any definition. You're also not privy to what's on anyone's bookshelf here. I have yet to meet any Jordanite who's well read.

But who am I to question the eternal wisdom of making your bed.

debeguiled

Peacock
Gold Member
Which part of what I wrote is BS? The first part or the second part?

And why?
Already answered.

There is too much oversimplifying of both therapy and christianity for this discussion to be useful to any of us.

Suffice it to say that god is often working directly and intimately through the last people christians want him to.

Last edited:

Rob Banks

Pelican
already answered.

there is too much oversimplifying of both therapy and christianity for this discussion to be useful to any of us.

suffice it to say that god is often working directly and intimately through the last people christians want him to.
OK, but my point is that modern therapy and psychology often leads people deliberately away from God, either by medicating them or by counseling them to do embrace modern values (divorce, casual dating, etc.) and act contrary to God.

Also, I believe the concept of “mental illness” (as understood by modern psychiatry) is BS and actually describes spiritual dysfunction and/or demonic influence. And I don’t think that’s an oversimplification.

Whether or not the therapists describe themselves as Christian and mention God explicitly is almost irrelevant.

debeguiled

Peacock
Gold Member
OK, but my point is that modern therapy and psychology often leads people deliberately away from God, either by medicating them or by counseling them to do embrace modern values (divorce, casual dating, etc.) and act contrary to God.

Also, I believe the concept of “mental illness” (as understood by modern psychiatry) is BS and actually describes spiritual dysfunction and/or demonic influence. And I don’t think that’s an oversimplification.

Whether or not the therapists describe themselves as Christian and mention God explicitly is almost irrelevant.
This is a far more measured comment than your original one and I agree with it.

Sherman

Ostrich
Ken Wilber talks about the theories of Jordan Peterson in an hour long interview.

Ken Wilber is one of the leading philosophers of the 21st century. He talks about the developmental theory of society called “Spiral Dynamics”.

The three stages relevant to America are:

Blues - the blues are traditionalists, ethnocentric, believe in rules and traditional religion.

Orange - the oranges are those who see themselves as individuals who are either successful or not, where success is measured by accumulation of material goods and wealth.

Green - the greens are interested in social justice and equality.

This model explains the culture wars in America which is basically the blues vs. the greens, with the oranges taking one side or the other.

Ken Wilber coined the word “mean greens”. He believes that after the greens took over academia, they become dysfunctional and totalitarian.

Stage Blue, Orange, and Green are part of Level 1. Those at level 1 are convinced that their model of reality is the only valid one and that the others are wrong. At level 1, there is a complete polarization and breakdown of society, as nobody respects the other’s view and problems can’t be resolved.

Level 2 is above level 1. The first stage of level 2 is yellow. This is the stage of integration. The yellows at level 2 believe the other level one stages are all valuable and need to be integrated in a balanced way so they work together for the benefit of society. Think of a corporation. The CEO would be an orange. A compassionate human resource director would be a green. The blues would be loyal to the company and do valuable work. So all stages of level 1 are needed to have a healthy corporation.

Wilber believes that when 10% of the population reaches yellow, it will transform the world into a yellow society, which is a level above the destructive postmodernism.

In this interview, Ken Wilber says he believes that Jordan Peterson is a yellow stage integrationist. Ken Wilber is also a yellow stage integrationist. He agrees when Peterson initially protested the totalitarian greens in the Canadian government.

0_HkaqFlFM66rpEI5a.jpg

Dream Medicine

Robin
Gold Member
It's a shame that JBP's health and his daughter's relationships have made some turns for the worse. Understandably, such issues have taken away from his credibility as a self-help guru in the eyes of many people. That said, I think gloating at his personal downfall is in poor taste.

For a technical non-believer, he seems to have talked about Christianity a lot, even when addressing topics like 'Identity Politics & The Marxist Lie of White Privilege', originally aired in 2017. While this talk is wordy, it is surely one of his most relevant lectures for socio-psychological commentary in 2020: