The Jordan Peterson thread

C-Note

Hummingbird
Gold Member
It seems that Peterson should only agree to interviews in which the the organization promises to air the complete interview, unedited, and that there is no accompanying written article. This is why he was able to crush it in hostile interviews with Cathy Newman on Channel 4 and British GQ, because they couldn't spin it like the Sunday Mail tried to do. As he notes in his blog post, it was those two interviews which made him famous and able to get his message out to millions of people.

By the way, I don't agree that Jordan's personal and family problems torpedo his message. I think his philosophy is, for the most part, sound and credible and it has helped me. The progressive globalists were evidently hoping that their mind-control drugs had taken him out. Now that he's back they will resume their full court press on him, using every underhanded tactic they can. I will likely buy his new book next month.

philipski

Sparrow
Is that his f’ed-up ho daughter, and is that just photoshop? Or is this the kind of “media” she stars in?
I mean, “content” she “creates“...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamal D

Robin
I have mixed feelings about Peterson. As an historian and lecturer (especially the lectures from early days behind a desk in a class room) I think he is very strong. But his previous assignment with the UN ,never daring to touch the J-Question, certain pictures with communist figures as a backdrop etc...makes me raise some eyebrows.

The one thing I find astonishing these days, after having countless of hours of lectures about communism in particular and Gulag Archipelagot, is that he doesn`t address the global take-over we are witnessing right in front of our eyes. Digital passports, eat the bugz, own nothing and be happy, mandatory vaccines, social distancing, isolationism and mask to name a few.

The informant society, dehumanization, and outcast culture we that is brewing certainly looks like the script taken from the communist playbook.

This would be the time to gang up with Russell Brand and have a reals serious conversation again... Hope he takes his meds and find some courage.

puckerman

Ostrich
I have mixed feelings about Peterson. As an historian and lecturer (especially the lectures from early days behind a desk in a class room) I think he is very strong. But his previous assignment with the UN ,never daring to touch the J-Question, certain pictures with communist figures as a backdrop etc...makes me raise some eyebrows.

The one thing I find astonishing these days, after having countless of hours of lectures about communism in particular and Gulag Archipelagot, is that he doesn`t address the global take-over we are witnessing right in front of our eyes. Digital passports, eat the bugz, own nothing and be happy, mandatory vaccines, social distancing, isolationism and mask to name a few.

The informant society, dehumanization, and outcast culture we that is brewing certainly looks like the script taken from the communist playbook.

This would be the time to gang up with Russell Brand and have a reals serious conversation again... Hope he takes his meds and find some courage.

Thank you for bringing that up. Has he said anything anywhere about the corona virus and the absolutely over-the-top response to it?

jarlo

Woodpecker
Orthodox
Thank you for bringing that up. Has he said anything anywhere about the corona virus and the absolutely over-the-top response to it?
He hasn't written on the virus/lockdowns as far as I know. Besides the article linked above on his recent interview, he's only written one thing during the pandemic, and it's been on the continued cancellations in academia. Here's an excerpt:

I have suspected for years that the STEM fields posed the most dangerous threat possible to the unopposed dominance of politically correct sociological idiocy over the entirety of the university environment, basing their claim to validity on recognition of something approximating a universally accessible objective reality. That claim is too powerful to go unchallenged in today’s climate of moral self-flagellating among those, particularly common in the ranks of university administrators, who want all the advantages of the power high-ranking hierarchical positions provide, but none of the hypothetical moral baggage that are part and parcel of the prejudicial and patriarchal structure that gave rise to those positions. The proper solution? Continual apology for the sins of others who occupy equivalent or superior positions, conjoined with a willingness to damage the reputation of those miscreants, and to force them into an apologetic stance—or even to apologize for their own unearned privilege, as long as that does not result in any true sacrifice of power, income or authority. This is particular evident, in the stories I have related, in the case of the Brock University Provost.

The George Floyd incident has emboldened those who are shamelessly using crooked faux-moral means to stake a moral claim in the so-called patriarchal structure that makes up the academic world. They are certainly able and willing to use the unfortunate death of an individual who had enough of the attributes of a systemically oppressed person to serve as poster boy for the self-serving political claims that are now being made on his behalf. This tendency, unchecked, poses a direct danger to the integrity of precisely those STEM fields that have so far remained essentially immune to the embarrassments and blandishments of the politically correct movement. But, make no mistake about it, scientists, technologists, engineers and mathematicians: your famous immunity to political concerns will not protect you against what is coming fast over the next five or so years: wake up, pay attention, or perish, along with your legacy. Whatever you might offer the broader culture in terms of general value will be swept aside with little caution by those who regard the very axioms of your field as intolerable truly because of the difficulty in comprehending them and considered publicly as unacceptably exclusionary, unitary and unconcerned with sociological “realities.”

Jamal D

Robin
He has not touched the topic yet. There are many years since he has shown some fighthing courage. But his voice, because of the magnitude of his reach, would be welcome now...

Pantheon

Robin
Orthodox
JBP is trapped in the liberal ontological horizon and searches justification for spirituality in a material epistemology. His biggest contribution is to point to the symbolic patterns in the Bible, showing that the stories are not arbitrary. But the truth of the Bible does ultimately not lie in the psychological significance of the stories. It lies in the meaning of the stories themselves.

