The Jordan Peterson thread

in.image.and.likeness

Pigeon
Orthodox Catechumen
Just new to this thread, sorry if I repeat things already posted - but tl;dr.

Been a Peterson fan for a couple of years back in the day (2016). Without him I would not have found other thinkers who were real Orthodox Christians - especially those who critiqued his worldview from a philosophical and theological perspective - thus I learned the flaws in my own limited thinking.

I accepted him being lots of things like a pragmatist, capitalist, globalist, occultist, perenialist, psychologist, scientist - not a traditional Christian at all - but appreciated the insights I gained from him and moved on.

Then I watched the Wim Hof interview he did and was really disappointed to see his hypocracy so blatantly:

At one point, just when Wim Hof starts to criticize the pharma / medical industry suddenly there is a cut and we don't get to hear what Wim has to say.
That one hurt, gotta admit.

Last edited:

in.image.and.likeness

Pigeon
Orthodox Catechumen
She doesn’t say anything here about becoming a Christian, unless I’m mistaken. She just has some loose ideas about encountering ‘God’ in a dream.

Continue to pray for her and her father.
Agee. It's very vage.

I suspect what follows has been discussed already, but anyways:

Peterson has a history of having a mixture of Christian and occult visons/dreams which, due to his perenial worldview (heavily influenced by C.G. Jung), he attributes to a "general unconscious" and not to angels and demons, since he does not seem to have knowledge of the Orthodox teachings regarding theses things - it's mostly psychology and psychodelic experiences connecting somehow with reality.

His daughter would not be far away from that due to his influence as a father. She is openly (social media) immodest, marketing her sexuality and outword appearence for business reasons which makes sense in her pragnatist, psychologist, capitalist worldview.

His wife is reported to have become RCatholic after her miraculous recovery from cancer and is now involved in charity work.

Jonathan Pageau mentioned him and Peterson talking about him getting baptized into Orthodoxy but Peterson changed his mind in the last moment.
Him converting and living the faith like actor Cary Tagawa would be something huge culturally.

Let's indded pray for him and his family.
Lord have mercy on us.

Eusebius Erasmus

Pelican
Orthodox
Peterson speaks out against medical tyranny, albeit when it's too late.

He probably took some polls of his followers and realized that in order to keep selling books, he needed to change his tune.

Also, notice that he only changed his tune when it started to affect him: he has to travel internationally for lectures and what not, and the strict Canadian travel protocols are affecting him adversely.

Early Bird

Robin
Catholic
Peterson speaks out against medical tyranny, albeit when it's too late.

He probably took some polls of his followers and realized that in order to keep selling books, he needed to change his tune.

Also, notice that he only changed his tune when it started to affect him: he has to travel internationally for lectures and what not, and the strict Canadian travel protocols are affecting him adversely.

Better late than never as he might sway some people on the fence towards the truth.

But the timing is suspect.

Next step: start going to church with your wife Jordan. And no more team big pharma.

NoMoreTO

Hummingbird
Catholic
Better late than never as he might sway some people on the fence towards the truth.

But the timing is suspect.

Next step: start going to church with your wife Jordan. And no more team big pharma.

Yes I was listening to the middle portion of the interview and he seems to still be arguing about the God Question.

His response is always the same, "I am thinking about this at a deeper level!" kind of answer. It would be better for him to say I love Christianity but can't call myself one (yet)". To me it would be more honest.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
The interesting thing to note is that Jordan Peterson has mastered his field of clinical psychology and it doesn't help him solve simple problems in his life. Western psychology is a complete fraud.
As someone with a Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology, I couldn’t agree more. They know almost nothing about the mind or brain beyond knowing which regions getting damaged leads to the loss of specific functions. Everything else is theory, and some of the most famous and prominent theories came from people you probably wouldn’t trust around loved ones.

Last edited:

infowarrior1

Crow
Protestant
How on Earth do Christians, least of all Orthodox Christians, like this man?

He has unintentionally served as a bridge to genuine Christianity for many. By going into the symbolic significance of what previously didn't make sense to the materialist-atheist mind of the non-believers of our culture.

But otherwise he does disappoint and as Voxday says. He is in the end a non-believer.

infowarrior1

Crow
Protestant
Man is struggling with the reality of Christ heavily.

There is a good book that could be forwarded to him:

If anyone can contact him. This video is also excellent:

in.image.and.likeness

Pigeon
Orthodox Catechumen
As someone with a Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology, I couldn’t agree more. They know almost nothing about the mind or brain beyond knowing which regions getting damaged leads to the loss of specific functions. Everything else is theory, and some of the most famous and prominent theories came from people you probably wouldn’t trust around loved ones.
I have not red Fr. Seraphim Rose enough to know if he already outlined the following (hyperbolical?) idea of mine:

Due to the fall human passions are out of order and thus we become susceptible to demonic influences, hence we commit sinful acts, thoughts, speech.

The demonic is an outside force for humans to wrestle with with God's help.

Along comes Freud and psychologizes, naturelizes, aka "de-Christionizes", the notion of human nature, demons, evil, passions:

The fall no longer exists, demonic influences become neuroses, quirks, character flaws, etc. and are now placed inside of you and are a natural part of you, the passions out of whack become normal and natural and amoral, the spirtual is replaced by the mental/psychological, to surpress urges is unhealthy, it goes against (deterministic) nature and leads to becoming (sexually) repressed and not "fully human" aka unhappy because of lack of pleasure.

All this can be "treated" by secular confession (psycho therapy aka ripping the soul open by unbelievers), relativism, indulgence, egotism, medication.

End result: the legitimazation, justification of sin under the guise of mental health aka "persuit of happiness".

[Freud was an important figure in the attack on the traditional Christian worldview around 1900]

Lawrence87

Woodpecker
Orthodox
The reason I think Peterson is a gateway to Christianity is because he targets the "lost sheep" (of which there are many in today's society). He then leads them up a big hill and shows them Christ with His flock down in one of the valleys (among many other things) and he encourages you to marvel at these sights. Peterson doesn't really want you to join Christ's flock, however, he actually intends to lead you to a pen and steal your wool to make money for himself (buying his books, going to his lectures, doing his various programs etc). Those lost sheep who are discerning however see Christ and they run down to join him knowing that is where they belong.

I think that's a pretty concise analogy for how someone who refuses to admit Christ as God and saviour can lead so many people to Him.

Uzisuicide

Kingfisher
Protestant
Gold Member

In support of his latest book Jordan Peterson going on tour in 2022.

I'm gonna add it to my growing list of events for an exciting "22.

Eusebius Erasmus

Pelican
Orthodox

In support of his latest book Jordan Peterson going on tour in 2022.

I'm gonna add it to my growing list of events for an exciting "22.

Do what you want, but I can't think of anything more cringe than following Jordan Peterson. The guy had a good 2017-2018, and then he became a money-obsessed Boomer.

He was harmed by Big Pharma's psychoactive drugs, and after he recovered from his injuries, he still took the Big Pharma vaccine.

The man studies totalitarianism for a living, and yet he didn't see Covid tyranny coming, and was late in speaking out about it.

He is the perfect example of the old adage, "too educated for his own good."

EDIT. I looked at where he's touring: many of the auditoriums he's speaking at require a vaccine certificate.

Jordan "B.S." Peterson -- speaking out against tyranny while condoning discrimination. The definition of a hypocrite.

Last edited: