The Kanye West thread

Athanasius

Pelican
Easy_C said:
No doubt.
Lately I've started to question the narrative that these megachurch pastors are getting rich because of exploiting their congregations. If you look at the math for some of these guys....calculate their net worth, then add in things like the operating costs of private jets (1-1.5 mil/year), property taxes on multi-million dollar mansions, operating costs of their venue (look up stadium operating costs to develop comparables for a similar sized seating venue) the math simply doesn't add up.

I don't know their budgets, but it's conceivable that these guys are straight up financially. Unsure if he's still doing it, but a decade ago Osteen was filling that Compaq Center 4-5x a weekend, north of 100,000 people a week. He has a national TV ministry. His Word-faith theology encourages you to give as much money as possible, because if you give that seed money then God will bless you a hundred times over. This appeals to people who want to be rich, which is a lot of people, and it appeals to Joel Osteen because he gets rich. (And why doesn't Joel Osteen send me money, then he can get really rich!). There's a germ of truth in what Osteen says, but it's in service of a lie. I don't know if she still does but his wife used to preach on occasion, too.

One other note: While Kayne West's trajectory is encouraging, it doesn't say much for Osteen that he'd have a layman get up and speak at a service. No church I've been in would ever allow something like that. Granted, the people probably heard more truth there than they have in years listening to Joel...

Thomas More

Hummingbird
Athanasius said:
Easy_C said:
No doubt.
Lately I've started to question the narrative that these megachurch pastors are getting rich because of exploiting their congregations. If you look at the math for some of these guys....calculate their net worth, then add in things like the operating costs of private jets (1-1.5 mil/year), property taxes on multi-million dollar mansions, operating costs of their venue (look up stadium operating costs to develop comparables for a similar sized seating venue) the math simply doesn't add up.

I don't know their budgets, but it's conceivable that these guys are straight up financially. Unsure if he's still doing it, but a decade ago Osteen was filling that Compaq Center 4-5x a weekend, north of 100,000 people a week. He has a national TV ministry. His Word-faith theology encourages you to give as much money as possible, because if you give that seed money then God will bless you a hundred times over. This appeals to people who want to be rich, which is a lot of people, and it appeals to Joel Osteen because he gets rich. (And why doesn't Joel Osteen send me money, then he can get really rich!). There's a germ of truth in what Osteen says, but it's in service of a lie. I don't know if she still does but his wife used to preach on occasion, too.

One other note: While Kayne West's trajectory is encouraging, it doesn't say much for Osteen that he'd have a layman get up and speak at a service. No church I've been in would ever allow something like that. Granted, the people probably heard more truth there than they have in years listening to Joel...

I think it's normal to have somebody with a recent strong conversion to get up and testify to the congregation. I've definitely seen it done before. Kanye took the opportunity to preach a little but it's normal for someone with a strong, fresh conversion level of faith to exhort other people to seek God and turn away from worldly distractions and temptations.

Sherman

Ostrich
Athanasius said:
Easy_C said:

Trusted laymen speak when the minister goes on vacation.

Thomas More

Hummingbird
Sosa said:
Kim Kardashian is submitting to her husband and dressing down like he asked of her and now everyone is killing her for it.

It is good she's dressed appropriately. However, her jacket clearly is too big, with sleeves that are too long. It's like she borrowed this from a bigger woman at the last second, and didn't have anything suitable for church with her.

She still is a fashion trend setter. She's bound to get comments for appearing like this. She should dress sharp but in an appropriate manner, as Melania does.

Soundbyte

Woodpecker
RoastBeefCurtains, That is basically the look she was going for actually. It's an ongoing trend especially in streetwear, where people can wear slightly over sized clothing as part of a look . So it pretty much was deliberate.

Bolly

Pelican
Jesse Lee Peterson. What a character. I don't wanna derail the thread so I'll leave a video below say what i gotta say and bounce. but I cant see this man's face without saying something. The urge is to strong. Can't contain it. He's a huge false teacher teaching a blatantly false Gospel. I think I have more respect for the Pope. He openly says he no longer sins or Is like incapable of sinning because he believes in Christ. And that any true Christian is incapable of sinning..like him. That is so absurd and couldn't be more prideful. Everyone is prideful but by saying he don't sin hes taking that to a whole new level. He might as well as say he's Jesus Christ himself since he don't sin. I'll leave a video of some of what he says. And no nothing's out of context. Peace ✌

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
RoastBeefCurtains4Me said:
It is good she's dressed appropriately. However, her jacket clearly is too big, with sleeves that are too long. It's like she borrowed this from a bigger woman at the last second, and didn't have anything suitable for church with her.