Eusebius Erasmus

Pelican
Orthodox
JBP is trapped in the liberal ontological horizon and searches justification for spirituality in a material epistemology. His biggest contribution is to point to the symbolic patterns in the Bible, showing that the stories are not arbitrary. But the truth of the Bible does ultimately not lie in the psychological significance of the stories. It lies in the meaning of the stories themselves.

I wonder at times if Jordan Peterson is a Freemason. Exposition of symbols in religious texts, like the Bible, is part and parcel of Masonic religion. Peterson has also made historically wrong claims that have their basis in Freemasonry, such as in his book Maps of Meaning, in which he posits that Christianity arose from gnosticism. Finally, Freemasons are ardent proponents of Enlightenment ideals -- Peterson also espouses such ideals, which are divorced from Christ and His Church.

EDIT. I see that Brother Augustine has already put out a video on this:

EDIT 2. Jonathan Pageau also has a video on this:

My personal view is that Pageau is too much of a Peterson apologist.

What Pageau fails to understand, in this video, is that Satan cannot create -- he can only take divine imagery and invert it for his evil ends. Ultimately, Pageau's thesis implies that symbols have no meaning whatsoever, which is strange coming from a man who makes his living off this.

I also don't get a good feeling from Pageau in general, but that could just be down to personal tastes. Would be interested in @MichaelWitcoff 's take on this.

Last edited:

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
I wonder at times if Jordan Peterson is a Freemason. Exposition of symbols in religious texts, like the Bible, is part and parcel of Masonic religion. Peterson has also made historically wrong claims that have their basis in Freemasonry, such as in his book Maps of Meaning, in which he posits that Christianity arose from gnosticism. Finally, Freemasons are ardent proponents of Enlightenment ideals -- Peterson also espouses such ideals, which are divorced from Christ and His Church.

What Pageau fails to understand, in this video, is that Satan cannot create -- he can only take divine imagery and invert it for his evil ends. Ultimately, Pageau's thesis implies that symbols have no meaning whatsoever, which is strange coming from a man who makes his living off this.

I also don't get a good feeling from Pageau in general, but that could just be down to personal tastes. Would be interested in @MichaelWitcoff 's take on this.
After Pageau made that video critiquing mine (though without ever naming me), I called him out and he offered to debate about it on his channel. I accepted immediately and then he rescinded the invitation.

My take on Peterson hasn't changed; I think he is dishonest, arrogant, and less intelligent than he thinks he is. I understand that he has a place in moving many people from atheism to at least being open to the existence of a higher power, so it seems God is using his platform for some good, though I remain adamant that Peterson has nothing healthy to offer for a Christian who already takes his or her faith seriously. I told Pageau years ago that Peterson was going to crash hard, and offered to intervene to try to help prevent that situation. Pageau's response was basically just incredulity and shock that a more or less anonymous person (which I was at the time) could dare have the gall to suggest I might be able to help such an enlightened master of wisdom as Jordan Peterson. Needless to say I was exactly right about where Peterson's path was going to take him, and Pageau still refuses to pass along my message of outreach.

I still believe I could have helped him had Pageau opened communication between Peterson and I back when I first offered to help.

PaulC

Robin

I was interested in Jonathan Pageau after seeing his fantastic stone carvings and gave him a fair shake by watching a few of his videos and lectures. He seems to spend a good deal of his speaking time looking at the ceiling trying to figure out how to get his point across, usually without success. He says quite a lot and very little at the same time. Overall, his talks remind me of a bag of popped corn...mostly air and unsatisfying.

I quit watching him altogether after a video where he belittled "literalists" who don't believe the Bible is entirely symbolic. His example was Jesus ascending in Acts 1:9-11. He said something along the lines of "Do you think he actually went up? To where, the moon?" It was a very snarky tone reminiscent of Neil deGrasse Tyson or Bill Nye. Reddit seems to be enamored of Mr. Pageau, which is never a good sign.

NickK

Kingfisher
Orthodox

Amazing discussion.
Right now, Jordan is in no man's land, between the Church and the World and he is struggling to choose.
He can't make the right choice by thinking things through, he has to encounter Grace.
Let's all pray for him, shall we?

I think if he does choose God, he will go all the way and we might see him as a monk in Mount Athos.
(Figure of speech, I know he is married).

Peacock
Gold Member
His "inner struggles" are part of his new schtick and new book. This is not new, he's always maintained that fake ambiguity towards the Church, because he's fundamentally a liberal secular humanist whose mission is to keep the flock in that globalist fold, a mission that earned him enormous wealth and status.

It's a lot more likely to see JP sporting a black eye (that he will blame on a fall) than him truly becoming Christian.

Grow Bag

Pelican
Father Trenham comments, rather effusively, on the Pageau interview. In the past I thought of Peterson as using his mentoring role as capitalising on victims of degenerate culture. He did do rather well out of it financially. For me that's a big red flag. It's pastoral work for shekels, and far more than he needs. That he, as bright as he is, can't see that the arc of liberalism steered us away from faith in the Almighty and led us into the degeneracy, is also a concern. I honestly don't know what to think about Peterson now as I haven't listened to him for a few years, apart from the few seconds each time YouTube lines him up next on autoplay.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
The Peterson issue is Father Josiah's major Achilles Heel. I have never been able to understand his lack of discernment on this issue, as he's got piercing insight into more or less everything else. It's rather unfortunate.