She still is a fashion trend setter. She's bound to get comments for appearing like this. She should dress sharp but in an appropriate manner, as Melania does.

Better that it's not planned and it's precisely as goofy as it looks.

You will never walk the straight and narrow path while attempting to out-fashion and out-trendset the demonically oppressed. If they don't insult you for your clothes then it will be something else. Better to simply get used to being a pariah among them and disassociate yourself from their slander. Better she turns up in sack-cloth than attempts to become "fashionably modest".

The Resilient

Ostrich
Orthodox
Spectrumwalker said:
Jesse Lee Peterson. What a character. I don't wanna derail the thread so I'll leave a video below say what i gotta say and bounce. but I cant see this man's face without saying something. The urge is to strong. Can't contain it. He's a huge false teacher teaching a blatantly false Gospel. I think I have more respect for the Pope. He openly says he no longer sins or Is like incapable of sinning because he believes in Christ. And that any true Christian is incapable of sinning..like him. That is so absurd and couldn't be more prideful. Everyone is prideful but by saying he don't sin hes taking that to a whole new level. He might as well as say he's Jesus Christ himself since he don't sin. I'll leave a video of some of what he says. And no nothing's out of context. Peace ✌

Whoa, I didn't know that about JLP, that's eff'd up.

Yeah, I'm done following figureheads in sociopolitical concerns. Time to forge my own path.

Soundbyte

Woodpecker
Leonard D Neubache said:
RoastBeefCurtains4Me said:

Better that it's not planned and it's precisely as goofy as it looks.
Better she turns up in sack-cloth than attempts to become "fashionably modest".

This makes no sense, honestly. You're doing something wrong if your wife doesn't go to church looking "fashionably modest." I mean, unless she prefers to wear no makeup with jeans and a t shirt. The only difference is that being fashionable at a church usually means wearing a dress or something.

I can see why people are clowning on her, but if Christians and otherwise are talking shit about her in agreement, the she certainly is not out-fashioning nor out-trendsetting the demonically oppressed.

She was probably wearing pointed heels or something to complete the look.

debeguiled

Peacock
Gold Member
Spectrumwalker said:

Have you ever heard of educated idiots?

JLP is the opposite.

An uneducated wise man.

I love this guy so much, and it isn't for his theology. He has such a great spirit, and the way he interacts with people is aMAzing. He can be such a friendly pit bull, asking the same question over and over until it gets answered.

He can yell "beta male!" at his guest and they don't even get mad.

You can tell he has a big heart with a lot of love in it.

So, is he going overboard with is talk of perfect peace and living without sin?

Obviously. He is clearly overstating the case.

People exaggerate all the time, and they get the finer points of theology wrong all the time.

If you kept people like this out of heaven, heaven would be empty.

The Nazarene church believes something similar, that Christians become sanctified and can lead sanctified lives.

I know a whole slew of guys at a Nazarene church who believe this. They have some aMAzing ministries where they help the homeless and drug addicts by getting them involved in their church, and then helping them find a place to live and work.

So are they evil false prophets leading people astray who are worse than the pope?

Or are they fallible human beings going a little overboard in one area of their teachings?

Seriously, you want to go after this guy? He was doing his thing since before some of you were born.

3a05face0535681b671785540589ae038dd77bfaab169236f41eb73e76be06d6_3.jpg

Kid Twist

Hummingbird
I don't have a problem with Mr. Peterson as a person, but the above statements are the definition of insanity. The fact that debeguiled is saying that in any way it is ok for such a man to publicly say to the world he is without sin, and claim to be a Christian, is distressing, to say the least. This is a new low.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
To fair to Jesse Lee Peterson, a person can only see as much of his own sin as God shares with him. If you believe that sin only refers to actions and externals - like stealing, killing, sodomy, etc - then of course many people can and do live without doing those things. It’s when God shows you deeper layers of your own intentions and motivations that you start to see just how much wickedness truly resides in the human heart. So he may not be lying, per se, just doing the best he can with what he’s been given.

If he ever starts down the path of Orthodoxy, the onion will start to unlayer and he’ll realize the work is never done.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
When I made my last post, I hadn't actually watched the video. His saying that drug use and fornication aren't sins is objectively wrong, of course, and if he's doing those things while claiming not to sin then that is indeed a major issue. I still like some of his activism and his intellectual bravery, but that is a very serious error.